• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dangerous Play (Playgrounds; Carnivals; Amusement Parks; Etc.)

The park beside my house ( which I played in when I was wee having not moved very far!), used to have as its 'main attraction' a steamroller.

This isn't some long forgotten play equipment - there used to be a genuine, ancient steam roller sitting in the middle of the park. I don't remember it being dangerous looking or rusty, but when you are wee you don't notice/ think about these things.

Must ask my parents if they have any photos!

I saw this on Facebook and thought I should share it here.
864E6479-C17A-437A-9EBB-0B4EAF0EBD6B.jpeg

That slope was perfect for sunbathing on during the summer and sledging down during the snowy winter days we used to get back then.
I grew up near Plumstead Common in SE London. Plenty of slopes, dips and such but the best one was from the base of a wall, at a steeper angle than the photo, but only about 30 ft. in distance. At the bottom a nice metal vertical-barred fence, bars about 5 ins. apart.
In the absence of snow (common in the area), we used to slide down the grass on flattened bits of cardboard, halting our ride by putting our feet against the fence.
Of course, me being me, it had to happen. Right foot brake worked, left foot slid between the bars, me ending up stuck. Tried all things to escape then - biting the bullet of embarrassment - a chum went to call the fire brigade from a call box. While waiting, my muscles must've relaxed and I managed to wriggle out. At least I had the guts to hang around to explain when the fire brigade turned up, some 2o minutes later.

A 47-year-old woman was found unresponsive after a roller coaster ride at an Indiana theme / amusement park. She died a short time later in hospital.
Woman found unresponsive on Holiday World roller coaster passes away

An Ohio woman who was found unresponsive on a roller coaster at Holiday World Friday has died.

The amusement park posted on Facebook around midnight Friday that the woman was unresponsive when The Voyage roller coaster returned to the station earlier that evening. Medics arrived minutes later and administered first aid before the woman was taken to a Jasper hospital, where she later passed away.

... [T]he Dubois County Coroner identified the woman as 47-year-old Dawn Jankovic of Brunswick, Ohio. Results of an autopsy are pending. ...

The roller coaster was inspected Friday night and the park said it worked as intended. ...

The Voyage roller coaster gives riders a feeling of weightlessness, featuring three drops of more than 100 feet, which give riders a feeling of freefall for about 24 seconds.

When it opened in 2006, The Voyage was touted as being among the world's longest wooden roller coasters. It has a top speed of 67 miles an hour and takes riders through five underground tunnels.
FULL STORY: https://www.wthr.com/article/news/l...dies/531-c59df18d-1df2-4fe6-be9a-371047a85219

RE - THe above article, very sad.

I'm guessing it's probably a case of the lady having an undiagnosed heart condition or other health condition though , not the ride itself been dangerous . They have signs telling you not to go on these rides if you preganant/old/bad health ect. Problem is you can have a bad heart and not realise until it's too late.

It definitely seems the park are not at fault though (unlike Alton Towers and the smiler crash a few years back , where some idiot human overrode the computers safety device , which sent the train going again , for it to crash into an empty one! The computer had stopped it for a reason and yes some fool overrode without checking the damn camera )

I won't go on the really big and crazy coasters anymore. Leave it to the young un's., I will go on some, but not the ones that drop you from an insane height.

Just can't face it anymore .

We are going to Filey in 2wks time ( was originally booked last year , they moved it to this one, got a £50 food n drink voucher for the caravan site too, which is nice of them as its not their fault we went on a lockdown) . My son is now old enough to go on the kids rides , so we will be doing the zoo n rides at Flamingo Land one day. Last time I was there was 1992 lol..... I think they had 1 coaster then , the rest was standard fairground type rides . Had a look on YouTube, and it really changed a lot. Loads of coasters !,, I've got my eye on a few I might just go on. ... We will see!

They have installed a huge river raft ride that takes you on a good long scenic journey around the park, you can see all the animals from it. I'm hoping little lad will be big enough to come on it. There's a few of us going so it should be good.

RE - THe above article, very sad.

I'm guessing it's probably a case of the lady having an undiagnosed heart condition or other health condition though , not the ride itself been dangerous . They have signs telling you not to go on these rides if you preganant/old/bad health ect. Problem is you can have a bad heart and not realise until it's too late.

It definitely seems the park are not at fault though (unlike Alton Towers and the smiler crash a few years back , where some idiot human overrode the computers safety device , which sent the train going again , for it to crash into an empty one! The computer had stopped it for a reason and yes some fool overrode without checking the damn camera )

I won't go on the really big and crazy coasters anymore. Leave it to the young un's., I will go on some, but not the ones that drop you from an insane height.

Just can't face it anymore .

We are going to Filey in 2wks time ( was originally booked last year , they moved it to this one, got a £50 food n drink voucher for the caravan site too, which is nice of them as its not their fault we went on a lockdown) . My son is now old enough to go on the kids rides , so we will be doing the zoo n rides at Flamingo Land one day. Last time I was there was 1992 lol..... I think they had 1 coaster then , the rest was standard fairground type rides . Had a look on YouTube, and it really changed a lot. Loads of coasters !,, I've got my eye on a few I might just go on. ... We will see!

They have installed a huge river raft ride that takes you on a good long scenic journey around the park, you can see all the animals from it. I'm hoping little lad will be big enough to come on it. There's a few of us going so it should be good.
Hope you have a great time in Filey. I love the caravan site on the top there - many happy memories of camping and paddling, but no so many of the path back up :Givingup:. Looking forward to our next opportunity.

Last edited:
From the 'rollercoaster death article'

"The roller coaster was inspected Friday night and the park said it worked as intended. ..."

Does that mean its designed to kill people?

Pop in to my shop and make yourself known, by all means - even if you have no dog. Both my wife and I are "old" Forteans and willing to give you updates, hints 'n' tips etc. :D
http://www.mrsbishops-doggydeli.co.uk/

Is that why sing have chains now? Hopefully less fatal.
My partner broke his finger disentangling the chains on a swing so our son could have a ago. We spent a large chunk of our weekend break in casualty waiting for it to be reset,

A Maine playground had to be closed for repairs after vandals removed fasteners (screws; bolts) from the equipment installed there.
Paris closes playground after someone removes bolts, screws from structures

The playground at Moore Park beside Route 26 was closed Monday after someone removed bolts and screws from structures.

Town officials learned of the incident Monday morning when a parent discovered the tampering while her child was at the playground.

“We do not know when it happened, why it had happened, or who may have been responsible,” Police Chief Michael Dailey said. ...

The park will remain closed until new parts can be shipped to the town from the manufacturer and the equipment inspected, according to a post on the Paris Police Department’s Facebook page. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.pressherald.com/2021/07...someone-removes-bolts-screws-from-structures/

Some of your stuff looks human-edible!
Love the 'bottom sniffer' beer. :)
I do believe @Stormkhan tastes the products himself and I bet he's tried the beer. :D

That'd be as far as he went with the bottom-sniffing though. You have to draw a line somewhere.

(Edited to make sure Stormy knows he's being mentioned.)

Last edited:
Thanks, escargot, I got this. ;)
Yup. What we sell, we've tasted. And the doggy beer we sell is a sort of herbal tonic; tried it and tastes like cold herbal tea. Meh. :)

Pop in to my shop and make yourself known, by all means - even if you have no dog. Both my wife and I are "old" Forteans and willing to give you updates, hints 'n' tips etc. :D
http://www.mrsbishops-doggydeli.co.uk/

Only just seen this !!

I think we passed the shop on the last day when we were going home , were rushing back to car as it was in one of those "1 hr spaces"
I will be back another time and shall pop in,, !,

I can also report that Flamingo Land was rubbish.

Half the rides were shut but still full price entry.

What people are saying on Facebook. View attachment 42710
Can't be a safe ride if it can be disrupted like that.

Reminds me of a lad my lot knew who'd be a pest the whole time he was out with other kids. He'd egg them on to do stupid things like darting across roads or shoplifting. They all dumped him in short order.

Anyway... one time he was in my car and tried to get my kids to join in with rocking from side to side to disrupt the steering.
I warned him that if he didn't stop it he was walking home.

He stopped but after a minute or so he started again so I pulled over and chucked him out.

He was shocked. I don't think he could believe I was actually standing up to him when evidently, nobody else did!
This was a boy of 10 or 11. He's probably locked up now.

Actually, he was from a well-off family so he's more likely a captain of industry. :rolleyes:

This was in Clacton July 1956. Posting it as Dad had taken my sister and I on a run down it only a short while before! One last ride before getting back to our coach. Mum was a stickler for making sure we were always first back, no more shame than being the family that kept everyone waiting ... there was always one lol! Anyway the weather being so wet and windy everyone was back on time and we heard the almighty crash from the safety of our 'charabang'! I don't think anyone lost their life although I have a vague memory that one of the operators was hurt.
1628352469785.png

And here it is rebuilt after being blown down again in 2013 (no casualties) I went looking for the exact date for the original event but could only find the newspaper clipping above. None of the articles that I've read for the latter event even mentioned the earlier one which I thought a bit odd.

1628354772718.png

Gets a tad windy there on the Essex coast :)

Sollywos x

Back