• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Curses

A

Anonymous

Queen Mums Diamond

LONDON (Reuters) - A diamond with a bloody history will sit atop the Queen Mother's coffin at today's ceremonial procession to her lying-in-state.

Coveted by Mogul Emperors, hidden in a sultan's turban, once claimed by the Taliban for Afghanistan -- the Koh-i-Noor ranks as one of the world's most notorious gemstones.

The jewel in the Queen Mother's crown -- also claimed by India, Iran and Pakistan -- has forever been cursed.

A Hindu proverb once warned: "He who owns this diamond will own the world but will also know its misfortunes. Only God or a woman can wear it with impunity."

Does anyone else find that warning funny, the bit about only God or a woman can wear it with impunity?

It seemed a lot funnier when I only read it, now I typed it out.. bah humbug.

:monster: - Mr Dead

lots of jewels have that sort of curse story surrounding them, its a way of putting theives off,
"Don't knick this your head'll fall off"
that sort of thing, but i agree about the god or a woman thing, thats a bit weird.....

And i love the Happy Noodle Boy avatar.....

Sounds like the Moonstone in Wilkie Collins' novel of the same name..................

The same curses where applied to the disturbance of Egyptian tombs, and when king tuts tomb was opened the archaeologists who entered the tomb which had the famous curse of the mummy did die horrible deaths soon afterwards. This was not the work of the curse but of a fungal infection from the ancient walls that entered the archeologist’s lungs.

tang-malow said:
The and when king tuts tomb was opened the archaeologists who entered the tomb which had the famous curse of the mummy did die horrible deaths soon afterwards. This was not the work of the curse but of a fungal infection from the ancient walls that entered the archeologist’s lungs.

Wrong. Of the 22 people present at the tomb's opening, only two died in the next ten years.

http://www.unmuseum.org/mummy.htm

Dipsy said:
Wrong. Of the 22 people present at the tomb's opening, only two died in the next ten years.

http://www.unmuseum.org/mummy.htm

Im sure im not the only one to have heard the curse of king tuts tomb with a similar story line but Im sorry Dipsy, next time i post a comment i will scan the internet with my search engine looking for webpages full of all the correct facts and cut and paste them in instead of writing what i think or have heard,
After all thats what message boards are for isnt it? Quoting search engines and webpages and creating arguments with people that post something without consulting a webpage or search engine.

Maybe you should be called AskGeeves instead of Dipsy because all you seem to do is sit on search engines all day looking for contradictions to posts. Sad actually.

If you want to post half-truths and rumors and urban legends, go right ahead, but don't cry like a baby when you're called on it for being wrong.

Dipsy said:
If you want to post half-truths and rumors and urban legends, go right ahead, but don't cry like a baby when you're called on it for being wrong.

And If you want to post results of search engines, flame other members of the board, Spam with irrelivant posts and unfortean related topics then go right ahead but dont cry like a baby when no one takes an interest in what you have to say.

Your earlier post just goes to show how unfamiliar you are with the message boards topic, if we couldnt post half truths rumours or urban legends then there wouldnt be much to read on here. We would need to wait until UFOs Yetis Ghosts and other mysterious stuff where proven to exist before we could mention them according to you.

Also you might want to email Mark P and tell him to remove his Urban Legend section of the message board as you dont agree with urban myths being posted on this board, im sure he will agree with your request and remove it as soon as possible.

Yes a news section for fortean related news stories, not any old stupid story that comes along. I would consider the possibility of the Queen mothers crown being cursed a fortean subject and therfor i wouldnt see anything wrong with posting a reply that had urban myth content or the mention of a rumour that i have heard.
If you want to post any old news then either go to a news message board or get a job at your local news paper.
Idiot

And this is why all good Forteans should either state the source for their claims or else add a "I'm sure I heard this somewhere, it may be a load of bull though" disclaimer. We can't ask for absolute proof for every claim or, as Tang said, we'd have next to no posts on here - but nor do we want to be perpetuating *known* fiction as fact. It's fun to discuss things that might turn out not to have any truth to them, but it's also good to look for the real facts of situations. As Forteans our role is to look at the possibilities, not to either sneer like sceptics or swallow everything we're told like superstitious fools.

Now can we all be friends again? :confused:

Razorwire

Have any curses een proved to be effective? The Tutankhamun curse seems to have been largely due to coincidences and over-active imaginations, but what about other famous curses?

What about the Hope Diamond which supposedly brings bad luck to those who own it?

And it is said that tourists who took pieces of rock as souvenirs from Uluru (Ayers Rock) in Australia, have been forced to return them back to their place of origin, because they've had back luck since taking the rocks. Similar things have supposedly happened to tourists vising the Hawaiian volcanoes - those who took pieces of crystal from there were cursed with ill luck becusae they supposedly offended the Volcano goddess.

Any comments?

Carole

I imagine historical curses such as those found in heiroglyphs in tomb entrances for eg. were merely to dissuade people from entering the tomb. Didn't work though, because most tombs were robbed centuries ago. Wish they did because we could have solved the saddam problem years ago :D
Like the "horoscopes" in newspapers and magazines you can always find events to fit the predictions in retrospect.
Curses! I've ran out of cider:mad:

I had a curse laid on me some years ago but we're divorced now and things have improved no end.:laughing:

there are some amazing storeis about curses which I have somewhere in my collection of "unexplained" books. I don't know the veracity. I will type them up tomorrow perhaps.

Can't be worse than the Geordie one, surely?? :p

Carole

Curses - do they work?

Does anybody have any real anecdotes about curses being placed on them and it working/putting a curse on someone and it working?

Is it real or is it just in the mind? I mean, does the recipient have to believe they have been cursed for it to work?

Okay, well I'm new here (hello and all that :) ) and seeing as how 'first impressions last' I have a feeling that describing how I once cursed someone is not a good way to start! It's not something I do regularly, honest, it was a long time ago... And seeing how no one else has replied yet I feel duty bound to tell my tale ;)

To set the scene _very_ quickly, I was in a disastrous relationship with a guy who was engaged to someone else (you can see the problem here...) and it seemed to me in my overwrought state that she didn't make him happy and I couldn't live without him. So I attempted to curse her. I knew a little bit about magic, and just did my own symbolic thing really.

Anyway, shortly afterwards she became ill with (what seemed to be) a mysterious illness. Needless to say, in the way of all curses it backfired, as the man involved just became very fed up about her being ill and moaned to me a lot. This went on for a couple of months, with his fiancee undergoing various medical tests. Eventually it was discovered there was a tumour on her liver.

I got very worried at this point that my curse might actually have worked, and resolved to try to remove it. Soon after that, tests showed that the tumour was benign and that it was apparently a relatively common problem and easily cured. Boy, was I relieved!

So the moral of the story is, it's true what they say kids, don't mess with things you don't understand. Or alternatively - coincidences can be scary. Or more likely - he's not gonna leave her for you! Or something else - you choose.

Now, just to emphasise - I haven't cursed anyone since! I am a nice person, really!

Welcome nice person kaytee:) . Glad it all worked out, as it were. I'm a firm believer in the "don't mess with things one doesn't understand" philosophy. Expounded on by several in both the Ouija Board and How do I Raise Demons threads.

If you'd like to *formally* introduce yourself to us all here at the FTMB there's a new member's thread here

Been a little dormant of late, but still a nice thing. Look forward to your contributions.-lopaka

No wonder it's dormant...I didn't even know you could DO that...

Kaytee - Thanks for the reply:) I was on the point of concluding that it was a myth. It's certainly a spooky coincidence, isn't it?

Are there any books on this mystical art or is everyone going to say I shouldn't know or something?

I've heard that cursing people does indeed backfire on the curser but when you read these things you never get any real stories and it starts to sound like silly hokum, although having read the ouija site I'm convinced as much as I can be without actually doing it myself though I understand with cursing that there are no actual spirits involved...or are there?

The reason I ask is that I'm an artist and I have the concept and the materials but I need something to bring it into focus - a symbol? Use of particular colours? Something I can look at and get the mood of etc. I KNOW, it sounds silly but my brief is very specific and I don't have a deadline until 2004 so I'm still in the musing stage and having done a search at my Library, came up with nothing except those Magic Books about how to conceive girls or how to attract people and nothing remotely resembling something a real Wicca-type/Witch might use as a common reference to begin learning with...or do you have Mentors?...See? I know nothing!

Anybody who posted on the 'summoning a demon' sounds like they know their onions so could they suggest further reading?

Thank you.:)

Please people! A good book with occult symbols in PLEASE! for beginners?! pretty please:D

I can't honestly remember, it was a long time ago. Maybe what you are looking for is what I think are called 'correspondences' eg this colour, animal, flower, musical note, symbol, tarot card links to that god/goddess, so you can pick a whole range of things that relate to the idea you are trying to express.

Some books have tables of correspondences but I can't remember any specifically. I think they turn up more in the western mystery tradition, books on qabalah and that sort of thing, rather than wicca/paganism. But you could fit wicca into the system of correspondences too. It's the same has having patron saints who have colours, symbols and artefacts associated with them.

It's an interesting idea to use it for artistic purposes because I think that is what it is about really, it is a creative way of thinking, looking for links between apparently unconnected things.

So not much help really, I'll let you know if I come up with anything more specific!

Thank you. It's much appreciated. The only things I seem to be turning up are the magic-for-commercial-popular-masses so I would really appreciate some insider knowledge before I part with any money. ;)

Chant said:
Thank you. It's much appreciated. The only things I seem to be turning up are the magic-for-commercial-popular-masses so I would really appreciate some insider knowledge before I part with any money. ;)
It's not what you do, it's the way that you do it. ;)

Its in the mind, belief is a powerfull thing and if someone belives then anything is possable.

To make sure i recomend direct revenge, preferably on a regular basis... :heh:

side note, the law of 3 is applicable on this one, you curse someone and the results return 3 times on yourself, this is assuming you belive such things...

Back