• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Curious Phobias & Irrational Fears

Not sure if I still have this as I haven't tested it for many a year, but, walking past lift (elevator) doors in say a multi story carpark. I'm ok if I'm with someone or other people are around, but if I'm on my own it's terrible. I have to get as far away as I can and walk very fast to get past them. In fact any closed door in an 'industrial' type area like that.
Never heard of that one F. Is it lifts in general or just the doors?

Never heard of that one F. Is it lifts in general or just the doors?
Hey Pete, I used to think it was mainly to do with the lift shaft, but I've realised it's more to do with any door where I don't know what's behind it and I'm on my own.

I've read this this whole thread to see if anyone shares my phobia but nope I have an irrational fear of Topiary even mentioning it has made the hair on the back of my neck stand up :omg::omg:

I've read this this whole thread to see if anyone shares my phobia but nope I have an irrational fear of Topiary even mentioning it has made the hair on the back of my neck stand up :omg::omg:

Did you read the book of The Shining at an impressionable age? (It's not in the film, they had a maze instead)

Did you read the book of The Shining at an impressionable age? (It's not in the film, they had a maze instead)
I'm a big Stephen King fan but the phobia predates reading the shining

OK, that is a "good" phobia, though, I've never heard of it before. I won't press you for details!
It's not so good now everyone seems to have topiary globes hanging next to there front doors I'm not aware of being attacked by an unnaturally shaped hedge in this life or a past one. I'm not mad keen on mazes either :D

It's not so good now everyone seems to have topiary globes hanging next to there front doors I'm not aware of being attacked by an unnaturally shaped hedge in this life or a past one. I'm not mad keen on mazes either :D

I guess most people don't have mazes on their front lawns, so that's a blessing for you.

I have to admit- I have a total phobia of watching Ballerinas standing on the points of their feet... I just can’t watch it, I have to look away- I think it started when I were a bub, seeing it on tv, I suddenly had a vision of their toes just, well suddenly collapsing/ crunching down into a bloody pulp...

I have to admit- I have a total phobia of watching Ballerinas standing on the points of their feet... I just can’t watch it, I have to look away- I think it started when I were a bub, seeing it on tv, I suddenly had a vision of their toes just, well suddenly collapsing/ crunching down into a bloody pulp...
Ooh ooh - East Bloc weightlifter in the 1972 Olympics on telly was doing the clean and jerk and as he lifted more than his bodyweight into the overhead position, his leg muscles really bulged out and then one sort of 'exploded'. The agony in his face - steroids, don't do them kids!
Watched Joe Theismann at the 1985 Superbowl, he was about to throw the ball when five really big guys jumped on him and squashed him to the ground. His right leg remaining 'standing' - crack went round the stadium and through my telly.

Downhill ski-ing looks like that to me. I imagine them falling over and one ski staying on and digging into the snow, and going end over end and twisting their leg off like a corned beef can key, leaving a long smear of blood down the slope.

Got laughed at by close relations until it actually happened and the poor bloke sadly bled to death. :(

I guess that you don't want to hear that it is in fact very uncomfortable, deforms the toes, and scrunching toes is not uncommon. You may note that they don't stay up there all that long continuously however.

Ooooo, you’re right there...I did have a friend who’s Wife had been a Bluebell Girl and former semi pro ballet dancer, and She would, when I was staying over and sometimes after we’d had a few tipples, for some slightly perverse amusement would try and catch me out by doing a bit of ‘absent minded’ toe standing, and see if I would bite...and I invariably would, She was damn attractive, so I had to look...then cringe, then scamper out of the room!
Ahh friends, eh?!

I have emetophobia and it’s effected me my whole damn life. My first memory of feeling terrified with the mere mention of somebody being sick was shortly after first starting school, so I’d be five. A classmate told me somebody across the other side of the classroom had been sick and I remember feeling really frightened and wanting to flee the room. I‘ve had therapy several times over the years, both conventional and things like hypnotherapy to try and help but the problem persists. The weird thing is it’s only human vomit I fear, if an animal is sick I can be with them whilst they are retching and doing the deed and clean up after them no problem, but the first sign a person may throw up I‘m outta there! It’s not even about catching something, I fear somebody drunk or pregnant doing it too. Emetophobes can fear others vomiting or just themselves or both, I‘m frightened of both.

Not sure if phobias are catching, but I now feel ill looking at the ballerina on music box!

This is absolutely-excellent, and very interesting (as are all the psych2go videos on YouTube)

Allodoxaphobia, decidiophobia, nomophobia, catoptrophobia, chorophobia, ablutophobia and ancrophobia

The older I have gotten, I have developed a new phobia.

Beside fear of enclosed spaces and heights, but now I am afraid of knives.

Sometimes in our kitchen, our kitchen knives start to bother me as in my mind I see a skin cut and blood flowing out.

This is weird because I give myself insulin shots for years.

Maybe I afraid of blood, too ?

Reminds me BBC comedy “ Doc Martin “ who had to stop being a surgeon because blood made him sick.

I could have developed a uneasiness towards blood.

The older I have gotten, I have developed a new phobia.

Beside fear of enclosed spaces and heights, but now I am afraid of knives.

Sometimes in our kitchen, our kitchen knives start to bother me as in my mind I see a skin cut and blood flowing out.

This is weird because I give myself insulin shots for years.

Maybe I afraid of blood, too ?
Recently I read that this is a kind of beneficial "mind wandering" where the mind tries to remind you of the fact that "there is a certain risk with knives". Can't remember the book though, because I'm reading 10 at the same time ...

A slight variation, not exactly a phobia - when I was a child I got something which was at the time put down to Glandular Fever although it may’ve been what’s now called M.E. It lasted months. Anway I remember it seemed to come on suddenly, whilst I was eating a hard-boiled egg. As a result I wouldn’t eat a hard-boiled egg for years afterwards.

A friend has a similar thing with mushrooms. As a child she was given some dodgy/iffy tasting mushrooms & to this day avoids them. If they’re mixed in & disguised as a small part of a dish she’ll eat them but otherwise no.

A slight variation, not exactly a phobia - when I was a child I got something which was at the time put down to Glandular Fever although it may’ve been what’s now called M.E. It lasted months. Anway I remember it seemed to come on suddenly, whilst I was eating a hard-boiled egg. As a result I wouldn’t eat a hard-boiled egg for years afterwards.

A friend has a similar thing with mushrooms. As a child she was given some dodgy/iffy tasting mushrooms & to this day avoids them. If they’re mixed in & disguised as a small part of a dish she’ll eat them but otherwise no.
Had the same type of thing. I was violently sick on three occasions when I was young, immediately after eating roast chestnuts, tomatoes and crisps, respectively. I didn't eat any of those things for about 15 years. I still don't much like chestnuts or crisps.

Something very similar happened to me. I was eating fish and chips when I felt a severe pain and started sweating profusely. I rang the NHS helpline and they sent an ambulance which arrived within ten minutes. I was being operated on a few hours later for an upside-down stomach, which is a fairly unusual type of hernia and potentially life-threatening. I didn't eat fish and chips for a long time after that.

Something very similar happened to me. I was eating fish and chips when I felt a severe pain and started sweating profusely. I rang the NHS helpline and they sent an ambulance which arrived within ten minutes. I was being operated on a few hours later for an upside-down stomach, which is a fairly unusual type of hernia and potentially life-threatening. I didn't eat fish and chips for a long time after that.
Did they tell you how that happened, Erinaceus?
That sounds awful.

No, they didn't. I think it's similar to other hernias but an extreme example! It must have been unusual because the nurses didn't seem to have encountered it before and looked at the pictures in my file. It was performed laparoscopically so I've only got four small scars and a mark on my side where a drainage tube was inserted.

Back