Cycling

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Cycle Boy - You don't use e-bikes, I do - We can talk about what's what. Cycling purest but I've done major miles on Ebikes and I know what I'm talking about.

Scarg.

Hang on so you stopped for a moment to let traffic go and you had that "jump" and accelerate from the motor that pushed you forward?

Your e-bike will push you forward. It's a motor, it's a kick.

When you unexpectedly arrive at a junction and forget to change the assist - Spread your legs so if you get that motor kick you can plan for it.

So when approaching a junction with an EB, particularly with an emergency stop.:

Power down and spread your legs on either side,
Appy brakes
Always have your fingers on the brake levers to stop that little jump into traffic.
Yes. Spread your legs.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Cycle Boy - You don't use e-bikes, I do - We can talk about what's what. Cycling purest but I've done major miles on Ebikes and I know what I'm talking about.

Scarg.

Hang on so you stopped for a moment to let traffic go and you had that "jump" and accelerate from the motor that pushed you forward?

Your e-bike will push you forward. It's a motor, it's a kick.

When you unexpectedly arrive at a junction and forget to change the assist - Spread your legs so if you get that motor kick you can plan for it.

So when approaching a junction with an EB, particularly with an emergency stop.:

Power down and spread your legs on either side,
Appy brakes
Always have your fingers on the brake levers to stop that little jump into traffic.
I hadn't forgotten anything, it was the bike. Techy had tuned it up so it was taking off faster after being sluggish. I wasn't even sitting square on the seat.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
I hadn't forgotten anything, it was the bike. Techy had tuned it up so it was taking off faster after being sluggish. I wasn't even sitting square on the seat.

It's still the kick/assist caused by the motor. That's why most e-bikes are fitted with hydraulic disc brakes as you need to be able to stop it immediately otherwise you'll accelerate. When you have to stop suddenly and then release the brake you'll be propelled forward as you are still in an assist mode.

Happens to me all the time.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Popped out on t'moke.
Had a few errands to do and it's a nice day for a tootle.

This is just a basic Halfords mountain bike but I love it because it fits my short stubby legs so well.

I can do ANYTHING on it.

received_131788442379962.jpeg

bugmum

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I'm getting an e-bike soon. I'm not sure how the In-House GP is going to react when I tell him I'll need to keep my legs spread.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
And todays purchase is now in the 'Things I bought' thread.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Is the wooden Elephant still in the house garden in that area,
not been that way for a wile and cant remember were it is
except in the general Beeston area, it was big but could be long
gone by now.

I've just come across this in a cycling book. It's the elephant and castle carving in a Peckforton cottage garden.

John Watson was a stone mason working on the Grosvenor Bridge in Chester. In about 1859, he carved pink sandstone into the 8 feet tall elephant with a castle howdah that is now on a garden wall.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Arizona police shoot a driver who ran over cyclists, leaving 6 in a critical condition.

"A man in a pick-up truck drove into cyclists taking part in a charity bike ride in Arizona, leaving six of them in a critical condition.

The incident happened at about 07:25 (14:25 GMT) in Show Low, a city about 180 miles north-east of Phoenix.

Police said the suspect, described as a 35-year-old white male, fled the scene and was pursued by officers.

Police then shot him behind a hardware store over a mile away, leaving him in a critical but stable condition."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57542454

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Must be a good few years since I saw that
Excellent

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Must be a good few years since I saw that
Excellent
It's on one of our regular cycling routes. I used to see it as child when we'd bike up there but had forgotten all about it until you mentioned it! :D

Every time we went past the turning for it I'd think 'We need to go along there because something I like is nearby!' but I'd only notice at the last minute when we were well on way.

Spent a lot of time up there as a kid, enjoying it again now!

bugmum

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I was up at 5.15 am today to take the Junior Medic to Newton Abbot racecourse so that he could participate in the Dartmoor Classic for the second time. Grey, drizzly and foggy down the A380 - not great conditions. However, I am quite proud to report that he finished his 108 miles in just over 6 hours, coming in 5th in his class, and if he hadn't suffered a puncture and lost ten minutes, he'd have been 2nd. (And as he said, if he'd been that close to the guy in front, there may have been an actual race! Competitive? Oh yes.). This is also the first time he's taken his 'best' racing bike out in wet weather, so I expect he's got her back home, wrapped up in a blanket after a thorough bath. :chuckle:

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
Brother dearest starts his Land's End to John O'Groats cycle ride this week. Apparently the prevailing winds are more conducive in that direction. It's a group event, about 20 riders all told. 14 days at an average of 70 miles per day, with no rest days. Fair play to him - I'm knackered just typing that out.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)