• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dangerous Dogs

It's so difficult. I'm still firmly of the opinion there's no such thing as an innately 'dangerous dog' (although those who are a greater mix of 'fighting' breeds may have 'tendencies'). With most dogs, training can overcome instinct, if the dog is bright enough. But the dog I have felt most at risk of attack from was my partner's labrador - who didn't like people and had a tendency to grab arms and also snap. He couldn't see it, because he'd got used to the behaviour.

I still believe the most dangerous dog is a working dog that isn't allowed to do what it was bred for, and is kept as a 'pet' and underexercised. Around here, the dog you have to watch out for most is either the husky kept in a yard, or a Border Collie.
There is no doubt that different breeds have different tendencies, and heredity is in play.

I've never been more astonished by - well, pretty much anything - than when our Taff - our first Welshie, who we had acquired in America, showed an innate ability to herd sheep - and I mean herd, as in guide them to a corner of a field and sit guard on them. He had never seen a sheep before, and like most terriers was generally aggressive towards small animals.

I would never trust any dog alone in a room with a small child, but some breeds - Welsh Terriers are one - can be very dangerous with babies/toddlers. They see them as rivals, being as it were one man - sorry - one person - dogs. Much as I loved my little Stan, he was potentially dangerous and had to be managed carefully. If he'd been a larger dog he'd have had to have been put down rather than rescued. He was never let off a lead off our own property. Visitors were warned, and children kept away.

I guess what I'm saying is that owning a dog is rather more difficult and imposes rather more responsibility on the owner than owning a cat.

Edit: Not all Welsh Terriers are as dangerous as Stan, although they are definitely not recommended for people who have small children and have never previously owned a dog. Stan was a damaged scared dog when we acquired him, and being a terrier his response to fright was to attack. Definitely a biter. I still have scars on my hands from our first months with him.

Last edited:
There is no doubt that different breeds have different tendencies, and heredity is in play.

I've never been more astonished by - well, pretty much anything - than when our Taff - our first Welshie, who we had acquired in America, showed an innate ability to herd sheep - and I mean herd, as in guide them to a corner of a field and sit guard on them. He had never seen a sheep before, and like most terriers was generally aggressive towards small animals.

I would never trust any dog alone in a room with a small child, but some breeds - Welsh Terriers are one - can be very dangerous with babies/toddlers. They see them as rivals, being as it were one man - sorry - one person - dogs. Much as I loved my little Stan, he was potentially dangerous and had to be managed carefully. If he'd been a larger dog he'd have had to have been put down rather than rescued. He was never let off a lead off our own property. Visitors were warned, and children kept away.

I guess what I'm saying is that owning a dog is rather more difficult and imposes rather more responsibility on the owner than owning a cat.
Yup, my much-loved JRT had to wear a muzzle when she was out after she started kicking off with other dogs. Not people, just dogs, and it was just facing up and barking.
She had the muzzle on during every walk for 6 months and it cured her.
I carried it with me just in case and would have it ready if she showed the slightest aggression.

Back