Cumberland Spaceman

dr wu

Doctor Prog
Once you look at that 'color corrected' photo...it's obvious it's not an alien and it's the Mom ....so how was that missed for all those years...?

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Possibly because colour correction has only relatively recently become available?
And because people desperately want to believe in the woo factor, instead of boring old reality.

A creepy alien in a spacesuit is orders of magnitude more compelling than Ockham demanding his razor back.

Kryptonite

Seeker of truth, drinker of tea.
Once you look at that 'color corrected' photo...it's obvious it's not an alien and it's the Mom ....so how was that missed for all those years...?

I don't think it was missed exactly, as far as I remember Mrs Templeton had always been offered as a possible explanation - I must admit that I never quite saw it until I saw the colour corrected version, which made it so much clearer - I could never quite understand how the 'visor' with the white 'helmet' could be someone's head, but it makes absolute sense now.

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
The elbow seems odd only if you interpret the figure as facing toward you. The darker area on the lower part of the head is often mis-interpreted as being a visor on a helmet.
What IS the dark area? It looks bizarre.
Also, if that's a woman, she looks like a wrestler, she's huge!

Kryptonite

Seeker of truth, drinker of tea.
What IS the dark area? It looks bizarre.
Also, if that's a woman, she looks like a wrestler, she's huge!
The back of her hair, I believe. It looks like she's wearing something white on the very top of her head, maybe a headscarf that's been pulled forward.

XEPER_

Abominable Snowman
The back of her hair, I believe. It looks like she's wearing something white on the very top of her head, maybe a headscarf that's been pulled forward.
I dunno, still looks weird to me. A hood on a short sleeved top? A white hat or headscarf? Why the hood then?
The head also looks too small.

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer
A hood on a short sleeved top?
This suggestion fits really well with what we see. And it give me an idea....
2018-10-01 20.45.04.png

Look what happens when I rotate the picture about 15 degrees to the left, as viewed.

I immediately get the impression of someone running. That curious elbow becomes naturally bent, and there's a hint of balanced movement from what little we see the left arm.

We then see (by tilting the picture even more to the left) that the 'hood' may represent the metacentre horizontal datum relative to gravity...
2018-10-01 20.53.32.png
Lightweight hoods tend to bounce with movement to a position of neutral repose in the vertical axis. But note how there is a horizontal displacement to the right, belayed by the neck (as viewed)....just as there would be from the wind/draught effect, as someone runs or dives rapidly into a light headwind.

Ignore the grain-lines, look at how this does start to feel like someone pitched forwards, moving fast.

And could that be a face profile along the left-hand side, leading edge??
2018-10-01 21.05.12.png
Does that look like a raglan sleeve join, tailing down at a lazy 45deg from the 'hood'? Is that dark blob under the 'hood' simply a trapped shadow?

Hmm....

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer
Looking back to page 10 of this thread, at @bakelite brain 's colour-corrected version of the picture....I hadn't noticed the other context-setting photograph below it:

Isn't that........................................^^^^ the mum, wearing the blue sleeveless dress?

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Looking back to page 10 of this thread, at @bakelite brain 's colour-corrected version of the picture....I hadn't noticed the other context-setting photograph below it:

Isn't that........................................^^^^ the mum, wearing the blue sleeveless dress?
Indeed it is. That's what forumists here have been saying for the last 4 years at least. I'm just astonished that the "spaceman" nonsense has persisted so long!

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
The story still has the Men In Black coda... which is interesting.
Not really. Even Templeton dismissed that as two guys "pulling his leg" .

I reckon every last drop of woo factor has most definitely been expunged from this story.

The only really interesting thing is how desperately people want to believe in aliens and such like.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
I have never believed in the photos but it as always struck me what a strange angle the space man is to the daughter

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
From the outset, I’ve been a proponent of the Spacemum theory because I don’t think alien Spacemen wear bras.
To be honest, I find it pretty dumbfounding that some people can’t read a photograph.

Meanwhile at Antarctica.
Tourist - ‘Why are some of the penguins black and some white?’
‘That’s because the ‘black ones’ are walking away from us’.

dr wu

Doctor Prog
It was always a weird idea to think some kind of 'astronaut'..alien or human.. was standing there.
I mean what would a human astronaut be doing there right at that moment and is it very likely that any 'space alien' would dress the same way we would in similar astronaut gear..?