• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dangerous Play (Playgrounds; Carnivals; Amusement Parks; Etc.)

I think they can only afford regular inspections and maintenance rather than outright replacing.

Sir Hiram Maxims Captive Flying Machine is the oldest amusement park ride in Europe having opened in August 1904
After that he concentrated on building machine guns for WW1
The big Dipper is about 100 years old and the Grand National about 90.
It's the newer stuff that tends to cause problems.

I think they can only afford regular inspections and maintenance rather than outright replacing.
And that is kind of my thought when @MorningAngel was asking why there seems to be more incidents of accidents. There are probably more incidents because the attractions are coming to the point at which the regular inspections and maintenance are not quite what is needed.

Eventually everything needs to be replaced, or is shut down. I'm just speculating that many of these theme parks may be coming to that point. I'm guessing that many of them are close in age.

In Scargy's day, a fence was enough to stop kids playing on the lines. Nowadays, it's considered a hinderance in 'my rights to go wherever I want' and the illusion of personal responsibility and telling folks what to do!
Yup, I've noticed how many more huge metal fences are currently being built around the railways. While they are officially part of anti-trespass measures, staff call them 'suicide barriers'.

Railway trespassing, whether it's down to fun, vandalism/graffiti, theft, drunkenness, intentions of self-harm or whatever, causes huge disruption and expense. Seems it's finally dawned on Network Rail that shelling out to stop people getting on the tracks in the first place is an investment.

Wisconsin: Riders trapped upside down for hours on rollercoaster

Imagine being stuck upside down at that height for 2 hours, 3 hours `+ for some. Hopefully no-one needed a toilet..
Eight passengers were safely rescued after the malfunction at the Forest County Festival.

Emergency services said they were called at 13:35 local time (18:30 GMT), with the first person rescued reaching the ground at 15:20 and the last at 17:01.
Video at link.
1688558761635.png

Definitely, he saved the day.
Bizarre that no member of staff spotted it.
When I watched the video, the crack is easily seen. The article states that each ride undergoes safety inspections daily. Someone obviously didn’t look up. I don’t understand why the person operating the ride didn’t stop it immediately. There should have been no hesitation.

There's 'safety' inspections and then there's safety inspections. The latter requires a person to either climb up and physically examine conditions close up. Or using high power binoculars, I suppose. The former, however, is far easier for the 'inspector' because he can just look up, mutter to himself "Yep - looks okay" then ticks the inspection report.
I'm probably slandering the entire inspection routine, but if you consider the time a full inspection takes (by the ride operator) and the number of rides most places have, then I can imagine short-cuts infiltrating.

Playground Sign Outlaws 'Loitering at Slide Entry or Exit'

"Welcome! Play Safe," reads the sign at a Fairfax County Public School playground in Virginia, just outside of Washington, D.C. The sign also lists a few simple rules — 21 of them, by my count.

First off, the playground should never be used when it is frozen. Or wet.

There can be no climbing on things like the safety rails (which are basically just fences). Kids must not wear any clothing with drawstrings, hoods, or toggles while they are playing, because these items could get caught on something. (Ponytails seem grandmothered in.)

On the slide, children must "take turns," "sit in an upright position," and "not climb." There also must be "no loitering at slide entry or exit."

playground-rules-sign-fairfax.png

Loiter not, little ones!

"This is literally a playground that's for 2- to 5-year-olds," says Katie Courtney, a 32-year-old mom of four who brought the sign to my attention. The slide, she says, is "about as tall as an adult."

Nonetheless, when a child gets up to the top of the slide, legally they must hustle their butt right down.

https://reason.com/2023/08/26/playground-sign-outlaws-loitering-at-slide-entry-or-exit/

:headbang:

maximus otter

"Welcome! Play Safe," reads the sign at a Fairfax County Public School playground in Virginia, just outside of Washington, D.C. The sign also lists a few simple rules — 21 of them, by my count.

There can be no climbing on things like the safety rails (which are basically just fences). Kids must not wear any clothing with drawstrings, hoods, or toggles while they are playing, because these items could get caught on something. (Ponytails seem grandmothered in.)

On the slide, children must "take turns," "sit in an upright position," and "not climb." There also must be "no loitering at slide entry or exit."

Loiter not, little ones!

"This is literally a playground that's for 2- to 5-year-olds," says Katie Courtney, a 32-year-old mom of four who brought the sign to my attention. The slide, she says, is "about as tall as an adult."

Nonetheless, when a child gets up to the top of the slide, legally they must hustle their butt right down.

https://reason.com/2023/08/26/playground-sign-outlaws-loitering-at-slide-entry-or-exit/

maximus otter

They left off 'All firearms must be left at the playground entrance' rule. :)

Parents can ... and they're the ones who can be scared for the safety of their little darlings.

Man Who Reported Crack In Roller Coaster Says He Received Concerning Response From Staff

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/carowinds-roller-coaster-shut-down_n_64a3fbb5e4b0035bc5c905c5
:omg:

That's not the 'crack' I'd expected to see. It's huge.

If I'd been there and saw that and the staff had ignored me, you can bet I'd be running around pointing to it and shouting 'Look at that! Look at that! It's not safe! Don't go on it!'

The crack'd be on Tiktok in minutes, complete with live action coverage of me dragged off by Security.
True fame. :nods:

Loiter not, little ones!

maximus otter

Good move, so the litigious lil money grabbing gits, AKA parents, cant sue the school or council for tons of money. Are kids wussers nowadays? We used to fly, drop and bounce off of stuff all the time, no wood chips under us, concrete all the way.

Actually, that might explain alot of us on here :p

Good move, so the litigious lil money grabbing gits, AKA parents, cant sue the school or council for tons of money. Are kids wussers nowadays? We used to fly, drop and bounce off of stuff all the time, no wood chips under us, concrete all the way.

Actually, that might explain alot of us on here :p
Concrete - how common. We had asphalt.

Sorry just seen this, why did none of them pass out especially being upside down for that long, they could have put pressure on the crack even more, best to bring them down surely?
The upside down one is a different incident to the cracked one I think.

As regards getting the upside down ones down, I guess they had to get some sort of extending cherry picker in which must’ve taken a bit of time to get there. I’m assuming they did it as quick as they could.

I’ve never been upside down that long to know what the effects might be. I know you wouldn’t want a toilet incident though.

And now in Canada. Vid at link.

Passengers left upside down as ride malfunctions in Canada​

Passengers were left hanging upside down for almost 30 minutes, after an amusement park ride broke down in Vaughan, in Ontario, Canada.

Footage from TikTok shows the malfunctioning ride inverted with riders still on board, as people look on in shock from the ground.

The park's maintenance team responded to the incident and managed to bring all passengers down and assessed by first aid staff. Local media reported that two guests complained of chest pains before being released without any need for further medical attention.

The ride remains closed and an investigation is now under way.
  • Published 5 hours ago
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-66910324

Back