Cycling

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Here I am, a mile and a half from Beeston Catle. Escet and his partner were standing on top waving at us.

Tattenhall Lane.jpg

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
Those chimneys scare me. I don't think I would like to live in a building with such disproportionate ones. :nails:

Looks like they've stood the test of time.

I'd be inclined to be more worried about the outbuildings over the road falling over in a light breeze - and getting blown into my face.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Hahaha, STALKED.

How do you do that? If I try, it sends a general link to Maps.
Just arrange the view, then copy the link from the top of the web browser, then paste it in here (using the Insert link button).

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Here I am, a mile and a half from Beeston Castle.
As I recalled there are nearby caves, a quick Google verification brought up some other unexpected details re local cycling events.

I didn't realise that pre-covid, there was a naked cycling festival.

You didn't perchance... no, I'm sure not your thing. :)

Infinitely more seriously, I'm close to buying a new bike and sorely tempted by an electric model. Over 60 now and a good 10 years since my last outing, it seems a sensible option.

Aside from the price... any significant downsides I'm possibly not aware of?

Sorry, can't resist, I trust these are not hire bikes...

IMG_20200914_083926_resize_99.jpg

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
I've got an electric for commuting - means I don't need to shower or change when I get to work (in the normal run of things) especially as I'm often going site to site. I do still use the hybrid from time to time and for exercise.

Yeah, that happened to me not long ago. It's a great bike but heavy as hell on the slightest gradient with no power. At least like yours it's rideable: there are those that when the battery goes become effectively useless. What sort of range do you get?

Exploded knee was my first reason to get one. The not getting sweaty was the next.

3 years on I am nowhere near as fit though.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
As I recalled there are nearby caves, a quick Google verification brought up some other unexpected details re local cycling events.

I didn't realise that pre-covid, there was a naked cycling festival.

You didn't perchance... no, I'm sure not your thing. :)

Infinitely more seriously, I'm close to buying a new bike and sorely tempted by an electric model. Over 60 now and a good 10 years since my last outing, it seems a sensible option.

Aside from the price... any significant downsides I'm possibly not aware of?

Sorry, can't resist, I trust these are not hire bikes...

View attachment 29721

Yup, get an ebike! You won't be sorry. I was dead against it until Techy forced me to accept one and I've never used my road bike since!

You have to charge them up (natch) and how long they run for depends on how much use the 'assistance' gets.
I've gone 60 miles with some severe hillage on the way. That's plenty of mileage for a day's pedalling.

Last week we ran the batteries down severely and had to conserve them for the last couple of steep hills on way back, but they didn't actually run out. I had 4% left on my return! The gears work as well as on a normal bike so it wasn't too bad.

I'm 62 and in excellent health and probably fitter than most women my age. The bike suits me well.

Ahhh, Beeston Castle - it is part of my very psyche.

I grew up with it on the horizon and was taken there for visits as a child, and have visited as often as possible ever since.

Would borrow a bike and ride over there as a kid and teenager, dragged every boyfriend up there, took the kids there by bike and later car, and knew every inch of the castle and grounds.

(I'd bring maps and compasses for my children to spot the landmarks. When one joined the Army he already knew all about maps and orienteering!)

When Escet sent me a photo of the caves in the grounds I knew exactly where he was and said 'I hope he's not going up the Old Steep Way!'

He did of course take the New Less Steep Path which was impossibly overgrown when I was a kid. Back then the main way up was a knee breaking frontal assault.

The hill stands high over the Cheshire Plain and the views from the top are fantastic. You can see over several counties, including to the North Wales hills. There is a recent drone video of it which delighted me!

When I was up there once with the kids we saw a light plane circling and told everyone to wave their coats at it, and it waggled its wings! We were enthralled.

I want go up there now.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Is the wooden Elephant still in the house garden in that area,
not been that way for a wile and cant remember were it is
except in the general Beeston area, it was big but could be long
gone by now.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Is the wooden Elephant still in the house garden in that area,
not been that way for a wile and cant remember were it is
except in the general Beeston area, it was big but could be long
gone by now.

That rings a bell but I can't say I've seen it recently. There used to be one in a house front window in the Willaston (Nantwich not Wirral) area.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The caves at Beeston Castle -

Beeston caves.jpg

When I was a kid we'd play in there. They slope down steeply and are totally dark from about 20 feet in. The floors are just rock and very uneven. In the mid-80s I took my kids there and fell down one of the dips and sprained my ankle so badly I thought it was broken! Had to be carried out in a hunky man's arms.

Next time we went back the gates had been installed. I hadn't complained so it wasn't down to me but but the caves were certainly dangerous.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It was in a front garden, much to big to get indoors,
when I have been that way I always look out for it but
can't remember where exactly it was, it was on a main road but
this could have been bypassed so you don't normally pass it now.
We used to go to the horse sales but thats many years ago.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
On way back from my morning tootle today I stopped respectfully as a biker funeral went past. I was wearing my pink and hi-viz cycling clobber but still, eh! It's the thought an' all that.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Hey @cycleboy2, Techy was telling me about the monthly LoveToRide cycling competitions. One cyclist won it recently with a total of nearly 10,000 miles ridden in a month. I'm sure you know all about these goings-on. I'm stroking my chin 'ere.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Hey @cycleboy2, Techy was telling me about the monthly LoveToRide cycling competitions. One cyclist won it recently with a total of nearly 10,000 miles ridden in a month. I'm sure you know all about these goings-on. I'm stroking my chin 'ere.

That's at least 322 miles a day, every day. Mental.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Thinking about it a bit more, taking 10hrs a day as a ride time, & that's maybe pushing it, it would mean an average speed of 30+mph whilst eating, stopping for a shit once in a while etc. That's faster than the Tour de France last year. OK, they have mountains to deal with but nevertheless..

Is it possible?

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
Thinking about it a bit more, taking 10hrs a day as a ride time, & that's maybe pushing it, it would mean an average speed of 30+mph whilst eating, stopping for a shit once in a while etc. That's faster than the Tour de France last year. OK, they have mountains to deal with but nevertheless..

Is it possible?
Presumably all as a solo rider, too - otherwise his mates would also be claiming the record - so none of the aerodynamic advantages of lurking in someone's slipstream to reduce the air resistance now and then. And also no sense of competition/pride/camaraderie to keep up with the peloton.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I seem to remember the record being just over 7000, miles so if it's true they smashed it,
those kind of miles are a achievement on a motorbike let alone pedal power.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
That's at least 322 miles a day, every day. Mental.

Sure that's not kms? I've done 325kms about 200 miles a fair few times and it took me about 12 hours. I'm guessing it's possible if the terrain is flat.

The thing is you are going to need someone to act as support and doing that every day I would say is impossible. Also by the time I hit about 200 miles, I could no longer eat enough to match my calorie expenditure. This was one of the reasons Scott's party died. They could not carry enough or eat enough to make it back. You'd need perfect weather.

Last edited: