Cycling

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Another book is the Bikeability handbook Cyclecraft by John Franklin. http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/

It is the British VC manual however and therefore reading Hurst balances out the more anal aspects of Vehicular Cycling.

Ah, thanks, will check that out also. I can see how a synthesis of the academic and more practical / empirical approaches would be valuable. Cheers.

rynner2

Great Old One
16 January 2015 Last updated at 15:35
Cyclist 'assaulted' by van driver sought by police
[Video:]

A cyclist who filmed an argument with a van driver in which he appears to have been knocked off his bike and assaulted has been urged to contact police.
A video posted on YouTube shows a bike in collision with a van, before the driver and the cyclist argue and the driver appears to punch the cyclist.

Essex Police said it was aware of the video, which is believed to have been filmed on the Essex/London border.
A man, thought to be the van driver, has given police his account of events.
The footage, uploaded on Thursday and since viewed more than 65,000 times, shows a van with the livery of Taylor Landscaping, a company based in Billericay, Essex.
The BBC could not reach Taylor Landscaping for a comment.

Essex Police said it was aware of the video and urged the cyclist to contact his local force

The company was listed on the online directory Trust a Trader.
The directory's managing director Gary McEwen said Taylor Landscaping had been suspended as a member when the video emerged, pending an investigation.
The footage, which appears to have been recorded on a helmet camera, shows a cyclist falling off his bike after an apparent collision with a van travelling in the same direction.
When the van driver gets out of his vehicle, an argument begins between the two men. The driver then appears to assault the cyclist, and the camera falls to the floor.

An Essex Police spokeswoman said a man had voluntarily attended Chelmsford police station earlier to give an account of the incident.
"It has now been established that this incident took place in the Hornchurch area and the matter has been passed to the Metropolitan Police to investigate," she added.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said the force was aware of the case and was making inquiries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-30846362

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
What a dumbass, reminds me of the time (before I cycled) when I had some homophobic abuse shouted at me from a guy in his works van... his work got a not too friendly letter about it.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Vehicular cycling states that by acting as a vehicle you will be safe and other road users will treat you the same way as they treat other vehicles.
How are those guys still alive?

Even motorists routinely don't treat other motorists with respect, cut each other up, disregard who has right of way. Rush hour in Leeds, even staying off the main roads can be pretty dodgy.

On my way home from work today some numty in his range rover pulled right out without looking, didn't see me until he'd gone well over where he should have given way, and by that time, he was where I would have been if I hadn't braked.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers

Even motorists routinely don't treat other motorists with respect, cut each other up, disregard who has right of way. Rush hour in Leeds, even staying off the main roads can be pretty dodgy.

On my way home from work today some numty in his range rover pulled right out without looking, didn't see me until he'd gone well over where he should have given way, and by that time, he was where I would have been if I hadn't braked.
It's when they shrug you off with no look of regret on their faces .. or even worse smile at you or just bloody laugh? ... because apparently nearly going to prison for manslaughter is funny :mad:

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Yeah, I got the shrug and a slight look of annoyance. Always good I suppose to be reminded that your life is worth less than them looking.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting

VC guys treat it like a religion. As I've said they do talk a lot of sense, particularly with shoulder checking, signaling and some road positioning. I think Bikeability does a lot more good than harm and I learned a lot from it. I just think Robert Hurst's book and philosophy should underpin everyone's urban riding style.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
It's funny how they only went to the police when they realised that they are all over Facebook. Pathetic specimens behind a wheel, flicking the V's while nearly running a cyclist over.

rynner2

Great Old One
18 January 2015 Last updated at 23:39
The inspiration behind a new bicycle light
By Datshiane Navanayagam Business reporter
[Video]

It was a fear of being run over by a lorry while out cycling one evening that gave Emily Brooke the brainwave to create an innovative new bike light.
Then a design student in her final year at Brighton University, she was trying to develop a new bicycle safety product, but struggling to come up with a standout idea.

Inspiration came when cycling down a busy city centre street Ms Brooke, now 29, realised that the driver of the lorry in front of her couldn't see her, and that if he was to suddenly turn left she would be "squished".
Thinking about the problem, Ms Brooke came up with the idea of creating a front bike light which also projected a laser image of a bicycle 5m (16ft) ahead to warn motorists that there was a cyclist in their blind spot.
Developing the idea as her main university project, she built a working prototype and got a patent to prevent any copycat producers.

After graduating from Brighton in 2011, she officially launched her business - Blaze - a year later in London, and continued development work on the light.
The Blaze Laserlight hit the marketplace last year, and within months had sold more than 3,000 units.
Yet despite her continuing success, which includes attracting investment from the family of billionaire Sir Richard Branson, Ms Brooke says she doesn't consider herself to be an entrepreneur.
Instead she describes herself as "a crazy, optimistic and driven person, fortunate enough to be making her vision a reality".
Tragedy
For someone who runs a bike accessory business you might imagine that Ms Brooke is a lifelong cyclist.

Using a laser, the light projects an image of the bicycle onto the road in front of the cyclist

Instead she only caught the cycling bug when she was 25, following the sudden death of a male friend.
In his memory, Ms Brooke and a friend decided to cycle the length of the UK from Lands End to John O'Groats to raise money for charity.
It was then that she fell in love with cycling. But more than that, she says experiencing such a profound loss made her want to live her life to the full.
She says it made her determined not follow the corporate rat race, and instead she resolved to start her own company.

With the inspiration for the light coming from cycling down a busy road at night, the idea for her product and business was born.
Before Sir Richard's family made an investment last year, Blaze was back in 2012 one of the first UK companies to raise funds by crowdfunding.

Ms Brooke and her team took their time before the light was made commercially available

It secured £60 contributions from members of the public, in exchange for promising to post them the lights as soon as possible after they had gone into commercial production.
Thanks to excitement about the lights due solely to positive word of mouth, Blaze was able to raise £55,000 via crowdfunding website Kickstarter, almost three times its £20,000 target. :)
Ms Brooke says: "We ran the crowdfunding the month Kickstarter launched in the UK, and it was nerve wracking because the UK really didn't understand what Kickstarter was.

The light has been sold around the world

"But people started talking about us straight away and we were amazed and surprised as the pledges started rolling in.
"It was the best way I could prove the concept - prove people liked the idea, that they would pay for it, before I went and spoke to manufacturers, retailers, investors, etc."

Ms Brooke's target was £25,000. In less than five days she had raised £20,000 and eventually made £55,000 from the Kickstarter project.
It was enough money for a final design to be agreed upon, and for production to start in 2014 in China.
Sir Richard made his investment after he was told about the light by his children, and Emily was invited to meet him.
She so impressed the billionaire that he joined with global investment firm Index Ventures to put in a combined £300,000.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30793332

rynner2

Great Old One
John O’Groats to Land’s End in a week? You must be Cyclo-Paths
06:30 24 January 2015
Stephen Sumner

A team of five fundraisers will have just 10 wheels between them when they ride the length of the country in just a week for a new charity-boosting Sidmouth group.
Matt Barrett, Mark Denning, Steve Parry, Nick Baker and Stuart Coles - the self-proclaimed Sid Valley Cyclo-Paths - have a matter of months to prepare for the mission from John O’Groats to Land’s End - when they will clock up a gruelling 120 miles a day.
They are riding to boost Dream-A-Way Sidmouth, a splinter group formed from the success of local fundraisers.

“We’re doing something in one week that most people do in two,” said Matt, who works at Exeter College.
“We’ve got four-and-a-half months to train – it will soon go. We’re really up against it.
“I’m excited about it but I don’t think any of us are under any illusion of how difficult it’s going to be.”
The 36-year-old will ride with compliance manager Nick, 42, Mark, a 44-year-old builder, Stuart, 28, and Steve, a bar owner, who at 57 is the oldest rider.
They are familiar with events such as one-day sportifs and rides of up to 400 miles, but the over 900-mile distance will be a whole new challenge.

The quintet have chosen the arguably more difficult ‘downhill’ route – but say they would rather tackle Exmoor, Bodmin and Dartmoor to finish in sunny Cornwall than face a 20-hour drive back from northernmost Scotland.
“The first couple of days the adrenaline will be running, but then it will be a real test of our stamina and our willpower,” said Matt.
Supporting them will be a pair of drivers, Russell Belairs and Merv Baker, who will carry spares and ride on ahead to find a mechanic should any major damage occur.
He is appealing for businesses to sponsor their jerseys or anyone interested in sponsoring the ride to email him at [email protected].

Dream-A-Way works across the South West to assist people living with physical and learning difficulties and their families. One hundred per cent of the money raised goes towards holidays and day trips.

http://www.sidmouthherald.co.uk/new...d_in_a_week_you_must_be_cyclo_paths_1_3926744

hunck

Justified & Ancient
As a regular & keen cyclist it pains me to report the twattery I see from some on a near daily basis on my ride in to work.

Today I passed a guy riding a drop handlebar bike with one hand on the bars & a Starbucks coffee in the other. This is in morning rush hour traffic in Islington heading towards central London in a peloton of bikes.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Last week I called the police on some clowns, normally I wouldn't do that just because they're driving like an arsehole, however they had the windows down with pot smoke billowing out... I hate calling the cops on anyone but didn't want to leave it and then see something on the news that they'd caused an accident or something.

Last week I called the police on some clowns, normally I wouldn't do that just because they're driving like an arsehole, however they had the windows down with pot smoke billowing out... I hate calling the cops on anyone but didn't want to leave it and then see something on the news that they'd caused an accident or something.

Couldn't you have just called the circus ringmaster to deal with them?

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
I am hopefully going to become a biker, after not having turned a wheel since childhood. I genuinely cannot remember ever having graduated from three to two wheels, so that old adage about "it's like riding a bike, you never forget it" does not apply in my case. So, like base jumping, piranha paddling and fire-eating, cycling is a concept I am familiar with, but totally inexperienced thereof.

I do need to bike. It's been an unresolved itch for decades, an untreaded rite of passage that's been under my skin for decades. My constant reminder, now, is an eBay-bought 'previously enjoyed' immaculate red mountain bike, which I bought with the affected nonchalance of a hard-bitten cylepsycho (whilst knowing almost bugger-all about them). It sits in my bedroom, laughing at me, ineffectually cloaked by a fleece blanket, my two-wheeled nemesis of scary freedom.

I must get over what amounts almost to being bicyclophobia, and just get out on the damn thing. All the requisite safety gear does not help my bike-shyness either....jeeez.

But not this weekend.... (my pulse-rate slows, and the bike gives a little hiss of derisive servitude....It knows it can, and will, throw me under it's wheels, some time soon)

Ermintruder

You are Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes) and I claim my £5!
Ooh, good spot! No, my fear runs much deeper than his. I'm possibly more like Hobbes, a dysfunctional Tigger-familiar.

But I do want to master the blasted thing, and force it into making me a better/fitter (in old money)/happier person. I must first break it's spirit, and show who is master....sitting there, smugly, with it's spokes and brake...thingmies. Two feet good, two wheels bad.

Ermintruder

When did cyclists become bikers?

I always think of bikers to mean motorbike not pushbike.
I think when mountain bikes (nee 'BMX') arrived or possibly with the advent of the term 'push-bike', which I have been told is a celtic Americanism. I think it's possibly now a class speech-flag. Middle/upper class cyclists cycle on pedal-cycles, middle/working class bikers cycle on bikes. Note that 'motorcycle' tends to be a formal governmental term (DVLA/DMV), with 'bikers' self-identifying as such. Consider how odd the following now sound:
- 'mountain cycle'
- 'quad cycle'
- 'Hairy Cyclists'

....yet 'bike path' etc also sound incongruous

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Had a puncture on the way in. Discovered a tiny Allen Key about two inches long jutting out of my rear tire at a 45% angle. These are Schawlbe marathons probably the best communting tires known to man. Took a fair bit to pull it out and it blew out a couple of spokes during the impact.

...Today I passed a guy riding a drop handlebar bike with one hand on the bars & a Starbucks coffee in the other. This is in morning rush hour traffic in Islington heading towards central London in a peloton of bikes.
Round these parts we seem to get a lot of cyclists (male) presumably trying to impress nearby females by riding hands-free, often with hands in pockets, or constructing roll-up ciggys in the saddle. Impressive feats of balance in a way, but these are not pre-teen tearaways or needy hipsters on fixie bikes, rather grown men in their 20's, 30's and 40's, and can often be seen popping wheelies and pathetic bunny-hops throughout the busy pedestrian areas to the delight of all, especially the elderly and mothers with small children.

I find establishing eye contact and mouthing 'you fucking wanker' makes me feel a little better :mad:

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Did any of you watch the World Track Cycling Championships a few weeks back? The company I work for was involved in it and we used new cycle-mounted cameras to give a new angle on the coverage. Some great shots of the chasing riders and the determination on their faces. A positive addition or an unnecessary gimmick?

https://vine.co/v/OxLeqEI9aJH

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Did any of you watch the World Track Cycling Championships a few weeks back? The company I work for was involved in it and we used new cycle-mounted cameras to give a new angle on the coverage. Some great shots of the chasing riders and the determination on their faces. A positive addition or an unnecessary gimmick?

https://vine.co/v/OxLeqEI9aJH
Working a lot recently but what I caught was great. Do the cyclists moan about the added weight?

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Working a lot recently but what I caught was great. Do the cyclists moan about the added weight?
Would hope it is not noticeable, the cam and arm weigh just 199 grams. Not all bikes are hooked up with a live cam, some have weighted dummy cams.

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
I could well imagine weight weenies moaning about that.
I didn't hear of any complaints from the team on site. I think the UCI were very keen on this new camera being a success so it may be a case of the cyclists being told they will be using them. Some impressive footage though, generally response seemed to be very positive from fans.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Just nearly been run over by a nurse opposite my house. I was passing a van that was parked next door on my bike when this stupid woman shot round the corner too fast and never even noticed me. She nearly took me and the driver out who was getting out of the van.

Just nearly been run over by a nurse opposite my house. I was passing a van that was parked next door on my bike when this stupid woman shot round the corner too fast and never even noticed me. She nearly took me and the driver out who was getting out of the van.
Make a complaint to the police.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
I highly doubt the police would do anything at all unless there's video footage of the incident. Probably better to have a word with the woman herself. You never know, it may have some effect on her future driving....

Mind you, I've had various unsatisfactory incidents doing this. I was overtaken by a hire van who then promptly turned left on me into a side road & if I hadn't been aware of the situation & jammed on the brakes I would've gone into the left hand side of the van. He parked up just into the side road & when I had a somewhat angry word with him telling him he's gonna hurt or kill someone driving like that he invited me to go fuck myself.

It made me fume & I briefly considered getting a brick & chucking through the windscreen to fuck him up, but sense prevailed. He probably would have knocked over the next cyclist he saw. Some people are just arses to be avoided.