• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Scopolamine: A Mind Control Drug?

MrSnowman

Abominable Snowman
You know, this tale might have some factual grounds. I recall reading in FT a looooooooooooong time ago (the issue had a picture of a black cat on the front I think, around about 1993ish). There was a report in there about how either Thai or Venezualan prostitutes were luring customers to hotel rooms, and then spraying them with a scopolamine based substance which rendered the poor customer unconscious for a couple of hours, only for them to wake up with all their belongings gone. If someone can dig out the issue and post the accurate article it'd be nice. I can't remember the facts exactly.

Yea, that's some interesting stuff. I first ran across the reference to scopolamine as a mind control substance. The knowledge seems to have morphed over to a kind of creeping awareness of it's power.
https://www.drugs.com/illicit/devils-breath.html
Getting a little off-topic but I enjoyed this VICE documentary. I'm still not clear if the power of scopolamine is a UL or a real thing.

I wonder about the alleged properties of scopolamine, a chemical agent apparently widely used to victimise people in Colombia and other South American countries.

The supposed effects are to make the victim tractable - 'like a zombie' - and amnesiac. So it is used by rapists but also in robberies where the victim will apparently happily withdraw all their money from the ATM, wake up somewhere and not remember a thing.

It's supposedly applied by blowing a powder into the victim's face. I'm skeptical as some of the stories sound like urban legends to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
A slight tangent but related: I wonder about the alleged properties of scopolamine, a chemical agent apparently widely used to victimise people in Colombia and other South American countries.
That is a good call James. Scopolamine is used for some surgeries and it seems to work as advertised. Correct dosage would be a problem.

That is a good call James. Scopolamine is used for some surgeries and it seems to work as advertised. Correct dosage would be a problem.
I'm not sure about the method of administration, ie blowing a powder in the victim's face. It sounds inefficient and likely to backfire.

Like related deliriants it should produce amnesia though those also produce conspicuously unusual behaviour which wouldn't fly if you were trying to keep a drugged up zombie victim low profile while marching them to the ATM.

It should be widely available in that area because a lot of plants around there contain the drug.

I'm not sure about the method of administration, ie blowing a powder in the victim's face. It sounds inefficient and likely to backfire.
Agreed. On the other hand, the blowing of powders in people's face is normally there entirely for theatrical misdirection purposes, and normally amounts to a handful of tumeric, providing deniability before the law, but enhancing the reputation of the bokor when it still works. The actual poisoning is administered by other means, such as being placed inside the victim's pillowcase, in their shoes, pockets, socks, or similar methods. The person blowing the powder is there to draw attention and suspicion away from the actual poisoner. Tetrodotoxin, the zombifying agent, is destroyed by water, but volatile and can be absorbed thru the skin, but obviously inhalation or another mucus membrane is best. Some people have hypothesised a barrier cream to stop the bokor being poisoned, but it isn't necessary.

Scopolamine, for example comes from a Datura family plant, and it makes people highly suggestible. So far I haven't narrowed the suspects down enough, but it isn't beyond all credibility that many cryptid sightings may in fact be linked to hallucinogens, a bit like DMT's reliably appearing "machine elves".

Last edited by a moderator:
Back