Cycling

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Gorgon Rutter,

I aimed a blanket attack on all cyclist as I find them to be committed to the idea that they are generally a superior life form and beyond the reach of the law.

We hear people who should really know better saying the world will be a better place if only people would get on their bikes and out of their cars. Oh Yes, well try that when it comes to winter and the weather is atrocious. Or you need to go shopping.

Now the roads are infested with lycra clad people on bikes that for some reason can cost as much as a family car. Charging along at speeds they can't stop from if something appears in front of them.

And what is the average bike used for in the average working class town ? Drug running.

INT21.
Good grief. Not this old bollocks again.

You have of course done a comprehensive survey of people who cycle to arrive at this blanket opinion. Those who ride a bike because

it's enjoyable exercise

it's often quicker than public transport

it's cheaper - once you've bought the bike it's essentially free, with occasional maintenance

can just be dismissed.

If I said to you that all motorists speed, jump red lights, drive dangerously, talk on their phones & they're all bastards who think they can ignore the law because I'd seen some do it, what would your reaction be?

Give it a rest.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Good grief. Not this old bollocks again.

You have of course done a comprehensive survey of people who cycle to arrive at this blanket opinion. Those who ride a bike because

it's enjoyable exercise

it's often quicker than public transport

it's cheaper - once you've bought the bike it's essentially free, with occasional maintenance

can just be dismissed.

If I said to you that all motorists speed, jump red lights, drive dangerously, talk on their phones & they're all bastards who think they can ignore the law because I'd seen some do it, what would your reaction be?

Give it a rest.
If anyone starts spouting this crap in person to me (bearing in kind that they won't do it when I'm dressed like a cyclist!) I smile and say 'Oh right, what training do YOU do? Running? Are you in a club? Not running, weights then? What can you 'press? I love the bench, me! Not weights... Swimming? Do you swim? Very good for the upper body and lungs...' and on for a bit until they tell me how much they hate all that exercise rubbish. This always happens before I run out of events and get to Tetris or tiddleywinks.

Sie

Fresh Blood
I've just managed to fall off my bike on my way home from work, so am posting here in a bid for sympathy. Nothing particularly fortean about it....I'm afraid, I just put my foot down wrong, overbalanced and gravity did the rest. Wish I was the poster who has a supply of germolene in his first-aid kit ...:grumpy:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I've just managed to fall off my bike on my way home from work, so am posting here in a bid for sympathy. Nothing particularly fortean about it....I'm afraid, I just put my foot down wrong, overbalanced and gravity did the rest. Wish I was the poster who has a supply of germolene in his first-aid kit ...:grumpy:
I hope you only bruised your pride and nothing else!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Did that 'putting the foot down and missing the ground' bit a few weeks ago. Wasn't even moving, had already stopped. It was like TIMBERRRRR and THUD.

It was at a petrol station so several drivers rushed over to stand me back up. Kind people!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Anyway how are you? Nothing too painful, I hope.

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
If anyone starts spouting this crap in person to me (bearing in kind that they won't do it when I'm dressed like a cyclist!) I smile and say 'Oh right, what training do YOU do? Running? Are you in a club? Not running, weights then? What can you 'press? I love the bench, me! Not weights... Swimming? Do you swim? Very good for the upper body and lungs...' and on for a bit until they tell me how much they hate all that exercise rubbish. This always happens before I run out of events and get to Tetris or tiddleywinks.
I’m proud to say I walk past at least FIVE gyms on the way to the pub after work!

Schrodinger's Zebra

Eight pounds ten in the biscuit tin
:group: hope it's nothing too serious. Get yourself better soon.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Gravity's a hard-arsed unforgiving bastard - done me a couple of times, helped variously by an oily patch and black ice. Personally, I blame Isaac Newton - it was fine till he came along, the galumphing apple-thwacked alchemist. (Sorry, I am very, very tired. Good luck with the recovery from the fall. They happen. Unfortunately.)

Gravity's a hard-arsed unforgiving bastard - done me a couple of times, helped variously by an oily patch and black ice. Personally, I blame Isaac Newton - it was fine till he came along, the galumphing apple-thwacked alchemist. (Sorry, I am very, very tired. Good luck with the recovery from the fall. They happen. Unfortunately.)
Satan dropped that apple on Newton's head.

Sie

Fresh Blood
Aww, thank you all. I have a bruise and a couple of scrapes and as GNC correctly diagnosed a small dent in my ego but I'm OK. Thanks for the reassurance that it happens even to the best of us, Escargot and Cycleboy. I cycle to work most days so will be back in the saddle this morning, paying special attention to feet and gravity. :wide:

Apropos of nothing - I was going through my bookshelves the other day when I came upon this:

IMG_3330.JPG IMG_3343.JPG IMG_3331.JPG

Published in 1895 in Glasgow. Apart from some foxing and a few rust marks around the staples - in really good condition.

But also of historical interest. On the first page is an embossed stamp which indicates the book was sold by WH Smith & Son.

IMG_3331b.jpg

...and, as everyone knows, 1895 was officially the last year that WH Smith wasn't shit.

Last edited:
They were never the same after that Lambeth Poisoner business in '91.
Ah, yes. Had not Dr Cream been shopping at the precise moment an assistant had followed company policy by deliberately mispositioning a two month out of date edition of the Vegetable Poisons Digest in the Household Interests sections, under a pile of The Corset and Cummerbund Examiner, next to a pile of greetings cards depicting interesting scenes from the records of the London Metropolitan Board of Works, and behind a basket selling discounted chocolate left over from the late Anglo-Zulu war - while yet another new manager, hiding from his loud and surly staff behind an enormous pile of newspapers, in an aisle so narrow and cluttered it is impossible even for a dead man to fall over in it, stared blankly at the tip of his woodbine with the appearance of someone whose soul was dripping slowly out of his earhole - then who knows what might not have happened.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
We've had an epic day's riding. Train to Llandudno Junction, tootled across to Conwy for Greek food at the Food Fair or summat, saw gulls stealing meat as it cooked on a barbecue.

Then cycled to Bangor, wandered round a bit, had a pint, strolled on the pier, enjoyed the views.

Train back to Conwy and drinks at the Liverpool Arms, over to the Junction again for the train home.

My back tyre went down at the Arms. Probably too many bottles and cartons of juice and water. Had to send Techy home for my car to stick the bike in to get it home.

Home now with sunburn.

Schrodinger's Zebra

We've had an epic day's riding. Train to Llandudno Junction, tootled across to Conwy for Greek food at the Food Fair or summat, saw gulls stealing meat as it cooked on a barbecue.

Then cycled to Bangor, wandered round a bit, had a pint, strolled on the pier, enjoyed the views.

Train back to Conwy and drinks at the Liverpool Arms, over to the Junction again for the train home.

My back tyre went down at the Arms. Probably too many bottles and cartons of juice and water. Had to send Techy home for my car to stick the bike in to get it home.

Home now with sunburn.

Sounds like a lovely day out :)

I've just had a look at google maps to get a feel for where you were. Crikey that's a long cycle from Conwy to Bangor!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Sounds like a lovely day out :)

I've just had a look at google maps to get a feel for where you were. Crikey that's a long cycle from Conwy to Bangor!
It's not one of our longer rides but it was a bit stiff in yesterday's heat!

The views along there are stunning. It was clear yesterday so we could see Puffin Island and the Penmon Point lighthouse for most of the ride. We've cycled there from Bangor but it would have been too far yesterday.

Well, I was up for it but Techy's blisters weren't.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Clearly I need to use my bell more as some people can't see what's directly in front of them and travelling in the right direction.

Alos, artists impression of a bellend salmon contrubuted by leeds cycling network:

Schrodinger's Zebra

Permission to join the cycling thread please? :salute:

Mr Zebra and I have been trying to get fitter and recently dug out our bikes from the garage (its been absolutely years since we've done any cycling). Problem was, I found that due to my disability, I can no longer ride my bike as I don't have the balance anymore. So... with a bit of help from online secondhand selling sites, we found the solution - a tricycle!

I've been 'having a go' on it just up our road and back, cos it takes a bit of getting used to compared to riding a bicycle (it's surprisingly different). So tonight was our first actual cycle ride for... ooh, probably eight or nine years. We got out of our road and and managed to go up t'other road a bit (until a slight hill that never seemed too bad in the car, became too much for us). I still haven't fully got the hang of it, but I'm definitely improving since my first foray up our road. So only out and about for 10 minutes, but that's 10 minutes more than nothing and it's improved my confidence a bit. Mr Zebra thoroughly enjoyed it.

Wednesday is hopefully going to be our cycle ride night - "bicycling on every Wednesday evening"* and all that :D

So... are we worthy of joining the cycling fraternity?

*Did you get the Queen song reference?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
*Did you get the Queen song reference?
Certainly did. I love Queen.

Yup, go for it! Techy was unfit and unused to cycling but he's now a lean mean bicycling machine.

Well, not all that lean, and I'd never describe him as mean either...

Anyway you're doing great! Build up the mileage as gradually as you need to. It's not the Tour de France. Yet.

If you have a look at the Sustrans site you'll find your nearest offload cycle paths. They are great for tootling along safely.

The crucial thing is to enjoy yourselves. Take a nice drink, maybe a picnic, and find a bench to sit on and hold hands...

Schrodinger's Zebra

Certainly did. I love Queen.

Yup, go for it! Techy was unfit and unused to cycling but he's now a lean mean bicycling machine.

Well, not all that lean, and I'd never describe him as mean either...

Anyway you're doing great! Build up the mileage as gradually as you need to. It's not the Tour de France. Yet.

If you have a look at the Sustrans site you'll find your nearest offload cycle paths. They are great for tootling along safely.

The crucial thing is to enjoy yourselves. Take a nice drink, maybe a picnic, and find a bench to sit on and hold hands...
Thank you :)

According to that Sustrans site you mentioned, the nearest cycle paths are approx. 25 miles away, so not really practicable for us. We'll just have to pootle about on the roads close to home I think.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Thank you :)

According to that Sustrans site you mentioned, the nearest cycle paths are approx. 25 miles away, so not really practicable for us. We'll just have to pootle about on the roads close to home I think.
Well that's a shame. There might be other cycle paths in reach though. You can also cycle in parks these days, which was a summary-execution offence back in the day.