• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

cyberpunk/trad fantasy

dirtybob2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
A good few years ago a read a book/series of books that were set in the future at a time when humanity had been affected by a diseases that caused people to mutate into the classic fantasy races - elves etc. It also had a fair amount of cyberpunk type elements, hacking etc.

Does anyone now what these books were?

Sounds kind of like it, but I cant seem to find any mention of the novels I was looking for, only the RPG

Paul J McAuley, 'Fairyland' ?

http://www.rastus.force9.co.uk/FHBR49.html

............cybertech and gene engineering, tinkering with human DNA to produce the world of Faery in a civil-war-strewn Europe of the near future. Fairyland is, in fact, hardest of hard SF.

............the story relates what happens when Alex Sharkey, designer of psychoactive viruses (giving a safe high without drugs), meets up with a scary, super-smart young girl called Milena. Sharkey helps Milena design a means of instilling intelligence into a Doll, the genetically-engineered slave labour of Europe and the rest of the First World. The pair thus create the first of the fairies, who turn out to be every bit as fey and dangerous as their fantasy counterparts. Milena absconds with the first fairy, leaving Sharkey infected with a nanotech device that ensures he will search for Milena. In the next two parts, Alex and others seek to discover the secrets of the fairies, and of Milena, their strange creator, on a quest to make herself immortal.

Dirtybob said:
Sounds kind of like it, but I cant seem to find any mention of the novels I was looking for, only the RPG
There were at least 2 ShadowRun novels:
Never Deal With A Dragon: Secrets of power Vol. 1 and Choose Your Enemies Carefully: Secrets of power Vol. 2. I used to have both, but can only seem to find the latter at the moment. Both were published under the ROC Fantasy imprint, and there may have been others, but CYEC was so gawd-awful I lost interest. (NDWAD on the other hand, I seem to recall quite enjoying.)

[EDIT]
NDWAD:
"In the year 2050, the power of magic has returned to Earth. Elves, Mages and lethal Dragons find a home where technology and human flesh have melded into deadly human predators."

CYEC: "When magic returns to the Earth, its power calls Sam Verner. As Sam searches for his sister through the streets of 2050, he realizes that only when he accepts his destiny as a shaman can he embrace the power he needs for what waits for him in the final confrontation..."

[END EDIT]

Back