• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dancing On Graves

Picnics and vodka in graveyards might not have shocked the Greeks. But some of the drink, at least, should have been offered as a libation to the departed by pouring it on the ground. :)

Re: Life on Mars II: Buffy Redux

H_James said:
When I was a kid, one of my favourite haunts was the graveyard - we used to hang out there and drink vodka. :oops:

I hear that that tends to get winked at by the authorities - on the grounds that if a group of people are doing nothing worse in the cemetery by night than sitting around and drinking beer (or vodka) and talking, true graveyard vandals aren't going to show up.

PS. Just so long, of course, as none of them are caught smoking. Then it's hard time in the big stone building. The vandals can wave at the caged smokers as they pass by on their way to freedom.

Daftbugger1 said:
beakboo said:
Never mind dancing on graves though, I'll never forget the state of Jim Morrison's grave in Père Lachaise, and more importantly, the graves surrounding it. :(
Really? I have pictures of it somewhere from April 1994 and it was fine then. People had scribbled out the directions to it though
Tis here

and another random one from the same graveyard I just had to post

Been today and the surrounding graves are untouched. You cannot actually get to the grave, it has barriers around it preventing access and a nearby tree appears to have taken the brunt of the graffiti.

Really 'cool' place, Pere Lachaise, although I don't think cool is the right word. Going to need several trips to do it justice but makes for a nice Sunday afternoon stroll.

As it looks in 2011:
189040_10150160422416352_579136351_8772206_7497016_n.jpg

The first time I saw a reference to dancing on ones grave is an episode of Northern Exposure, where Ruth Ann and Ed the Filmmaker dance on her "grave" as an expression of life...

I really liked this programme when it first aired on British television. I was young and the tone seemed to me both exotic and homely yet slightly eccentric and hence cool.

I'm sad to report that having watched the first episode again earlier this year, what seemed cool and zeitgeisty then is now 'of its time' (unless I'm misremembering and it was one of those programmes that steadily improves over time--like Star Trek: The Next Generation, for instance).

I enjoyed it. I liked it from the moment The Moose ambled down the street....

I'll add that the setting was supposedly modelled on Talkeetna, Alaska and I've since met and befriended a couple of Alaskans, one from Fairbanks and another from Anchorage. In U.S. terms, these places aren't a million miles from Talkeetna and although I couldn't say that my friends are typical, there is (and in one case, sadly, was) something of the exotically eccentric about them both.

How was it received Stateside?

In U.S. terms, these places aren't a million miles from Talkeetna and although I couldn't say that my friends are typical, there is (and in one case, sadly, was) something of the exotically eccentric about them both.

I wonder... it reminded me of parts of the scottish highlands. The eccentricity (by my standards) which everyone just buys into and isn't phased by. Mind you, I'm a total teuchter so what would I know :rollingw:

I used to love Northern Exposure and only missed one episode. ITV2 repeated it years later, so I watched it to fill that gap. It was one of the smuggest, most patronising programmes I had ever seen. I was baffled, it had not been so long since I enjoyed it so much. Funny what ages well and what doesn't. Disappointing, too.

This thread reminds me of an old joke:

An army drill sergeant is berating a private. “I bet you just hate my guts boy! I bet that years from now when I die, you’ll travel half way across the country just to piss on my grave!”

The private replies: “No sir! After I get out of the army I never want to stand in line again!”

Friend of mine says he wants a bottle of Famous Grouse poured over his grave and he does not mind it being recycled, a man of tast and imagination. God knows what he will do if I go first.

Friend of mine says he wants a bottle of Famous Grouse poured over his grave and he does not mind it being recycled, a man of tast and imagination. God knows what he will do if I go first.

He probably means filtered. Through the kidneys.

So... dancing on graves and also peeing on them.

Reactions: RaM
So... dancing on graves and also peeing on them.

From Robert Burns:-

Epitaph for Hugh Logan
Here lyes Squire Hugh - ye harlot crew,
Come mak' your water on him.
I'm sure that he weel pleas'd would be
To think ye pish'd upon him

Back