Cycling

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Had to jam on the brakes to avoid hitting a girl crossing the road into the space on the kerb side of a road of stationary traffic waiting at lights. I was coming along in that space. She didn't check the coast was clear at all & was studying her phone.

When I told her to look before stepping out, she told me to "fuck off mate".

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Had to jam on the brakes to avoid hitting a girl crossing the road into the space on the kerb side of a road of stationary traffic waiting at lights. I was coming along in that space. She didn't check the coast was clear at all & was studying her phone.

When I told her to look before stepping out, she told me to "fuck off mate".
Yes, people no longer thank you for saving their lives.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Yes, people no longer thank you for saving their lives.
My ride to work is partly along cycle paths, not that you'd know as pedestrians straggle along them with headphones on and hoods up, totally oblivious. There's no way of alerting them as they can't hear bike bells or me shouting 'scuse ME!'

Yesterday a bloke crossed a busy road about 10 yards from a zebra crossing, while looking at his phone, and landed on the cycle path right in front of me. I should have just run into him but I was already late.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
My ride to work is partly along cycle paths, not that you'd know as pedestrians straggle along them with headphones on and hoods up, totally oblivious. There's no way of alerting them as they can't hear bike bells or me shouting 'scuse ME!'

Yesterday a bloke crossed a busy road about 10 yards from a zebra crossing, while looking at his phone, and landed on the cycle path right in front of me. I should have just run into him but I was already late.
During carnival week each year in Cromer, the roads are usually walked on because the pavements are too narrow to handle the crowds of tourists. They're on holiday so I'm not an arsehole about it and cut them some slack. I'd always slow down and carefully navigate my bike around the people walking in the middle of the road. One year, I had a woman, about 20 years old walking in the road for absolutely no good reason, there was room on the pavement but she clearly felt like walking on the road instead. She didn't look drunk or anything, I was riding probably about 10 mph at maximum towards her, she looked directly at me for a good long time but clearly couldn't be bothered to get out of the way so I just rode into her, not hard enough to knock her over, just to deliberately knock her with my handlebars. The look on her entitled face was priceless and I received a few well done comments from passers by.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
I'm sometimes tempted to ride into wankers stepping out without looking or studying their phone but you never know what could happen. You could get hurt yourself. Might make them more attentive in future though if they were a bit hurt.

Road rage incident today. I could see it brewing up ahead - a cyclist was a twat, didn't want to be held up even slightly & overtook a car at a width restriction on the wrong side of the road, car driver didn't like it & got slightly held up trying to pass on the narrow road with cars parked at the kerb, drew alongside the cyclist really [dangerously] close & shouting ensued as he wound down the window yelling over his young passenger - presumably his son, whilst also having to look ahead to miss traffic islands in the road.

He got past the cyclist then when they got to the next red light, the guy got out of his car, confronted the cyclist, pushed him hard in the chest & started yelling, was quickly surrounded by other cyclists & a ruckus developed. I didn't bother to hang around when the lights turned green. They were both twats in my opinion.

I gathered from biker chat at the next set of red lights that once surrounded & the lights turning green, he got back in his car.

It didn't get either of them anywhere quicker - they both stopped at the same set of red lights, & an accident or escalated incident could well have happened.

Swifty

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
“I knocked a cyclist off his bike. I have right of way, he doesn’t even pay road tax”

This report goes back to 2013 when a woman cheerfully wrote the above on Twitter ..

http://ipayroadtax.com/no-such-thin...ave-right-of-way-he-doesnt-even-pay-road-tax/

(I know I've admitted to clipping someone's arm on my bike a few posts up but I think the above woman's actions were a but mental)
Stupid, arrogant bitch. She did cop it though -

At Norwich Magistrates court on 19th November, Emma Way was found not guilty of driving without due care and attention; guilty of failing to stop after an incident; and guilty of failing to report that incident.

She told the magistrates her original tweet was “the biggest regret of my life so far.” So, no regrets about hitting the cyclist, just getting caught admitting she had hit the cyclist!

Way was fined £337, ordered to pay £300 costs and had 7 points added to her licence for the failure to stop and failure to report collision.
Hit'em in the pocket, I say. £637 in fines and costs is hefty, plus the 7 points will stay on for four years and bump up her insurance costs. She'll need to drive vey carefully for a while if she wants to keep her licence.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Feck it's windy out there. I actually got blown over & off my bike today by a sudden huge broadside gust. Fortunately for me it blew me sprawling onto the pavement & not into the road. First time that's ever happened to me.

Watch out there pedal pushers.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Swedish e-bike (electric bike) rider stopped by the police doing 98kph on his, er, 'adapted' e-bike. As in the UK his e-bike should be limited to 250w with no assistance over 25kph; his had two power settings: 1kw and 4kw!

According to the Swedish police: "It was life-threatening. The bicycle probably didn’t have a frame built for such speed, and the brakes didn’t work either." Way to go, fella! A future candidate for the Darwin Awards. That said, I really doubt that the integrity of the frame would be an issue, though the lack of brakes might be a slight concern...

http://road.cc/content/news/239923-...e-rider-after-clocking-him-98-kilometres-hour

Swifty

This video's called 'Cyclist with huge knife knocked off getaway bike in Cardiff city centre with police in pursuit' ... I've heard of local bush telegraph news spreading fast but I'm wondering how these people knew they had the correct cyclist, I can't see a huge knife ?

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
This video's called 'Cyclist with huge knife knocked off getaway bike in Cardiff city centre with police in pursuit' ... I've heard of local bush telegraph news spreading fast but I'm wondering how these people knew they had the correct cyclist, I can't see a huge knife ?

Assuming the polis car that came was the one seen a few seconds earlier that had turned round, I am guessing all the passers by could actually see what was happening.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
I took my bike in for a service last week. Was expecting a bill of around £300 as I'm getting a new front wheel which is £100ish on it's own + other new parts.

Got a phone call from them a few days later - turns out I need more new parts + the headset has corroded together & they can't get it apart so I agreed the new parts & for them to send it to a frame builder for him to free up. New estimate around £400.

Got another call yesterday - there's dodgy rust on one of the tubes which the frame builder recommends replacing, then on top of that, the frame has several other rust spots where the paint has come off so I've decided after humming & ha-ing to have the tube replaced & frame completely re-enamelled. Now talking about £600+ for the whole thing. If I'd have known at the start I may have looked for a new bike. I'm hoping I think it's worth it when I get it back, which I'm looking forward to as I've been forced to get the underground in the morning rush the past week. Never a pleasant experience.

It's a quality frame which I got cheap as it was in very imperfect condition when I bought it. I think it must've been left outside for ages at some point. The good thing about that was because it looked scruffy I could leave it chained up with minimal worry it'd be nicked.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I took my bike in for a service last week. Was expecting a bill of around £300 as I'm getting a new front wheel which is £100ish on it's own + other new parts.

Got a phone call from them a few days later - turns out I need more new parts + the headset has corroded together & they can't get it apart so I agreed the new parts & for them to send it to a frame builder for him to free up. New estimate around £400.

Got another call yesterday - there's dodgy rust on one of the tubes which the frame builder recommends replacing, then on top of that, the frame has several other rust spots where the paint has come off so I've decided after humming & ha-ing to have the tube replaced & frame completely re-enamelled. Now talking about £600+ for the whole thing. If I'd have known at the start I may have looked for a new bike. I'm hoping I think it's worth it when I get it back, which I'm looking forward to as I've been forced to get the underground in the morning rush the past week. Never a pleasant experience.

It's a quality frame which I got cheap as it was in very imperfect condition when I bought it. I think it must've been left outside for ages at some point. The good thing about that was because it looked scruffy I could leave it chained up with minimal worry it'd be nicked.
At that kind of price, it might be worth acquiring the skills and tools to fix it yourself.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
You have a point but brazing new tubes & re-enamelling is beyond me. Replacing other parts maybe..I've done new crank & wheel bearings before & am up to some other jobs, but a new wheel is a new wheel. If I did it myself I could probably save £150ish though.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
You have a point but brazing new tubes & re-enamelling is beyond me. Replacing other parts maybe..I've done new crank & wheel bearings before & am up to some other jobs, but a new wheel is a new wheel. If I did it myself I could probably save £150ish though.
I hate doing anything with wheels the idea of lacing, etc just does my head in. Also I can't justify buying a truing stand.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Had a nice bracing ride today, one of our favourites - train to Lancaster then offroad to Morecambe and Heysham, taking in assorted hot snacks/pies and peas/ice cream. We were expecting to have a curry before the train back but spent too long eating and pootling around. What a great day.
Sounds a good day & you didn't go short on the eating. How far d'you reckon you cycled?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Sounds a good day & you didn't go short on the eating. How far d'you reckon you cycled?
We did just under 30 miles, a bit up and down in places and with some detours up lanes in the hope of getting lost. (I love getting lost. Techy doesn't yet quite grasp the enormity of this obsession of mine. One day we'll be totally in the middle of nowhere, no idea where we are or how to get home, and I'll be like *heh*)

Weather was mainly overcast with a bit of hail, yes, hail, which had us laughing like daft things. It was mainly cold.
You can see the hills of the Lake District across Morecambe Bay and some had snow!

The tide went out quickly and didn't come back while we were there, leaving the famous Morecambe Bay tourist walks/quicksand bare for all to see. Must admit, I'm tempted to take a guided walk over there.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Some of the best advice I was ever given about cycling is shower before you go out on your bike and only use plant-based washing powders as they make your gear less funky.
On a long bike ride I'd hope to sweat enough to STINK or there's little point.

It's not as if I'm looking for a husband! ;)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Yesterday - EPIC.

To start with, LSS, Techy and his bike got 'locked on' the train and sailed off without me. I was laughing so hard, all I could do was wave fondly. As I had all the tickets he had fun explaining himself to the guard.

He got off at the next stop, 30 miles away, and I found another train to catch him up on. Meanwhile he had to grapple with the staff and police at the ticket barrier. 'Yes of course sir, we hear that one a LOT!' He was very nearly arrested for fare-dodging. They only let him go because he offered to wait there for me to turn up with the paperwork.

As I was well behind him by now on a 'stopping' train, I texted him to meet me at the next stop back from his. He then set off at speed to cover the 6 miles, mainly along the seafront, and arrived minutes before I did.

There was an emotional reunion - er, more laughing from me at his story of his plight - and we set off for a nice coastal ride. About 40 miles with stops for pizza, beer and a warming whisky. Bright sunshine and high winds all the way. Gorgeous views, wind chill, photo opportunities, sunburn, lattes, hills, what a great day!

Rather bad news in the cycling world.

Mexican investigators say two European cyclists did not die in an accident as first claimed - they were murdered.

The bodies of Holger Hagenbusch, from Germany, and Krzysztof Chmielewski, from Poland, were found at the bottom of a cliff in Chiapas state.

Local authorities had said the pair appeared to have fallen after losing control.

However, relatives and fellow cyclists suspected it was more sinister, and had called for a deeper investigation.

The newly appointed special prosecutor, Luis Alberto Sánchez, said, on Friday, that they were killed in what appears to have been a robbery.

"Our investigations up to now indicate this was an intentional homicide," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-44094868