Cycling

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Rather bad news in the cycling world.

Mexican investigators say two European cyclists did not die in an accident as first claimed - they were murdered.

The bodies of Holger Hagenbusch, from Germany, and Krzysztof Chmielewski, from Poland, were found at the bottom of a cliff in Chiapas state.

Local authorities had said the pair appeared to have fallen after losing control.

However, relatives and fellow cyclists suspected it was more sinister, and had called for a deeper investigation.

The newly appointed special prosecutor, Luis Alberto Sánchez, said, on Friday, that they were killed in what appears to have been a robbery.

"Our investigations up to now indicate this was an intentional homicide," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-44094868
South American does have its murders occasionally. A cousins friend was murdered in Bolivia a few years back with her partner. They were climbers and were robbed and then shot. They go after cash or passports.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I cycle to work when the weather is nice, it's an 8 mile round trip, i also go mountain biking, i have a basic bike for cycling and a Voodoo for mountain biking, it's a great way to keep fit and stay in shape, plus meeting fellow cyclists along the way:friends:
What about the cakes? It's all about the cakes.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Mmmmmm yeah the odd cake in moderation is fine! :p
'odd cake'? 'moderation'? Speak English, woman! :confused:

Everyone knows that cycling is all about the cake shops. A sort of patisserie-themed point-to-point, if you will.

When we discuss routes with other cyclists the main question is where the cakes can be found. Heysham, near Morecambe, has three cafes within about 50 yards full of home-made cakes and pies and other fresh goodies. Cyclists descend on the village green and elbow each other aside to get through the doors first.

Cream teas and bicycling - an olde English tradition, don't you know! :D

Draheste

Devoted Cultist

Everyone knows that cycling is all about the cake shops. A sort of patisserie-themed point-to-point, if you will.

When we discuss routes with other cyclists the main question is where the cakes can be found. Heysham, near Morecambe, has three cafes within about 50 yards full of home-made cakes and pies and other fresh goodies. Cyclists descend on the village green and elbow each other aside to get through the doors first.

My sister, when she comes to see me from France loves doing jsut that. Cycling for hours in the summer heat and then have teas and cakes in tea shops around where I'm living. Dorchester on Thames has a famous tea room, we come back every year and sell leaf teas instead of teabags.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...Dorchester_on_Thames_Oxfordshire_England.html

escargot

Disciple of Marduk

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Today we had a nice ride round the country roads, about 32 miles, with breakfast/coffee/ice cream en route.

Some of the old peripheral issues had needed sorting, if you know what I mean. So I ordered some chamois cream for the undercarriage, slapped it on, HIGHLY satisfactory. My whingeing normally starts about 30 miles in but I've recently managed much longer than that.

The other problem was the flying bug/dust situation. Made myself some dust masks* and tried them out with fantastic results; no bugs or leaves ingested at any point. This is a big help and I'm completely satisfied.

*Went to the sewing shop and asked to see some stretchy gauze material. The assistant showed me some and I said 'I need to try breathing through it, look away!'

She sportingly averted her gaze while I tested the permeability and then sold me several yards in two colours. Absolutely marvellous fabric. Hacked out the right amount, lobbed it through the serger, badda-bing! No wasps up the nose!

Destiny.

Devoted Cultist

Lol!! I don't eat many cakes to be honest, i haven't got a single sweet tooth, i do like ice cream though so i indulge in that while stopping at cafes for a rest from cycling, i try to do about 8 miles a day, but i also go off road with my Voodoo bike and hit a dirt track through a forest:hapdan:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Lol!! I don't eat many cakes to be honest, i haven't got a single sweet tooth, i do like ice cream though so i indulge in that while stopping at cafes for a rest from cycling, i try to do about 8 miles a day, but i also go off road with my Voodoo bike and hit a dirt track through a forest:hapdan:
Yup, I don't normally indulge in confectionery but out on rides it's part of the fun. We tell ourselves it's like being on holiday!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Last summer I thought Techy was fit enough to join a cycling group and get out there with some other fanatics. He wouldn't, as he didn't yet physically resemble a racing snake.

(He still doesn't but plenty of others don't either!)

However, on Sunday he went out for a longish ride with a couple of nice blokes we met through a bike shop. He's now a member of the biggest local cycling group. I think the ride was like an audition!

So he's planning to be out every night now for the foreseeable future with his new cycling buddies. This is fine with me as long as he's still happy to tootle along the coast with me at weekends!

Oh yeah, and I've now perfected my bug/dust mask design. I reckon it'll be good in winter too as it'll keep the fizzog warm while not steaming my specs up on 05:30 rides to work.

Here's a photo from the day. Can you spot the location?
(Two of the blokes are wearing my bug masks, adjusted for portraiture purposes!)

AAAAAAride.jpg

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Last summer I thought Techy was fit enough to join a cycling group and get out there with some other fanatics. He wouldn't, as he didn't yet physically resemble a racing snake.

(He still doesn't but plenty of others don't either!)

However, on Sunday he went out for a longish ride with a couple of nice blokes we met through a bike shop. He's now a member of the biggest local cycling group. I think the ride was like an audition!

So he's planning to be out every night now for the foreseeable future with his new cycling buddies. This is fine with me as long as he's still happy to tootle along the coast with me at weekends!

Oh yeah, and I've now perfected my bug/dust mask design. I reckon it'll be good in winter too as it'll keep the fizzog warm while not steaming my specs up on 05:30 rides to work.

Here's a photo from the day. Can you spot the location?
(Two of the blokes are wearing my bug masks, adjusted for portraiture purposes!)

View attachment 10015

There's no doubt being part of a cycling group improves your cycling skills. Riding in a group is an art. I enjoy my cycling solo though and have never been a formal member but know lots of folk in cycling groups.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
There's no doubt being part of a cycling group improves your cycling skills. Riding in a group is an art. I enjoy my cycling solo though and have never been a formal member but know lots of folk in cycling groups.
Yup, Techy was invited on a ride with the local group last night. Again he thought he wouldn't keep up but he went anyway and had a BALL. There were 7 riders and they did 30-odd miles, with a few stiff hills. (Our county is mainly flat, how polite of it.)

He hadn't cycled in a bigger group before and was highly impressed by the helpful road etiquette. Y'know, taking turns to lead, keeping the speed to 'sociable' rather than 'club' pace and so on. He came home feeling highly inspired! I don't think I've ever seen him grin so widely.

There are group rides most nights so he'll probably be checking those out over the summer. I don't mind, he needs to be out there getting fitter and enjoying it. We'll still be doing our seaside and country rides.

He wishes he'd taken it up years ago now! I've always cycled and knew he wanted to do it too but for some reason he thought it was beyond him, because apparently my super-fitness was intimidating. Yeah, 'cos I'm Chris Froome. :D

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Yup, Techy was invited on a ride with the local group last night. Again he thought he wouldn't keep up but he went anyway and had a BALL. There were 7 riders and they did 30-odd miles, with a few stiff hills. (Our county is mainly flat, how polite of it.)

He hadn't cycled in a bigger group before and was highly impressed by the helpful road etiquette. Y'know, taking turns to lead, keeping the speed to 'sociable' rather than 'club' pace and so on. He came home feeling highly inspired! I don't think I've ever seen him grin so widely.

There are group rides most nights so he'll probably be checking those out over the summer. I don't mind, he needs to be out there getting fitter and enjoying it. We'll still be doing our seaside and country rides.

He wishes he'd taken it up years ago now! I've always cycled and knew he wanted to do it too but for some reason he thought it was beyond him, because apparently my super-fitness was intimidating. Yeah, 'cos I'm Chris Froome. :D
Yeah I normally hook up with groups if I want to participate in a very occasional race or just to show my support, (rallies or memorial rides). Roadies do get hung up on stuff and it's very cliquey, (down to bikes, gear and bike shops), and being deaf when cycling I'm normally shouting "what?" so I'm conscious I don't make the best company.

I'm a feral and always have been, I know of one other feral in my region and we occasionally bump into each other. He is an extreme cyclist as well and like me will cycle and is experienced in any weather. Most of the winter stuff I ride the roadies won't leave their indoor statics for.

Me and the other feral communicate in grunts after deciding not to kill each other. Mind you I've not seen him for about two years which is odd.I normally see him once a year.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I feel that Techy needs to be in a group to take things further. He's well up on equipment/stats etc and can hold his own in discussions, whereas I'm more of a 'just get on the bike and pedal' type. I'm not bothered about getting cold or wet and being lost is just delightful. Is that feral?

Ghost In The Machine

Abominable Snowman
I feel that Techy needs to be in a group to take things further. He's well up on equipment/stats etc and can hold his own in discussions, whereas I'm more of a 'just get on the bike and pedal' type. I'm not bothered about getting cold or wet and being lost is just delightful. Is that feral?
No. That's normal.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Today we hit north Wales again. Train to Bangor, biked across the Menai bridge to Anglesey, then back across the other bridge to Caernarvon.

We then went over the Caernarvon swing bridge (which we saw open!) for a spin along the coast.

Back to Bangor for a curry then train home. Out for about 13 hours, nearly 40 miles. Great fun!

Attachments

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
So... Lancaster, Morecambe, Silverdale. Some stuff climbs.
Here's Techy on the beach at Silverdale on Morecambe Bay, where the sea disappears completely then pops back and drowns you.

Must admit to a deep urge to trek across there. Would probably drown though. You can do it safely with a guide.

Attachments

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Where're everyone else's smug cycling photos?

We only take a couple of snaps when we're out. Too busy biking/getting lost/eating/drinking/admiring the view/squabbling over who nicked the last energy bar.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
We've had a few days off so did some cycle touring. Two days in the Lakes and two in North Wales will sort the wheat from the chaff!

As I do like to be beside the seaside I cleverly wangle the rides to include some coastal exposure. On Saturday I saw a YouTube video of severe tidal flooding in Grange over Sands so next day we went there to visit the locations, and were not disappointed. Stunning.
We arrived there by bike via Oxenholme. I set the tone by falling straight off the train.

In Wales we met some nice Dutch touring cyclists who had a chain problem so of course Techy weighed in and helped them. They stripped out all the cogs and gave a big cheer when the chain was finally free!

aaaa Dutch cyclits.jpg

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Where're everyone else's smug cycling photos?
Here's the smuggest one I can find on short notice. It's me, having just returned from a 55-mile ride to celebrate my 55th birthday:

The lovely bike, regrettably, was the one ruined in my RTA in November.

maximus otter

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Get rid of those toe clips they are lethal. They have a high incidence of catching and twisting the foot making it impossible to remove your foot.

Either go clipless, (a lot safer than people think), or just use a flat pedals.