• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cursed Songs (Gloomy Sunday, Etc.)

Top 10 cursed songs Part 2

(edited to add description of video)

Last edited:
Top 10 cursed songs Part 3

(edited to add description of video)

Last edited:
Random youtube videos isn't really helping anyone.

@Souleater and others!

Please don't post videos or pictures without some comment about why they are relevant. This place isn't a place to do drive by posting...

... if this means we see fewer blocks of these posts then I'm happy with that.

If it's worth posting it's worth explaining why.

Frides

@Souleater and others!

Please don't post videos or pictures without some comment about why they are relevant. This place isn't a place to do drive by posting...

... if this means we see fewer blocks of these posts then I'm happy with that.

If it's worth posting it's worth explaining why.

Frides
I apologise, a thought the fact that this is the 'cursed songs' thread, and the title of the videos is 'top 10 cursed songs' was enough that no other explaination was needed, will endeavor to do better in future :(

Given that the Toni Arthur album "Hearken to the Witches Rune" featured prominently in the latest FT, I checked out all the songs on YouTube and posted a link to one of them (not this particular song) on the FT403 thread this morning.
One of the longest songs, is The Cruel Mother - a 17th century "murder ballad" about a woman having children out of wedlock and killing them out of shame. She suffers dreadful supernatural retribution as a result.
The song is almost unbearably grim and a quick Google reveals that it has a rather unwholesome reputation.
I won't post the link here but, if you would like to hear it, the entire album is available on YouTube.

Getting back to the post that started this thread, I got the sense the shop owner was saying Enya's recording was cursed, but was he just referring to the song in general?

I got that album years ago and loved her version of the song, which I previously thought of as the type of thing a fat lady would sing at a society party in a Three Stooges or Laurel and Hardy film. I don't remember any bad luck I associated with it, but like everyone I've had bad luck - and good - throughout my life.

I don't have the CD handy, but I remember a snippet of the song was played between other songs a few tracks before it's full performance. I wonder if people listening to just the snippet suffered some minor issue, like spilling a drink.

I wonder if people listening to just the snippet suffered some minor issue, like spilling a drink.

People do have little superstitions like that, don't they?

Techy used to sometimes take sushi to work for breakfast but stopped because he reckoned every time he did, everything went wrong! :chuckle:

People do have little superstitions like that, don't they?

Techy used to sometimes take sushi to work for breakfast but stopped because he reckoned every time he did, everything went wrong! :chuckle:
I tend to think that if I had sushi for breakfast something would go wrong. :puke2:
I know that if i were to have taken sushi to work for breakfast something would have already gone very wrong :oops:

Everyone who hears the song Locomotion by Kylie Minogue, dies. Or people who type "Locomotion" or read "Locomotion" or thinks "Locomotion" or who are completely unaware of the song "Locomotion".

True fact.

The "deeply ominous" song O Willow Waly from the classic 1961 movie The Innocents (and later re-used for the Netflix series The Haunting of Bly Manor) is probably worth a mention here.
Whether it's chiming out eerily on an ancient music box, or being sung by an equally eerie and otherworldly little girl, if ever a piece of music were guaranteed to conjure forth ghosts, then this is it:

http://www.helenroulston.com/willow.html

Everyone who hears the song Locomotion by Kylie Minogue, dies. Or people who type "Locomotion" or read "Locomotion" or thinks "Locomotion" or who are completely unaware of the song "Locomotion".

True fact.
Sorry to hear of your impending death, Ogdred.

Getting back to the post that started this thread, I got the sense the shop owner was saying Enya's recording was cursed, but was he just referring to the song in general?

I got that album years ago and loved her version of the song, which I previously thought of as the type of thing a fat lady would sing at a society party in a Three Stooges or Laurel and Hardy film. I don't remember any bad luck I associated with it, but like everyone I've had bad luck - and good - throughout my life.

I don't have the CD handy, but I remember a snippet of the song was played between other songs a few tracks before it's full performance. I wonder if people listening to just the snippet suffered some minor issue, like spilling a drink.

I found this little nugget on the song:

1614692514304.png

https://www.jstor.org/stable/25486492?seq=1

The "deeply ominous" song O Willow Waly from the classic 1961 movie The Innocents (and later re-used for the Netflix series The Haunting of Bly Manor) is probably worth a mention here.
Whether it's chiming out eerily on an ancient music box, or being sung by an equally eerie and otherworldly little girl, if ever a piece of music were guaranteed to conjure forth ghosts, then this is it:

http://www.helenroulston.com/willow.html
Such an underrated classic movie. We still think "Quint Face!" is the best jump scare ever..

The most disturbing fact I've discovered today is that there are morons who think Tiny Tim authored "Tiptoe Through The Tulips."

The song was published and first recorded in 1929 - three years before Tiny Tim was born.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiptoe_Through_the_Tulips
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny_Tim_(musician)

Further to my Tiny Tim post, something of a minor coincidence to report tonight.
Over dinner, the TV was showing an old Dad's Army episode.
The classic one where the men are on a training mission and sleep in an old barn, where Fraser tells his ghost story and some "counter agents" try to stop Capt. Mainwaring from achieving his goal. One agent is in a gorilla suit and the men try to inject it with a tranquilizer dart - only to jab Capt. Mainwaring instead. The final scene shows Mainwaring, in his drugged state singing "Tip-toe through the tulips", which was a popular song during the war.

The most disturbing fact I've discovered today is that there are morons who think Tiny Tim authored "Tiptoe Through The Tulips."

The song was published and first recorded in 1929 - three years before Tiny Tim was born.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiptoe_Through_the_Tulips
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny_Tim_(musician)

Tiny Tim, whatever else he was, was an expert in the love songs of the 1920 and fought hard to keep them in the public consciousness through his encyclopedic knowledge of them. The above bullshit about Tulips being cursed is because of the horror film Insidious, which features it on the soundtrack and tries to make it scary.

Tim was in a horror movie, though, Blood Harvest, where he gets to perform some of his repertoire and dress as a clown.

Another reason for thinking the song cursed might be that Tim collapsed with a heart attack immediately after performing it and died within the hour.

There is a video of him having a previous, non-fatal heart attack while singing, available on YouTube if anyone'd like to see it done.

Given that the Toni Arthur album "Hearken to the Witches Rune" featured prominently in the latest FT, I checked out all the songs on YouTube and posted a link to one of them (not this particular song) on the FT403 thread this morning.
One of the longest songs, is The Cruel Mother - a 17th century "murder ballad" about a woman having children out of wedlock and killing them out of shame. She suffers dreadful supernatural retribution as a result.
The song is almost unbearably grim and a quick Google reveals that it has a rather unwholesome reputation.
I won't post the link here but, if you would like to hear it, the entire album is available on YouTube.
The Steeleye Span album 'Commoners' Crown' is full of spurting blood. We used (by we I mean my teenage/early 20's mates) used to play it and burst out laughing when a seemingly innocuous song suddenly erupted into stabbings and wholesale mayhem. It's possible it put a couple of my friends off women permanently.

But hey, that's folk music. Not always as miserable as Country but at least as bloody.

The Steeleye Span album 'Commoners' Crown' is full of spurting blood. We used (by we I mean my teenage/early 20's mates) used to play it and burst out laughing when a seemingly innocuous song suddenly erupted into stabbings and wholesale mayhem. It's possible it put a couple of my friends off women permanently.

But hey, that's folk music. Not always as miserable as Country but at least as bloody.

I have the original vinyl of that.
The epic "Long Lankin" is particularly gory!

Not exactly cursed, but fingerstyle guitar weirdo John Fahey apparently stopped playing his own composition "The Red Pony" in concert for a while because it terrified him.

Not exactly cursed, but fingerstyle guitar weirdo John Fahey apparently stopped playing his own composition "The Red Pony" in concert for a while because it terrified him.
It's not exactly tuneful.

Back