Cycling

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
My grandad in his youth did a cycle tour of the Brecon Beacons. On a fixie! I don't know which would be worse, the ascents or the descents...
In about 1950 my newlywed parents toured North Wales on a tandem!

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Techy's winter cycling jacket.
Yes, that's him wearing it.

View attachment 32641
I've got one like that and when it's on the back of a dining room chair and you catch a glimpse of it out of the corner of your eye, it can be quite disconcerting.

But I don't ever want a driver to have the SMIDSY excuse: "Sorry, mate, I didn't see you." On the cycle path I use one light, steady; on the road I'll often use two, one steady, one pulsing. And I use a pulse or strobe front light during the day – not blinding but very visible.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I've got one like that and when it's on the back of a dining room chair and you catch a glimpse of it out of the corner of your eye, it can be quite disconcerting.

But I don't ever want a driver to have the SMIDSY excuse: "Sorry, mate, I didn't see you." On the cycle path I use one light, steady; on the road I'll often use two, one steady, one pulsing. And I use a pulse or strobe front light during the day – not blinding but very visible.

I have a couple of hefty work hi-viz jackets with reflective stripes that are good for winter cycling, but they have company logos on the back.
Currently working on making reflective patches to cover the logos. They have to fit over the lettering and suggest a recognisable shape in the hope they'll be eye-catching. Probably a cat.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Made a reflective crossbar cover for Techy's 'night' bike. My aim is to make us both visible from space.

crossbar cover.jpg

(Edited to add the crucial word 'crossbar', which was accidentally omitted when Bagpuss the senile moggy was sprawling across my keyboard and interfering with my finely-crafted post.)

Last edited:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Hard to know what's going on in this pic - looks like it has been censored.
That's what you'd see in headlights. It's a crossbar cover. No function apart from making the bike show up.

My bad, the crucial word 'crossbar' was missed out. I've put it in now.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

I go out lit up like a Christmas tree. A specific tree in fact, namely the one in Trafalgar Square, sent from Norway every winter to thank the British nation for our support during World War 2.

Like this -

Trafalger Square tree.jpg

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I go out lit up like a Christmas tree. A specific tree in fact, namely the one in Trafalgar Square, sent from Norway every winter to thank the British nation for our support during World War 2.

Like this -

View attachment 33053
I can see you. Where's the tree?

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

Like this -

View attachment 33053

I go through phases with lighting and high vis. Often people who pass me say "I could see you a mile off" - so the job is done. I have one inbuilt front light, a powerful helmet light. (so I can pitch it down if someone is approaching), and a powerful blinky to let the rabbits know I'm coming. If I don't they tend to get startled and jump in front of me.

The rear light is the inbuilt one and a powerful red blinky on the helmet.

These work well, I also have a backup red light, in case one fails.

I've been cycling 135kms a week, through ever imaginable weather, for almost 20 years and this seems to work. I tend to have a high viz as well.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
There is a new dickhead cyclist that is commuting along the cycle track. I've been cycling along that way 5 days a week for years and have had x2 near-collisions.

Over a couple of days, he has almost hit me twice, coming home from nights. Both times he was bombing along at 35km+ coming out of descents around blind corners.
He has terrorized a few other people as well. He doesn't know how to emergency brake either. He's not young, hard to tell as he is passed you in a second, possibly mid-thirties.

I'm going to leave a little early when I can and have a chat with him as yelling "fucking slow down you fucking twat" isn't working.

Last edited:

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
There is a new dickhead cyclist that is commuting along the cycle track. I've been cycling along that way 5 days a week for years and have had x2 near-collisions.

Over a couple of days, he has almost hit me twice, coming home from nights. Both times he was bombing along at 35km+ coming out of descents around blind corners.
He has terrorized a few other people as well. He doesn't know how to emergency brake either. He's not young, hard to tell as he is passed you in a second, possibly mid-thirties.

I'm going to leave a little early when I can and have a chat, with him as yelling "fucking slow down you fucking twat" isn't working.
All that type of behaviour seemed to stop when the last lockdown ended but I’m expecting it to start up again with the new one, possibly not so widespread as I cannot see some of these guys going out in the pissing rain like some of the more seasoned cyclists.

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score
When i was cycling to and from work in Milton Kenyes, as well as fantastic Cycling routes it also had lots of people who thought they meant you didn’t have to use lights. I had rear and front lights, a reflective jacket, a twiddly flashing thing on my rear wheel and fairy lights on my crossbar. I was overtaken on the hill up to the station by a bloke on his bike with no lights and dressed entirely in black who whizzed past me shouting ‘they’re not going to miss you!’ in a sarcastic fasion, and i did have to point out that was the point......

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
It's cold out there. Techy went for his usual weeknight 20/30 miler, all wrapped up, and got about 2 miles out before his brakes iced up and he had to limp home.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It's cold out there. Techy went for his usual weeknight 20/30 miler, all wrapped up, and got about 2 miles out before his brakes iced up and he had to limp home.
I've had a cold for most of the year (where the flip that comes from who knows?) but I'll be braving the big bad world of riding in the next few days, with every layer that I can muster (quite a lot, handily; I'll look like the Michelin Man and move at the same speed!).

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I've had a cold for most of the year (where the flip that comes from who knows?) but I'll be braving the big bad world of riding in the next few days, with every layer that I can muster (quite a lot, handily; I'll look like the Michelin Man and move at the same speed!).
Techy wasn't personally cold but the roads are icy and it was foggy, and his brakes went on strike.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Techy wasn't personally cold but the roads are icy and it was foggy, and his brakes went on strike.
Ice and wind are the two no-nos for cycling. Everything else you can cope with providing you have the right gear, but not those. I've never had brakes freeze on me; I've had various bits of me freeze but not brakes. If it's icy outside I don't ride.

About 15 years ago I was riding the 300 metres from from home to Trowbridge station that has a 30m slipway on a very, very, very gentle slope. It wasn't until I started on the slope that I realised it was a sheet of black ice. I tried not to brake or change direction but I still came off – bloody gravity! I blame Newton and his meddling...

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Ice and wind are the two no-nos for cycling. Everything else you can cope with providing you have the right gear, but not those. I've never had brakes freeze on me; I've had various bits of me freeze but not brakes. If it's icy outside I don't ride.

About 15 years ago I was riding the 300 metres from from home to Trowbridge station that has a 30m slipway on a very, very, very gentle slope. It wasn't until I started on the slope that I realised it was a sheet of black ice. I tried not to brake or change direction but I still came off – bloody gravity! I blame Newton and his meddling...
When I had a job in cycle-commuting distance the only weather that stopped me was ice. I'd yomp in instead with hiking poles like Scott of the Antarctic.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
When I had a job in cycle-commuting distance the only weather that stopped me was ice. I'd yomp in instead with hiking poles like Scott of the Antarctic.
I could have walked to the station, but when I left the flat I didn't realise it would be icy.

When I lived in Trowbridge my commute options to Bath were cycling all the way, around 12 miles, mainly on the canal towpath, or by train. Usually I'd walk to the station so I don't know why that day I was riding (probably cos I was late and rushing as I love a lie-in under a warm duvet. Ahhhh). Overall I probably rode about half the time and went by train half the time. In an ideal world – or in most countries of the world – I could have ridden one way and gone by train the other way without being ripped off. But in the UK's fuck-witted system the single ticket was/is 10p cheaper than the return, as opposed to being charged per km or similar.

I love train travel but really, really, really don't miss my commute now that I'm retired, er, not working full time

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
BBC Click has a feature on Zwift. There are international races and apparently it's possible to cheat.

None of this interested me in the slightest.

Then I saw a clip of a Zwift race which seemed to be wending its way through Hell. :chuckle:

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm not keen on picking up other people's discarded masks either. Most of the houses in our court are rented now and the tenants overfill their rubbish bins, mostly not even bagged and the ravens go through it looking for food . So much falls on the ground and blows down to my place.
I use a thin garden stake to pick up the masks and put them in my bin.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My first ride of the year today – actually my first ride in a month or more following a sprained knee and a new-year head cold. I only did 10km on a bright, cold day that was ideal for riding. I seem to have suffered no ill effects. There were a lot of people out walking and social distancing was being exercised more than at any time since the first (and proper) lockdown. I didn't leave my area but traffic seemed heavier than during the first lockdown, but quieter than a usual Sunday. This is only a tiny snapshot.

I'm hoping to move up the gears a little and get to 100 miles a week by the end of the month; we'll see...

I've also spoken to a local e-bike delivery company (a company that delivers goods locally by e-bike, not one that delivers e-bikes!) and hope to get on their list of riders, which would be good. I have two invoices to hand in but so far since being made redundant in November my income is nothing! (I should say, though, that we have no financial issues though a little more work would be nice. I think Mrs Cycleboy would appreciate me pulling my weight financially, if nothing else!)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Today I was pedalling along approaching a busy T-junction when a bloke on a bike, at least my age, rode out of the turning on the right and straight in front of me. I had to slow down.

So there we both were, wobbling about in the middle of a potholey road with traffic coming from 3 directions.

He waved me on with a 'Sorry! I didn't see you!'

I was sitting on a pushbike in front of him, in hi-viz jacket, helmet and overkecks, and the bike has hi-viz features like the bottle cover and crossbar pad. You could see me from space.

He really does need his eyes examined. I hope he doesn't go for a test in his car when I'm out on my bike.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Had a nice 30-odd mile ride today in the cold. I was OK as I had about 11 jackets on* and my awesome waterproof Bermudas.

The star is lit up at night. Legend has it that a cyclist is chosen each Equinox to be tied to it, set afire and rolled down the hill into the River Weaver to ensure an abundant crop of Cheshire cheese.

About 10 minutes after we got back there was heavy rain. Excellent timing, what.

Star 1.jpg

*well 2

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Yes, I think I know what you mean...that's really interesting. I'll be giving it a go at the weekend, ta!

Frasier is told that does and tries it on a charity bike ride. As he keeps noticing some item of street furniture he repeatedly crashes into it and is there all day!

I may already have mentioned this and crammed the clip down everyone's throats. :chuckle:

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Had a nice 10-mile ride today, to the next town and back on a Sustrans route via lanes and bike paths.
Sunny, dry weather but as soon as the sun dimmed a little and the wind got up it was FREEZING.

Possibly the coldest bike ride I've ever done. The chill didn't bother me as I was well wrapped-up.

A mate sent me videos showing snowing falling heavily in the Midlands.

I sent back photos of blue Cheshire skies!

bike in blue skies over Cheshire.jpg

This one shows snow falling over the distant Welsh hills -

blue skies over Cheshire.jpg

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Took no chances today on my ride after last week when I got soaked twice and had cold feet for about five hours. So, today I wore DeFeetWoolie Boolie socks, shoes, toe covers and full overshoes, full-length Castelli bib tights, long-sleeved base layer, long sleeved jersey, long-sleeved GoreTex windproof, thick gloves with liner pair underneath, buff and a skullcap under the helmet. I was most cosy for my 90-minute morning ride this morning and I'm going out for two hours this afternoon.

If all goes well I'll be out on Salisbury Plain testing bikes tomorrow, having got a chunk of post-redundancy freelance work for Feb and March. I need it, as I discovered this morning that some of my old jerseys are a, shall we say, 'snug' fit.