• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cube-Shaped & Rectangular UFOs

Graylien

As if!
Unidentified Flying Cubes

UFOs are usually rounded in appearance, although in recent years sightings of Flying Triangles have been on the increase. But what about cubes or rectangular-shaped UFOs - surely the least practical shape for an aircraft? Here's one report which has just surfaced:

Grand Bend Kansas UFO Sighting

In the early 1960's we lived in Kansas. We were small children then had a house on the North End of Great Bend, on the North end of Morton Street.

One night in 1964 or 65, I looked out of the kitchen window and saw a 'white cube' that glowed like a light bulb. It had a red light glowing on the inside of it. There are or were quite a few radio towers in the area and one huge TV 2 tower farther to the North. The 'cube shaped thing' flew around that radio tower like a moth flies around a light bulb, only slower than a moth and it never hit the tower. Also, the red light was fading on an off like the tower light. Now, I believe the object was trying to communicate with the tower.

When I first saw the object I was transfixed like a deer in headlights!

I ran to get my dad but like most dads, he said not to bother him, so I ran back to the kitchen yelling for my two brothers to come. When I got back to the window it was still flying near the tower. Just before my brothers got to the window it traveled across the field towards me. It started hovering around 75 feet above the ground and was approximately 200 yards away. That's when my two brothers joined me at the window and started asking, "What is that, what is that?"

It spun so fast that it morphed into a spinning ball and appeared as a white streak as it shot almost straight up angling towards the North West and was gone. We were very excited at witnessing how it zoomed away. "That was fast, really fast!", reverberated in the room.

At the North end of the street was a wheat field, then to the North edge of that about one mile is the Dry Walnut Creek and on the North edge of that was the radio tower. The radio tower was around one and a quarter mile from the kitchen window where I first saw it. The 15 houses on our street, including ours, lined up along the wheat field East and West.

Years ago a man asked me about the sighting. He showed me a lot of pictures of UFOs and asked if the object looked like any of them? When I said 'No", he suddenly wore a strange expression on his face. I have no idea who he was. All I know is that he was someone my dad knew. I would like to ask him where he got the pictures and if this sighting was some sort of simulation.

The object was very clear, a perfect shaped cube - not at all blurry. As it flew around the tower it really tumbled and then sped across the field at 100 to 150 mph, rolled a little, but as it hovered it stayed on a perfectly flat plane and slowly turned. It glistened: not bright like a 100 watt light bulb but still glowing. The light was uniform throughout the object. The red light inside the craft disappeared after a few seconds, then it spun into a ball and left.

As I mentioned the object was cube-shaped and reminds me now of the Star Trek Borg ships. I would like to know where the show's creator, Gene Roddenberry, got the idea for that cube ship, although, the only similarity between my sighting and the Borg cube was its shape.

I believe we saw the object because we are not alone on this planet. Whatever we saw flying around that radio tower still intrigues me today!

The way the craft moved makes me believe it was under intelligent control. It maneuvered deliberately from field to field, sped up and slowed down and changed height. It was the size of a small box truck: 20 feet wide by 20 feet long. Today, I believe that the craft was just curious as if it had just discovered us by perhaps following the TV signal with the sub carrier wave to its source.

This is a true story and I wanted to share it.

source
Carl Higdon had a rather visionary close encounter during which he boarded a cube-shaped craft which seemed much bigger on the inside than it was on the outside (shades of the Tardis, although Higdon himself surmised "They must have shrunk me!"). There was also the UFO reported by Jan Wolski which resembled a flying caravan. And how about this:

BLACK CUBE-SHAPED UFO SPOTTED IN QUEENSLAND

Kingaroy, a town in central Queensland about 150 miles (240 kilometers) northwest of Brisbane, is the site of Australia's newest UFO flap.

On Saturday, March 14, 1998, at 6:40 p.m., residents of Kingaroy reported seeing "bright white lights" overhead and near the horizon.

Like clockwork, the mysterious lights returned again each succeeding night--at 6:33 p.m. on Sunday, March 15--at 6:26 p.m. on Monday, March 16--and at 6:33 p.m. on Tuesday, March 17.

During the Tuesday, March 17, sighting, Kingaroy people "reported sighting a rounded-edged, black, cube-shaped object carrying a bright white light...The black cube dropped the white light," which fell to the ground. The UFO then "changed direction" to the northwest, heading straight for Kingaroy.

The witnesses had the black cube in sight for two minutes. "The object appeared to be moving faster than a commercial jet. As the object travelled away, and about the same time of the white light impacting the ground, a loud rumbling sound was heard." (Many thanks to Ross Dowe of the Australia/New Zealand National UFO Hotline for this report.)

source
..or this:
LARGE CUBE-SHAPED UFO SIGHTED IN PORTUGAL

On Monday, July 25, 2005, in the evening, an architect was walking on the beach at Matosinhos in northern Portugal when he spotted an unusual "cube-shaped UFO."

"An architect from Matosinhos told TV Channel 1 in Lisboa that he saw a UFO yesterday while walking the beach at night," reported Casimiro Moreira, UFO Roundup's correspondent in Portugal, "He said the sighting lasted for two minutes. 'It was like a cube floating above the sand, then it flew away towards the night sky, causing an explosion of light at high altitude.'"

Matosinhos is located about 10 kilometers (6 miles) north of Oporto and 235 kilometers (148 miles) north of Lisboa, Portugal's capital.

source

.. or even this rather comical abduction attempt:
Location. Badamzar, Kashkadar’yinskaya region, Uzbekistan
Date: October 22 1989
Time: noon
Several local residents observed the landing of a cube-shaped object, square in form & fiery red in color... Two aliens were visible through the window of the craft. A third alien exited the object and walked towards the village.

The alien was about 2 m in height, with a flat body and no neck, long arms reaching down below his knees. The head was almost bald with small patches of gray hair jutting out near the ears. The color of the entity’s skin was dark, almost black or dark gray. Instead of a nose the humanoid had small openings. The clothing appeared to be made out of leather, on the chest there was an emblem resembling a “red cross” or two diagonal red lines that crossed in the middle.

The alien made an attempt to abduct a local woman (Mrs. Gulasal Khalikova) and her son Muhsinzhon Khalikov. Mrs. Khalikova yelled in her language: “Don’t touch my son! The alien replied: “We will take him”. She replied: No! I will not let you! in turn the alien replied: “ We will take your son for two years, if you want we will take you too.” Mrs. Khalikova refused to go and in a panic both her and son ran away from the alien. A number of her neighbors witness the abduction attempt. Many others saw the object on the ground.

source

Does anyone happen to know of any other cases of cube-shaped UFOs? And is there any possible practical reason why an experimental aircraft might be built in the shape of a cube or rectangle?

Last edited by a moderator:
From July last year:

The pensioner says she's spotted on numerous occasions bizarre things in the sky over Walsall.

Around five weeks ago Veronica spied a chestnut-coloured, square-shaped object over Manor Road.

And recently she has reported seeing something L-shaped hovering.

Veronica said: "The chestnut coloured object flew over my roof - it didn't make a sound. It was that close and low.

"It wasn't a helicopter because it didn't make a noise. It was chestnut brown and it seemed to have something like thick varnish flowing around it.

UFOs buzz hospital

Not in this space?

Perhaps the cubes were not physically in our dimension but only appear to be, and they are not flying craft where they actually exist.

As for the Borg cube, I always thought it was invented in a moment of the writers asking themselves "what's the most unlikely shape for space travel?" or "what's not been done already?"

Re: Not in this space?

ElishevaBarsabe said:
Perhaps the cubes were not physically in our dimension but only appear to be, and they are not flying craft where they actually exist.

As for the Borg cube, I always thought it was invented in a moment of the writers asking themselves "what's the most unlikely shape for space travel?" or "what's not been done already?"

Well its not an unlikely shape for space travel - its an unlikely shape for atmospheric craft. Once you can skip getting things into (or out of) space you can make stuff whatever shape you want.

If we assume they are vehicles then they are either:

1. Utterly unconstrained by various physical laws

2. Only an aspect of something "beyond"

3. Designed for deep space use - so why are they noodling around scaring folks?

The various craft from Skinwalker Ranch seem to suggest they are sort of like porta-cabins or RVs. So this would make them mobile room type affairs? Field laboritories?

As always no explanation seems to comfortable fit the evidence.

Re: Not in this space?

Mighty_Emperor said:
Well its not an unlikely shape for space travel - its an unlikely shape for atmospheric craft. Once you can skip getting things into (or out of) space you can make stuff whatever shape you want.

3. Designed for deep space use - so why are they noodling around scaring folks?

I agree, the wierd thing is not the cube, it's the rest of it.

A noseless alien with long arms and lack of hair with a leather jerkin with a red x painted on it saying "We will take your son" etc is wierd.

It's like it was asking permission.

Not only that, but for some reason I get an image of one of the characters from the 1960's series of 'Planet of the Apes'.

An interesting report of a rectangular UFO complete with occupant has just appeared on UFO Evidence:

Westerville Flying Rectangle

It's rather annoying that the witness spent 40 minutes gawking at the thing through his binoculars but apparently didn't think to try and photograph it.

Emps is right about the Skinwalker Ranch -- the book about the ranch
also quotes Jacques Vallee who investigated many lethal encounters
with the rectangle-shaped craft in South America (I don't remember off-hand WHEN these sightings took place.)
The relatively small craft made a noise like a refrigerator and shot either laserbeam or lightning-type rays at a variety of people. Doctors said at men, women, children, the elderly -- all were injured or killed in equal numbers. IIRC, the beams were not like searchlights - they seemed to be deliberately aimed at their targets. The symptoms were
of radiation sickness and quite a few folks actually died from
the encounters.

Except for Cash-Landrum, I don't recall many other UFO related deaths.
Anyone?

TVgeek

There are plenty of square shaped hot air balloons that fly over our city every night, so they seem to have defied the laws of physics too.

(Post 500 - woohoo!)

TVgeek said:
Anyone?

IIRC, there's one case that was claimed in Brazil.

There actually are quite a few reports of UFOs which show that some of them aren't 'classic' saucer/cigar-shaped. Various shapes include banana/crescent, WWII bomb-shaped, cone-shaped, torus, sphere, bullet-shaped, etc..

In the early 1960's when I was just a little boy I saw and experienced a cube shaped UFO hovering over a barn in Hopewell NJ. It had flashing and pulsing lights on it and round portholes (Windows) In the center. It was so close to the side of the road I could have thrown a rock at it and maybe hit it! When we drove by this cube shaped UFO I totally lost my ability to move and talk until we got home. My father was driving and he stopped talking and drove home without saying a word like a freaken zombie. He never saw it or remembered seeing it. When we got home I burst out crying! Not because I saw this UFO but because I could not talk or move for Aprox 30 minutes. My mom started yelling at my dad saying what did you do to him to make him hysterical? He really could not remember a thing and he only snapped out of it after arriving home as I did! Anyway I never even heard of UFO's when I was that young but afterwards it didn't take long to put 2+2 together and I have been a believer ever since! This is my story and I swear on my life that it is 100 percent true and every time I re-think this experience I get major shivers all the way up my spine!

In the early 1960's when I was just a little boy I saw and experienced a cube shaped UFO hovering over a barn in Hopewell NJ. ...

Welcome to the FTMB ...

Just for the record - are you the same person who posted this more detailed version (below) at ufo-hunters.com a decade ago?

If so - where did the specific date of '03. September 1962' come from?

Hopewell Township, New Jersey (United States)
Sighted on Monday 03. September 1962
Reported on Monday 03. September 1962
Shape: Square, Rectagular | Duration: 00:02:01
Source: MUFON

November 15th 2008
My UFO Experience As A Child In The Early 1960'sThis UFO experience occurred in Hopewell New Jersey in the early 1960's. I was a young child 4-6 years old so it was between 1961-1964.My father and I were driving back from the Flemington fair in Flemington NJ, It was late in the evening and we were cutting through the Hopewell NJ area to get home to Ewing township which is near Trenton the state capital. The Hopewell area had lots of farms and tree filled areas. The UFO was hovering over a barn about 100 feet over the barn just about 500 linier feet off of the road. It was large about 500 square feet in size. The UFO was cube shaped with a few portholes that looked like windows in the middle around the object. The object had different colored lights around it. Some were steady and some were pulsing dimmer and then brighter. Please note: I am now 51 years old and in sound mind. But as I am writing this letter with tears streaming from my eyes, I have huge chills flying up my spine. I also feel scared and very uneasy. This happens every time I think about this. I will continue.As my father and I drove passed this object I lost my ability to move and talk. I was sitting in the back seat at the time and I was almost totally paralyzed. My father just kept on driving. He did not talk to me at all until we arrived back at our home about 30 minutes later. I had no idea what a UFO was at the time of this sighting and I could not move or talk until my father and I arrived at home. After we arrived home I could then move and talk again. I was hysterical and I cried and cried. I told both of my parents about not being able to move and talk which was mainly why I was freaking out. I also told them about the large object hovering over the barn and I explained that was when the paralyses started. My father never saw a thing and he thought that I was crazy to be acting this way. I can remember my mother yelling at my father telling him that I would not be hysterical for no reason at all and drilling him about what really happened. He just said that he never saw a thing.This is my UFO experience! I often wonder if there was more to this then I can remember because it still affects me so strongly to this day. I am weirdly still afraid that this could re-occur. Please share this with others.

SOURCE: http://www.ufo-hunters.com/sighting...y (United States) on Monday 03 September 1962

Unidentified Flying Cubes

UFOs are usually rounded in appearance, although in recent years sightings of Flying Triangles have been on the increase. But what about cubes or rectangular-shaped UFOs - surely the least practical shape for an aircraft? Here's one report which has just surfaced:

Carl Higdon had a rather visionary close encounter during which he boarded a cube-shaped craft which seemed much bigger on the inside than it was on the outside (shades of the Tardis, although Higdon himself surmised "They must have shrunk me!"). There was also the UFO reported by Jan Wolski which resembled a flying caravan. And how about this:

..or this:

.. or even this rather comical abduction attempt:

Does anyone happen to know of any other cases of cube-shaped UFOs? And is there any possible practical reason why an experimental aircraft might be built in the shape of a cube or rectangle?

True story:
My first encounter was when I was 3 years old, and involved me in my backyard, (sleep walking ?), a wall of clouds, all around my house and yard, and above that,a smooth silvery convex surface...

My second memory was when i was 4 & 1/2. And I saw a big grey box shape that made a loud deisel sound while it hovered, then became soundless as it flew away.

Both were encounters of the third kind and involved conversations with humanoid aliens as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
A sighting of a square parrallelepipoidic UFO, on 16 January 1966. Witness Eugène Coquil came first in contact with private organization GEPA investigator M. Gestin shortly after the facts, and his story was related in early 1974 in a radio broadcast under the form of an interview by journalist René Pleïbert, reprinted in Jean-Claude Bourret's book La Nouvelle Vague des Soucoupes Volantes.

Around 4 a.m., Coquil was driving in the midst of Britonny towards the village of Bolazec when his attention was caught by a light in a field, that he believed to come from a tractor. He stopped and got out of his car to see who it was, after a few footsteps he saw a light, like a neon light, coming from a machine that was moving slowly (maybe six to ten km/h) towards his car. Realizing that it was not a tractor at all, but a machine shaped like a parrallelepipoid, the inferior and superior sides consisting of a square with sides of 3.5 meters long, and of a height of 1.3 m. It might have had windows, the light was coming out from every side and was brightly illuminating the surroundings. Frightened, the witness went back to his car, which he reached at the same time than the UFO. The witness could then see it hovering over the car at a height of 3 meters. He tried to start the engine, but failed many times, a fact he attributed to his nervousness. The UFO moved and almost landed at 4 or 5 m from the car, hovering at around 50 cm. Coquil finally suceeded to start the engine, and he drove as fast as he could, looking in the rear mirrors at the UFO that was still there before he passed a corner.

I believe there are some rectangular shaped ufos documented in Dr Vallee's book Confrontations.
Apparently in the 80's there were some that 'fired' upon local people along the Amazon basin rivers.
It is claimed that several were hurt and one or two died as a result of these 'laser beams', that seemed to seek out some people at night in the small villages in the areas. Apparently the Brazilian military showed up at one point to investigate.
It's claimed they got some pics and data of these ufos but when Dr Vallee asked to have access to the data they refused him.

Emps is right about the Skinwalker Ranch -- the book about the ranch
also quotes Jacques Vallee who investigated many lethal encounters
with the rectangle-shaped craft in South America (I don't remember off-hand WHEN these sightings took place.)
The relatively small craft made a noise like a refrigerator and shot either laserbeam or lightning-type rays at a variety of people. Doctors said at men, women, children, the elderly -- all were injured or killed in equal numbers. IIRC, the beams were not like searchlights - they seemed to be deliberately aimed at their targets. The symptoms were
of radiation sickness and quite a few folks actually died from
the encounters.

Anyone?

TVgeek
There's also the 'famous' case of Capt Thomas Mantell from Jan 1948, I remember reading about it in a Hurricane Xmas Annual from the early 1970's (the source of many Fortean stories when I was a kid !). As an US air force pilot flying a P51 fighter (bomber ?) he fearlessly went chasing a huge metallic 'saucer shaped' craft up to an estimated 30 000ft before his plane crashed in a field. I seem to remember it appeared to investigators that the plane showed little signs of hurtling to earth at great speed as you might expect and that Mantell had died from lack of oxygen but the body was intact with no blood splatter in the cockpit, also unusual. The story is often cited as the first UFO incident related death.

I seem to remember it appeared to investigators that the plane showed little signs of hurtling to earth at great speed as you might expect and that Mantell had died from lack of oxygen but the body was intact with no blood splatter in the cockpit, also unusual.
It has been posited that Mantell had regained consciousness, and tried to re-take control of his plane, but failed.

Now, back to rectangular UFOs.
I believe there are some rectangular shaped ufos documented in Dr Vallee's book Confrontations.
Apparently in the 80's there were some that 'fired' upon local people along the Amazon basin rivers.
It is claimed that several were hurt and one or two died as a result of these 'laser beams', that seemed to seek out some people at night in the small villages in the areas. Apparently the Brazilian military showed up at one point to investigate.
It's claimed they got some pics and data of these ufos but when Dr Vallee asked to have access to the data they refused him.
Chupas (as they were called by the locals) were often compared by witnesses to a fridge. A similar metaphor was used by a witness in the vicinity of Laulne in the peninsula of Cotentin on 5 January 1975. It was an object shaped like a metal cube with an edge of 5 meters, its upper side being surrounded by a concave band of metal like a cornice. Its size could be easily estimated as it was hovering over a 15 meters tall oak tree. It was emitting a whistling. The cornice and the lower side were of an aluminium-like metal, the vertical edges were surrounded by black stripes, the rest of the vertivcal sides were studded by multiple star-like lights, very bright but not blinding, arranged in 8 or 9 lines ; just below the cornice were arround thirty small holes, emitting a kind of blue flame. Maybe the whistling was coming from those kind of tailpipes. It was slightly and slowly moving laterally around its initial position, pivoting around his vertical edges, and tipping over his lower side, again always coming back to the position where the witness had first spotted it. The witness observed it for app. 45 minutes, but as the UFO was basically staying in the same place, he went back home.

There had been another sighting around the same locality on the same day, 20 minutes earlier, but the object was very different, shaped like a crescent or a banana, and was alternatingly motionless and moving very fast. The two cases were studied by the G.E.P.A. and related in their magazine Phénomènes Spatiaux, issue 49 (sept. 1976).

Last edited:
Back