• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cultish Christianities

A

Anonymous

I heard a couple of stories about 'bad' preachers/pastors who made thier churchies (members) do unspeakable things like incest and child rape, swinging, mass suicide and the like.

I tried to get more info from people in my church, since they seemed to know so much about it,but it was all hush hush,that's bad.

I'm sick of being told to hush. If you guys can find ANYTHING remotely related to this topic, please post, I'd really like a lot of links.

You actually expected an answer from your local church on this matter? :D

I'll go see what I can find. In todays paaper there was something about two cult members being sent to jail for a death that occured during some tantra sado-yoga sex. Sadly they didn't elaborate on what that was, it sounded quite interesting. But the woman who died had a degree in religion and had been an assistant priest. It seems sort of strange she ended up joining these guys.

I dont know I overheard someone talking about some pastor who poisioned punch or cool-aid or something like that and all his congragation drank it, think that if they did they'd go to heaven.

I tried to ask and those I overheard said, "hush, hush, that's bad, don't tell him."

I want to know WHAT THE HELL they were talking about.

That would be Jonestown. A very famous incident. Just put it in google and you're bound to find a few thousand pages.

Aliant said:
I heard a couple of stories about 'bad' preachers/pastors who made thier churchies (members) do unspeakable things like incest and child rape, swinging, mass suicide and the like.

I tried to get more info from people in my church, since they seemed to know so much about it,but it was all hush hush,that's bad.

I'm sick of being told to hush. If you guys can find ANYTHING remotely related to this topic, please post, I'd really like a lot of links.

Sound like a mutation of the standard ritual santanic abuse UL's, I wouldn't bother worrying until you get some hard evidence.
The pastor your talking about is Jim Jones, who was head of the 'People's Temple' a millennian Christian cult. He moved out to Guyana. Increasing paranoid both from perscription drug abuse and American government investigations into alleged human right abuses, he persuaded hundreds of his followers to enter into a mass sucide pack by drinking cynaide laced kool-aid (whatever that is).
638 of his adult followers and 276 children died.
The whole sorry affair was basically a Waco for the 70's, but some rumours persist that there was spooky mind control experiments going on that got out of hand.
For more info check:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/dc_jones.htm

What's Waco?

Kool-aid is flavored,colored sugar water. Here in the US you buy it in a 3 by 2 inch paper packaege and dump it in a jug wiht some sugar then fill up the jug with water and ice.

It's nasty stuff.

thanx for the info guys!!!

That does sound nasty. No wonder they decided to water it down with cyanide :)

Waco is a city in Texas. A cult was living there, and a shoot out happened between them and FBI I think it was. There's some conspiracy going on about it. It was just a few years ago.

You do know about the Heaven's Gate group right?

Okay, this requires quite a bit then.

Just wondering, have you lived a very sheltered life? Have your family and other people tried to keep you away from things that weren't Christian? How old are you?

Anyway, if you try look at http://www.cultwatch.com you should be able to find something on the aforementioned groups. Also about other you might be interested in.

Okay, I just had a closer look at that site. Maybe it's better you keep away from it. I don't think it is that neutral. I'll try and find something better instead.

Aliant said:

What's this, an American asking poor Europeans for help? Whatever next...:D

Seriously, for the sake of Euro-American relations I have to ask... what does "swinging" mean in this context?

Jane.

Wife swapping and such. Some of the 70ties things are coming back sadly.

I'm sorta sheltered as evryone here is like freaking terrified of the unknown.I was asking you guys because I didn't know. swinging is where a man and his wife go have sex with another man and his wife. sepeartely? sometimes.

so find me some links okay?

Big tradition in Christianity, though much of it can be put down to bad mouthing by the established churches. Think Cathars, Bogomils, Bulgars then start looking at the fragmentaion of the church following the reformation. Quakers were supposed to be into free love, Shakers lived communally, Methodists allowed women preachers (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more), Mormons allowing plural marriage.

Personally I think that if a lot of the mainstream sects now around would be branded as cults if they started now. :p

A sect is basically a religion that doesn't have enough followers yet.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
From The Atlantic. This rather sad and disturbing first hand account of a college prayer group's metamorphosis into a cult-like community probably justifies reanimating this old thread.

The Seven Signs You're in a Cult

A former member of a tight-knit college prayer group describes his community's disintegration—and how one of its members ended up dead.

Worth reading as a warning to the curious.

An interesting and worrying article. The more "mainstream" milieu in which the prayer group operated is in denial about its share of responsibility for what happened.

The more "mainstream" milieu in which the prayer group operated is in denial about its share of responsibility for what happened.

I really think the way such stories are spun involves a lot of denial too, and without wanting to belittle some of the horrid things people must have gone through with this cult, let's not forget that the cult itself is mostly composed to people who could equally be considered victims of it.

Even those who get out, or that it ends badly for, have helped it along with their complicity. :cry:

I think a good rule in life is to avoid getting involved with anything that ends with 'ist' or 'ism'. (Thanks for that advice Dad ;)) .. stops you thinking for yourself ..

Swifty said:
I think a good rule in life is to avoid getting involved with anything that ends with 'ist' or 'ism'. (Thanks for that advice Dad ;)) .. stops you thinking for yourself ..

What about Dadaism?

Back