• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Well....I must stand corrected now. I downloaded the original picture, cut it into segments and blew up the pieces.

So I have some good news and bad news.

The good news -

The third picture from the site link:

http://www.worldofthestrange.com/Archives/112700.htm

is definitely doctored. If anyone with moderate faculty of vision can see, this third picture is missing the obvious "white spot" from within the "visor" portion. Nice try boys, but no cigar.

I will attach the cutout of the rear image "head" enlarged in Image2, and an HMS enhancement in Image4 using Jasc Paintshop Pro.

Now the bad news.....

If you pull this into a high res program, well I hate to say it but I will.....it looks like a cheesy knockoff Star Wars storm trooper helmet.

Of course, in 1964 there weren't any...hahaha.

So I guess we're back to square one with the action figure having its head turned around.....lol

So I will leave it up to more learned souls than I.

Oh well, maybe next time.........

tatafornow:confused:

EvilDweeb said:
The third picture from the site link:

http://www.worldofthestrange.com/Archives/112700.htm

is definitely doctored. If anyone with moderate faculty of vision can see, this third picture is missing the obvious "white spot" from within the "visor" portion. Nice try boys, but no cigar.

Yeah, I saw that. I think the white spot is actually a portion of missing emulsion scraped off by a scratch to the original photo. Look closely and you'll see a diagonal mark from the top right of the spaceman's head to the middle of its back, at a 45 degree angle. Obviously someone decided it looked nicer without the blemish...

well, whatever it is it freaks the crap out of me.
i'm sorry but that picture just freaks me out for some reason.

Dungeness Figure

Back to the mysterious other "spaceman" photo, I can recall seeing a frame from a video shot on a beach which apparently shows an alien. The figure has its back to the camera, and is slightly bending over near a set of groynes. Hate to sound like a sceptic, but to me it looked like an ordinary bloke with a metal detector!

The pic can be found in one of Jenny Randles' books. I think its the one covering 100 years of UFOs, but, along with most of my library of weird stuff, its currently gathering dust in my parents' attic until I can go and collect it!

As for the Cumberland photo. ta for the links. I'd never seen this pic in colour or with a full view of the figure before. Having seen it just now gives me the creeps slightly. It definitely looks like a humanoid figure, not a seagull / cloud formation / girl's hair / whatever. Now then, what about the Ilkley Moor alien photo? That's another one which could be a fake, but it unnerved me the first time I saw it...

I'm sure I saw this photo in a copy of UFO magazine several months ago. I will find the issue number and send the info to you. Am I right in thinking that the spaceman appeared over the girls left shoulder (right side of photo) and looked rather like a modern astronaut?

Slemen said:
I'm sure I saw this photo in a copy of UFO magazine several months ago. I will find the issue number and send the info to you. Am I right in thinking that the spaceman appeared over the girls left shoulder (right side of photo) and looked rather like a modern astronaut?
No I think you'll find thats the Cumberland picture.
The one I'm talking about was taken in dunginess in the south east.

Well, I tried to blow up and enhance the rear image in series as much as possible without undo distortion.

Judge for yourself......

http://communities.msn.com/Series1/cumbrianspaceman.msnw

I am going to do a little more research on this as well as further image enhancements over the next few weeks. If anything new should pop up will post it.

tatafornow..... :)

Much as I enjoyed the pics, Evildweeb, I think you need to
start from nearer the source. God knows what compression and
enhancement the file has already undergone. Interpolating
pixells is probably going to exaggerate artifacts.

You also have a clear idea of where you are heading, so every
step towards a clearer spaceman will seem justified. :rolleyes:

Solved?

Look closely folks (and please excuse my excitement).

It isn't a tethered special-shaped balloon (with which I have some familiarity) as it is leaning against the wind, although it would be easy enough to check in any had been made at that time (I think you'll find that there wasn't). In fact I think that the 'spaceman' is a person standing with both their feet firmly on the ground... if you look at the top of the hill you'll see that there is a thick hazy dark blue line between the hill and the sky - that's the distant horizon and follows the hill top almost perfectly. It's the gril and the photographer who are at an odd angle!

The 'spaceman' is someone wearing a white jacket and a white/cream scarf. The scarf is drapped back over their left shoulder then wrapped left to right around their neck and then drapped over their left breast. They either have short platinum blond hair (in a bobcut?), are wearing a clear plastic hood or a whitish motorcycle helmet (although I think that this last option is pushing it slightly). So have I solved it? My first mystery solved? Folks?

Niles
-----
"...That's what hate about what they took away from me. The detection. The Puzzle making."
Elijah Snow, Planetary #12.

Re: Solved?

I agree it prob. not a balloon. However, two main problems with the other scenario:-

1) I estimate that if it was a person standing on the ground they'd have to be a minimum of 8 feet tall (but that's just my estimate).

2) We'd have to assume that for some reason, the girl's dad took a well-composed photo of his daughter without requesting that the huge bloke in the motorbike helmet please move out of the way. And then lied about it.

Mind you, I haven't yet come up with an explanation of my own, so who knows...

Mr. Bingo said:
1) I estimate that if it was a person standing on the ground they'd have to be a minimum of 8 feet tall (but that's just my estimate).

I think the perspective and lack of focus is playing tricks on us. Looking at him the 'spacedman' is properly proportioned. Their actual size is based entirely on how far they are from the girl.

Niles

no, if you look closely its not the spaceman that is the fake, the girl is.
you'll notice that, pointed out earlier, the girl is the one at an angle, not the spaceman, you can tell by the horizon. plus it would be easier to add to a picture a focused person rather then an out of focus person, and obviously the spaceman is out of focus. plus it looks like the girl was added. i dunno thats just my perspective

I do believe there is a serious perspective problem here as well.

What we see as the figure's right arm being out of sync with the physical form of the torso and head. It is still not right.

But then a thought occurred to me.

You know how when you see a plane with contrail far off in the distance. Sometimes when you first see it, it is difficult to determine if it is actually moving away from you or toward you.

It's not until you gain the proper perspective that you finally realize the actual flight direction.

I think the same thing is going on here. I just haven't pinned down how yet.

The right arm (or what we think is the right arm) seems bent contradictory to the position of the head. Obviously if this "head" was looking (as it seems to be) in the direction it is, then it would be impossible for the head to be turned completely over the right right shoulder like it is.

The only position I can reproduce this myself would be to place the left hand on your hip and bend your elbow completely forward, as if you had your hand on your hip and looking that direction. This can be done.

The elbow would then in fact have that very characteristic. The problem though in that lies in the fact that the top of the shoulder appears as the top of the shouilder and back from the "rear".

Very confusing.

But hey, I'm working through it.

So give me some time.....hehehe

:D

accually that position of the arm is achievable, i've done it, but its just not the most comfortable

The body looks very cloud-like to me. If you cover up the head it could almost be a cloud - a strange cloud admittedly, but still...

yeah... but i mean look at the other clouds, they are just whisps.
i dunno the whole ordeal seams just weird

I remember another

OK this was a strange picture, but does anyone else remember this one?
I think it was a young boy, sometime in the 70's. He was sat looking directly at the camera with what looked like an old time deep sea diver/spaceman floating in front of him. I'm sure it was on the news at the time 'cos his Dad (I think) who took the pic, swore that there was nothing there at the time.
I'm positive it was in the papers as well.

About the "Spaceman " image. The right elbow is very prominent. Looks like the back of someone to me ;)

in the sixties did the nuclear industry us radiation suits whose helmets had visors that went around to the sides quite some way to provide better peripheral vision. if thats the case then the 'spaceman' could well be turning slightly? and turning his head still further to see over his shoulder?? maybe so he doesn't have to turn away completly from what he's really looking at on the other side of the hill??? what do you think????:confused:

Is it just me or is the humanoid very conveniently located so that most of it is obscured behind the girl's head? You'd think after coming all that way to give us a picture it'd at least stand either to
the left or right so we could get a decent view:D

aerialsnake said:
Is it just me or is the humanoid very conveniently located so that most of it is obscured behind the girl's head? You'd think after coming all that way to give us a picture it'd at least stand either to
the left or right so we could get a decent view:D

No, no, you got it all wrong. It was actually the alien who was taking a photo of his dad - it was the little kid who got in the way and totally spoiled the photo.

Try here

[Edited by Niles Calder

Threads Merged (With the exception of Mothman); thank you for your assistance.]

thanks justin - should've tried that first!

UFO magazine-Hoax explanation

I have a copy of UFO magazine, in the last 8 years, that claims the figure is an action figure with his head the wrong way round. And that it was a revenge trick on Jim Templeton due to him having played atrick on this guy,who happen to work at the place Templeton had his photo's developed.
I personally didn't have much truck with this theory,although there was a great deal of detail and plotting on the photo analyis.
I have never heard anything about Templeton having played a trick on anyone etc before. And it certainly does not explain the really weird Woomera/Blue Streak/missing UFO footage/MIB aspects at all.
This must qualify as one of the weirdest stories ever and really freaks me out!!!

THIS picture seems to show a figure with it's back toward the camera (note the bend in the arm) - it looks like an old man in a lab coat with his back turned to me - dunno what he's doing there though.

When it's claimed that the Woomera 'spacemen' looked just like the one in the aformentioned Cumberland photo, where is the corroborating evidence? IMHO, as with alot of similar cases, we only have the original witness's word for what happened that day and the subsequent visits of 'MIB'. One should be cautious of accepting things at face value as just being 'weird' when the various parts of the greater picture don't add up. IMHO ;)

Re: I remember another

Oooh great thread, but it's been smooshed so some of it don't make sense:

p.younger said:
No I think you'll find thats the Cumberland picture.
The one I'm talking about was taken in dunginess in the south east.

Where's that pic then?
Everyone else seemed to be talking about the girl and the spaceman pic.

WISQ2000 said:
OK this was a strange picture, but does anyone else remember this one?
I think it was a young boy, sometime in the 70's. He was sat looking directly at the camera with what looked like an old time deep sea diver/spaceman floating in front of him. I'm sure it was on the news at the time 'cos his Dad (I think) who took the pic, swore that there was nothing there at the time.
I'm positive it was in the papers as well.

I know the exact pic you mean - it was an interesting fake, created by taking a picture in ideal lighting conditions - through a FISH TANK! cracked me up.

pinkle

Niles Calder said:
Look closely folks (and please excuse my excitement).

It isn't a tethered special-shaped balloon (with which I have some familiarity) as it is leaning against the wind, although it would be easy enough to check in any had been made at that time (I think you'll find that there wasn't). In fact I think that the 'spaceman' is a person standing with both their feet firmly on the ground... if you look at the top of the hill you'll see that there is a thick hazy dark blue line between the hill and the sky - that's the distant horizon and follows the hill top almost perfectly. It's the gril and the photographer who are at an odd angle!

The 'spaceman' is someone wearing a white jacket and a white/cream scarf. The scarf is drapped back over their left shoulder then wrapped left to right around their neck and then drapped over their left breast. They either have short platinum blond hair (in a bobcut?), are wearing a clear plastic hood or a whitish motorcycle helmet (although I think that this last option is pushing it slightly). So have I solved it? My first mystery solved? Folks?

Niles

With the assistance of one of the British plane spotters I would like to present: THE CUMBERLAND MAN.

Old lady

The cumbrian spaceman is an old lady with a neckscarf with her hand on her hip and with her back to us! You must understand this...
And NO! America - you can't jail Winona!!!!

Back