escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Here I am, eleven sweaters in.

at Oulton Mill Pond.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Popped out for a ride this morning and all went well until a dustbin lorry crowded me on a roundabout approach and nearly splattered me.

I pedalled home in a fury and filled out an online council complaint form. They will have received it within an hour of the incident.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Popped out for a ride this morning and all went well until a dustbin lorry crowded me on a roundabout approach and nearly splattered me.

I pedalled home in a fury and filled out an online council complaint form. They will have received it within an hour of the incident.
Maybe they'll send you a voucher for some free rubbish :p

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
This girl gets her own back on van...

That video has been doing the rounds for a few years now. If I recall correctly, there are some quite serious doubts as to its authenticity.

Here we go. The Sun is undoubtedly not the greatest arbiter of truth on the planet, but it seems that the company involved did not deny it’s at issue – appearing to shift the blame on a source, rather than their own creatives.

At the time I recall that The Independent suggested the company who had 'purchased' the clip were licensing the video for £600 a pop – which might indicate why it was worth setting up.

There’s no doubt that this type of shit happens, but making it up for cash helps no-one.

My own radar started twitching when I first saw it as I’m almost positive that I've seen another viral road rage type incident filmed in almost exactly the same area around Tottenham Court Road – another which turned out to be staged (lots of media companies in Soho and Fitzrovia). I think this would have been around 2014. (Also - but this is entirely subjective - the audible dialogue sounds to me to be in that awkward realm that feels neither spontaneous, or scripted; I would definitely have got a better writer.)

Edit: My mistake - my memory was out a bit. The Independent covered the suggestion that the story was fake, but it was actually the Evening Standard who quoted the £600 figure:

However social media company Jungle Creations, who are licensing the footage for £600 a time, said they had no way of knowing if it really happened or if it was a stunt.

The company bills itself as the “6th biggest media company in the world and claims to “create and curate the best content on the internet.”

Hmmmm.

Last edited:

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
That video has been doing the rounds for a few years now. If I recall correctly, there are some quite serious doubts as to its authenticity.

Here we go. The Sun is undoubtedly not the greatest arbiter of truth on the planet, but it seems that the company involved did not deny it’s at issue – appearing to shift the blame on a source, rather than their own creatives.

At the time I recall that The Independent suggested the company who had 'purchased' the clip were licensing the video for £600 a pop – which might indicate why it was worth setting up.

There’s no doubt that this type of shit happens, but making it up for cash helps no-one.

My own radar started twitching when I first saw it as I’m almost positive that I've seen another viral road rage type incident filmed in almost exactly the same area around Tottenham Court Road – another which turned out to be staged (lots of media companies in Soho and Fitzrovia). I think this would have been around 2014. (Also - but this is entirely subjective - the audible dialogue sounds to me to be in that awkward realm that feels neither spontaneous, or scripted; I would definitely have got a better writer.)

Edit: My mistake - my memory was out a bit. The Independent covered the suggestion that the story was fake, but it was actually the Evening Standard who quoted the £600 figure:

Hmmmm.

This shit really does happen. Just read OWB's posts here, (come back), and mine on this thread, violence, speed-freak truckers, jumped by gangs and that's just an average Monday...

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
This shit really does happen. Just read OWB's posts here, (come back), and mine on this thread, violence, speed-freak truckers, jumped by gangs and that's just an average Monday...

Yup, read them all. As I said, 'there’s no doubt that this type of shit happens'. I've been shoved off my bike by someone's passenger at a red light - just for fun, as far as I could work out. Thing is, it's not as if I actually go out on my bike that often. So I can just imagine what it's like for everyday riders.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
By coincidence, I've been stripping and cleaning my luvverly Crossrip Elite (bought around 2015 - and the first brand new bike I have owned in my life).

20210325_135843.jpg

I'm over six foot, with a long back, relatively shorter legs and heavy around the shoulders and arms.

Okay, that makes me sound like a circus freak; I'm not sure the differences are that noticeable to anybody else - but I've always felt top-heavy in my own body (spent most of my time underwater when I was learning to canoe) which is why the seat looks a bit low in that picture. I can never quite get it feeling right, so I've been experimenting a bit.

Edit: I wasn't actually trying to charge up the tires, by the way.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

My own radar started twitching when I first saw it I’m almost positive that I've seen another viral road rage type incident filmed in almost exactly the same area around Tottenham Court Road – another which turned out to be staged (lots of media companies in Soho and Fitzrovia). I think this would have been around 2014. (Also - but this is entirely subjective - the audible dialogue sounds to me to be in that awkward realm that feels neither spontaneous, or scripted; I would definitely have got a better writer.)

Hmmmm.
That's the thing about art. It expresses and also foretells. ;)

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Yup, read them all. As I said, 'there’s no doubt that this type of shit happens'. I've been shoved off my bike by someone's passenger at a red light - just for fun, as far as I could work out. Thing is, it's not as if I actually go out on my bike that often. So I can just imagine what it's like for everyday riders.

My rule of thumb was "buzzed every day" A car or whatever came in touching distance and this was not in a big safe slow city. They would be going 50kmh to 70kmh. Mostly they had no idea that slightly nearer you'd be dragged under - we became skilled at avoiding that.

The spooky ones were when it was deliberate and "how far am I going to push it to before I've injured you?" thing going on. Once or twice a year.

The rest was folk jumping out or throwing beer bottles and I live near an ok city - this is still fairly normal but I reckon e-skate boards, scooters, etc are making us more normal and not as open to abuse.

It's a bit easier being a cyclist since the e-bikes took off. There was a mad guy from London who told me all this many years ago and I thought he was talking shit - the guy knew what he was on about.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
My mountain bikes are now getting the hi-viz treatment.

Edit - the little protuberance at the saddle end is a loop with a lobster clip.

After purchasing about a kilo of them I'm fitting them to everything in sight. My ambition is to eventually have all my possessions hooked together.

mountain bike hi-viz.jpg

Last edited:

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
On my way home from a bike ride/shopping trip yesterday I was behind & gaining on another cyclist. When we got to a t junction I was right behind when we came to a stop. He turned round & who should it be but none other than Jezza Corbyn. He said to pass as he was waiting for his wife who was following.

Funnily enough I have been called Jeremy Corbyn on one occasion by a youngster. I don't think I look that much like him although I do have a grey beard.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Techy went out for a short brake-testing ride today with a bottle of squash us usual.
Luckily he didn't drink any as it was diluted washing-up liquid that he'd left in it to soak. :chuckle:

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I thought it was going to be a repeat wasp-in-a-bottle incident at first!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Since starting regular training in early 2016 Techy has cycled over 20,000 miles. He's lost a few stones and is in much better physical and mental health.

Here are some stats from a few weeks ago -

Jon's stats.jpg
Ignore the Longest Ride, he reckons he left the Garmin on when we went home on the train! :chuckle:

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Since starting regular training in early 2016 Techy has cycled over 20,000 miles. He's lost a few stones and is in much better physical and mental health.

Here are some stats from a few weeks ago -

View attachment 39013
Ignore the Longest Ride, he reckons he left the Garmin on when we went home on the train! :chuckle:

138 miles is nothing. Just a long Saturday.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Here's Techy looking at my bike when it went wrong. I'd still climbed 555' PEDALLING LIKE AN ANIMAL on it.

Oh yeah, and notice the public defibrillator in the phone box!

Fiing my bike at Timbersbrook.jpg

Trevp666

Reaction score
No phone for the 999, just the defibrillator yeah?

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
I'm a biker and not a cycler but thought this Project Gutenberg ebook from 1902 would be of interest - Cycle Rides round London. My former Village is described in the first route and I've already noticed differences from 120 years ago, but still would be worth pursuing when I get the time.

The Bicycle Window (more like an 'obby 'orse ~1642) at the church at Stoke Poges (as in Thomas Gray's Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard)
Bicycle Window Stoke Poges.jpg

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/58764/58764-h/58764-h.htm

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Nearly got myself killed today -

:omg:

I was out on the e-bike, on a bike path waiting for a truck to pass from the left and join the roundabout so I could cross.

I put my foot on the pedal while repositioning t'moke and it bloody shot forwards, sending me off-balance so I wobbled all over the road and nearly fell off. It was all I could do to stay upright.

The truck was still approaching and the driver sounded the horn about seven million times.

The front of the truck looked ENORMOUS and I saw it hit me and splatter my limbs in all directions while my head rolled away down the road.

Of course I actually made it to the opposite kerb with about a millisecond to spare. Not exaggerating, the truck was within feet of me.

The driver stopped and glared at me and I made apologetic gestures.
Off he went, shaking his head. Next stop - the underwear shop!

How it happened was that Techy had adjusted and re-synchronised the cadence and pedal sensors so it all works properly. It's a bit hair-trigger now.

Funnily enough, I was carrying a bouquet in a rucksack.
If it'd landed in the hedge there'd've been one of those roadside shrines before I was even cold. :chuckle:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

I was out on the e-bike, on a bike path waiting for a truck to pass from the left and join the roundabout so I could cross.

I put my foot on the pedal while repositioning t'moke and it bloody shot forwards, sending me off-balance so I wobbled all over the road and nearly fell off. It was all I could do to stay upright.

The truck was still approaching and the driver sounded the horn about seven million times.

The front of the truck looked ENORMOUS and I saw it hit me and splatter my limbs in all directions while my head rolled away down the road.

Of course I actually made it to the opposite kerb with about a millisecond to spare. Not exaggerating, the truck was within feet of me.

How it happened was that Techy had adjusted and re-synchronised the cadence and pedal sensors so it all works properly. It's a bit hair-trigger now.

If it'd landed in the hedge there'd've been one of those roadside shrines before I was even cold. :chuckle:
Glad to hear you're all right after a hairy experience.

I've tested a couple of quite racy e-bikes recently - they look more or less like normal bikes - and commented that you need to adjust slightly to riding them. These don't have super-powerful motors but one of them in particular senses very, very quickly when you start pedalling. This is great if you stop in the wrong gear or on a hill, as it means you can start without a knee-grinding effort. But I realised that coming to a give way you have to make sure you ease off the pedalling, or you could accelerate at a most inopportune time.

What I do like about them, apart from the help of course, is that they encourage a smooth pedalling style so that you're getting consistent help from the motor.

Last edited:

Trevp666

Reaction score
Don't they make them with a button you press to engage the motor or something? It sounds quite dangerous to me.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Don't they make them with a button you press to engage the motor or something? It sounds quite dangerous to me.
They do. Mine was slow to respond until Techy tuned it up to how it should be so I didn't realise how quick off the mark it would be.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
In the UK and the EU there are very strict laws on e-bikes. They don't have a throttle like a motorbike but offer assistance only when you're pedalling and then only up to 15.5mph/25kph at which point the assistance is cut off. It takes a little while to get used to but I don't think they're inherently dangerous and they're a great option for all sorts of people. And the assistance isn't that powerful on lower settings, you tend to go for the more powerful settings climbing hills when they're a real boon.

You see a fair number of people riding e-bikes without pedalling. They have almost certainly been illegally de-regulated and in the event of an accident I suspect they'd be in serious trouble.

JaneD

JaneD
Reaction score
In the UK and the EU there are very strict laws on e-bikes. They don't have a throttle like a motorbike but offer assistance only when you're pedalling and then only up to 15.5mph/25kph at which point the assistance is cut off. It takes a little while to get used to but I don't think they're inherently dangerous and they're a great option for all sorts of people. And the assistance isn't that powerful on lower settings, you tend to go for the more powerful settings climbing hills when they're a real boon.

You see a fair number of people riding e-bikes without pedalling. They have almost certainly been illegally de-regulated and in the event of an accident I suspect they'd be in serious trouble.
I think they are the future for commuting. As i get older they look more and more appealing. There’s a lot of hills round here!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I think they are the future for commuting. As i get older they look more and more appealing. There’s a lot of hills round here!
Our area is mainly flat so cyclists come from miles away to actually get some speed up instead of fighting with gradients.

Techy bought me the e-bike so I could keep up with him, having taken up cycling as his mid-life health kick. As is usual in the circs he went all-out for it.

Me, I'd always had a bike and tootled round at my own speed, because that's what people do where I live.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

Cycle Boy - You don't use e-bikes, I do - We can talk about what's what. Cycling purest but I've done major miles on Ebikes and I know what I'm talking about.

Scarg.

Hang on so you stopped for a moment to let traffic go and you had that "jump" and accelerate from the motor that pushed you forward?

Your e-bike will push you forward. It's a motor, it's a kick.

When you unexpectedly arrive at a junction and forget to change the assist - Spread your legs so if you get that motor kick you can plan for it.

So when approaching a junction with an EB, particularly with an emergency stop.:

Power down and spread your legs on either side,
Appy brakes
Always have your fingers on the brake levers to stop that little jump into traffic.

Last edited: