Cycling

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Had an epic few days of cycling. Today we took a couple of trains here and there along the Welsh coast and cycled on and off-road and, y'know, ended up at the Indian. One nice curry and some beers later we staggered back onto the train for home.
Expected to be kicked off it for looking filthy, stinking of beer and being pissed but luckily Adam the pleasant young train conductor let us stay on.

Here's Techy next to the RSPB reserve at Conwy.

Attachments

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Saddle looks a tad low
I also prefer a low saddle on my mountain bike but then I'm an ex BMX rider .. so I spent more time riding my bike standing up anyway. Halfords kept trying to raise my seat when I'd take it in for a service so I had to explain this each time to them.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Today we cycled to Llandudno Junction, then popped across the bridge to Conwy for wander, and thence to the Great Orme. Cycled round that (the wrong way, ooer) and back to Prestatyn for the train home.

On way back we stopped at Asda for knocked-down snacks and drinks to stuff down our throats on the train. Broke quite a few PRs along the seafront according to the venerable Mr Garmin.

Attachments

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Train to Lancaster, offroad to Morecambe, tootling along seafront and then canal towpath to Carnforth and back.
Missed the turnoff for Lancaster on way back, giving us the opportunity to enjoy the stunning Lune Aqueduct and cycle back to town along the river bank.

We had a little time to spare so wandered round HMP Lancaster for a while. Nearly got locked in, ooer.

Morecambe 2.jpg Morecambe 1.jpg

Swifty

I've posted this video before, I might actually get around to making some of these safety ice stud tyres for my bike this year, a brilliantly cheap and simple idea + it makes your bike look cool as f**k ..

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
I've posted this video before, I might actually get around to making some of these safety ice stud tyres for my bike this year, a brilliantly cheap and simple idea + it makes your bike look cool as f**k ..

Yeah do this if you've got an old pair of old knobby MTB tires knocking around. I'd use a slightly smaller inner tube than the tire size to make up for the extra space taken up by the tube you are cutting up to act as the liner.

You could probably get away with only doing the front only? or just do the front and the top of the sides of the rear tire.

Also be careful when mounting the tire the risk of ripping your hands to bits is pretty high.

Also very good quality steel screws as I could see them snapping and wearing down quite quickly.

You'll be prone to extra punctures but hey it's worth I guess. I wouldn't be taking the bike out on any main roads though.

Also check your tire clearance from the frame, you might wanna remove any mudguards.

I'd certainly do a bit more googling or ask a question of these guys https://www.bikeforums.net/ to see if it's safe and workable

Swifty

Yeah do this if you've got an old pair of old knobby MTB tires knocking around. I'd use a slightly smaller inner tube than the tire size to make up for the extra space taken up by the tube you are cutting up to act as the liner.

You could probably get away with only doing the front only? or just do the front and the top of the sides of the rear tire.

Also be careful when mounting the tire the risk of ripping your hands to bits is pretty high.

Also very good quality steel screws as I could see them snapping and wearing down quite quickly.

You'll be prone to extra punctures but hey it's worth I guess. I wouldn't be taking the bike out on any main roads though.

Also check your tire clearance from the frame, you might wanna remove any mudguards.

I'd certainly do a bit more googling or ask a question of these guys https://www.bikeforums.net/ to see if it's safe and workable
Thanks Dad ;)

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
I have "official" ice tyres and they are really good. It is like riding through treacle though and if you find some tarmac it sounds like cycling over rice krispies.

Of course you need both tyres done. If your back wheel slips you are on the ground just as quickly as if the front had slipped.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
This morning we did a quick ride (11 miles or so) to the Marina for a nice cafe breakfast. We'd hardly started on way back when Techy got a puncture so we stopped and he began taking off the back wheel to change the inner tube.

As I'm at work later I set off home without him in case it was a long job. 4 miles along, he caught me up, having fixed the problem and pelted along after me at full speed. What a Speed King!

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
A crazy squealing from the bike was driving me mad So I got up an hour early, grabbed my toolbox, put a sheet down, grabbed my bike stand. Paper towels, latex gloves, wandered off to find my apron, spent 10 minutes looking for the lithium grease. Found the grease set the stand up, (it's a pain in the arse as its adjustable), turned on the telly, made a cup of tea, fired the tablet up and found Sheldon Brown's site, (bike repair dude RIP).

Ready for some wrenching.

Spun the front wheel noticed it was rubbing on the disc brake roter, opened up the quick release, reset the wheel and closed the quick release, problem solved.

Preparing for fixing the bike = 20 mins.

Fixing the bike = 15 seconds.

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
A crazy squealing from the bike was driving me mad So I got up an hour early, grabbed my toolbox, put a sheet down, grabbed my bike stand. Paper towels, latex gloves, wandered off to find my apron, spent 10 minutes looking for the lithium grease. Found the grease set the stand up, (it's a pain in the arse as its adjustable), turned on the telly, made a cup of tea fired the tablet up and found Sheldon Brown's site, (bike repair dude RIP).

Ready for some wrenching.

Spun the front wheel noticed it was rubbing on the disc brake roter, opened up the quick release, reset the wheel and closed the quick release, problem solved.

Preparing for fixing the bike = 20 mins.

Fixing problem = 15 seconds.
:rollingw:

It 'appens!

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Despite me advancin' years (Speak up! Everyone nowadays mumbles except for that lovely Moira Stuart!) I'm quite a keen cyclist, and think little of covering 20 miles in an afternoon.

Yesterday I decided to have a break from correcting the Internet in order to cycle to a lovely little village about 5 miles away. I charged up my powerful front strobe light despite it being broad daylight on a bright day, and donned my helmet and high-visibility clothing. Traffic was light and the weather pleasantly cool. Off I went.

Just a quarter of a mile from home I had to turn right at a roundabout. I negotiated it as if I were the poster boy for road safety and cycling proficiency. Proper unambiguous signals, lights, hi-viz kit etc.

As I was about to complete my right turn, a dithering old biddy in a dark Toyota lurched out of one of the junctions and onto the roundabout. To give the old harpy her due, she did stop almost immediately: Right in my fucking path. I had no time even to attempt to brake or steer. Straight into a classic 90° T-bone at 10 to 12 mph.

Pow! I am inertia- and gravity's bitch...

Over the handlebars, onto her bonnet. Rolled off the bonnet onto the road. Ouch!

To add insult to injury, she then accuses me of "Zooming up out of nowhere"! Bitch, my front light is capable of causing epileptic fits in gastropods on Saturn, and you claim you couldn't see me?

Insult to injury II: A witness called the police. After about 20 minutes a Panda car cruised slowly past the scene then vanished in the distance. Five minutes later it retraced its path. I waved at the driver. He waved back. He drove on, never to be seen again. WTF?

Anyway, long story short, police and ambulance eventually attended. Diagnosis: whiplash and two slightly scabby knees. Police RTA report commenced.

The worst part? My lovely £1,500 Trek 1500 Triple is dead:

Weep for my companion of thousands of miles.

maximus otter

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Good knows how she missed one of those lights they can be actually painful.

Swifty

Sod the bike, at least you're alright man .. well, 'alright's' debatable.