• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dangerous Roads

Just looking at this @Mythopoeika - an area you'll know.
When they re-did this recently, as usual it seems a half-arsed job.

If you're heading north on the A1 and want to go West on the A14 (red) you have to go through three roundabouts.
You'd have thought that a slimple slip (green) would've been put in at the same time to avoid all the congestion that this will no doubt entail;

A14.png

I should point out that the A3400 doesnt run between Stratford and Banbury...but it is a part of the old Roman road - the Fosseway...and it simply lies between these places....

...also...I mention the bridge to my sister just too scare her...the childishness never goes away ;)
Here's a post from the Facebook 'Lost Roads' page which mentions the Fosse Way.

Another shot of part of the original A37 'Fosse Way' between Ilchester and Shepton Mallet- abandoned over 45 years ago now. My lovely old Triumph parked there in 1978 with only the ghosts of nearly two thousand years of traffic to keep it company.

Attachments

• Part of the original A37 'Fosse Way' between Ilchester and Shepton Mallet.jpeg
    Part of the original A37 'Fosse Way' between Ilchester and Shepton Mallet.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 7
Here's a reply to the above post -

Blue line showing the old route of the A372 to the infamous
Podimore crossroads which was a notorious accident black spot in the 50s and 60s. The yellow line shows the later staggered crossroads.

Attachments

• Blue line showing the old route of the A372 to the infamous  Podimore crossroads which was a ...jpeg
    Blue line showing the old route of the A372 to the infamous Podimore crossroads which was a ...jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 7
There's a road Techy cycles along where he keeps having mishaps; two snapped chains, a broken derailleur and punctures at various times, along with an attack from a random Alsatian.

He also got the car stuck in a lay-by there when trying to turn round after I went to pick him up.

All these incidents happened within about 30 yards at most. He's had to be rescued by car several times but sorted punctures himself.

To make things worse, SatNavs won't take you there and today (when I set off to scoop Techy and bike once again) my phone wouldn't either. Weird.

There's a road Techy cycles along where he keeps having mishaps; two snapped chains, a broken derailleur and punctures at various times, along with an attack from a random Alsatian.

He also got the car stuck in a lay-by there when trying to turn round after I went to pick him up.

All these incidents happened within about 30 yards at most. He's had to be rescued by car several times but sorted punctures himself.

To make things worse, SatNavs won't take you there and today (when I set off to scoop Techy and bike once again) my phone wouldn't either. Weird.
Are you going to tell us where this is?

Are you going to tell us where this is?
It's here - on the approach to the canal bridge, NE direction, Plant Lane.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1470791,-2.4015313,18z?entry=ttu

Techy's just reminded me that even when the bike's stayed intact he's often been nearly splattered by careless drivers, for instance when cars take the bridge at speed from the opposite side and nearly hit him.

He's begun wearily expecting disaster along there now, thinking I hope the bloody chain doesn't snap again today!

I've suggested he tries going another way from now on but he says that's just being superstitious. :chuckle:

'Superstitious and alive' is not a bad way to be though. :nods:

It's here - on the approach to the canal bridge, NE direction, Plant Lane.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1470791,-2.4015313,18z?entry=ttu

Techy's just reminded me that even when the bike's stayed intact he's often been nearly splattered by careless drivers, for instance when cars take the bridge at speed from the opposite side and nearly hit him.

He's begun wearily expecting disaster along there now, thinking I hope the bloody chain doesn't snap again today!

I've suggested he tries going another way from now on but he says that's just being superstitious. :chuckle:

'Superstitious and alive' is not a bad way to be though. :nods:
Well Sandbach- what do you expect.

Keep him on the salt line- he shouldn't come to any harm on there.

I live in quite a dangerous area for roads, there's a major junction nearby and a single lane carriage way that's completely straight and has consequently claimed a few lives. The oddest thing though is that there's a 300 yard stretch near to me where four people have been killed, including the parent of someone I know, and another person who I met a few times. It's an urban road although there is forest nearby, but I don't know what it is that makes it so dangerous.

Yes, I just realised that we actually used to switch over to the canal and carry on along there.
Techy goes on and off the canal on his rides. They are not paved around'ere though so it can be a slog.

Techy goes on and off the canal on his rides. They are not paved around'ere though so it can be a slog.
Yes.
Used to do the salt line from Alsager and then the canal to Wheelock quite often years ago.
The switch from salt line to canal is by a house that sits right next to a bridge carrying the M6.
I wonder what the drone from the traffic is like there.

Yes.
Used to do the salt line from Alsager and then the canal to Wheelock quite often years ago.
The switch from salt line to canal is by a house that sits right next to a bridge carrying the M6.
I wonder what the drone from the traffic is like there.

You'd get used to it, probably couldn't sleep when it stopped. Say during one of those frequent gigantic summer jams that we take photos of from the motorway road bridges.

Might pop along there today on t'mokes.

Italian net closes in on 'Fleximan' - vigilante destroyer of speed cameras​

Broken speed camera near Padua

BBC News, Rome

Italy has been gripped by a vigilante who calls himself "Fleximan" and has made it his mission to tear down as many speed cameras as possible.

Fleximan has already claimed at least 15 successful strikes, and a special police task force and four different prosecutors' offices are now investigating the attacks.

The anonymous vandal began leaving a trail of destruction months ago in the north-east, as more and more of the cameras were put out of action.

Photos of his actions then spread on social media, along with the nickname taken from the Italian word for angle grinder, flessibile - the tool he has mostly used to destroy the cameras.

What is not clear is whether Fleximan is one man or two, or perhaps he has become a number of copycat vandals.

Police in the north-west Piedmont region say they have charged a 50-year-old suspect, but most of the attacks have taken place in the Veneto area of the north-east.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68103948

Back