Cycling

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Get similar width slick tyres and you'll get better performance. Unless you're riding off road or on gravel, something like Schwalbe's Durano E will give you more range and similar comfort. Ideally you want a slick central strip for maximum grip, with tread on the shoulders/side for riding on tracks/towpaths etc. Although people think deep treads/sipes offer more grip, smooth tyres are actually the grippiest, and unlike with F1 cars you'll never aquaplane unless you hit F1-like speeds! (This comes from a man who fell off his bike yesterday...)

Worth taking the battery and saddle off. I usually make do with two locks, one small but very tough 'Hiplok' shackle lock to lock to the stand, and a cable for the wheels. You're really not taking any chances! At home we have two locked bike sheds not visible from the street, and they're behind an 8ft stone wall and 6ft wooden gate. At work we've got a locked cage inside the car park at work which itself requires card entry to open the door, and I think there are security cameras.
I'll definitely get better tyres once these wear out, no pressing need for now though unless I end up again on a commute that's that marginal against the range of the bike.

Normal security is just the Kryptonite New York plus a cable for the wheels, bike rack at work though is in view of the street and with an entrance a few yards away and I keep getting warned how dodgy that bit of Bradford is. Peace of mind as much as anything else.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
This was a great bit of excitement from my commute this morning! Link in the yoochube video description if you want to know who's in the van.

Used to see that sort of security complete with added helicopter and the police were very conspicuously armed when I lived near the Bank of England printing works. It was also where they destroyed old notes.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Raleigh Strada, not looking it's best here as I take the battery and seat inside with me at work, not the best area of Bradford so I've really gone for it on security:

Could probably get better range by swapping out the mountain bike type tyres, that said, they've done me grand considering the state of some of the roads here and esp. once you get out of the city.
You're taking no chances with security! Can't say I blame you, trouble is those U locks are heavy to lug around. I've got one & that's bad enough..

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
(Motorbikes) our current Ducatis have both steering lock and imobiliser built in. One of our local PCSOs is also into motobikes and he came round to warn us that "people" knew we had them and that they were desirable items. There are layers of security around them at home (nothing will stop a determined thief of course) but to make ourselves feel better we've adopted his own practice of locking a U lock (as above!) onto the back while while parked out.

Mostly does nothing, it's just..... there. But if you don't know what you're looking at then the bike appears to be much more defended than it is without the U lock. :)

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
First significant ride of 2019, a 15-mile round trip to the nature reserve just outside Prettytown. With, of course, a lunch stop en route:

My venerable Dawes Super Galaxy tourer.

What it's all about!

How I felt about it.

Happy days.

maximus otter
Nice bike, hope you had a good trip. Must put my road bike back together...

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
You're taking no chances with security! Can't say I blame you, trouble is those U locks are heavy to lug around. I've got one & that's bad enough..
I leave two of them at any time attached to the rack as I'm there every day and don't need to leave my bike anywhere else insecure through the week so no point in carrying them really.

Bring the larger D lock home for the weekend for local use, not too bad carrying that by itself.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
So this is what happens when you use the cyclepath through Pudsey - leaves you hugely vulnerable to anyone who just decides to left turn across you:

And this is what happens when you stay safer in lane:

There's probably a shorter cut I can suss out that sacks off that section entirely.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
(Motorbikes) our current Ducatis have both steering lock and imobiliser built in. One of our local PCSOs is also into motobikes and he came round to warn us that "people" knew we had them and that they were desirable items. There are layers of security around them at home (nothing will stop a determined thief of course) but to make ourselves feel better we've adopted his own practice of locking a U lock (as above!) onto the back while while parked out.

Mostly does nothing, it's just..... there. But if you don't know what you're looking at then the bike appears to be much more defended than it is without the U lock. :)
Both of the wheels on my bike have quick releases so I always secure them with something, just handy in this arrangement that I could get both of the wheel locks around the rack and frame as well.

Surely a D lock on the back motorbike wheel would make it a lot harder to ride off if they defeated the rest of the security?

Know that around here the buggers will just whip it onto the back of a van if it isn't also attached to some sturdy infrastructure object.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
twat seems quite mild!
Try this one then, which was the day before and the only time I've ever been knocked off.

She's caught me out there creeping towards the curb ahead of the turn, standard of driving in Bradford is exceptionally piss poor even by Leeds standards which aren't great. I always stay in lane now on any sections where I'm vulnerable, at least if I piss drivers off it means they've seen me,

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Nice - old school. Reynolds 531 tubing?
You can certainly see the Reynolds sticker on the down-tube and I think the top of the right fork. I think it's the model with 531 ST (Super Tourist) dating from around the early 1990s. At the time I believe they were still made in Tyseley, Birmingham. They're now made in the Far East. I have the feeling, though I might be confusing them with another brand, that they made some of their frames in Romania for a while.

My first 'proper' bike was a 1984 531-framed Raleigh Clubman with Suntour ARX gears, down-tube friction shifters of course. 'Braking' came courtesy of Weinmann centre-pulls. I had cantilever fittings brazed on in 1996 before a 2750-mile ride down the east coast of Australia.

I gave it away last year to Julian House, a charity that trains teenagers/young people to repair bikes; it had been sitting boxed up for years. I did 30-odd thousand miles on it, I have the memories and photographs and while I could have sold it for £100+ or so, I thought this was a better cause. But I am selling my c2000 Cinelli Unica, which I've been offered £200 for - looks great, has 9-speed Campagnolo Mirage and all original components save for the tyres and one quick-release lever – the striking-looking and super-stiff Cinelli Alter stem is very collectable.

This leaves me with a 2010 Rose Pro SL with 10-speed SRAM Force and a 2018 Giant TCR with 11-speed Shimano 105. Compared with most of my colleagues this is a very modest collection. That said, thanks to my job, I get to ride some beautiful bikes, most recently an Enigma Etape that's a thing of beauty and a wonderful ride...

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Nice - old school. Reynolds 531 tubing?
l believe so.

l bought it in the mid-90s. l can’t claim to have done spaceship miles on it, but apart from a lot of routine local stuff it’s given me a great week or so in north Norfolk, and a delightful tour of the length of the Outer Hebrides.

maximus otter

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
l believe so.

l bought it in the mid-90s. l can’t claim to have done spaceship miles on it, but apart from a lot of routine local stuff it’s given me a great week or so in north Norfolk, and a delightful tour of the length of the Outer Hebrides.

maximus otter
Keep on riding, Maximus, keep on riding! I celebrated my graduation from UEA Norwich in 1985 by skinny-dipping in the sea in Sheringham. It was flippin' cold! I think I've just about recovered now...

Norfolk's great, cycling's great and Lucy Liu is great, but that's not really relevant to this!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Funnily enough i was just reading this thread on Twitter which starts with a cyclist getting knocked down my a car on the wrong side of the road due to cutting the corner when I thought of you.

Ha ha, yes, drivers who cut corners are the scum of the Earth as far as I am concerned.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Any idea who it was?
yeah, apparently these buggers

Telegraph & Argus

Grant, 39, of Queens Road, Bradford, and Mohammed Nisar Khan, known as Meggy, 41, of Holme Lane, Tong, Bradford deny murdering Mr Iqbal and attempting to murder Mr Ahmed.
There seems to be some sort of organised crime slant to it, rumours at work are that the guy they killed had friends who are out for revenge.