• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dangerous Dogs

Dog put down. Owner in jail for the same sentence handed out get for committing the assault yourself. Owner never allowed another dog. There, all sorted.

Someone around here had their dog attacked so badly it needed stitches. The other owner at first grudgingly admitted he was in the wrong for letting his dog off the lead, but clammed up and denied everything when he was presented with the vet's bill. The police didn't seem to be able to do anything about it.

Someone around here had their dog attacked so badly it needed stitches. The other owner at first grudgingly admitted he was in the wrong for letting his dog off the lead, but clammed up and denied everything when he was presented with the vet's bill. The police didn't seem to be able to do anything about it.
Strange that. I guess it's he-said, they said, although you think you could do a DNA test to prove what dog bit who. A civil case would probably win though. Does anyone know the law on this? Is the definition of 'a dog out of control' a bit vaguely worded?

Dog put down. Owner in jail for the same sentence handed out get for committing the assault yourself. Owner never allowed another dog. There, all sorted.
Too bad the law is an ass and won't pass a judgement that makes sense.

Got a fairly new book at the library, a comprehensive study of pits and staffies and dogs in society: Pit Bull by Bronwen Dickey, Knopf, 2016. Quite a lot of history of humans' inhumanity to dogs and humans' humanity to dogs. Outlines the flavor-of-the-month dog panics-- 60's German Shepherds, 70's Rotties & Dobes, current bully breeds, and bizarrely, a scare around Spitzes on the eastern seaboard in the 1890's. Explores nature vs nurture; explodes the "nanny dog" myths. As I said, it's comprehensive--it's a big book, 273 pages excluding the notes, but I couldn't put it down. In fact, I reread it after a week. It's not perfect, she jumps to some conclusions, but it's a riveting and compassionate book.

Man dies after attack by seized dog in Huddersfield

A dog previously seized by police over fears it was dangerous has attacked and killed a man days after being returned to its owner.
It is thought David Ellam, 52, was trying to protect his own Yorkshire Terrier when the larger dog turned on him.

Police had seized the dog in June on suspicion it was a banned pit bull breed, but returned it on Wednesday.
A man, 29, thought to be the dog's owner has been arrested and bailed.

Mr Ellam suffered bites to his body on Riddings Road in the Sheepridge area of Huddersfield on Monday morning and was later pronounced dead in hospital.
Det Ch Insp Mark Swift, from West Yorkshire Police, said: "We believe that the victim was out with his own dog at the time of the attack near to his home address.
"His dog, a Yorkshire Terrier, was also injured during the incident and received emergency veterinary care."
The dog has since been returned from the vets.

Police said the larger dog was caught in a nearby garden and taken to kennels.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission said the matter had been referred to them by the force.

Carol Hanson, a friend of Mr Ellam, said: "We're lost for words, just devastated.
"It had only been out for five days, why did they let that dog back out, why did they let it go when it was vicious?"

Last week, a BBC investigation on the 25th anniversary of the Dangerous Dogs Act found 7,000 dogs had been put in kennels by police over the past five years.
West Yorkshire Police spent more than £550,000 on kennelling dogs over the same time period, with only the Greater Manchester and Merseyside forces spending more.

Speaking to the BBC following the man's death Caroline Kisko, from the Kennel Club, said she believed the act was "completely flawed".
She said the legislation had led to people "being fooled into thinking that just the way a dog looks defines its behaviour".
"The problem is that we've been given the idea that we are all secure because the Dangerous Dogs Act has vilified a certain type of dog and therefore, as long as they're illegal, we're all safe," she said.
"Any dog can be dangerous if it is wrongly handled and wrongly trained."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-37094526

Got a fairly new book at the library, a comprehensive study of pits and staffies and dogs in society: Pit Bull by Bronwen Dickey, Knopf, 2016. Quite a lot of history of humans' inhumanity to dogs and humans' humanity to dogs. Outlines the flavor-of-the-month dog panics-- 60's German Shepherds, 70's Rotties & Dobes, current bully breeds, and bizarrely, a scare around Spitzes on the eastern seaboard in the 1890's. Explores nature vs nurture; explodes the "nanny dog" myths. As I said, it's comprehensive--it's a big book, 273 pages excluding the notes, but I couldn't put it down. In fact, I reread it after a week. It's not perfect, she jumps to some conclusions, but it's a riveting and compassionate book.

Sounds interesting - will look out for it.

My own take on this is that I wouldn't want a dog that was physically stronger than me. I'd want to feel confident that if it came to it I would always come off best in a conflict. Where a dog is physically able to do a human serious harm then the risk will always be there, no matter how amiable the creature is day to day. Ultimately I suspect it is this which is behind the current wariness of bull-type breeds and that of other large powerful dogs in the past.

I do wish people would stop blaming the breed of dog, though. First, its impossible to ban a breed, someone will simply create a mongrel with similar characteristics, and second even 'aggressive' breeds need an irresponsible owner as well before they are in a position to do damage.

I do wish people would stop blaming the breed of dog, though.
I think the law now prescribes what dogs are considered 'dangerous'. That article refers to a recent story where the Police had to release a dog because it wasn't on the Dangerous Dogs list; a short while later it killed a man.

I think the law now prescribes what dogs are considered 'dangerous'. That article refers to a recent story where the Police had to release a dog because it wasn't on the Dangerous Dogs list; a short while later it killed a man.

Which kind of illustrates the point. You can have a dangerous dog of almost any breed if it is either trained to be aggressive or is abused enough. Even a chihuahua (?sp) could do a lot of harm to a baby or a 3 year old.

Which kind of illustrates the point. You can have a dangerous dog of almost any breed if it is either trained to be aggressive or is abused enough. Even a chihuahua (?sp) could do a lot of harm to a baby or a 3 year old.

It could, but it's rather less likely than a staffie to tear a child's face off.

It's not all about the breed, but dogs bred to fight are more likely to be problematic. And it's pretty clear that certain breeds are over-represented in dog attacks.

Last edited:
It could, but it's rather less likely than a staffie a child's face off.

It's not all about the breed, but dogs bred to fight are more likely to be problematic. And it's pretty clear that certain breeds are over-represented in dog attacks.

I'd argue that's because of the kind of people that tend to own them rather than the breed itself. Of course the size of the dog is related to the amount of harm it can do, but that's just more reason for owners of large or strong breeds to take care. A Collie if not kept properly can kill, even if they do look like Lassie. In fact they are more likely to than some breeds, because they are highly intelligent and need mental stimulation as well as lots of exercise, otherwise they get bored and aggressive. Some of the working Collie breeders round here will not sell their dogs as house pets for precisely that reason.

I'd argue that's because of the kind of people that tend to own them rather than the breed itself. Of course the size of the dog is related to the amount of harm it can do, but that's just more reason for owners of large or strong breeds to take care. A Collie if not kept properly can kill, even if they do look like Lassie. In fact they are more likely to than some breeds, because they are highly intelligent and need mental stimulation as well as lots of exercise, otherwise they get bored and aggressive. Some of the working Collie breeders round here will not sell their dogs as house pets for precisely that reason.

Yeah - collies are clearly working dogs and probably not suited to be house pets unless they have access to a lot of land etc to run around in. They're also highly intelligent dogs who get bored easily.

One of the unfortunate things about staffies is that they make up 90% plus of the dogs in shelters - largely, as you say, because of the type of people who often own them - and people are understandably wary of taking them on. When my parents went to get a dog a few years ago there was literally nothing else so they ended up buying a Labrador cross puppy from a breeder.

My favourite breed - Welsh terriers - can be a problem. They don't like rivals, so you have to be careful with young children. And again they are intelligent - they actually were bred for tiny hill farms that could only afford one dog, so they had to be ratters and sheepdogs as well. They are quite a rare breed now, but there are some in shelters that will never get re-homed, because mistreatment has turned them vicious. My current one - young Stanley - was a biter when I got him - I've still got some scars on my hands from his early days. He's calm enough now but I'd never let him off the lead in a public place or let children play with him unsupervised.

Why would I take on a vicious dog? Because we create dogs, more so than any other animal, and as it is human mistreatment that had turned him vicious its down to a human to remedy the situation. He now rolls over to have his tummy rubbed rather than trying to savage people. You can only take the risk with a small dog, though. Getting your hand bitten is one thing, having your throat torn out quite another! I'm not sure I'd risk a Staffie because they are so strong.

Welshies look very cuddly - like teddy bears - so I'm afraid unscrupulous breeders sell them to people who have no idea what they are taking on.

I love them. They run like the wind - faster than much bigger dogs - and are full of mischief.

Colchester dog attack: Baby killed and child seriously injured

A baby boy has died and another child is seriously injured after a dog attack in Colchester, Essex.
The dog attacked three people including the two young children, the surviving child was left with "life-changing injuries", Essex Police said.

Officers were called to the junction of Tara Close and Harwich Road at 15:10 BST on Thursday following reports someone had been bitten by a dog.
Police said the animal involved had been "recovered".
A woman was also taken to hospital with minor injuries after being bitten.

Ch Insp Elliot Judge said: "This is a tragic incident that Essex Police is investigating. Specially trained officers are providing support to the family at this difficult time."

Speaking after the incident on Thursday afternoon, one neighbour, who wanted to be known only as Rachel, said: "It's quite scary especially when it's on your doorstep.
"I feel really sorry and my heart goes out to the people involved in it."

The scene remains cordoned off.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37653137

Horrified onlookers watch on as a pack of hounds 'attack' a pet dog and its owners on Cornwall beach
By CGMikeS | Posted: January 15, 2017

Horrified onlookers watched on as a pack of out-of-control hounds on a hunt attacked a pet dog and its owners who were enjoying a walk on a West Cornwall beach.
The hunt rode onto Gunwalloe Beach to take their horses into the sea for a dip at around 3.30pm on Saturday afternoon.

But instead of going into the sea the pack of dogs appeared to huddle together unsupervised on the beach, before a commotion broke out and the hounds began chasing something.
It's not currently known which hunting group was on the beach.

Witness Julian Parrott, of Helston, said: "We could hear the hounds baying as if for blood.
"We saw a greyhound running for its life on the beach being pursued by the pack of hounds, with inept efforts by the huntsmen to keep them under control."

The beach was busy with walkers and families enjoying the sunny afternoon, but the mood quickly changed.
One of the hunters reportedly dismounted his horse and ran towards the dogs, in an attempt to stop them attacking the pet.

Meanwhile the dog's owners, an elderly couple who did not wish to be named, were also attempting to save their pet from the pack.
According to onlookers, the couple managed to grab the dog, but the hounds continued to attack.

Another witness said: "It was a horrifying scene, the man attempted to fight off the hounds with his wife's walking stick and was bitten several times on his hand and arm during the incident. His dog was bitten on the back.

"One of the hunters attempted to brandish a stick at the dogs to put them off, but was unable to prevent them mauling the pet and its owners."This was an incident where the hounds' bloodlust was out of control. It was shocking to see and I couldn't believe that they took the hunt on to a public beach where families were walking.
"That could just have easily have been a child."

One of the huntsmen apparently apologised to the shocked and distressed couple, before they left to go to hospital to get their injuries checked.

http://www.cornwalllive.com/horrifi...d-its-owners/story-30059394-detail/story.html

Gunwalloe is a couple of miles SE of Porthleven.

Horrified onlookers watch on as a pack of hounds 'attack' a pet dog and its owners on Cornwall beach
By CGMikeS | Posted: January 15, 2017

Horrified onlookers watched on as a pack of out-of-control hounds on a hunt attacked a pet dog and its owners who were enjoying a walk on a West Cornwall beach.
The hunt rode onto Gunwalloe Beach to take their horses into the sea for a dip at around 3.30pm on Saturday afternoon.

But instead of going into the sea the pack of dogs appeared to huddle together unsupervised on the beach, before a commotion broke out and the hounds began chasing something.
It's not currently known which hunting group was on the beach.

Witness Julian Parrott, of Helston, said: "We could hear the hounds baying as if for blood.
"We saw a greyhound running for its life on the beach being pursued by the pack of hounds, with inept efforts by the huntsmen to keep them under control."

The beach was busy with walkers and families enjoying the sunny afternoon, but the mood quickly changed.
One of the hunters reportedly dismounted his horse and ran towards the dogs, in an attempt to stop them attacking the pet.

Meanwhile the dog's owners, an elderly couple who did not wish to be named, were also attempting to save their pet from the pack.
According to onlookers, the couple managed to grab the dog, but the hounds continued to attack.

Another witness said: "It was a horrifying scene, the man attempted to fight off the hounds with his wife's walking stick and was bitten several times on his hand and arm during the incident. His dog was bitten on the back.

"One of the hunters attempted to brandish a stick at the dogs to put them off, but was unable to prevent them mauling the pet and its owners."This was an incident where the hounds' bloodlust was out of control. It was shocking to see and I couldn't believe that they took the hunt on to a public beach where families were walking.
"That could just have easily have been a child."

One of the huntsmen apparently apologised to the shocked and distressed couple, before they left to go to hospital to get their injuries checked.

http://www.cornwalllive.com/horrifi...d-its-owners/story-30059394-detail/story.html

Gunwalloe is a couple of miles SE of Porthleven.
Technically then, the hunt were not in control of their dogs and they should be facing charges. Why aren't they?

You missed out 'spineless pricks who enjoy watching one type of animal rip another type of animal apart but frankly couldn't give a shit about either, or the low-born who may get in the way.'

There can't be many hunts in the area, so it shouldn't be hard to track them down, and it sounds like there were plenty of witnesses if Plod wants to prosecute...

You missed out 'spineless pricks who enjoy watching one type of animal rip another type of animal apart but frankly couldn't give a shit about either, or the low-born who may get in the way.'
It was implied...bunch of Cnuts the lot of them.

Police appeal after couple are allegedly attacked by hunt hounds on Gunwalloe beach in Cornwall
By G_WIlkinson | Posted: January 16, 2017

The police have appealed for the victim of an alleged attack by hounds on a beach in Cornwall at the weekend to come forward.
It follows an account by shocked eye-witnesses of a pack of hunt hounds apparently running out of control and chasing another dog on a beach at Gunwalloe, near Helston on Saturday.

Officers have now said they want to talk to an elderly couple who appear to have been set upon by the hounds as they attempted to shelter their own pet. Any witnesses to the alleged incident are also urged to contact the police.

The couple were walking their greyhound dog at around 3.30pm. Witness Julian Parrott, of Helston, said: "We could hear the hounds baying as if for blood.

It's not currently known which hunting group was on the beach. When the greyhound was safely scooped up by its owners, the hounds are reported to have attacked the couple and bitten the man on the arm.

A spokesman for the police said: "Police have received a report alleging a disturbance linked to a possible hunt on Gunwalloe Beach, Helston, that took place on Saturday January 14.
"At this time no victim has come forward to the police to firm up this initial allegation. Any witnesses are asked to contact Devon and Cornwall police quoting log 242 for the 14th of January."

http://www.cornwalllive.com/police-...-in-cornwall/story-30061482-detail/story.html

The beeb has finally got this story, and new details emerge:
Pack of hunting hounds 'attack pet dog' on Cornish beach
17 January 2017

A pack of hunting hounds chased a pet dog across a Cornish beach before attacking it and its owner.
A walker said he saw around 40 hounds chasing after a greyhound type dog at Gunwalloe Beach, Cornwall.
The owner of the dog was bitten several times when he intervened, the eyewitness said.

A spokesperson for the Cury Hunt said a representative had visited the dog owner the next day, adding: "We very much regret the incident."

Julian Parrott said the elderly owner "bravely grabbed the dog" who had got "five or 10 metres ahead of the pack".
"The dog was bitten on its back a few times, and the owner was bitten several times. He had his blood all over him and his wife."

Judy Glover, also on the beach, said: "I don't think they should take the hounds on the beach when there are people with dogs and children."

The National Trust said the hunt was "licensed to enter our land for the purposes of trail hunting and exercising hounds over a restricted area and on restricted days".

A Cury Hunt spokesman said: "Some of the riders went down to the beach to wash their horses off in the sea. Unfortunately, while paddling with the horses, one horse spooked, careered through the others and kicked a hound.
"This hound then ran across the beach with some of the others across the path of a dog. An altercation then took place.

"The couple involved were spoken with at the time and were visited by a hunt representative the next day. The dog was checked and cleared as fit and well by their vet. We very much regret the incident."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-38635389

National Trust to review hunt license
Johnny O'Shea
BBC News Online

The Cury Hunt has agreed not to meet on National Trust land for the rest of this hunting season, following an incident in which its hounds attacked a pet dog.
It happened at Gunwalloe Beach in west Cornwall on Saturday afternoon. The hunt had been trail hunting nearby and took the hounds and horses to the beach to cool off.
The National Trust has an agreement to allow trail hunting on restricted areas that has been in place since it took over the Penrose Estate.

In a statement the National Trust said: "Following a meeting between representatives of the National Trust and the hunt, the hunt has agreed to not meet again for the duration of this season on land owned by the National Trust.
"As with previous years, the license will be subject to review this year."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-devon-38595554

Yer know, I'd take that explanation with a shovel full of salt. Those Hunters are usually bomb proof - they have to be, no one wants to be gating and fencing on a horse that shies or baulks at its own shadow.

I reckon the hounds were still pumped and the master lost control...or else some dickhead thought that it would be funny to sool the pack onto a single dog.

Yer know, I'd take that explanation with a shovel full of salt. Those Hunters are usually bomb proof - they have to be, no one wants to be gating and fencing on a horse that shies or baulks at its own shadow.

I reckon the hounds were still pumped and the master lost control...or else some dickhead thought that it would be funny to sool the pack onto a single dog.
Fine line between a 'fox' and a 'domestic dog'.

When fox-hunting was banned, I was ambivalent about it. I didn't much care about the small cruelty on a few foxes when there were much larger issues that needed fixing. I've since changed my views completely and would if I could outlaw any sport that involved a pack of dogs being ranged through open countryside, literally roughshod over anyone or anything in the way. It's a dreadful hang-over from feudalism and is practised by the privileged with scant regard for anyone else. It's hardly the behaviour of a civilised nation or civilised people.

They do need permission. Which in this case is being withdrawn. They have no more right than anyone else to enter someone's property without clearance from the owner.

They do need permission. Which in this case is being withdrawn. They have no more right than anyone else to enter someone's property without clearance from the owner.
Indeed. But I have to pick up my dog's crap, but when the local hunt pack is exercised down my lane, no-one has to pick all that shit up for some reason.

Escaped dogs attack pensioner in Torpoint and kill his small dog
By C_Becquart | Posted: February 10, 2017

A dog was killed and its elderly owner injured after two other dogs reportedly escaped in Torpoint and attacked them.
Torpoint police said yesterday that an incident involving two dogs took place in the morning. Officers confirmed on Facebook that they dealt with two dogs that were "roaming the town" and said both dogs are back with their owner.

On Thursday morning, between 9am and 11am, the two American bulldogs ran loose and hospitalised a man reportedly recovering from a heart bypass – killing his own dog in the process.
A spokesman from Liskeard police said: "Both dogs escaped from a premises on Albion Road in Torpoint causing fatal injuries to a dog. Its owner sustained injuries to both hands."

After the incident Torpoint police posted a statement on its Facebook page to reassure residents about the attack, but it failed to address concerns of locals.
A Facebook user wrote: "So lets get this right..... The dogs which attacked and killed a little dog being walked (on a lead) by a responsible elderly gentleman recovering from a heart attack who was also attacked in the incident, have been returned to their irresponsible owner...... ? " :eek:

A Torpoint woman said her father is the man mentioned in the comments and that he is currently in hospital.
She wrote: "Dad is OK, more devastated about his dog than concerned about his own injuries. His dog was his life and really helped to get him outdoors after his heart bypass, not sure how he'll cope without him. He was powerless to do anything to save him."

In a new statement by the community's policing team, officers have moved to reassure residents the investigation is ongoing.
PC Wooldridge, the officer for the area, said she understood people's concerns as it was not the first time incidents involving those dogs had taken place. :rolleyes:
She wrote: "I can clarify with you that the dogs were checked out yesterday and I can confirm these dogs are NOT a dangerous breed under the dangerous dog act 1991. Our enquires are still on going with the matter."

On their Facebook page, police insisted later that, although the incident is traumatic, every person involved should be respected.
They wrote: "Followers and friends,
"We have seen your comments. Sadly, some have not been helpful and some have clearly crossed the mark.
All of us involved in this incident have dogs. This clearly has been a traumatic time for all. Our thoughts are with those all affected.
"We constantly work with other agencies and are fully aware of the Dogs Act. Veiled threats, talk of vigilante acts and name shaming do not make our investigation any easier. Please respect all the persons involved.
"The dogs have been taken away, back to the breeders and will not be in Torpoint again. A lot has gone on behind the scenes and our investigation continues.

"This Facebook page was set up to be used and has been used to great effect in the past as a tool to update, inform and reassure members of this community. It will continue.
"Mr Julian Morris the Sector Inspector is fully aware and has given me permission to delete/hide any comments deemed inappropriate on this page. I am particularly upset when comments become critical about my colleagues. I have all the comments recorded.
"We work together as best we can, you are part of this community. We often rely upon and need your help. Constructive criticism is welcome and we are always working at improving our service to the public.

"The earlier feeds will now be closed for further comments. If you have any concerns please contact us on 101.
"Thank you for reading this, your support and understanding is appreciated."

The Liskeard officer stressed that the investigation into the incident is ongoing.
He said: "Both dogs have been seen by a police dog handler. We can't say too much at the moment.
"People that use Facebook need to know they cannot comment whatever they want on the social network, especially as it is quite an emotive story."

http://www.cornwalllive.com/escaped...is-small-dog/story-30126653-detail/story.html

Seems that this was not the police's finest moment...

Back