• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dagon Priest Images On U.K. Building?

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
I gave my FT collection away a couple of years ago and I really want to check a reader's letter in a back issue. He said he saw an incongruous relief of Dagon Priests in fish Rainments on a large Library or Municipal building (UK) and I wondered if some-one could tell me where ?

Oannes(1).jpg

Thanks for the clarification. I originally thought you'd posted the image you were seeking.

It seems such an interesting thread - has anyone got any knowledge outside of Google? The obvious visual connection suggests a town known as a fishing port. Pevsner would know!

I gave my FT collection away a couple of years ago and I really want to check a reader's letter in a back issue. He said he saw an incongruous relief of Dagon Priests in fish Rainments on a large Library or Municipal building (UK) and I wondered if some-one could tell me where ?

View attachment 13654

Could this be in Cromer? They worship Dagon there and have long interbred with The Deep Ones.

Could this be in Cromer? They worship Dagon there and have long interbred with The Deep Ones.

Could any Cromerians have a look at their Library (big building full of wordy books and 'Characters' trying to keep warm) and tell me if there any Dagon or Oannes-related decor please ? I'm was rather suspecting Bristol or Liverpool.

The image is of the Sumerian culture hero Oannes, who was a fish person who came from the sea and taught humanity all about agriculture and early technologies. He may well have been a visiting fisherman. This isn't Dagon, who is a Phonecian deity of agriculture and fertility. The whole fish thing is likely a mis-translation. Sorry Lovecraft Fans, you'll have to be satisfied with Oannes, who is deep one enough for all of us.

The image is of the Sumerian culture hero Oannes, who was a fish person who came from the sea and taught humanity all about agriculture and early technologies. He may well have been a visiting fisherman. This isn't Dagon, who is a Phonecian deity of agriculture and fertility. The whole fish thing is likely a mis-translation. Sorry Lovecraft Fans, you'll have to be satisfied with Oannes, who is deep one enough for all of us.

Oannes? He'll do. Obviously an amphibious alien.

I have a feeling that I remember the letter in question. However, it's also in my head that someone pointed out that the apparent fish shape was - or could easily have been - a visual misreading of a carved image of a bishop wearing a mitre. (If you look at the third figure from the left in the image in the original post you can see how that mistake might happen - especially if age and weathering has blurred the lines somewhat.)

The image I posted and the Assyrian relief from the Pergamon Museum (thanks EnolaGaia) shows two men in fish-suits (carrying a handbag). With absolutely no reflection on you Spookdaddy, some-one always points out the internet fact of a Bishop's mitre being modelled on a cod's head due to cultural appropriation by the Vatican. However, I have no idea what was on the frieze on the unknown Building I'm trying to track - that could be a badly carved bishop. Does anyone have 3 year old back issues of FT (readers letters) ? Has anyone seen men in fish-suits acting in an official capacity ?

The image I posted and the Assyrian relief from the Pergamon Museum (thanks EnolaGaia) shows two men in fish-suits (carrying a handbag). With absolutely no reflection on you Spookdaddy, some-one always points out the internet fact of a Bishop's mitre being modelled on a cod's head due to cultural appropriation by the Vatican...

Yes, I've seen that suggestion, as you say, proposed as fact. But I wasn't suggesting a direct link in that way - just a visual similarity.

Oannes depicted on a wall frieze of the former Headquarters of the world renowned Mitchell Construction Company, now a Peterborough City Council building. No idea if this is the building I was looking for.

Oannes,_half_man_half_fish,_Bridge_House.jpgBridge_House,_Peterborough.jpg

Oannes depicted on a wall frieze of the former Headquarters of the world renowned Mitchell Construction Company, now a Peterborough City Council building. No idea if this is the building I was looking for.

View attachment 15316View attachment 15317
I remember that! Used to drive past it frequently.
That building has been demolished.
Here it is in 2010:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5...2bXjw34-QiVrTcwMOv4Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
And now:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5...XAWmSO36Dy2rGfqZFAkw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Oh that's just marvellous - Google finally coughs up a picture of Oannes on a wall (Minerva too) but it's 10 years old and the wall doesn't exist anymore, because Peterborough Council want to build a new 'Eco Village'. They did promise in 2012 that the Bridge House mural would be dismantled and stored until a building could be found big enough to display it (not everyone believed them).
Many thanks for the updated pics Myth, the posters for Fletton Quays was the clue - last year the scaffolding at the Fletton Quays re-development was removed for a short while to allow photos of the newly installed frieze, and then covered up again.
Live in hope of seeing it one day.

Fletton_Quay.jpg

Oh that's just marvellous - Google finally coughs up a picture of Oannes on a wall (Minerva too) but it's 10 years old and the wall doesn't exist anymore, because Peterborough Council want to build a new 'Eco Village'. They did promise in 2012 that the Bridge House mural would be dismantled and stored until a building could be found big enough to display it (not everyone believed them).
Many thanks for the updated pics Myth, the posters for Fletton Quays was the clue - last year the scaffolding at the Fletton Quays re-development was removed for a short while to allow photos of the newly installed frieze, and then covered up again.
Live in hope of seeing it one day.

View attachment 15338
At least you can be sure it is well kept.

Back