Cycling

Scary road conditions there! Lucky that there were no cars about.
I suspect most locals would have shut the door and put the kettle on, rather than drive in those conditions; you'd have had your work cut out getting up that hill in a tank. And fortunately there's very little non-local traffic.

(I think it's that very hill that I was walking up one very misty day when an unexpected alpaca suddenly reared up the other side of a wall from me. Most disconcerting when it's not something you expect to see - like finding a lobster in your toolbox.)

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
We're used to pretty savage weather around here, but last Saturday we had freezing rain the like of which I don't think I've quite seen before: the droplets were virtually invisible - you could walk through it and not necessarily even realise it was raining - and they froze almost instantaneously upon contact but without leaving any visual indicators.

Anyway evidence of the aftermath has been uploaded to the Peak Distict MTB page. This is on the approach to Flash - which has a claim to being the highest village in Britain (contested by another in Cumbria and one in Galloway - but, whatever, it's up there somewhere.)

I've been up that hill many times myself - but never in conditions quite like that. (As a hopeless giggler the second half - with the two guys at the rear slowly disappearing down the hill - would have had me helpless for about half an hour.)
Black ice is totally evil, esp. when it's coating everything to a glass smooth finish. :O

You're very brave to keep going.

Sh*t like that is why I wear knee and elbow pads these days if I go out of town.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Black ice is totally evil, esp. when it's coating everything to a glass smooth finish. :O

You're very brave to keep going.

Sh*t like that is why I wear knee and elbow pads these days if I go out of town.
I used to know a chap in Burton on Trent, nice enough fella but sadly he was a heroin addict. His wife phoned me one day because he'd come of his mountain bike on some black ice and broken his leg. She asked me to go to the hospital with her to see him and the daft sod had decided not to tell the nurses etc that he was an addict so we did and they were able to keep him on opiates to stave off his withdrawal until he was sent back home.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Yesterday we went for a nice 30-odd mile tootle around our pleasantly flat county, stopping to drink coffee, eat cakes, watch planes take off and land, admire views and generally enjoy the lovely unseasonal weather.

My current bike's just a little too high for me so when I stopped on a camber and tried to put my foot down I missed the ground and fell off.

People kindly came running to untangle me from t'moke and help me up. No injuries apart from a grazed elbow and a suspicion that I may be a twit.

It happened outside a shop. I went in and told the staff they'd missed the fun, and they laughed and rushed off to look at the CCTV, the swines!

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Yesterday we went for a nice 30-odd mile tootle around our pleasantly flat county, stopping to drink coffee, eat cakes, watch planes take off and land, admire views and generally enjoy the lovely unseasonal weather.

My current bike's just a little too high for me so when I stopped on a camber and tried to put my foot down I missed the ground and fell off.

People kindly came running to untangle me from t'moke and help me up. No injuries apart from a grazed elbow and a suspicion that I may be a twit.

It happened outside a shop. I went in and told the staff they'd missed the fun, and they laughed and rushed off to look at the CCTV, the swines!
I've come off that way before a couple of times, usually if I'm on a road that slopes in both directions and I put my leg down automatically on the high side.

Did it once after I stopped after a junction and my front wheel just went onto a bodged repair in the tarmac that came to a small but quite high bulge, didn't click straight away that made me just high enough that my foot wouldn't go down, by which point I was past my centre of gravity and straight over.

hunck

Justified & Ancient

D'you mean the actual frame is a little too big, rather than just the saddle being too high? You'd be better off with a slightly smaller frame then raise the saddle - you'd get more leverage on the cranks/pedals.

Those ridiculous avoidable accidents are annoying - years ago in cold weather I was experiencing runny nose syndrome as I always do & decided to blow my nose whilst cycling along & took my hands off the bars only to promptly hit a lump in the road, the front wheel went sideways & off I came. Really hurt myself. I don't do that anymore.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
D'you mean the actual frame is a little too big, rather than just the saddle being too high? You'd be better off with a slightly smaller frame then raise the saddle - you'd get more leverage on the cranks/pedals.
It's an electric bike and the seat is as low as we can get it. I can reach the ground but I prefer to stop where there's a kerb rather than just concrete!

Falling off isn't as much fun as staying on, that's for sure.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
It's an electric bike and the seat is as low as we can get it. I can reach the ground but I prefer to stop where there's a kerb rather than just concrete!

Falling off isn't as much fun as staying on, that's for sure.
Give us a pic of it - with or without you on it at your discretion. How far will it go on a charge & does it work as a 'manual' bike if the battery runs out? I'm not up to speed with this new fangle-dangle stuff.

Seems to have done 30 miles no problem..

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Popped to the Marina cafe yesterday and snapped this witty boat.

(Notice the driver looking straight ahead. You can take whatever pictures you like there as the boats are going under a bridge into a lock so the drivers are concentrating on that and you don't interrupt them to ask permission!

They don't notice anyone on the bank anyway and are proud of their boats and wouldn't mind.)

duck boat.jpg

Last edited:

Rahere

Junior Acolyte
I live in North London. The theme song from MASH applies.
I used to cycle in South London. A lot. I even used to venture a fairish distance into the North (almost anywhere within the North Circular), so I knew it well enough in the 1980s. Then I moved to Belgium for 20 years. They know how to design cycle lanes. In 2011 I returned to a North London where only a suicidal would cycle, so they started adding cycle lanes, not so much for cyclists as to narrow the roads so drivers would be forced to slow to the speed of the slowest. The cycle lanes are designed for kiddies on bikes, not serious cycling, and having reduced the roads to a single lane, you can't really "take the lane", because you're taking the entire road, even on major arterial routes.
The kind of thing that happens on the cycle lanes is a bus shelter was by the side of the road. The inner lane has become the cycle lane, so Granny Tompkins sees the bus coming but doesn't see the bike. To make life easier for Granny, the pavement has been extended to the side of the old central lane. So there's buggins, cycling along on the smooth, when suddenly there's something rather too close to a kerb for comfort in front of you, you've no sooner negotiated that than suddenly you're on the lost tribe of schoolkids joshing around on the pavement, and then Granny does her ninja bit just beyond them.
Net result is nobody cycles, because the Council has got it seriously wrong, through ignorance, because none of the designers cycles either.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Rode along the North Wales coast yesterday, Prestatyn to Conwy. It's about 30 miles which is normally easy BUT this was in the teeth of a strong wind which slowed us down a tad.

Behold Techy's knees at Lllandudno West beach and me with the telescope on Conwy Quay.

The kitesurfers were having a whale of a time. Could watch them all day.

Me Conwy 1.jpg Techy Lllandudno 2.jpg

Always wear protection when.. er cycling.

A model lies suggestively on a bed wearing little more than knickers - and a cycle helmet.

It is an attempt by the German transport ministry to get younger cyclists to embrace head protection. But the video - what the Transport Minister Andreas Scheuer thinks is a hip way of getting the message across - has run into protest.

"Embarrassing, stupid and sexist," said a senior female politician, two days before the campaign launch.

The campaign uses an English slogan, acknowledging that a cycle helmet may be unflattering "but saves my life". Aside from the video, street posters are due to go up throughout Germany from Tuesday. The campaign features Alicija, a hopeful in Germany's Next Top Model, as well as a range of male models.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47684746?ocid=socialflow_twitter

hunck

Justified & Ancient
I live in North London. The theme song from MASH applies.
I used to cycle in South London. A lot. I even used to venture a fairish distance into the North (almost anywhere within the North Circular), so I knew it well enough in the 1980s. Then I moved to Belgium for 20 years. They know how to design cycle lanes. In 2011 I returned to a North London where only a suicidal would cycle, so they started adding cycle lanes, not so much for cyclists as to narrow the roads so drivers would be forced to slow to the speed of the slowest. The cycle lanes are designed for kiddies on bikes, not serious cycling, and having reduced the roads to a single lane, you can't really "take the lane", because you're taking the entire road, even on major arterial routes.
The kind of thing that happens on the cycle lanes is a bus shelter was by the side of the road. The inner lane has become the cycle lane, so Granny Tompkins sees the bus coming but doesn't see the bike. To make life easier for Granny, the pavement has been extended to the side of the old central lane. So there's buggins, cycling along on the smooth, when suddenly there's something rather too close to a kerb for comfort in front of you, you've no sooner negotiated that than suddenly you're on the lost tribe of schoolkids joshing around on the pavement, and then Granny does her ninja bit just beyond them.
Net result is nobody cycles, because the Council has got it seriously wrong, through ignorance, because none of the designers cycles either.
I live in N. London as well. You're quite wrong to say "net result is nobody cycles" & "only a suicidal would cycle". There's been a big increase in cycling in my time commuting to the centre. Some are fine weather only, summertime cyclists, but a good proportion are year-round.

I agree that some cycle lanes aren't too clever but that doesn't put off the determined.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Give us a pic of it - with or without you on it at your discretion. How far will it go on a charge & does it work as a 'manual' bike if the battery runs out? I'm not up to speed with this new fangle-dangle stuff.

Seems to have done 30 miles no problem..
It's a Merida Espresso Sport. The above picture of Techy shows it.

I use it mainly in 'Eco' mode which is the lowest level of assistance, and up it to 'Normal' or 'High' for steep hills.
Yesterday was very windy so it worked harder than usual but it still had over 40% battery power after 30 miles.

You can use it with no battery power or switch to 'Manual' but it's a bit heavier than a normal bike.

Last edited:

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
I amble around Glasgow on my trike :) there's a decent network of cyclepaths, including easy access to the long distance ones from where I stay. Two options to get into town on ones well away from roads. We do have the weird ones but the network is good from my point of view.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
I agree that some cycle lanes aren't too clever but that doesn't put off the determined.
Funnily enough I've been having a hard time with the cycle route to Bradford where I'm working at the moment, having the lane segregated but with roads cutting across it stops you taking the lane or really doing much to mitigate against some div doing an overtake left turn into you.

Worth sacking off some parts of it completely and just using the road.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Funnily enough I've been having a hard time with the cycle route to Bradford where I'm working at the moment, having the lane segregated but with roads cutting across it stops you taking the lane or really doing much to mitigate against some div doing an overtake left turn into you.

Worth sacking off some parts of it completely and just using the road.
Yup, my route to & from work is mainly a long cycle path which is interrupted by side streets. I have to go round a corner to cross on the dropped kerb, where I can't see traffic about to turn in front of me. So I'm stopping every couple of minutes to look behind me. It's less trouble to stay on the road where the drivers can see me.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Yup, my route to & from work is mainly a long cycle path which is interrupted by side streets. I have to go round a corner to cross on the dropped kerb, where I can't see traffic about to turn in front of me. So I'm stopping every couple of minutes to look behind me. It's less trouble to stay on the road where the drivers can see me.
Whichever idiot designed the route in Bradford seemed to like putting both cycle lanes on one side of the road, quite a long one going down Barkerend that I ignore on my way in as I'd have to cross the road once to get onto it, then 3 more times as it takes me the 'wrong way' around the outside of a roundabout then a 4th time to get back onto the left for my turn off.

Safer and quicker just to whizz straight down. The risk is all in using the cyclepath coming the other way. Then I sack off the cyclepath again at Thornbury 'triangle' as it's less trouble to be naughty and cycle maybe 100m along one side than to follow the cycle path around the other two sides of it and hit a bunch of lights.

Dunno who they get to come up with these plans but they clearly don't cycle.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
It's a Merida Espresso Sport. The above picture of Techy shows it.

I use it mainly in 'Eco' mode which is the lowest level of assistance, and up it to 'Normal' or 'High' for steep hills.
Yesterday was very windy so it worked harder than usual but it still had over 40% battery power after 30 miles.

You can use it with no battery power or switch to 'Manual' but it's a bit heavier than a normal bike.
How tall are you Scarg? If the bike frame is too big you could try moving the seat forward, lowering the bars or fit a shorter stem. Find out a good local bike shop, (the one the roadies recommend), and see if they can fit the bike to you.

It's worth the hassle as you'll end up knackering your joints otherwise.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
I've also done around 40 miles on mine and I reckon it could have done another 20 or so. That was a normal day with only a couple of steep hills thrown in. That was keeping it on the lowest setting.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
I've also done around 40 miles on mine and I reckon it could have done another 20 or so. That was a normal day with only a couple of steep hills thrown in. That was keeping it on the lowest setting.
Never got a great handle of the range on mine as I'm mainly using it to commute and Leeds and surrounding areas is very hills. Could get to Harrogate ok if I went with medium setting for most of the 15 mile run with a bit of high on some of the steeper hills and towards the end, still a hell of a commute.

Just leave it on high for my commute to Bradford, it's uphill all the way out past Pudsey and very steep early on, it's quite enough exercise before I've even got started for the day!

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Raleigh Strada, not looking it's best here as I take the battery and seat inside with me at work, not the best area of Bradford so I've really gone for it on security:

Could probably get better range by swapping out the mountain bike type tyres, that said, they've done me grand considering the state of some of the roads here and esp. once you get out of the city.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Raleigh Strada, not looking it's best here as I take the battery and seat inside with me at work, not the best area of Bradford so I've really gone for it on security:

Could probably get better range by swapping out the mountain bike type tyres, that said, they've done me grand considering the state of some of the roads here and esp. once you get out of the city.
Get similar width slick tyres and you'll get better performance. Unless you're riding off road or on gravel, something like Schwalbe's Durano E will give you more range and similar comfort. Ideally you want a slick central strip for maximum grip, with tread on the shoulders/side for riding on tracks/towpaths etc. Although people think deep treads/sipes offer more grip, smooth tyres are actually the grippiest, and unlike with F1 cars you'll never aquaplane unless you hit F1-like speeds! (This comes from a man who fell off his bike yesterday...)

Worth taking the battery and saddle off. I usually make do with two locks, one small but very tough 'Hiplok' shackle lock to lock to the stand, and a cable for the wheels. You're really not taking any chances! At home we have two locked bike sheds not visible from the street, and they're behind an 8ft stone wall and 6ft wooden gate. At work we've got a locked cage inside the car park at work which itself requires card entry to open the door, and I think there are security cameras.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
How tall are you Scarg? If the bike frame is too big you could try moving the seat forward, lowering the bars or fit a shorter stem. Find out a good local bike shop, (the one the roadies recommend), and see if they can fit the bike to you.

It's worth the hassle as you'll end up knackering your joints otherwise.
Bit of a tip for Carla, you might want to get knee pads if you don't have already, your battery is in the same position as mine and I'm pretty sure it brings you down a lot harder than otherwise esp. in the knee area.