Cycling

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Thank you :)

According to that Sustrans site you mentioned, the nearest cycle paths are approx. 25 miles away, so not really practicable for us. We'll just have to pootle about on the roads close to home I think.
Canal towpaths can be good for safe cycling, don't know if you have any near you, & no hills.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
We were out cycling on a canal towpath a while ago and Techy swore it was a slope. I explained as fully as possible that this was impossible but he wasn't having it. sigh
Men eh?.. Actually they can seem to have a general slight trajectory where hills are involved which makes it seem to be ascending or descending. But the bits between locks are flat otherwise all the water would pile up on the downside.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
Well that's a shame. There might be other cycle paths in reach though. You can also cycle in parks these days, which was a summary-execution offence back in the day.
Way out here in The Back Of Beyond there are definitely no cycle paths within reach.

When you say parks do you mean ones with paths through them? None of them either I'm afraid, I guess we're not that sophisticated round 'ere. The local roads it will have to be. :)

Canal towpaths can be good for safe cycling, don't know if you have any near you, & no hills.
Nope, no canals either. That would be nice though.

I'm beginning to wonder what we do have around here :D

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Dark matter, dark energy, dark flow and now 'dark kitchens'.

What is the world coming to? :O

Deliveroo couriers forced a 'dark kitchen' in Leeds to close on Sunday evening in protest against changes to the way riders are allocated bookings.

Around 20 couriers formed a picket line outside the Deliveroo Editions kitchen at the Scott Hall Mills industrial complex near Meanwood.
Yorkshire Evening Post

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
We go on lots of lovely rides and do miles and miles. Along the way we need refeshment. Cafes are best for this and we know of lots.

They all have different attributes. Is there a cafe that's perfect for cyclists?

Off the top of my head, here's what we like -

- Somewhere safe and well off the road
- A place to leave bikes where we can see them
- A nice view
- Good food and drinks
- Quick service

So some places have awesome food but limited outdoor seating, or little space for bikes.

Today we went to a cafe with plenty of outdoor seating and a wall to lean bikes on but no view and a limited menu.

There's another we like with good seating, a nice view of canal boats and terrific food but the service is crap.

The best cycling cafe we've found is Net's Cafe on the Wirral. It has everything: plenty of seating, lovely views across the Dee, nice food and convenient bike parking.
Second is the Chocks Away Diner at Hawarden Airport near Chester, which has the Beluga landing and taking off! but rubbishy vegetarian food. Tomato soup or a veggie burger, no ta.

One day I will open a cyclists' cafe with a stunning view, plenty of outdoor and under cover seating with bike parking nearby and a team of enthusiastic servers who'll whip up delicious healthy food and luscious cakes.

There will be a big space in front of the cafe between it and the road so customers don't get buzzed by traffic and plenty of hard surface for doing on-the-spot fixes. Maybe even a covered area for that, with bike repair stands and pumps. Like the ones on Crewe Station that are demonstrated on video by moi.

It will be called something with a clever cycling/mollusc-related pun like, I dunno, Shell On Wheels or summat and will have a humorous sign outside. 10% discount for Forteans!

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
I lost my pic with Eric :( it was on an old digital camera which has since vanished.
I had a lovely one of him where his upkicked leg seemed to be launching a rainbow over the bay. Tailor-made caption: "Bring me sunshine." Lost to whichever image hosting service bloggers were using a decade ago.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I lost my pic with Eric :( it was on an old digital camera which has since vanished.
You'll just have to get up there again and take another!

I had a lovely one of him where his upkicked leg seemed to be launching a rainbow over the bay. Tailor-made caption: "Bring me sunshine." Lost to whichever image hosting service bloggers were using a decade ago.
That sounds awesome.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I am off running at the moment due to a sore hip but went for a ride earlier and it was a stunning morning for it. Except I made an unplanned dismount from my bike and landed right on the bad hip. :oops:
Awww, nooo. That's rotten bad luck. Stay in today an' coddle yerself.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
It's a cold day today but I found myself behind a skimpily dressed young woman cycling in skin tight, virtually transparent white shorts through which a thong was plainly visible. She obviously knew the effect. I could've overtaken but found myself somewhat mesmerised by her very shapely arse moving in front of me. Sadly we parted company eventually.

INT21

Antediluvian
It's a cold day today but I found myself behind a skimpily dressed young woman cycling in skin tight, virtually transparent white shorts through which a thong was plainly visible. She obviously knew the effect. I could've overtaken but found myself somewhat mesmerised by her very shapely arse moving in front of me. Sadly we parted company eventually.
You should have passed her and given her the opportunity to admire your manly buttocks.

Could have been the start of a new romance.

'Grandad, how did you meet Nana ?'

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
She obviously knew the effect. I
I dunno though, maybe not. If they were proper cycling shorts they'd have padding and you don't wear pants or even a thong under them as it would rub you summat awful. Also, regular athletic shorts (say, running leggings) stretch beyond the laws of physics if worn in the pedaling position, which someone who's not a regular cyclist might not know.

Anyway... cyclists get it wrong too. Techy went out in some new, quite brief shorts which became practically transparent under strain.
He was attracting admiring wolf whistles as his bum cheeks glinted in cars' headlights.

Hmmm, he thought, could I have actually ordered cycling underwear by mistake?

'twas indeed the case.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
I dunno though, maybe not. If they were proper cycling shorts they'd have padding and you don't wear pants or even a thong under them as it would rub you summat awful. Also, regular athletic shorts (say, running leggings) stretch beyond the laws of physics if worn in the pedaling position, which someone who's not a regular cyclist might not know.

Anyway... cyclists get it wrong too. Techy went out in some new, quite brief shorts which became practically transparent under strain.
He was attracting admiring wolf whistles as his bum cheeks glinted in cars' headlights.

Hmmm, he thought, could I have actually ordered cycling underwear by mistake?

'twas indeed the case.
Definitely not cycling shorts, which are unflattering to even the shapeliest of arses. I suppose they could've been skintight athletic shorts, but virtually transparent?..

There was certainly a degree of stretching involved, as I was able to ascertain on closer view, but if you were a sprinter say, you'd be stretching in the blocks on the start & you wouldn't want them see-through. Distance runners wear looser clothes. Why would an athlete wear shorts which became see-through when stretched?

I reckon there's no way she wouldn't be aware of the effect when she put them on. Whatever the case, she made my ride home memorable. I'm hoping to dream of that arse tonight.

You should have passed her and given her the opportunity to admire your manly buttocks.
My manly buttocks, perfectly formed though they are, are far too old to draw admiration from a young lady.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Replaced my old Contour Roam helmey cam with a Sena Prism Tube Wifi... the Roam is rubbish in low light, this one is great:

For comparison, heres the Contour Roam on the same route through Gotts Park, it's fair to say that you can;t see sh*t!