• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dark Secrets Of The Triratna Guru

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
dark secrets of the Triratna guru
British-born guru Sangharakshita was mired in allegations of abuse for years. Now it seems the scandal in his wealthy order went far wider than previously acknowledged

Coddington Court, near the Herefordshire market town of Ledbury, is a late-18th-century red brick mansion surrounded by farmland.
These days it goes by the name of Adhisthana, reflecting its reincarnation as the headquarters of one of the most influential Buddhist orders in the world, the Triratna Community, whose founder, Sangharakshita, lived there until his death last year at the age of 93. With its impressive grounds and gardens, it looks like a serene place for someone to spend their final years. But behind the scenes, the picture is a rather more turbulent one.
For decades the order has been dogged by claims of sexual misconduct, claims that often strayed into allegations of coercion and abuse but which were thought to involve only a handful of individuals at worst.
But now a bombshell internal report, produced by concerned members and shared with the Observer, has found that more than one in 10 of them claim to have experienced or observed sexual misconduct while in the order. Many of the allegations are against Sangharakshita himself, but others make it clear that he was not the only alleged perpetrator.

more here

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/21/sangharakshita-guru-triratna-buddhist-dark-secrets

I know it's the Guardian, but I have to point out that this group is not "influential", no Buddhist group is influential because with no central body there is no one to influence. It's also not very well known. Just another group that formed around someone who was charismatic and wanted power.

I know it's the Guardian, but I have to point out that this group is not "influential", no Buddhist group is influential because with no central body there is no one to influence. It's also not very well known. Just another group that formed around someone who was charismatic and wanted power.
There is a Triratna guy called Vishvapani who regularly talks on BBC Radio 4's 'Thought for the Day'. That makes them influential.

although from the article

Mark Dunlop left the order in 1985 after many years working for it. A heterosexual man, he felt compelled to have sexual relations with Lingwood over a four-year period. “He didn’t have any charisma,” Dunlop said. “He was a slightly weird guy, in a way that worked in his favour because I thought: ‘I’m not being swayed by his charisma.’
“One theory about narcissists is that they have experienced some kind of trauma in their childhood so they don’t have any confidence in themselves, and they create this whole world as a compensation and manipulate other people to build up their own ego.

but generally that what these things are. perfectly acceptable spiritual beliefs, twisted and corrupted by (nearly always) men who can't keep it in their pants.

Back