• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dangerous Vanity: Selfie-Related Deaths & Critical Injuries

Just read them all, horrific, especially the young girl who commited suicide by throwing herself in front of a train,

There was an actual railway selfie video suicide in England last year.

A man set up a camera to record the train hitting him. Not much more to say about it, except that he'd obviously planned it well as everything happened as expected.

No, I haven't seen the video, but I believe I know people who have. I won't be asking for a look though.

Follow-on discussion regarding the suicide method and resulting clean-up issues can be found in:

Suicides Using Ground Vehicles (Trains; Trucks; Etc.)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...sing-ground-vehicles-trains-trucks-etc.13672/

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a bit strange. I thought I was the first person to post about that; but after posting it it didn't appear at the bottom of the thread. Instead the last post in the thread was by ElolaGaia; posting the same story (but from CNN).

I renewed the search for the thread and am now seeing my post but not EnolaGaia's!

So, sorry if I'm repeating what's already been reported!

That's a bit strange. I thought I was the first person to post about that; but after posting it it didn't appear at the bottom of the thread. Instead the last post in the thread was by ElolaGaia; posting the same story (but from CNN).
I renewed the search for the thread and am now seeing my post but not EnolaGaia's! ...

It might be a pagination issue. My post appears (for me) on page 1 of this thread, and yours is on page 2.

This hiker climbed a tree next to a cliff for his - unexpectedly final - pose.
An Oregon hiker fell off of a cliff to his death while posing for a photograph

A hiker died after falling from a cliff into the ocean on Sunday in Oregon's Oswald West State Park, becoming the latest person to lose their life while trying to snap a scenic photograph.

Steven Gastelum, 43, walked down the Devil's Cauldron Trail and climbed a tree near the edge of the cliff to pose for a photo, Oregon State Police said.

A tree limb broke, and Gastelum fell about 100 feet into the ocean, police said in a statement.

A US Coast Guard helicopter and Nehalem Bay fire rescuers on jet skis located Gastelum and brought him to shore.

Gastelum was taken to Tillamook Regional Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead, police said. Oswald West State Park is about 90 miles northwest of Portland on the Oregon coast. ...

SOURCE: https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/29/us/oregon-hiker-photo-death-trnd/index.html

Two college students fell from the roof of a 4-story apartment building while partying and taking selfies ...
2 Temple University students fall from rooftop in North Philadelphia: Police

Two Temple University students were hospitalized Saturday after falling from a four-story rooftop in North Philadelphia, police said.

Temple University and Philadelphia police departments were called to an off-campus apartment on the 1800 block of North Bouvier Street around 2 a.m. Saturday.

According to police, several Temple students were attending a party and gathered on the rooftop.

Police said two 19-year-old women were taking selfies and fell from the roof and onto the sidewalk of a back alley.

One of the students suffered leg and ankle injuries and the other is in critical but stable condition with injuries to multiple parts of her body. ...

FULL STORY: https://6abc.com/temple-university-...rooftop-party-teens-fell-from-police/6735533/

Another one (actually two, as another body is found as the first body is recovered):

Man, 25, slips 300ft to his death in Arizona national park while climbing rocks to take pictures
  • Orlando Serrano-Arzola, 25, fell more than 250 feet to his death on Sunday morning in the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area in Arizona
  • Serrano-Arzola was thought to be climbing rocks to get a better view for his photographs, but he slipped
  • While recovering the man’s body, officials also found human remains belonging to another ‘unrelated fatality’ at the foot of the canyon
  • No information was provided as to how long the remains may have been there
  • The Coconino County Sheriff’s Office and the National Park Service have not yet responded to a DailyMail.com request for further comment
A 25-year-old man fell more than 250 feet to his death after slipping while scaling rocks to take pictures of a scenic overlook at Arizona's Glen Canyon National Recreation Area over the weekend, officials revealed Tuesday.

While recovering the man’s body, officials also found human remains belonging to another ‘unrelated fatality’ at the foot of the canyon.

The discovery was made shortly after 9:04am on Sunday morning when the National Park Service Dispatch received a call reporting that a man had fallen off of a cliff to his death near Glen Canyon Dam Overlook.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...national-park-slipping-climbing-pictures.html

Could these selfie deaths lead to a spate of selfie ghosts? Will future ghost photos feature a phantom lady doing duckface?

Could these selfie deaths lead to a spate of selfie ghosts? Will future ghost photos feature a phantom lady doing duckface?

If a selfie-related death occurred because of a fall (e.g., off a cliff's edge) would the ghost be more likely to appear at the cliff edge above or down where the victim landed?

If a selfie-related death occurred because of a fall (e.g., off a cliff's edge) would the ghost be more likely to appear at the cliff edge above or down where the victim landed?

I'd assume, given the motives, it would keep appearing at the top of the cliff, then fall down, then reappear at the top, and so on, like a GIF.

It appears that the majority of the deaths are or younger people without kids, so using Darwins theory of survival of the fittest, the fuckwit gene should be extinct in a generation or two :p

Joking aside (and yes, I think such discussion is funny), I pity the families of the deceased.
How does anyone explain to a grieving mother that their child's fatal accident wasn't caused by anyone ... apart from their child themselves. That they died because they wanted to impress total strangers on the internet.
Is it any wonder that there's a growing movement of bereaved families protesting, campaigning against social media etc. and putting pressure on governments to ... er ... do something!

It appears that the majority of the deaths are or younger people without kids, so using Darwins theory of survival of the fittest, the fuckwit gene should be extinct in a generation or two :p

So when you were young you never did anything fucking stupid????

These sorts of comments make me really angry.

Umm i never killed myself attempting to take a selfie!!! Jeez. No offense meant, it was said in jest, hence the emoji!!!

My point is when I was younger we did not do selfies but we did engage in very stupid and risky behavior. Really fucking stupid and arrogant stuff.

I'm sure a lot of the "selfie" brigade who have fallen off cliffs if they've survived would shake their heads at their younger selves.

We shouldn't gloat over their deaths.

My point is when I was younger we did not do selfies but we did engage in very stupid and risky behavior. Really fucking stupid and arrogant stuff.

I'm sure a lot of the "selfie" brigade who have fallen off cliffs if they've survived would shake their heads at their younger selves.

We shouldn't gloat over their deaths.
Could say the same thing about all of the items in the 'strange deaths' thread here and column in the FT, and the Darwin Awards, they are only published for our entertainment.

We've all done stupid things. All humans do throughout the ages. I have definitely. Some things that even now I'm amazed I survived.
Absolutely true.
I did stupid, risky things to 'impress' my immediate chums. I (sort of) knew they were stupid, at the most basic level, but I did them because of my desire to impress/amuse/fit in with my peer group.
E.G. For my 18th birthday, I drank (and survived) 18 pints of snakebite. At the time, it was "one of those things". Obviously, I survived. It was a dumb thing to do. But why did I do it? I repeat the reasons listed above.

The current generation do equally stupid things. But why? Even when we're allegedly more intelligent, more aware of the risks.
The advent of social media it's "changed the odds".
Firstly, it puts pressure on folks to do stupid things in order to gain a transient pleasure at being "famous".
Secondly, it advertises clearly the consequences of doing stupid things - right up to the point of lethality.
The question comes about the balance between these two factors.
It's not a matter of gloating over these avoidable deaths.
It's a matter of asking why these things are done especially when the fatal results are widely publicised.

If you do something, knowing the risks, that ends up with you dying then the responsibility is yours.
But when something is obviously lethal, that - on balance - you will be injured or die, then why do it? Especially when it's linked to some transient and facile notion of fame.
People have survived with a nail being hammered into their head. It's a special kind of stupid that makes you want to be recorded hammering a nail into your head to be videoed and put up on TicTok.
Doing something irresponsible is what we've all done. Doing something obviously fatal is for the stupid.

We've all done stupid things. All humans do throughout the ages. I have definitely. Some things that even now I'm amazed I survived.
Absolutely true.
I did stupid, risky things to 'impress' my immediate chums. I (sort of) knew they were stupid, at the most basic level, but I did them because of my desire to impress/amuse/fit in with my peer group.
E.G. For my 18th birthday, I drank (and survived) 18 pints of snakebite. At the time, it was "one of those things". Obviously, I survived. It was a dumb thing to do. But why did I do it? I repeat the reasons listed above.

The current generation do equally stupid things. But why? Even when we're allegedly more intelligent, more aware of the risks.
The advent of social media it's "changed the odds".
Firstly, it puts pressure on folks to do stupid things in order to gain a transient pleasure at being "famous".
Secondly, it advertises clearly the consequences of doing stupid things - right up to the point of lethality.
The question comes about the balance between these two factors.
It's not a matter of gloating over these avoidable deaths.
It's a matter of asking why these things are done especially when the fatal results are widely publicised.

If you do something, knowing the risks, that ends up with you dying then the responsibility is yours.
But when something is obviously lethal, that - on balance - you will be injured or die, then why do it? Especially when it's linked to some transient and facile notion of fame.
People have survived with a nail being hammered into their head. It's a special kind of stupid that makes you want to be recorded hammering a nail into your head to be videoed and put up on TicTok.
Doing something irresponsible is what we've all done. Doing something obviously fatal is for the stupid.

It depends on what people are doing obviously.

Someone slipping off a cliff whilst taking a selfie is one thing, That's an accident, and most of those people don't think they are participating in a life and death activity. Remember there are countless YouTube comedy shows that celebrate bloopers. So if you fall off a boat or into a river you'll just end up with a cool YouTube hit.

Doing something very dangerous is something else. Dangerous and possibly lethal activities have not been helped by free-climbers, extreme-parkour enthusiasts, base jumpers, etc. Most of the "experts" learn their bloody stupid craft over a number of years. However, once it's out there you get kids thinking "I could do that" and they can't. There is a mountain biker who does extremely dangerous jumps, etc. I used to think he was amazing now I think he's just a bit of a dick.

Many of the leading lights in these activities eventually end up dead and it's romanticized just like rock stars are for OD'ing. They are immortal and they'll never age.

"At least Jeff was doing what he loved" bullshit that tries to legitimize the fact that he has destroyed his family and romanticized a deadly activity is universal when one of these people die.

Back in the day stuntmen the likes of Eval Kneival, (what a stupid name), and Eddie Kidd, (who is partially paralyzed with brain damage btw), were minor celebs and curiosities. Teenagers mostly didn't aspire to be them. Younger kids would try and replicate stuff with a plank of wood and some bricks on bikes but that would result in falling off and hurting yourself and not doing that again.

Things are not like that anymore.

The YouTube generation gives everyone the chance to be someone and that's all the kids aspire to these days. Be someone, get noticed. It's more than just a transient pleasure. If you get hits on whatever platform you become someone. This is why kids do this stuff - they want to be someone. This has been the result of 20 years of pushing the cult of celebrity. Even relatively safe activities such as streaming yourself gaming can lead to fame and riches. It isn't transient and facile to them. Quite the opposite it can be a ticket to fame and fortune with minimal effort.

I really don't think we older people get the pull of the need to be noticed.

A lot of these dangerous activities are quite solitary which differs from the stupid stuff we used to do. When I was younger and doing stupid stuff It would be with a group of mates. At least one would be slightly sensible and mature enough to say "hang on" if we were really pushing the limit. Thus jumping off things, falling off bikes and skateboards could and did result in injury but not death.

The ones that did die from my generation were usually the result of drug or alcohol-related issues or driving under the influence.

Last edited:
I really don't think we older people get the pull of the need to be noticed.
Oh, I think such a desire for fame has been around for centuries. That's why people trained, practiced, worked hard and pushed themselves. To be known for what they could do.
The internet, social media and technology has advanced so much that it's made activities more publicised. "Back in the day" you had to have some money and technical know-how to produce a TV show. Now You Tube acts as a platform for any wannabe. Now, don't get me wrong - this has enabled some really talented folks out there to be 'known'. But it also is littered with 'near misses'.
Like ebooks and self-publishing has cut out the filter of publishing agents, editors and such so we get access to some talent which may've been overlooked ... but we also get absolute tosh which would've been rejected for very good reasons.
Finally, look how the media has fine-tuned the appeal of celebrity. We have people famous for being ... er ... on other reality shows, promoted for their character rather than actual abilities or talents. Once we wanted to be a famous actor, or a famous chef or a famous sportsman. Now people are encouraged to be famous. End of.
In short, we've always wanted to be noticed but it used to be for our ability. Now, we just want to be noticed and the ease of this means there's a huge crowd of people wanting the same. So they have to resort to more and more stunts in order to stand out.

Oh, I think such a desire for fame has been around for centuries. That's why people trained, practiced, worked hard and pushed themselves. To be known for what they could do.
The internet, social media and technology has advanced so much that it's made activities more publicised. "Back in the day" you had to have some money and technical know-how to produce a TV show. Now You Tube acts as a platform for any wannabe. Now, don't get me wrong - this has enabled some really talented folks out there to be 'known'. But it also is littered with 'near misses'.
Like ebooks and self-publishing has cut out the filter of publishing agents, editors and such so we get access to some talent which may've been overlooked ... but we also get absolute tosh which would've been rejected for very good reasons.
Finally, look how the media has fine-tuned the appeal of celebrity. We have people famous for being ... er ... on other reality shows, promoted for their character rather than actual abilities or talents. Once we wanted to be a famous actor, or a famous chef or a famous sportsman. Now people are encouraged to be famous. End of.
In short, we've always wanted to be noticed but it used to be for our ability. Now, we just want to be noticed and the ease of this means there's a huge crowd of people wanting the same. So they have to resort to more and more stunts in order to stand out.
The problem these days is people want to be famous/celebrities but are not willing to put any work/effort into it, in my day if you wanted to be a famous footballer/actor/ tv personality/singer, you had to work hard, study, train, practice, tread the boards, play dives, go to college/university, nowadays people dont want to put in the effort, so they will just do stupid things on youtube, tictoc etc in the hopes of getting noticed and get a shortcut to stardom.

Last edited:
There seems to be a national league table of people killed or injured whilst trying to capture that 'selfie' shot on their phones.

The leader is India, followed by Russia, United States then Pakistan. The former maybe isn't so surprising, given it has the highest population of any country on the planet, hence selfie-takers in general, but I wonder about the reasons for the latter. This wikipedia page lists many of the past decade. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_selfie-related_injuries_and_deaths

Large-scale mobile tech use + poor education + social media prevalence + the safety standards (or lack of them) peculiar to an individual country seems to the sum that = more selfie-related deaths.

In Britain anyone over the age of 35 has horrific memories of public safety adverts which *may* have influenced our attitude to larking about with phones, does anyone know if similar short films are still drummed into school pupils?

India is a real oddity in that many casualties are related to water; unfortunately many mobile videos abound which show people coming to grief in rivers, floods and at the coast. Russia in that it has a great majority of train/rail selfie deaths - many due to electrification.

I think the saddest one I ever read about was the young lady Hyewon Kim who, while on a trip to Beachy Head, asked a walker to take a photo of her as she jumped in the air near the edge -she lost her footing when landing and over she went (Edited to add: Also mentioned in post #14 on this thread).

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/13/student-fell-seven-sisters-cliff-edge-jumping-air-photo/

"A student fell to her death after jumping in the air to pose for a photo at the edge of the Seven Sisters cliffs, an inquest heard.
Hyewon Kim, 23, had asked a passerby to take a picture of her during a trip to Cuckmere Haven, East Sussex, on June 22.

As she jumped into the air for the shot, she lost her footing and fell 200ft, the inquest was told.
Eastbourne senior coroner Alan Craze recorded a conclusion of death by misadventure.

The court heard Ms Kim, from South Korea, suffered catastrophic injuries in the fall. The day before the incident, there had been a severe rock fall at the same location. The inquest at Eastbourne Town Hall heard Miss Kim had handed her mobile phone to a group of three other South Korean tourists who she did not know and asked them to take her picture at the cliff edge..."

In Britain anyone over the age of 35 has horrific memories of public safety adverts which *may* have influenced our attitude to larking about with phones, does anyone know if similar short films are still drummed into school pupils?
But in general those PSA’s were on the TV and not shown to us in school. Such PSA films are not shown on TV or in schools as far as I know.

But in general those PSA’s were on the TV and not shown to us in school. Such PSA films are not shown on TV or in schools as far as I know.

We (south west England) were regularly herded into the hall and made to watch supposedly age-appropriate films and videos to scare the sh*t out of us from about the age of 6 or 7 until 16. The first one I remember is the made-in-1971 Never Go With Strangers, The last before going onto 6th form was something about motorcycle safety and graphic descriptions from the ex-traffic copper of what happens when bodies clothed in normal gear meet tarmac at 60mph :(

Saw this on the Legal Eagle You Tube channel.
It was bound to happen sooner or later. There's only so much protection in the protest that "It was just a joke, man!"

Seven dead in Indonesia after boat capsizes due to failed selfie attempt

Seven people were killed in Indonesia on Sunday after the boat they were on capsized in a failed selfie attempt.

When taking a group photo, all the tourists on board, a group of about twenty people, gathered on the same side of the boat. As a result, it became unbalanced and flipped over.

The accident happened on a water basin on the island of Java. Eleven people on board were rescued, two are still missing. As far as we know, all the victims have Indonesian nationality.

According to the local police chief, it is still being investigated whether there was negligence on the part of the boat staff. There would have been too many people on board and the boat was allegedly driven by a 13-year-old boy.

https://www.nu.nl/buitenland/613364...apseizen-boot-door-mislukte-selfiepoging.html

Seven dead in Indonesia after boat capsizes due to failed selfie attempt

Seven people were killed in Indonesia on Sunday after the boat they were on capsized in a failed selfie attempt.

When taking a group photo, all the tourists on board, a group of about twenty people, gathered on the same side of the boat. As a result, it became unbalanced and flipped over.

The accident happened on a water basin on the island of Java. Eleven people on board were rescued, two are still missing. As far as we know, all the victims have Indonesian nationality.

According to the local police chief, it is still being investigated whether there was negligence on the part of the boat staff. There would have been too many people on board and the boat was allegedly driven by a 13-year-old boy.

https://www.nu.nl/buitenland/613364...apseizen-boot-door-mislukte-selfiepoging.html

In English.

At least seven dead after selfie attempt makes tourist boat capsize in Indonesia​

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/sout...-dead-after-selfie-attempt-makes-tourist-boat

Back