• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Danish Troll Legends

What does that song have to do with trolls or South Park? It sounds like a fairly standard danish folk song.

This is way worse. Deeply disturbing. Plenty of foul language. Not work safe at all.
On the other hand, someone has kindly subtitled it so you can learn the lyrics.

Last edited:
I occasionally wonder whether these kinds of stories are transmitted memories of the last interactions between homo sapiens and our neanderthal cousins.

If that were the case, then sasquatches would be trolls. Mind you, trolls are associated with magic, and there are some unusual stories about sasquatches that I heard on the podcast "Sasquatch Chronicles" in the episode "The Quantum Bigfoot" regarding some very supernatural bigfoot activity. Arguably, it all ties in, assuming that if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... (i.e. no false attribution errors).

I occasionally wonder whether these kinds of stories are transmitted memories of the last interactions between homo sapiens and our neanderthal cousins.
Lars Thomas of Copenhagen University did some research on early troll legends. The description of the trolls, both male and female matched exactly with eyewitness reports of the almasty that i had collected during my expedition to the Caucasus Mountains in Russia. I think the creature may be an early offshoot of Homo erectus or Homo habilus. In past centuries these may have been more widespread and inhabited the forests of Europe. In the 1980s there was a spate of reports in western Russia very close to the border of Finland. Lars Thomas says reports of trolls died out in most of Scandinavia in the 19th centrury but persist in Finland.

Discription, 7-7.5 feet tall, hairy, muscular, no neck, thick brow ridge, no use of fire but able to use clubs and throw huge rocks, many times stronger than a human, living in deep forests and mountains, mainly nocturnal, mniverous, capable of interbreeding with humans, generaly shy but savage if cornered, females have long, drooping breasts and are called slattenpatten (floppy tits).

Discription, 7-7.5 feet tall, hairy, muscular, no neck, thick brow ridge, no use of fire but able to use clubs and throw huge rocks, many times stronger than a human, living in deep forests and mountains, mainly nocturnal, omnivorous, capable of interbreeding with humans, generally shy but savage if cornered, females have long, drooping breasts and are called slattenpatten (floppy tits).

Slattenpatten huh? In English, the feminine for troll is trollop. There is also the possibility that some trolls who lived under bridges were actually toll collecters (or bandits). Etymologically related words are stroll (originally strawl) from which we get trawl, which leads to the modern internet use of the word troll (an obnoxious internet trawler).

Unless I'm missing something, neither of those links demonstrates that trollop has a masculine equivalent or that trollop is the feminine of a masculine noun.

Look again. It is in the fine print. I didn't highlight it.

Nope, still not seeing it, sorry.

Agreed ... I see nothing in either of those links characterizing 'trollop' as a feminine version of 'troll'.

In Robert Lynn Asprin's MythAdventures series the term 'trollop' is indeed employed to denote a female troll. This is the only context I've ever seen where a masculine / feminine dualism is mapped onto troll / trollop.

NOTE: AlchoPwn's insistence such a mapping is evident in his links may represent a tongue-in-cheek demonstration of the verb (troll).

Discription, 7-7.5 feet tall, hairy, muscular, no neck, thick brow ridge, no use of fire but able to use clubs and throw huge rocks, many times stronger than a human, living in deep forests and mountains, mainly nocturnal, mniverous, capable of interbreeding with humans, generaly shy but savage if cornered, females have long, drooping breasts and are called slattenpatten (floppy tits).
"Pattar" the Swedish equivalent of "Boobs". Also known as "tuttar" and "rattar". Not so much used in Norway, except for on animals "jur", then written as "patter".

There is a new movie out in Sweden called Gräns. It's based on a book written by the same guy who wrote Let The Right One In
It's about two people who don't quite fit in...

There is a new movie out in Sweden called Gräns. It's based on a book written by the same guy who wrote Let The Right One In
It's about two people who don't quite fit in...
Is there? Missed that one.

Aha - it opens in a few days. "Gräns" means border, boundary or limit. The movie is about a woman who works as a Customs Official and she can smell how people are feeling. She has always felt different. Then she meets someone who is the same. It's described as a mixture of romance, noir and the supernatural. They look quite trollish.

Trailer in link (in Swedish obviously):
https://www.sf.se/film/NCG522468/grans

Is there? Missed that one.

Aha - it opens in a few days. "Gräns" means border, boundary or limit. The movie is about a woman who works as a Customs Official and she can smell how people are feeling. She has always felt different. Then she meets someone who is the same. It's described as a mixture of romance, noir and the supernatural. They look quite trollish.

Trailer in link (in Swedish obviously):
https://www.sf.se/film/NCG522468/grans
They look like neanderthals.

Back