• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cursed Picture Twice Returned To Charity Shop By Shaken Customers

Half-watched a paranormal documentary a couple of years ago where a 'merican kid bought a Jewish curse-box (or some such) for a laugh. His life started falling apart with all the Hoodoo/demon disturbances in his flat, but when he threw the box away it mysteriously re-appeared in the flat again. The only way he could get rid of it for sure was to put it on Ebay warning people not to bid on it, as it was cursed and would ruin their lives. Problem appeared solved until a few days later his flat-mate had seen the listing and bought the curse-box for a laugh ...

Reminds me of the carved wooden mask I bought at a garage sale with other pieces of carved wood.
It made me feel uneasy and it stayed on the porch till I decided what to do with it.
I finally wrapped it in nice paper, drove to the shopping centre and left it beside my car and went shopping.
When I came back it was gone.

Reminds me of the carved wooden mask I bought at a garage sale with other pieces of carved wood.
It made me feel uneasy and it stayed on the porch till I decided what to do with it.
I finally wrapped it in nice paper, drove to the shopping centre and left it beside my car and went shopping.
When I came back it was gone.

And now it's in your attic, waiting.

And now it's in your attic, waiting.

59e0362d692497e9ac2828deb9a3d926.jpg

They sleep. lt is time for the ritual…”

maximus otter

It's a great publicity stunt though you have to admit, I don't believe a word of it but hats off to them for pulling this off

"I've got a cursed item I bought from a charity shop! How can I get rid of it? Can't give it to a relation - no matter how I don't like them. I know - I'll give it back to the charity shop! Maybe they'll give me a refund before it kills me!"
"Nah, mate. Flog it on eBay - there's folks who'll lap it up!"
"But first, go to the local papers, the internet and all other media you can think of, and tell THEM you've got a cursed item."

Half-watched a paranormal documentary a couple of years ago where a 'merican kid bought a Jewish curse-box (or some such) for a laugh. His life started falling apart with all the Hoodoo/demon disturbances in his flat, but when he threw the box away it mysteriously re-appeared in the flat again. The only way he could get rid of it for sure was to put it on Ebay warning people not to bid on it, as it was cursed and would ruin their lives. Problem appeared solved until a few days later his flat-mate had seen the listing and bought the curse-box for a laugh ...
This is probably the thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dybbuk_box

If it was on Blaze they probably didn't mention that it was fiction. :D

I would never have that picture in my home. It's godawful ugly.
There's no accounting for taste. Some of my friends have what I consider to be dreadful interior decor. But I just drink their coffee, eat their biscuits and say nothing. I don't have to live with it - it's up to them.

But I heartily agree in the case of this picture.

The painting is back in the news again.

The cursed painting returns! New owner of 'haunted' portrait reveals his tourist attraction was flooded twice in a month amid string of spooky events since buying the artwork for £1,700.​

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...tring-spooky-events-buying-artwork-1-700.html

a) “The new owner of a 'haunted' portrait has revealed that his tourist attraction was flooded twice in a month since buying the artwork…”

b) “…the 'haunted' portrait in its new home under London Bridge…”

:rolleyes:

maximus otter

a) “The new owner of a 'haunted' portrait has revealed that his tourist attraction was flooded twice in a month since buying the artwork…”

b) “…the 'haunted' portrait in its new home under London Bridge…”

:rolleyes:

maximus otter
I had to chuckle. I didn't see the London Bridge detail, but did wonder how many times before the painting was bought had the shop been flooded. People do live in flood plains or have plumbing problems or poor grading around a building.

The only tourist attraction I can think of any where near London Bridge, apart from the Shard, a very tall building, is the London Dungeons which seems to have morphed over the years from a serious look at London's history and where people were actually incarcerated to something more akin to spooks and horror.

Maybe this is a publicity stunt.

https://www.thedungeons.com/london/

The only tourist attraction I can think of any where near London Bridge, apart from the Shard, a very tall building, is the London Dungeons which seems to have morphed over the years from a serious look at London's history and where people were actually incarcerated to something more akin to spooks and horror.

Bingo.

I've been to both the 'old' and the 'new' London Dungeon; the new is more like a 'thrill experience' mixed with a grim–history tour—more like Alien War than any kind of museum.

I remember going to The London Dungeon back in olden times. I thought Gilliam’s Jabberwock was a great exhibit
I went to The London Dungeon in the mid 80's and it was mostly about the plague and torture devices from memory. We went to Madame Tussauds about the same time which did Dennis Nielsen, Dr Crippin, Hitler and others .. as far as I can tell, it's now become all about people like Beyonce, Will-I-Am and other flavour of the month/20 seconds people (Andy Warhol was right) I couldn't care less about or even recognise. I imagine the horror bits have now got some token clowns, dolls, Freddy and a girl in a long white dress with her long black hair combed over the front of her face? ..

The only tourist attraction I can think of any where near London Bridge, apart from the Shard, a very tall building, is the London Dungeons

There's also Southwark Cathedral, the Golden Hinde, the Anchor (fairly decent pub), Borough Market and the ruins of Winchester Palace, on the north side, the London Mithraeum isn't too far.

There's also Southwark Cathedral, the Golden Hinde, the Anchor (fairly decent pub), Borough Market and the ruins of Winchester Palace, on the north side, the London Mithraeum isn't too far.

How loosely do you define tourist attraction?

Borough Market is in the 'must visit' section of many contemporary travel guides to London.

I didn't really class them as tourist attractions in the same way and I couldn't see any of them buying an allegedly haunted painting.

Back