Cycling

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I've asked Techy if he means km and he says it's possible*, and that as no proof is required people can just make the mileage claim without evidence. It's all bollocks innit.

*as in he's misread it

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The annual verified world record mileage is 86,537 by the American rider Amanda Coker, so 10,000 miles in a month is achievable. For somebody, certainly not me! Coker carried on after her year to break the record for 100,000 miles, achieving this in 423 days. This was in 2017, two years after she recovered from brain and spinal injuries she suffered in 2011. Wowza!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Coker

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The annual verified world record mileage is 86,537 by the American rider Amanda Coker, so 10,000 miles in a month is achievable. For somebody, certainly not me! Coker carried on after her year to break the record for 100,000 miles, achieving this in 423 days. This was in 2017, two years after she recovered from brain and spinal injuries she suffered in 2011. Wowza!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Coker

The numbers Techy tells me about are self-reported mileages that can't be verified. He's calling bullshit!

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The numbers Techy tells me about are self-reported mileages that can't be verified. He's calling bullshit!
The problem these days is that you can stick your Garmin on your bike and it's perfectly accurate – though equally of course stick it on an e-bike or when getting a tow from somebody. Amanda Coker did most of her challenge riding a 7-mile loop of a park, which is pretty easy to witness! Though she must have gone into a Zen-like state riding that loop hundreds of times a week!

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
she must have gone into a Zen-like state riding that loop hundreds of times a week!
Yeah, I don't get this at all. If you're going to ride the equivalent of twice around the world (or whatever), then, you know, why not ride twice around the world? The meaningless pursuit of numbers for their own sake is baffling to me: just think of the memories you could make, and the stories you could tell over and over to your grandkids despite their fixed mask of polite interest. At any rate, you'd have more to go at than "and you'll never guess what happened on lap 42, on the 3rd of February..."

I seem to recall Rebecca Adlington saying somewhere that she hated swimming. I know it's ostensibly off-topic, but the obvious question is, so why do it, then? OK, she could do it to an Olympic standard, but if she derived no pleasure from it? Crikey, I'll never be more than a third-rate accordionist (yeah, yeah...) or guitarist, but I still take pleasure in trying. As the man said, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. And in my book, that holds true vice versa, as well.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't get this at all. If you're going to ride the equivalent of twice around the world (or whatever), then, you know, why not ride twice around the world? The meaningless pursuit of numbers for their own sake is baffling to me: just think of the memories you could make, and the stories you could tell over and over to your grandkids despite their fixed mask of polite interest. At any rate, you'd have more to go at than "and you'll never guess what happened on lap 42, on the 3rd of February..."

I seem to recall Rebecca Adlington saying somewhere that she hated swimming. I know it's ostensibly off-topic, but the obvious question is, so why do it, then? OK, she could do it to an Olympic standard, but if she derived no pleasure from it? Crikey, I'll never be more than a third-rate accordionist (yeah, yeah...) or guitarist, but I still take pleasure in trying. As the man said, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. And in my book, that holds true vice versa, as well.

All good points, especially The meaningless pursuit of numbers for their own sake is baffling to me.
Some aspect of this or another competitor was based on the number of cycle rides people did. So they could just turn the Garmin on and off 20 times and there's your 20 rides. What rubbish.

This too - As the man said, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. I'll never win a race because to me it's all about enjoyment. Fitness is a bonus.
Sometimes when I'm bowling along I almost, not quite, remember how much cycling felt like flying when I was about 10.
I'll never know such joy again. It's worth trying though.

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
The problem these days is that you can stick your Garmin on your bike and it's perfectly accurate – though equally of course stick it on an e-bike or when getting a tow from somebody. Amanda Coker did most of her challenge riding a 7-mile loop of a park, which is pretty easy to witness! Though she must have gone into a Zen-like state riding that loop hundreds of times a week!
As a lot of distance cycling is about the mind. I find the fact she was doing a loop even more amazing.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Anyway, I bloody fell off today. Was trying to turn the bike round on a pavement and tripped myself up to the great amusement of the queue outside the offie executing a spontaneous but graceful wheel walk to awed applause from a small audience.

(I'm not fooling anyone, am I?)

Anyway, I now have a grazed/bruised leg. It's like being 8 again. I am once more the QUEEN of scabby knees.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Thank yous for your concern, kind peeps.

If the bruising is impressive enough there may be a photo later. :D

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Back to Pale Hill for the stunning panoramic views today via several picturesque picnic locations.

On way we passed Oulton Park where the British Superbike championship was being held. The lane we took runs beside the track (behind a high wall, boo) so it sounds as if there's a motorbike about to overtake for about 2 miles. You keep looking over your shoulder!

Sadly there are currently no spectators allowed, unlike last year's event where 40,000 turned up. That didn't stop eager fans standing on pushbikes and climbing on the roofs of vans to get a look. The famous Knicker Brook* section is good for this.

As a kid I never owned a bike but would borrow one and pedal around the lanes for hours. It was bliss, the best fun I had.
These days I can share that with Techy. He can't quite believe how great it is to wander around the countryside on a bike.

*Please do Google this. SFW and very funny!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
More wandering around the lanes. The countryside here really is beautiful.

I've finally convinced Techy that all you need to do is get on the bike, maybe with a little picnic, and set off with a vague idea of a destination, and get yourself lost and have a laugh. You don't need to know where you're going!

Today we did exactly that and found our way to a village I used to know well, a very spooky place. It's where a giant horse has been seen standing over the road like an immense bridge. I have spoken with an eyewitness to this.

We didn't see anything weird but I did take a nice photo of Techy!

Techt at the bench.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I'm reliably informed that there's a variety known as MAMILs - Middle Aged Men In Lycra!
Anyone trying to take the piss when I'm out cycling meets my alter ego MABIL. You can guess what that stands for.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I've installed compasses on t'mokes so we can see where we're going wrong.

HUGELY helpful. On our latest map there's a little spur, which I pointed out to Techy and asked 'Wassat then?'
He said 'That's where you said 'This is no good, we're going south now!' so we turned back sharpish!'

Also, and I thought everyone knew this but Techy didn't, the major landmark in the area faces south so you can orientate by it. Saved me a lot of trouble over the years.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
After a prolonged absence I am returning to the world of competitive cycling this Saturday. Bath has a 1.5km surfaced cycling track and there's going to be a series of 15km time trials – unlike a massed-start race you're racing against the clock. There will be other competitors on the track at the same time but you're not allowed to slipstream them; if I remember rightly you have to be at least 10 metres behind unless you're overtaking.

At my (very average) peak in the 1990s I could ride 16km (10 miles) in around 25 minutes but my target for Saturday is to break 30 minutes, which should be doable unless the weather is especially poor. Having ridden the track a few times I think – think – I should be able to average around 32kph. We'll see...

Wish me luck!

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
After a prolonged absence I am returning to the world of competitive cycling this Saturday. Bath has a 1.5km surfaced cycling track and there's going to be a series of 15km time trials – unlike a massed-start race you're racing against the clock. There will be other competitors on the track at the same time but you're not allowed to slipstream them; if I remember rightly you have to be at least 10 metres behind unless you're overtaking.

At my (very average) peak in the 1990s I could ride 16km (10 miles) in around 25 minutes but my target for Saturday is to break 30 minutes, which should be doable unless the weather is especially poor. Having ridden the track a few times I think – think – I should be able to average around 32kph. We'll see...

Wish me luck!

hilly or flat?

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
hilly or flat?
Surprisingly for Bath it's a flat course – on top of a hill – and I guess with no more than a few metres rise and fall. Winds can be a problem, though, which was also true when I used to ride duathlons (run-bike-run events) at Castle Combe race track.

I've just looked it up and there are seven metres of elevation and it's from six-eight metres wide. It's a fabulous facility for training on.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Surprisingly for Bath it's a flat course – on top of a hill – and I guess with no more than a few metres rise and fall. Winds can be a problem, though, which was also true when I used to ride duathlons (run-bike-run events) at Castle Combe race track.

I've just looked it up and there are seven metres of elevation and it's from six-eight metres wide. It's a fabulous facility for training on.

You know what to do. Tuck into that little compartment in your mind, curse your legs and count the miles - ride fast.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Today we did a little climb to Timbersbrook, in our very own Cheshire Peak District, with a diversion to examine this beauty.
Techy knows the area well and I reckon he's been steering me away from it because he knew I'd be fascinated. I love metal structures.

Congleton Water Tower.jpg

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Had a nice tootle round t'lanes today, just over 40 miles. Chilly but sunny and dry, perfect.

Here I am having a snack at Oulton Mill Pond near Oulton Park.

The way back passes the famous Knicker Brook which always makes me laugh.

me at Oulton Lake 1.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Had a nice tootle round t'lanes today, just over 40 miles. Chilly but sunny and dry, perfect.

Here I am having a snack at Oulton Mill Pond near Oulton Park.

The way back passes the famous Knicker Brook which always makes me laugh.

View attachment 31746

We used to travel on trains for Lake District/seaside/mountain rides but that's all over, for now at least.

I was feeling disgruntled about this until we watched some YouTube videos of cycling groups cruising round the Cheshire lanes.
Some were from hilly areas where they hardly ever got any speed up. Their local roads are full of dangerous dips and bends, whereas ours are mainly straight and flat. We also have excellent lanes with good visibility and helpful 'drovers' verges'. (For grazing livestock on way to and from market. They're great for getting off the road for a brew or to look at the view.)

My photo shows a typical rural Cheshire horizon - sky and trees. Our dear Gap has only a few sparsely-spaced hills. Ideal for cycling!
So after some reflection I'm feeling more appreciative of our pancake-like geography.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
We had a nice brisk run round the chilly lanes today. Didn't go up any hills because there was fog higher up so there'd be no views to admire.

Saw this and had to pop back for a photo -

Pheasant.jpg

Took a few pictures from various distances while trying hard not to get run over.
WhenI finished I turned away to look at the road, to cross safely, then looked back and the bird was gone.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Made a pad for my bike crossbar, like a BMX accessory. It has a length of the thickest pipe insulation I could find for me to bounce on when I fall off. There is also a stripe of reflective tape along each side to make it show up in headlights.

Worked hard, only for it to look like the sleeve off an old P-Way jacket. :rolleyes:

bike pad 2.jpg