• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

David Beckham Paid Off My Mortgage!

As soon as the cameras are off he goes back to shouting abuse at passing cars & making rude hand gestures to old ladies.
We'll need evidence for that!

(After all, he's rich enough to pay someone else to do that for him!)

:p

Some years back I worked with people who had worked the security detail for David Beckham. At this level these guys are very professional, utterly unphased by fame, and close mouthed when it comes to their job - but they all go a bit gooey when it comes to Beckham: he is apparently, a genuinely lovely guy. (The wife they aren't so sure about.)

(The cynical might be tempted to use the argument that he can afford to be a genuinely lovely guy - but, having worked with a few famous names myself, I can honestly say that even the level of empathy required to buy a couple of cold strangers a coffee is unusual: an almost psychopathic level of self-centredness is much more common. To be fair, the level of stress involved in such an existence is often incredibly high - being famous is a 24 hour job with 360 degree scrutiny and no let-up - but still.)

Last edited:
In this weeks Popbitch:

"...it's nice to be able to bring you a story of a good celeb Samaritan.

One such celeb recently rushed to the aid of a butcher's assistant outside a rather high-end butcher in Mayfair. The employee nearly came a cropper after trying to carry too many boxes at once. The guy was about to drop a huge consignment of meat all over the ground, when a mystery hand came running over and reached out to help steady the pile and carry it to safety.

It wasn't until the two men had gently placed the boxes down on the ground that the guy saw who the kind helper was that had stopped to assist him...

David Beckham."

So, is Beckham actually a real-life Superman? Coming to people's aid, always there at the right time, whether it be to help broken down motorists, pay mortgages, buy the homeless beer and burgers, and swooping in in the nick of time to stop meat-based disasters.

In this weeks Popbitch:

"...it's nice to be able to bring you a story of a good celeb Samaritan.

One such celeb recently rushed to the aid of a butcher's assistant outside a rather high-end butcher in Mayfair. The employee nearly came a cropper after trying to carry too many boxes at once. The guy was about to drop a huge consignment of meat all over the ground, when a mystery hand came running over and reached out to help steady the pile and carry it to safety.

It wasn't until the two men had gently placed the boxes down on the ground that the guy saw who the kind helper was that had stopped to assist him...

David Beckham."

So, is Beckham actually a real-life Superman? Coming to people's aid, always there at the right time, whether it be to help broken down motorists, pay mortgages, buy the homeless beer and burgers, and swooping in in the nick of time to stop meat-based disasters.
Beckham needs to wear a brightly-coloured skintight suit.

... and thank you, 'Scarg, for "liking" one of my oldest posts on this board, a mere 11 years after I typed it!

I don't know who is the current favourite subject for these types of stories (it's gone a bit quiet on the Beckham front these days), but a couple of years back, it was amazing how many garages Mario Balotelli turned up at, paying the fuel bill of a whole forecourt full of motorists.

Not exactly relevant, but I have a friend who works in PR, who's been involved in projects with both of the Beckham's and she reports that both couldn't be nicer or more down to earth, though Victoria is more reserved.
Indeed, she told me that despite only having fleeting contact with David on the first project, on the second, which was three years later, he remembered both her, and asked after her young son.

Can sainthood be very far away? Or the modern equivalent?

He could just be a nice bloke? After all, he's not likely to run out of money any time soon. See, I'm not totally cynical - and I'm not even an MU supporter! He does come over as nice but not especially bright - although his missus and his agent appear quite adequately worldly wise.

I agree he comes across as very nice, but disagree that he's not bright, he was lazily parodied as thick for years but whenever I see him interviewed he seems of reasonable intelligence.

I agree he comes across as very nice, but disagree that he's not bright, he was lazily parodied as thick for years but whenever I see him interviewed he seems of reasonable intelligence.
I think he's a lot smarter than the public perception. Not a genius, but also not a thickie.

Even after he became a big player with Man Utd he still used to come back to Deepdale to watch Preston North End, without poncing around with a 'look at me' attitude. He stayed friends with a player at the time Ryan (can't recall his second name dammit!). When he spoke at some FIFA awards he talked of playing for some great clubs. When he mentioned PNE everyone laughed but I really don't think that he would have meant it to be sarcastic.

As an afterthought the players surname was bugging me. I read the link about the mutineers pigtails and his surname came back to me. Ryan Kidd, I must have thought of Captain Kidd. It's funny how the mind works.

Last edited:
A recent scene in Manchester:

"You a fallen woman?"
"You David Beckham?"
"No."
"That's not a water bottle either, is it!" :eek:

Well, it turns out the isn't a saint after all. All this time he's just been hankering after a knighthood. He might have got away with it too if it wasn't for those pesky Football Leaks.

The whole honours system is devalued anyway. Though personally I'd rather someone got an honour for charity work - however self serving their motivations - than for being Cameron's toady or for being a retail multimillionaire.

Back