Cycling

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
Part of the course of the Tour de Wallonie – and I thought the UK's roads were bad. That's a shocking surface at any time but in a group of close-packed riders cycling at 30mph or more, well, the race organisers should go back to the drawing board.

I think they do it on purpose. I went right off the TdF as the course increasingly seemed specifically designed to cause as many crashes as possible. This might look spectacular on camera but personally I don't enjoy seeing all my favourites (or indeed anyone) getting smashed into the tarmac day after day. I prefer the Giro and the Vuelta.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
I think they do it on purpose. I went right off the TdF as the course increasingly seemed specifically designed to cause as many crashes as possible. This might look spectacular on camera but personally I don't enjoy seeing all my favourites (or indeed anyone) getting smashed into the tarmac day after day. I prefer the Giro and the Vuelta.

I was wondering if it was down to the technical skill, or lack of, with riders these days - good point though.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Went for a nice 35 or so-mile ride round t'lanes today. It was colder the higher we climbed.

I cleverly took a jacket but Techy didn't and got all mardy.

Here he is, putting on a brave face -

near the top of Mow Cop.jpg

The hills to the left of him are Alderley Edge and little bump on the far right is Shutlingsloe, the 'Matterhorn of Cheshire'.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Went out for a birthday ride today. 40 miles, stiff hills, lovely views, saw some lovely cars!

It's the Capesthorne Hall motor show. We saw two immaculate bubble cars on their way over, then a procession of (we think) 8 Bond Bugs!
Fabulous.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
...little bump on the far right is Shutlingsloe, the 'Matterhorn of Cheshire'.

I put a view from the opposite direction on The Walking Thread, here at #1.

Although, strictly speaking, I think where you are in your image is off to the right of mine.

A nice ride today, 42.5 miles. Techy wanted to try his new bike with a run up t'Cloud...

I love the ‘cloud’ in Bosley Cloud – somehow very evocative. But in this case, it’s actually being used in accordance with the original meaning of the word: in Old English a clud/cloud was a hill, and only later came to mean fluffy white things in the sky…apparently. Clouds = hills in the sky; such a great image.

There’s another cloud not far to the east, Hen Cloud, at the far end of the Roaches, and possibly obscured by them, and just to the west of those a row of rocky outcrops known as Five Clouds. As reckless schoolboys my friends and I used to climb up there quite a lot.

Also to the east, you might be able to see Turner’s Pool from the Cloud – where some time back in the 70’s a swimming tourist allegedly had seven shades of shite scared out of her by an enormous water spirit infuriated by her transgression. Which would be a bit odd, because as far as I’m aware it was man-made by medieval monks after a supply of fresh fish.

And of course Bosley Cloud has its famous summer solstice double sunset.

But you probably knew all that.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Although, strictly speaking, I think where you are in your image is off to the right of mine.

Yup, you are right. I posted the wrong photo and Shutlingsloe isn't on it. When I realised it was the one without it I thought 'Oh well, nobody'll care anyway!' but I was wrong! ;)

Here is the photo I meant to show, with Shut as a tiny bump on the right horizon -

Shutlingsloe.jpg

It's nice to know someone cares! We do love our Cheshire hills, don't we? There aren't many! :)

The views from there are just spectacular. I love biking to the top just to gawp at them.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

I love the ‘cloud’ in Bosley Cloud – somehow very evocative. But in this case, it’s actually being used in accordance with the original meaning of the word: in Old English a clud/cloud was a hill, and only later came to mean fluffy white things in the sky…apparently. Clouds = hills in the sky; such a great image.

There’s another cloud not far to the east, Hen Cloud, at the far end of the Roaches, and possibly obscured by them, and just to the west of those a row of rocky outcrops known as Five Clouds. As reckless schoolboys my friends and I used to climb up there quite a lot.

Also to the east, you might be able to see Turner’s Pool from the Cloud – where some time back in the 70’s a swimming tourist allegedly had seven shades of shite scared out of her by an enormous water spirit infuriated by her transgression. Which would be a bit odd, because as far as I’m aware it was man-made by medieval monks after a supply of fresh fish.

Anyway, when are you coming cycling with us?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

I'm getting Techy to re-register on'ere so he can read all this and discuss the hills of Cheshire with you.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
...It's nice to know someone cares! We do love our Cheshire hills, don't we? There aren't many!...

Truth be told, this is the very bottom end of my tribal hidage. Strictly speaking, I'm one of those hillbilly Pecsætan - up in the proper highland, on the border between the White and the Dark, covered in woad, howling at the moon, talking to the wind, and working on my natural waterproofing. I just lumber out of the mist and bob down Cheshire way every now and again to give my knees a rest and outrage the locals.

It's touch and go whether an outsider like me'll get skinned and nailed to a tree when I cross that songline - but when I'm wearing my antlers, no-one can catch me.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
It's touch and go whether an outsider like me'll get skinned and nailed to a tree when I cross that songline - but when I'm wearing my antlers, no-one can catch me.

Dunno, Techy is from Congleton, where in a hard winter they eat their own young.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
A 50-mile round trip today to Hockenhull Platts today. It's a nature reserve where three packhorse bridges were built in mediaeval times. The current ones date from the 18th century.

It's not really a cycle path though you can try riding if you like punctures. The bridges are gorgeous. So is @Jonfairway in heroic pose.

Hockenhull Platts 12.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Popped out for a quick 10-mile ride this morning. What a beautiful day it is, perfect for cycling.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Popped out for a quick 10-mile ride this morning. What a beautiful day it is, perfect for cycling.
Absolutely.

I've had a quiet couple of cycling weeks – laziness, weather – but I did 25 miles this morning in pleasing weather and nearly all on the Bristol-Bath bike path, now much quieter and much more enjoyable again. Another reason I've been off the bike is a few days when drivers seemed mad – one bloke pedal to the metal in our estate, max speed 20mph, narrow roads, loads of kids. I went 'Whoa'! and he stopped and asked me if I was the police – no, just somebody who wants to stay alive.

And with 40km under my belt I'm going to aim for 1000km in September, which should be doable as I was doing nearly 250 miles a week during the furlough.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Blimey you're doing some miles these days.. is this on electric or normal bikes?
Here's what really happens...
They drive 58 miles, get out and pose for pictures with the bikes. Then they find a pub and quaff pints and eat cakes.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Blimey you're doing some miles these days.. is this on electric or normal bikes?
Electric bikes. They get us up the steeper hills, no help on the flat.

Yesterday we wandered around so much we wore out the batteries and had to pedal home like animals.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Here's what really happens...
They drive 58 miles, get out and pose for pictures with the bikes. Then they find a pub and quaff pints and eat cakes.

I wish!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I knew cheating had to be involved! :p
We used to do similar rides on our racing bikes but it takes about a third less time on t'emokes. It's actually MORE knackering these days because there's no sitting around getting our breath!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
We went to Old Pale Hill today. You can see for miles from the top in various directions - Cheshire, Lancashire, Wales, Merseyside, Shropshire etc. And yes @Spookdaddy - we DID spot Shutlingsloe!

Here's a humorous bench -

Old Pale Hill bench.jpg

and here's a view of the central stone, with Techy, looking all moody.
Techy is posing to the right.
Olp Pale Hill skyline.jpg

Last edited:

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
A rider on the Tour de France was clocked at 97kph [60mph] on a mountain descent yesterday.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
A rider on the Tour de France was clocked at 97kph [60mph] on a mountain descent yesterday.

At that speed, hit a dog turd and you're toast.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
56 miles today, round the Cheshire lanes. Watched planes taking off from Manchester Airport and rode round the deer at Tatton Park.

Found a lovely sculpture/carved tree called the Tree of Imagination.

Me with Tree of Imagination.jpg

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
Electric bikes. They get us up the steeper hills, no help on the flat.
I've got an electric for commuting - means I don't need to shower or change when I get to work (in the normal run of things) especially as I'm often going site to site. I do still use the hybrid from time to time and for exercise.
Yesterday we wandered around so much we wore out the batteries and had to pedal home like animals.
Yeah, that happened to me not long ago. It's a great bike but heavy as hell on the slightest gradient with no power. At least like yours it's rideable: there are those that when the battery goes become effectively useless. What sort of range do you get?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I've got an electric for commuting - means I don't need to shower or change when I get to work (in the normal run of things) especially as I'm often going site to site. I do still use the hybrid from time to time and for exercise.

Yeah, that happened to me not long ago. It's a great bike but heavy as hell on the slightest gradient with no power. At least like yours it's rideable: there are those that when the battery goes become effectively useless. What sort of range do you get?
Mine will do 60 miles even on a steep hilly route. Last time I wore it out, I had enough power for the hills but could pedal it switched off and using the gears well enough over the last 12 miles or so