Cycling

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Get rid of those toe clips they are lethal.
No: little old ladies who can't see strobes and hi-viz clothing are lethal. ;)

I'm too old, too fragile and too 'fraidy to start wearing clipless.

I'm waiting for the looks I get from the shop staff if/when I buy my new Trek and ask for clips...

maximus otter

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
No: little old ladies who can't see strobes and hi-viz clothing are lethal. ;)

I'm too old, too fragile and too 'fraidy to start wearing clipless.

I'm waiting for the looks I get from the shop staff if/when I buy my new Trek and ask for clips...

maximus otter

It's not an issue about being sneered at by roadies, (you will be sneered at though), it's purely safety with toe clips.

The trouble with them from personal experience is you have to have them loose enough so you can get your foot out during an emergency stop which sort of negates the supposed benefit of them. They also put strain on the top of your foot which long term and anything over 20 miles isn't good for you.

I got my foot stuck in them a few times before I ditched them - quite alarming. I replaced them with a molded plastic toe clip that got caught under the pedal on a rock that sent me and the bike over in a cartwheel. I never tried them again as the impact snapped one of clips anyway.

I went clipless and flat pedal only after that.

I understand your fear of clipless but you only ever fall off once and that's usually quite gentle to one side. My wife who studied clumsiness at university mastered them pretty quickly.

I run clipless on my road and mountain bikes and flat pedals on my commute bike without a toe clip. Currently due to knee problems I'm only using my flat pedals and commuter bike and just pootling about 10 to 15 miles a week.

Apart from Bike-shaped objects, (really cheap bikes), toe clips and straps for me are the most dangerous bike/cycling accessory you can have.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
If you clamp your feet down so hard you can't rip them out in an emergency then you are going to have problems. I never had any bother with mine. I have half and half pedals on my main bike but I almost never use the clippy side for commuting. Way too awkward and annoying and downright dangerous if you can't get your foot out in time. They are fine if you're out pedaling round the countryside though.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Yesterday I was back at work after 4 out of the previous 5 days out in the sun for 10 hours or more at a time. So there was a bit of sunstroke and I was glad to get home and have an early night. Same for Techy, he was knackered too. All very healthy.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
If you clamp your feet down so hard you can't rip them out in an emergency then you are going to have problems. I never had any bother with mine. I have half and half pedals on my main bike but I almost never use the clippy side for commuting. Way too awkward and annoying and downright dangerous if you can't get your foot out in time. They are fine if you're out pedaling round the countryside though.

I'm ok with with those flat pedals with cleats I think they are great. Just loosen the pedal slightly you should be able to bail with the slightest flick of the ankle on a commuter.

Road bikes different when you need to keep your foot in one place.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
We have those for winter rides! Do you make coffee with hot milk so it stays warm longer? Biscuits?
I don't take milk but I always heat the flask up with some of the boiled water before I add the coffee. No biscuits as they fall apart and line the bottom of my pannier but a couple of lovely homemade banana muffins are perfect.:nods:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I don't take milk but I always heat the flask up with some of the boiled water before I add the coffee. No biscuits as they fall apart and line the bottom of my pannier but a couple of lovely homemade banana muffins are perfect.:nods:
I make teh milkeh coffeh and take biscuits or even cut-price sarnies from Tesco for winter picnics.
We used to go out in the freezing cold to the next town and cuddle on a bench beside the river.

Used to. Are you listening, Techy?

Last edited:

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Here's my bike which I've just got back after 10 weeks rebuilding/respraying. I got it cheap a few years ago - the frame was a bit rusty. The frame's had a new top tube, repaint, & pretty much new everything else. In retrospect I wish I'd got it done the lighter blue all over but that's a minor quibble.

I was having doubts as to whether it was worth getting it all done or junking & it getting another, but having got it back, I'm really glad I did - it's a fantastic ride & quite swift. The bike techs have done a great set up. Steel, not carbon fibre, but still fairly light & very responsive. Well chuffed with it.

upload_2018-6-20_17-13-20.png

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Techy overhauled his Facebook page, filling it with photos of us cycling and having wholesome outdoor fun. His work colleagues are full of awe and admiration. None of them is tempted though.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
We spent our long weekend off work on t'mokes.

Saturday - Crosby and Southport.
Sunday - Stoke to Cheddleton on the Caldon Canal. Saw trains.
Today - Biked Oxenholme to Windermere/Bowness. Beer/cider.

Not many actual miles cycled - scored rather than hundreds - but loads of fun!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Today we popped to Bangor to try the Ogwen Trail.

The weather up there was drizzly. Techy, having studied the forecast, averred that the rain would pass and indeed would soon be kindly watering our thirsty garden in Cheshire.

Instead the rain got heavier and we were soaked. So instead of continuing after the end of the ride and maybe weighing up the famous Zipwire a mile up the road, we rolled back to Bangor - downhill all the way - and jumped a couple of trains back home.

We'd expected to have a picnic lunch and maybe a Chinese later but instead we're on the sofa eating the sarnies we took with us. OK, not the greatest cycling day but still a laugh!