Cycling

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Here's a Guardian article about the Bristol Bike Project which is about to be evicted from its premises.

The bit about drug addicts cycling past places where they'd otherwise have stopped and fallen into temptation impressed me greatly. When David Bowie had that problem he uprooted to a different country or even continent. It's all about eye contact.

The Project sounds brilliant, I hope they find somewhere else that's suitable soon.

The bike saved me': cycling project for vulnerable people under threat

The Bristol Bike Project has been repairing abandoned or unwanted bicycles for vulnerable people for 10 years – but now faces an uncertain future
Rather than simply being given a fully repaired machine, “earn-a-bikers” attend a three-hour session to refurbish a donated bike and help carry out final maintenance checks – the idea being that learning to look after a bike is more empowering than simply being given one.

If recipients subsequently encounter issues that are more than they can deal with, they can return to the workshop to carry out any subsequent maintenance as part of the project’s DIT (do it together) ethos. Recovering alcoholic Lee describes it as a “lifetime guarantee”. “This is the only transport that I have,” says Mohammed, an Algerian asylum seeker. “I need it to go to college and improve my English. I can’t get anywhere without it.”

Co-founder Lucas says he often hears people who are struggling with drug addiction say that riding a bike helps them avoid temptation: “They are able to cycle past the places where they would normally stop and get sucked into a world that they don’t want to be in any more. Having a bike is your vehicle for getting out of that place.”

INT21

Antediluvian
As the main use for bikes around here appears to be the delivery of various illegal substances, I should thing the upkeep of the bike is of prime consideration.

No one wants the chain to come off while being chased by a police Alsatian.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Had to happen one day I suppose - today I collided with a pedestrian who stepped into the road without looking. A Japanese girl so close that although I went for the brakes it gave me no way of avoiding.

I went into her back & she went sprawling on the road. She got up & was obviously a bit in shock & had hurt her hand & knee. I was quite angry & let her know. I didn't fall off, managed to get feet off pedals to keep me upright but if I'd had cleats I would've hit the road too. She said she was sorry & rushing to get to school. Could've damaged my bike but think I've got away with it.

Thankfully she didn't seem to hit her head on the road & I thought no major injury had occurred so I rode off. I wasn't very sympathetic.

I'd had a woman similarly step out only 25 yards before on the same road, but was able to avoid her.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Had to happen one day I suppose - today I collided with a pedestrian who stepped into the road without looking. A Japanese girl so close that although I went for the brakes it gave me no way of avoiding.

I went into her back & she went sprawling on the road. She got up & was obviously a bit in shock & had hurt her hand & knee. I was quite angry & let her know. I didn't fall off, managed to get feet off pedals to keep me upright but if I'd had cleats I would've hit the road too. She said she was sorry & rushing to get to school. Could've damaged my bike but think I've got away with it.

Thankfully she didn't seem to hit her head on the road & I thought no major injury had occurred so I rode off. I wasn't very sympathetic.

I'd had a woman similarly step out only 25 yards before on the same road, but was able to avoid her.
Only good luck has saved me from some serious collisions with the gormless pedestrians who step out in front of me without looking. Makes me wonder how they'll manage when electric cars take over.

This is quite unbelievable... I was almost shaking when I got into work shortly afterwards.

The woman has got out of the l/h parker vehicle so she is one of the reasons I've been forced to dismount and then she goes nuts at me.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
This is quite unbelievable... I was almost shaking when I got into work shortly afterwards.

The woman has got out of the l/h parker vehicle so she is one of the reasons I've been forced to dismount and then she goes nuts at me.

You could try pointing out to the woman that she's parked across a cycle lane. She's probably dense enough that she needs to know why you're angry.

You could try pointing out to the woman that she's parked across a cycle lane. She's probably dense enough that she needs to know why you're angry.
There's very little point trying to reason with someone like that, and from the previous encounter with that vehicle it does look like they might actually get off on blocking the lane then starting stuff.

All of the buggers there park up on the lane and where they're not meant to, they really do not give a f*ck.

I have contacted the school before about this issue generally and they accept that there is a problem, have done so again now speciafically in relation to the 'incest lady'.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Fourteen-year-old boy degloves his penis in cycling accident. Okay, it would have helped if he hadn't been drinking at the time (I don't mean booze) and hadn't been riding one handed, but as a result of an accident the handlebar impaled his scrotum and groin and – yikes! – degloved his penis. This wouldn't have happened if the handlebar had had a grip.

I always make sure that whatever drop-bar bike I'm riding (and I can ride 5-10 different ones a month) has a bar-end plug for that very reason, and every flat-bar bike a full-grip or bar-end plug. I have heard of serious injuries and the Sun reported a fatality in 2018. Even fitting a cork in the end will do the job, otherwise you have what is effectively a hollow punch (I had to look that tool up) that can be travelling at one hell of a speed.

There are links to the BMJ report, which apparently has pictures. I'm not going there...

https://road.cc/content/news/269353...his-bikes-handlebars-freak-crash-doctors-urge