Cycling

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
She obviously knew the effect. I
I dunno though, maybe not. If they were proper cycling shorts they'd have padding and you don't wear pants or even a thong under them as it would rub you summat awful. Also, regular athletic shorts (say, running leggings) stretch beyond the laws of physics if worn in the pedaling position, which someone who's not a regular cyclist might not know.

Anyway... cyclists get it wrong too. Techy went out in some new, quite brief shorts which became practically transparent under strain.
He was attracting admiring wolf whistles as his bum cheeks glinted in cars' headlights.

Hmmm, he thought, could I have actually ordered cycling underwear by mistake?

'twas indeed the case.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Hey, Escargot.

Hunck wasn't by any chance following you ?

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I dunno though, maybe not. If they were proper cycling shorts they'd have padding and you don't wear pants or even a thong under them as it would rub you summat awful. Also, regular athletic shorts (say, running leggings) stretch beyond the laws of physics if worn in the pedaling position, which someone who's not a regular cyclist might not know.

Anyway... cyclists get it wrong too. Techy went out in some new, quite brief shorts which became practically transparent under strain.
He was attracting admiring wolf whistles as his bum cheeks glinted in cars' headlights.

Hmmm, he thought, could I have actually ordered cycling underwear by mistake?

'twas indeed the case.
Definitely not cycling shorts, which are unflattering to even the shapeliest of arses. I suppose they could've been skintight athletic shorts, but virtually transparent?..

There was certainly a degree of stretching involved, as I was able to ascertain on closer view, but if you were a sprinter say, you'd be stretching in the blocks on the start & you wouldn't want them see-through. Distance runners wear looser clothes. Why would an athlete wear shorts which became see-through when stretched?

I reckon there's no way she wouldn't be aware of the effect when she put them on. Whatever the case, she made my ride home memorable. I'm hoping to dream of that arse tonight.

You should have passed her and given her the opportunity to admire your manly buttocks.
My manly buttocks, perfectly formed though they are, are far too old to draw admiration from a young lady.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Reaction score
Replaced my old Contour Roam helmey cam with a Sena Prism Tube Wifi... the Roam is rubbish in low light, this one is great:

For comparison, heres the Contour Roam on the same route through Gotts Park, it's fair to say that you can;t see sh*t!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Here's a Guardian article about the Bristol Bike Project which is about to be evicted from its premises.

The bit about drug addicts cycling past places where they'd otherwise have stopped and fallen into temptation impressed me greatly. When David Bowie had that problem he uprooted to a different country or even continent. It's all about eye contact.

The Project sounds brilliant, I hope they find somewhere else that's suitable soon.

The bike saved me': cycling project for vulnerable people under threat

The Bristol Bike Project has been repairing abandoned or unwanted bicycles for vulnerable people for 10 years – but now faces an uncertain future
Rather than simply being given a fully repaired machine, “earn-a-bikers” attend a three-hour session to refurbish a donated bike and help carry out final maintenance checks – the idea being that learning to look after a bike is more empowering than simply being given one.

If recipients subsequently encounter issues that are more than they can deal with, they can return to the workshop to carry out any subsequent maintenance as part of the project’s DIT (do it together) ethos. Recovering alcoholic Lee describes it as a “lifetime guarantee”. “This is the only transport that I have,” says Mohammed, an Algerian asylum seeker. “I need it to go to college and improve my English. I can’t get anywhere without it.”

Co-founder Lucas says he often hears people who are struggling with drug addiction say that riding a bike helps them avoid temptation: “They are able to cycle past the places where they would normally stop and get sucked into a world that they don’t want to be in any more. Having a bike is your vehicle for getting out of that place.”

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
As the main use for bikes around here appears to be the delivery of various illegal substances, I should thing the upkeep of the bike is of prime consideration.

No one wants the chain to come off while being chased by a police Alsatian.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
That's certainly what I use mine for. Those illegal substances don't deliver themselves you know.
Never heard of drones then ?

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Around here they would keep the goods and attach a small explosive device to the drone and return it.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Had to happen one day I suppose - today I collided with a pedestrian who stepped into the road without looking. A Japanese girl so close that although I went for the brakes it gave me no way of avoiding.

I went into her back & she went sprawling on the road. She got up & was obviously a bit in shock & had hurt her hand & knee. I was quite angry & let her know. I didn't fall off, managed to get feet off pedals to keep me upright but if I'd had cleats I would've hit the road too. She said she was sorry & rushing to get to school. Could've damaged my bike but think I've got away with it.

Thankfully she didn't seem to hit her head on the road & I thought no major injury had occurred so I rode off. I wasn't very sympathetic.

I'd had a woman similarly step out only 25 yards before on the same road, but was able to avoid her.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Had to happen one day I suppose - today I collided with a pedestrian who stepped into the road without looking. A Japanese girl so close that although I went for the brakes it gave me no way of avoiding.

I went into her back & she went sprawling on the road. She got up & was obviously a bit in shock & had hurt her hand & knee. I was quite angry & let her know. I didn't fall off, managed to get feet off pedals to keep me upright but if I'd had cleats I would've hit the road too. She said she was sorry & rushing to get to school. Could've damaged my bike but think I've got away with it.

Thankfully she didn't seem to hit her head on the road & I thought no major injury had occurred so I rode off. I wasn't very sympathetic.

I'd had a woman similarly step out only 25 yards before on the same road, but was able to avoid her.
Only good luck has saved me from some serious collisions with the gormless pedestrians who step out in front of me without looking. Makes me wonder how they'll manage when electric cars take over.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Reaction score
This is quite unbelievable... I was almost shaking when I got into work shortly afterwards.

The woman has got out of the l/h parker vehicle so she is one of the reasons I've been forced to dismount and then she goes nuts at me.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Reaction score
So it occured to me to google the registration and it turns out I've met the vehicle before in bizarre circumstances... this is starting to look like a hobby of theirs:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
This is quite unbelievable... I was almost shaking when I got into work shortly afterwards.

The woman has got out of the l/h parker vehicle so she is one of the reasons I've been forced to dismount and then she goes nuts at me.

You could try pointing out to the woman that she's parked across a cycle lane. She's probably dense enough that she needs to know why you're angry.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Reaction score
You could try pointing out to the woman that she's parked across a cycle lane. She's probably dense enough that she needs to know why you're angry.
There's very little point trying to reason with someone like that, and from the previous encounter with that vehicle it does look like they might actually get off on blocking the lane then starting stuff.

All of the buggers there park up on the lane and where they're not meant to, they really do not give a f*ck.

I have contacted the school before about this issue generally and they accept that there is a problem, have done so again now speciafically in relation to the 'incest lady'.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Fourteen-year-old boy degloves his penis in cycling accident. Okay, it would have helped if he hadn't been drinking at the time (I don't mean booze) and hadn't been riding one handed, but as a result of an accident the handlebar impaled his scrotum and groin and – yikes! – degloved his penis. This wouldn't have happened if the handlebar had had a grip.

I always make sure that whatever drop-bar bike I'm riding (and I can ride 5-10 different ones a month) has a bar-end plug for that very reason, and every flat-bar bike a full-grip or bar-end plug. I have heard of serious injuries and the Sun reported a fatality in 2018. Even fitting a cork in the end will do the job, otherwise you have what is effectively a hollow punch (I had to look that tool up) that can be travelling at one hell of a speed.

There are links to the BMJ report, which apparently has pictures. I'm not going there...

https://road.cc/content/news/269353...his-bikes-handlebars-freak-crash-doctors-urge

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Reaction score
Fourteen-year-old boy degloves his penis in cycling accident. Okay, it would have helped if he hadn't been drinking at the time (I don't mean booze) and hadn't been riding one handed, but as a result of an accident the handlebar impaled his scrotum and groin and – yikes! – degloved his penis. This wouldn't have happened if the handlebar had had a grip.

I always make sure that whatever drop-bar bike I'm riding (and I can ride 5-10 different ones a month) has a bar-end plug for that very reason, and every flat-bar bike a full-grip or bar-end plug. I have heard of serious injuries and the Sun reported a fatality in 2018. Even fitting a cork in the end will do the job, otherwise you have what is effectively a hollow punch (I had to look that tool up) that can be travelling at one hell of a speed.

There are links to the BMJ report, which apparently has pictures. I'm not going there...

https://road.cc/content/news/269353...his-bikes-handlebars-freak-crash-doctors-urge
Oh, dear gods. In terms of injuries, having appendages degloved holds a peculiar horror for me, second only to losing your bottom jaw. I'm not a medical doctor - can a degloved appendage be, well, regloved?

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
Oh, dear gods. In terms of injuries, having appendages degloved holds a peculiar horror for me, second only to losing your bottom jaw. I'm not a medical doctor - can a degloved appendage be, well, regloved?
Article says "surgeons successfully repaired the wound" so I would assume so. Seems he was rather lucky!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
't'other morning, 07:30 or so, daylight, I was cycling to work when a woman walked out in front of me. She'd stepped from behind a van so we hadn't seen each other. I very nearly hit her, on my sturdy mountain bike, going downhill, all 12 stone or so of me. This would've held me up a little.

Didn't have time to shout or ring the bell so I swerved violently, swore, stayed on and continued on. As I passed I caught a glimpse of her doing the startled Scooby Doo manouevre, which she'd have done sooner if I'd alerted her and we'd both'd been splattered.

tl:dr - Scargy skilfully avoided a crash at speed. :curt:

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Last week whilst driving to collect my daughter from the station I was startled to suddenly see a boy on a bicycle pedalling straight towards me
on my side of the street and had to swerve.
I know that years ago they used to say face the oncoming traffic but with cars parked along the sides of roads these days with drivers having to watch out for pedestrians stepping out from between them it's rather dangerous.
A couple of days later I saw him riding on the footpath so maybe someone had a word to him.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yikes, the last post on this thread is February so time for an update

I don't get put off by a little warm weather – as the thermometer crept up to 30C I saddled up and absolutely blasted it today. By my standards anyway. My Garmin GPS computer lets me know when I break my best time for 40km and in spite of the heat I got a new record today – 40km/25 miles in an hour 42. This is nowhere near my peak of 1:08, achieved during a time trial in the 1990s, but I was younger then! I did have a hanky under my helmet to stop my head burning; there's sadly little hair to prevent burning...

I used to be able to do 10 miles in a fraction over 25 minutes; an average club rider time, the world record is... an unbelievable 16:35 (36.2 mph!!!!). This isn't just tanking it downhill, the start and finish have to be within 300 metres of each other (or summat like that) so they're usually an out-and-back or a loop or taking in both.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I must post this here as well as on the 'Unwhinge' thread -

I fixed Techy's posh Garmin bike computer! :cool:

It bricked last night. He was devastated. However, it was Ride Time so he went it out without it.
Cycling as God intended, with no indication except his own senses of his speed or elevation.

Like this -

boneshaker.jpg

We had the box and receipt. It's 15 months old so I'd have a fight on my hands to get it replaced. (That just means it'd take a little longer. I'm not fobbed off.)

Meantime I looked on cycle forums and found that the Garmins do this. You can reset them by holding the 'on' button down for 15 seconds.
Techy could have found this out himself but he was keen to get going, and it might have been a long fruitless search.

It worked and when Techy arrived home I did the good news/bad news thing. With no bad news!

OK, sounds like no big deal. But it's funny because Techy is an IT manager and should have known what to do right away.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Pleased that cycling is making a comeback. Sad to see them riding MTB's with MTB tires on tarmac. Where are all the old roadsters? - much better bikes for riding on the road.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...-love-with-cycling-lockdown-coronavirus#img-1
Yup, when Techy started cycling he really got into all the technical side, as blokes do, and soon changed my commuting bike's tyres for German dispatch rider ones.

Made a huge difference. I'd been rumbling along on those lumpy bastards for years. The new tyres were like little fluffy clouds.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone using a Garmin to record all their details it looks like they have been hit with a massive Ransomware attack!