Current State Of The War Against Terror

rynner2

Great Old One
ramonmercado said:
The doves still managed to drop some missiles.
Probably not! Doves are just upmarket pigeons, and pigeons (unlike sea gulls) can't poop in flight.

(Or so I've heard. Any pigeon fanciers out there who can confirm or deny..?)

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
OneWingedBird said:
Check 10,000 bird anuses... wonder what the poor bastards did to deserve that job. :(
You fill in the application form and send them £103.68p. If you don't have the money, you write an essay explaining why you want the job. When you get there . . .

Well that's what a little bird told me. :oops:

rynner2

Great Old One
davidplankton said:
No, a flock of pigeons once shit on me many years ago. I was looking up with my mouth open as well.
Ah! Mutant pigeons. Any nuclear facilities in the area? Chernobyl, for example? ;)

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
OneWingedBird said:
Check 10,000 bird anuses... wonder what the poor bastards did to deserve that job. :(
And why do I feel that the Job Centre may be calling me in soon... :(

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
davidplankton said:
No, a flock of pigeons once shit on me many years ago. I was looking up with my mouth open as well.
There might have been something else much higher than the pigeons.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Perhaps an Angel shat on you rather than a pigeon? :shock:

rynner2

Great Old One
Charities funding crime and terror face new crackdown

Charities being used to fund crime and terrorism are facing a fresh crackdown after the prime minister announced an £8m boost in funding and extra powers for the charities watchdog.
David Cameron said the move would help the Charity Commission to ensure "money always goes to genuinely good causes".
Under the proposals, the watchdog will be able to freeze charity bank accounts and suspend or remove trustees.
Earlier this year MPs described the regulator "as not fit for purpose".

The watchdog has said it is looking into whether certain organisations used aid convoys to Syria as a front for terror-related activity.
Downing Street said the £8m would help the regulator "re-focus its regulatory activity on proactive monitoring and enforcement in the highest risk areas like abuse of charities for terrorist and other criminal purposes, such as tax avoidance and fraud".

It also said the new measures, which have been published in a draft Protection of Charities Bill, would allow the body to:

Enforce an automatic ban on anyone with convictions for certain criminal offences from becoming a trustee of a charity
Issue official warnings in less serious cases
Prevent people resigning to avoid disqualification before returning in another guise
Shut down charities under investigation to protect the public confidence

Mr Cameron's announcement comes ahead of an extremism taskforce meeting which will examine the government's counter-terrorism strategy.
He said: "Today's changes will help make sure that when people donate to charity, their money always goes to genuinely good causes.
"They will help us become a country that stands even taller in the world, and prouder and stronger too."

Charity Commission chairman Sir William Shawcross has previously described Islamic extremism as the "most deadly" threat to charities in England and Wales.
Welcoming the proposals, he said he wanted the changes to go even further and warned that criminals and others would still be able to take up roles as treasurers or finance directors unless disqualification was extended beyond trustees.
He also said he wanted the commission to have the power to direct trustees not to take specific actions in a bid to prevent abuses before they occur.

The commission said the cash would be spent on "technology and frontline operations".

Earlier this year MPs on the public accounts committee criticised the regulator over failures to tackle abuses in the industry.
Karl Wilding, director of public policy at the National Council for Voluntary Organisations, also said the commission's enforcement work had previously "not been as strong as it could be".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29716752

Another loner convert.

Police in New York say an axe attack on two officers was a terrorist act carried out by a radicalised Muslim convert. Zale Thompson, 32, was shot dead after wounding the two officers, one critically, in Queens on Thursday.

Commissioner William Bratton said Thompson was not on any watch lists but had browsed al-Qaeda web sites and watched beheadings.

A bystander shot in the incident is critical but stable in hospital.

Witnesses said the man deliberately targeted the foot-patrol officers, charging them and then swinging the axe two-handed, One officer, Kenneth Healy, 25, was hit on the head and was listed as critical but stable in hospital. The other officer was hit on the arm. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29753347

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Sow unto the wind, and all that... :nooo:

A British hostage being held by Islamic State (IS) has said prisoners of the militant group who have tried to escape have been punished with waterboarding.

The statement came in the latest video featuring 43-year-old journalist John Cantlie, who was seized in late 2012.

Mr Cantlie reads an apparently scripted message that criticises the British and US's stance on hostage negotiations.

He quotes from emails in which families of hostages allegedly complained about the US refusal to negotiate with IS.

One message, which Mr Cantlie dates to 17 July this year, allegedly said: "We have begged them so many times already. Everyone has buried their heads in the sand.

"We feel we are caught in the middle between you and the US government, and we are being punished."

Referring to the hostages' treatment by the captors, Mr Cantlie says: "Some of us who tried to escape were waterboarded by our captors, as Muslim prisoners are waterboarded by their American captors."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29773780

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
I find this rather vexing, particularly as there seems to be very little to show for these plans being allegedly foiled, and if anything, it has me wondering if some offenses are being deemed terrorism simply to justify the continuing and seemingly eternal war against terror.

Granted we don't need beheadings in the streets, but is it still terrorism when it's a 'lone wolf' attack? Or the work of a random nutter?

Four or five terror plots have been prevented this year, the commissioner of the Met Police has said.

Police have previously prevented on average one plot a year, Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe told the BBC.

He said there had been a "change to the frequency and the seriousness" of the plots seen, and there was also "growing concern" over so-called "lone-wolf" attacks that require less planning.

The terror threat level was raised from "substantial" to "severe" in August.

It moved to the second highest of five possible levels in response to conflicts in Iraq and Syria.

Sir Bernard's comments come on the eve of the launch of a nationwide terrorism awareness campaign.

Yadda yadda yadda
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30166946

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
He's completely right in what he says, although I fear he may have just painted a target on his own forehead.
What he says particularly applies to disaffected young men who convert to Islam. Part of the reason for them converting is so that they can feel powerful in their relationships with women, and without fear of reprisal, be as misogynistic as they like.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
He's completely right in what he says, although I fear he may have just painted a target on his own forehead.
What he says particularly applies to disaffected young men who convert to Islam. Part of the reason for them converting is so that they can feel powerful in their relationships with women, and without fear of reprisal, be as misogynistic as they like.
I suspect the main reason Bozza made those remarks was to give it a bit of "Look, Britain's not afraid of you lot so listen to this!" bravado. He's leading by example and he's right. A large portion of the British public are too scared to say anything negative about Jihadis or ISIS, terrorists will come round and blow up their homes .... 'the bad guys' don't have anywhere near the resources or manpower to do this, all they have is fear mongering. Remember the Blitz spirit, Churchill flicking the V's and the song "Hitler, he only had one ball etc .." ..... well, "The Jihads, have no nads, at all" .. Britain needs to grow a pair because this is a war of nerves as much as of violence.

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-31075769

The full execution video has been released here, http://shoebat.com/2015/01/31/watch...ese-hostage-learn-japan-no-intentions-saving/

The footage shows you how remarkably brave Kenji Goto was. He does not plead or beg for his life, he doesn't even fight as his chin is held upwards, merely closes his eyes. I have a lot of sadness and respect for him at the same time. I do believe you get to see who a man truly is during the final moments before his death. Kenji Goto showed us how a real man takes his execution. Bujini yasunde kudasai Kenji San.

Last edited:
On a lighter note.

Police in New York have responded to reports of a bomb scare at a bus terminal – only to discover that an unattended bag actually contained around 1,000 condoms for men and women.

Officers were alerted to the mysterious silver holdall at the George Washington Bridge Bus Station on Friday evening, seemingly stashed away behind a concrete barrier.

The Port Authority police called in a sniffer dog unit and specially-trained explosives officers to investigate, shutting off the station’s nearby waiting room. But an inspection didn’t throw up any evidence of explosives, said Port Authority police spokesman Joseph Pentangelo. Opening it up, officers found roughly 1,000 unused, individually-packed condoms for both men and women and of various different brands and styles. ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...b-scare-in-new-york-bus-station-10016658.html

Quake42

Warrior Princess
Beheading clearly has insufficient shock value for ISIS now so they burn a man alive in a cage:

Jordan pilot hostage Moaz al-Kasasbeh 'burned alive'
Jordan has confirmed the death of pilot Moaz al-Kasasbeh after a video published online by Islamic State (IS) claimed to show him being burned alive.
The video shows a man standing in a cage engulfed in flames. Officials are working to confirm its authenticity.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-31121160

I don't think there is any point in trying to reason with or negotiate with these barbarians. They need to be wiped out and quickly. They disgrace the world with their presence.

Loquaciousness

The misuse of the word "fact" annoys me
The problem is of course, that there is no way of fighting an idea..... therefore it is impossible to wage a war against terrorism. I think a small targeted nuke might do a good job of getting to the root of the problem though.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
The problem is of course, that there is no way of fighting an idea..... therefore it is impossible to wage a war against terrorism. I think a small targeted nuke might do a good job of getting to the root of the problem though.
The problem is that once one lot is defeated another lot appear to take their place and it starts all over again. There has to be a way of breaking the vicious circle. I doubt if there is an easy answer...maybe a nuke would scare off any replacements.

Loquaciousness

The misuse of the word "fact" annoys me
I fear there is no hope...... read Zimbardo's Lucifer Effect.... and you'll see what I mean.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Frankly, I think we should be declaring war on more nouns.