• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Déjà Vu Over The Recovered Klimt Painting

paganfrog

Junior Acolyte
When I read about the Klimt Painting being found I felt I had seen something similar to this before. Then I read the article and it went on the speak about the painting being found in a hidden compartment in the wall thats part of the Gallery property.
I am so sure Ive read and seen similar photos about a missing art peice found in this same way before in the last 20 years.
Im not sure what else to say about this, but is anyone else feeling the same deja vu?

When I read about the Klimt Painting being found I felt I had seen something similar to this before. Then I read the article and it went on the speak about the painting being found in a hidden compartment in the wall thats part of the Gallery property.
I am so sure Ive read and seen similar photos about a missing art peice found in this same way before in the last 20 years.
Im not sure what else to say about this, but is anyone else feeling the same deja vu?

While I know of no similar case in real life (not that I'm particularly knowledgeable, mind you) there is an episode of Jonathan Creek with this plot line.

... I am so sure Ive read and seen similar photos about a missing art peice found in this same way before in the last 20 years.

Paganfrog: Can you be more specific about which feature(s) in the Klimt story may be triggering the deja vu? Is it the finding of the painting in a wall cavity? Finding it on the grounds of the museum from which it was believed stolen? Finding it abandoned? Or ... ?

That's really the opposite of deja vu.

I'll be very interested in the results of examining the painting they found in the wall cavity / storage niche. Having now refreshed my memory about this case, I recalled something about the scene's evidence that seemed odd to me years ago. One explanation I tended to like for the scene's evidence would be quite consistent with the newly-found painting being a forgery.

It shouldn't be difficult to determine if the newly-found painting is a forgery. Klimt painted this piece over an earlier portrait of another young woman (sometimes alleged to be his lover or mistress) who unexpectedly died. This over-painting was demonstrated by X-ray analysis years ago (prior to the theft).

I'll be very interested in the results of examining the painting they found in the wall cavity / storage niche. Having now refreshed my memory about this case, I recalled something about the scene's evidence that seemed odd to me years ago. One explanation I tended to like for the scene's evidence would be quite consistent with the newly-found painting being a forgery. ... .

Update ... I can forget that speculative theory - the found painting has been verified as the stolen original..
Portrait of a Lady: Painting found in wall confirmed as stolen Klimt

A painting discovered by chance last month is a Gustav Klimt original that was stolen nearly 23 years ago, Italian authorities have confirmed.

The painting, Portrait of a Lady, was taken from a gallery in the northern city of Piacenza in 1997.

It was thought to have disappeared for good until gardeners clearing away ivy found it concealed in an external wall at the same gallery.

The Klimt has an estimated value of at least €60m ($66m; £51m).

Why the painting was left in the wall at the Ricci Oddi Gallery of Modern Art is still a mystery.

"It is with no small emotion that I can tell you the work is authentic," said Prosecutor Ornella Chicca.

She said further tests would clarify whether the painting had been inside the wall space ever since it was stolen, or if it was placed there later. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51156682

Back