• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cryptozoological canon?

A

Anonymous

Being pretty new to cryptozoology, I was wondering what could be considered the real must-reads concerning different fields of c.z. such as a) lake monsters such as nessie et al b) unknown hominids of the world c) abc d) the tasmanian devil e) sea monsters such as sea serpents and giant squids f) other.

The most accesible literature seems to be the least interesting so now I'm turning to you more well read people.

I know Heuvelmans On The Trail is considered to be a classic, but it seems to be very expensive nowadays (in one online bookshop it cost ca 90$). Is this because of rarity or has there been recent editions of it - and is it a must-read?

Many thanks in advance

The best book on lake monsters that I know of is Michel Meurger's Lake Monster Traditions. I can't remember who it's published by but I'm pretty sure it's still available. It's a satisfyingly meaty book but from what I remember it concentrates on the Canadian lake monster tradition although not exclusively. A good source book for anything like this is Mike Dash's Borderlands which, although a more general examination of fortean phenomena, is absolutely packed with references and details of source material. It should be in everyone's library.

Richard Ellis has written two books,one on the Giant Squid and the other"Monsters of the Sea",are both quite worthwhile.Dr.Shuker and Dr.Roy P.Mackal's books are also very good sources.
The edition of"On the Track"you were referring to is the latest one,it came out in '95 or '96.The original edition usually costs a good bit more.

Back