• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Current Sci-Fi Literature Trends

MrRING

Android Futureman
Space Operas used to be popular, and at some point Cyberpunk and Steampunk came along... but what are the popular trends in today's sci fi literature? Any sci-fi fans with an opinion to share, or recommendations of books/authors to read? And new sub-genres occuring that haven't made it to other mass medias yet?

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
Space Operas used to be popular, and at some point Cyberpunk and Steampunk came along... but what are the popular trends in today's sci fi literature? Any sci-fi fans with an opinion to share, or recommendations of books/authors to read? And new sub-genres occuring that haven't made it to other mass medias yet?

It would be too quick to say the day of teh sapce opera is over. Some recent examples tking up a lot of shelf space:

Iain M. Banks - The Algebraist

Peter F. Hamilton - The Night's Dawn trilogy

Alistair Reynolds - The various books set in the Revelation Space universe.

I'd recommend Steve Ayletts Accomplice books - probably best read in the correct order, starting with, if I remember rightly, The Inflatable Volunteer. (Although I should warn you that they're about as far away from nuts-and-bolts Science Fiction as you can get).

A new trend: indestructible books! (or at least inflammable)
To benefit PEN America’s work defending freedom of expression, Penguin Random House is proud to partner with Margaret Atwood and Sotheby’s to offer an unburnable edition of the classic, and often banned, novel The Handmaid’s Tale. For more information, visit https://unburnablebook.com/ and to bid, visit https://www.sothebys.com/PEN.

I like the Jim Butcher series (all 3 of them). He has wizards, weird space ships, and pokemon magic. Otherwise I have not found much new science fiction that I enjoy except for The Martian, that was a short fun book. Kim Stanley Robinson is one of my favorites that has been around a few decades.

Back