Cycling

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Most police forces have a system for logging these - check on your local force's website, they should have somewhere to report dangerous or antisocial driving.

The one in Sussex is called 'Operation Crackdown' - when someone is reported it's logged. If the same reg is logged twice they get a letter. Third time, it's a knock on the door.

You don't necessarily need video footage or a photo, just as many vehicle details as possible. It really is worth reporting these idiots.

I highly doubt the police would do anything at all unless there's video footage of the incident. Probably better to have a word with the woman herself. You never know, it may have some effect on her future driving....

Mind you, I've had various unsatisfactory incidents doing this. I was overtaken by a hire van who then promptly turned left on me into a side road & if I hadn't been aware of the situation & jammed on the brakes I would've gone into the left hand side of the van. He parked up just into the side road & when I had a somewhat angry word with him telling him he's gonna hurt or kill someone driving like that he invited me to go fuck myself.

It made me fume & I briefly considered getting a brick & chucking through the windscreen to fuck him up, but sense prevailed. He probably would have knocked over the next cyclist he saw. Some people are just arses to be avoided.
I've had punch ups with motorists in the past but I'm calmer these days.

Imho its important to log this kind of thing, if the police get other complaints about her they may act.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
I am hoping that it may have shook her up enough to be more careful when driving in the future, but that may be in vain.

rynner2

Great Old One
3 March 2015 Last updated at 14:54
Ford launches e-bikes at mobile show

The MoDe: Pro e-bike is aimed at couriers and other professionals

Motor company Ford has launched electric bicycles at Mobile World Congress, as part of its plans to extend its footprint beyond cars.
Increasingly car manufacturers are looking to new ways to make money with many developing so-called smart transportation systems.

Ford's e-bikes come in two flavours - one for use by commuters and one as a commercial bike for couriers.
Both are linked to a smartphone app that provides step-by-step navigation.
The experiment with e-bikes is part of Ford's smart mobility plan - it is keen to study how such bicycles integrate with cars and public transport

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31709204

Heckler

The unspeakable mass
Most police forces have a system for logging these - check on your local force's website, they should have somewhere to report dangerous or antisocial driving.

The one in Sussex is called 'Operation Crackdown' - when someone is reported it's logged. If the same reg is logged twice they get a letter. Third time, it's a knock on the door.

You don't necessarily need video footage or a photo, just as many vehicle details as possible. It really is worth reporting these idiots.

I have indeed used the service a couple of times and both drivers received a letter. The first one, a white van (natch), who undertook a car at a set of traffic lights doing about forty and narrowly (and by narrowly I mean a flaccid gnat's cock) missed both me on a bike and the car he undertook will kill someone or himself before long. I got the incident on camera and when I watched it back I realised that had I had a bike with flat bars rather than drop bars it would've ended badly (he was that close).

The car driver in that incident wound down her window at the next set of lights (clearly shocked) and apologised on the van driver's behalf.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
I'm glad that seems to be effective for you.

A while back I had a near miss with some idiot who was tearing up the bus line in a car, I was a bit newer to cycling then and not as aware of some of the really fuck stupid things to watch out for.

Got the whole thing on video including the guys reg, emailed it through to the local authority's enforcement and never heard back.

rynner2

Great Old One
Police warn four-year-old girl for riding on the pavement
'Daft' officer made her get off and threatened to confiscate her bike
By Victoria Ward
10:04AM GMT 10 Mar 2015

A police officer threatened to confiscate a four-year-old's bike because she was riding on the pavement.
Sophie Lindley, who uses stabilisers, was cycling with her father, Dale, when an officer pulled up and told her she had to get off as she was breaking the law.
She was left in floods of tears and had to be carried to school.

Mr Lindley, 35, said he was astonished, branding the policeman "daft".
He told the BBC: "We stopped to look at some ducks when the officer pulled over and said she had to get off.
"He said 'The law is the law' and she was not allowed to ride on the path.
"He said 'If I catch you put her on her bike further up the road I will turn around and confiscate the bike'.
"I couldn't believe it."

et bloody cetera...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pic...year-old-girl-for-riding-on-the-pavement.html

Some sense here:

Roger Geffen, of national charity Cyclists' Touring Club, said the officer was "wrong".
"The police officer has forgotten that children under the age of 10 are below the criminal age of responsibility so they can't break laws and can technically ride on the pavement," he said. :p

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
Cyclists on the path are bloody annoying, but I don't think anyone could possibly object to a toddler toddling along the pavement on her mini-bike.

I'd suggest the police would be better off targeting those beardy hipsters who seem to think they have a God given right to cycle through the city centre at top speed. Every time I see one of those buggers I have an unreasonable desire to punch them off their bikes and then stamp on their beardy head.

Heckler

The unspeakable mass
I'm glad that seems to be effective for you.
Given that there appears to be no other method for reporting dangerous driving that hasn't ended in death or injury there really isn't any choice. I applaud the fact that the police at least recognise that dangerous driving needs to be tackled, I am not sure how effective a strongly worded letter will be to discourage people who have that mindset. Police forces are stretched all over, the lack of action unless something serious has occurred as a result of illegality may well come to be a feature of policing moving forward.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Well that was a scary experience and also an interesting learning point.

I needed to do a turn in the road in a relatively quiet street, I can see in my mirror there's someone quite a long way behind me, far enough that I'll be well out of his way by the time I'm partway through the manauver... only in the space of a couple of seconds he's variously totally put his foot down without looking, the panicked and swerved towards me, then brakes just in time for him to not hit me with him on the wrong fricking side of the road. He then proceeds to threaten me with violence.

Thought I had my camera on after some pissheads had yelled at me at the lights a way back, but apparently not.

Well that was a scary experience and also an interesting learning point.

I needed to do a turn in the road in a relatively quiet street, I can see in my mirror there's someone quite a long way behind me, far enough that I'll be well out of his way by the time I'm partway through the manauver... only in the space of a couple of seconds he's variously totally put his foot down without looking, the panicked and swerved towards me, then brakes just in time for him to not hit me with him on the wrong fricking side of the road. He then proceeds to threaten me with violence.

Thought I had my camera on after some pissheads had yelled at me at the lights a way back, but apparently not.
Glad you're ok.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Apparently getting behind the wheel of a vehicle makes it an extension of your personality. I think we can draw our own conclusions about the kind of person OWB's NDE instigator is.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Arab guy actually, which sadly, while in a minority in that area, seem to make up the majority of 'boy racers' that drive in a risky way. Not counting taxi drivers, who are all arabs and all drive very inconsiderately, but at least I can usually see them coming.

I think he had a child in the car with him, also often a factor when someone isn't paying attention.

Pity my camera wasn't on, he looked like such a total arsehole sitting there shaking his fist at me. What a big man.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Don't think the race matters so much as an idiot behind the wheel is a danger no matter their origins.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Apparently getting behind the wheel of a vehicle makes it an extension of your personality. I think we can draw our own conclusions about the kind of person OWB's NDE instigator is.
My wife becomes a sweary maniac behind the wheel but only at other car drivers as living with me she has no choice but to respect cyclists.

Got buzzed on purpose the other day, the car was travelling about 60mph. I could have reached out and touched it. Glad the driver was a good driver otherwise I could have been killed. Pity he/she was a complete prick though.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Is there a name for the thing where a car starts to overtake you, then when he's right next to you matches speed and does a left turn? There should be for how often it happens.

I don't know what it is with drivers, but I can have a hassle free commute for quite a long time, then have a bunch of real dangerous driving to deal with in the space of a week/day or sometimes even 20 minutes.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Is there a name for the thing where a car starts to overtake you, then when he's right next to you matches speed and does a left turn? There should be for how often it happens.

I don't know what it is with drivers, but I can have a hassle free commute for quite a long time, then have a bunch of real dangerous driving to deal with in the space of a week/day or sometimes even 20 minutes.

Yeah its called hooking or getting hooked. Most are accidental. Some are not and that is something else. In the States its called getting Right Hooked. At home it's when a car passes you and then turns left in front of you.

Lol happened to me coming home from work but was actually my fault as I came of a really badly designed shared path onto a road just as this guy was going to turn left. I stood on my brakes and did a trackstand, (as far as you can on a freewheel)

I find you get a spate of them, (shitty drivers) and then you have it pretty easy for awhile. If you are in a shitty-driver storm just take it easy and be extra vigilant.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Had a spill on the bike after an encounter with wet leaves and those f*cking horrible plastic judder bar/speed humps. It was like hitting black ice. Messed up deltoid (AGAINNNNNNNNNNN!), shoulder, hip and lower back.

Jeez and I've just started running again Everything is pain so I'm medicating with red wine at the mo.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Had a spill on the bike after an encounter with wet leaves and those f*cking horrible plastic judder bar/speed humps. It was like hitting black ice. Messed up deltoid (AGAINNNNNNNNNNN!), shoulder, hip and lower back.

Jeez and I've just started running again Everything is pain so I'm medicating with red wine at the mo.
Get your hot water bottle out and only half fill it so you can sleep on it .. I've been in your situation before. XX

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Get your hot water bottle out and only half fill it so you can sleep on it .. I've been in your situation before. XX

Great idea but it would attract all of the kitties in the house. I'd just be cat furniture, we have several. After all its not about my needs right?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Great idea but it would attract all of the kitties in the house. I'd just be cat furniture, we have several. After all its not about my needs right?
Wrong, tonight it's about your needs ... fuck 'em just for tonight ... they'll survive and thrive.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Yeah its called hooking or getting hooked. Most are accidental. Some are not and that is something else. In the States its called getting Right Hooked. At home it's when a car passes you and then turns left in front of you.

Lol happened to me coming home from work but was actually my fault as I came of a really badly designed shared path onto a road just as this guy was going to turn left. I stood on my brakes and did a trackstand, (as far as you can on a freewheel)

I find you get a spate of them, (shitty drivers) and then you have it pretty easy for awhile. If you are in a shitty-driver storm just take it easy and be extra vigilant.
Previous me you talk a lot of sense. But you are a smug sensi bastard and you'll f*cking well feel the Pain. I fucking hate previous friggin smug me - what an arsehole!