• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

David Lynch

Was David lynch ever really in touch with the modern world? ;) His films always seemed like some sort of dream/nightmare state infused with 1950's Americana.

I haven't read the articles, but I know David Lynch has been heavily in to Transcendental Meditation for a few years...said it got rid of his depressed feelings, but perhaps those depressed feelings are what inspired him to make films?

I listened to his album one night. It was so odd and strange yet bizarrely compelling I listened to it straight through twice. When my friends asked me what it was like, all I could say was um...er...Lynch-y?" :laughing:

I'm not terribly familiar with his films (although I watched and enjoyed Twin Peaks), but I have some respect from the man after seeing a video interview in which he made some extremely perceptive comments on Heidegger's theories. Lots of filmakers and artists like to drop in pop-philosophical and psychological soundbites, but he'd clearly done his reading and had some fascinating ideas derived from it.

Watch The Trailer For “Blue Velvet Revisited” With Unseen Behind The Scenes Video
Back in 1985, David Lynch invited German photographer Peter Braatz over to Wilmington, North Carolina, where he was shooting Blue Velvet. On the movie set, Peter shot 70 reels of Super 80 film and took nearly 1000 photographs. Some of that material was turned into the surreal 1988 documentary, No Frank in Lumberton.

But 70% of Peter’s behind the scenes footage, hours of interviews, and most of his photographs were left unused. Until now…
This teaser features David Lynch, Dennis Hopper, Isabella Rossellini, Kyle MacLachlan (practicing his famous chicken walk!), Laura Dern, Jack Nance and many other cast and crew members on the set of Blue Velvet. It’s just a rough cut with non-digitized B&W footage, but the final feature length documentary will be digitized and in color.

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/blue-velvet-revisited-trailer/

DUNE: The Insanely Complete 3-Hour Fan Cut
You think you’re a fan of Dune? Michael Warren has you beat. He put together this massive super-cut of David Lynch’s cult-classic 1984 film adaptation of Frank Herbert’s Dune comprised of footage from the original theatrical cut, the extended TV cut, and deleted scenes. This labor of fan love resulted in the following three-hour version. Originally done two years ago, an update earlier this year improved sound and video quality of the TV cut insertions.

Michael J. Anderson Accuses Twin Peaks Filmmaker David Lynch of Being a Pedophile Rapist Murderer
By James Woolley -
Aug 6, 2016

In an astonishing online attack, Twin Peaks cult actor Michael J. Anderson has unleashed a disturbing barrage of hate-filled vitriol on esteemed filmmaker David Lynch’s reputation. The ‘revelations’ were posted up by ‘Little Mike’ on his Facebook profile photo.

It reads: “He totally did NOT rape his own under-age daughter and then write a television series about it. She totally has NOT lived under a DEATH THREAT from her own father, all her life if she ever told. He NEVER had his “best friend” murdered. And he DEFINITELY NEVER suggested to me that I should kill myself! There’s a whole bunch of other stuff he never did either.” (http://imgur.com/a/a4V4b)

To be clear, this is 100% stating (in a cover his ass way) that David Lynch not only raped his own daughter (filmmaker) Jennifer Lynch, but then proceeded to threaten her with death if she ever revealed what truly happened. Is he thereby suggesting David strong-armed his daughter into writing Laura Palmer’s memoirs, whereupon she began writing their secrets? Insane.

More text at link...
http://www.alternativenation.net/mi...d-lynch-of-being-a-pedophile-rapist-murderer/

mja david lynch.png

Wonder what has suddenly brought this on?

Poor old Michael J. Anderson seems to have been cracking up for some time. I don't know the reasons, some say it was because he wasn't invited back to the series, others that he wasn't invited back because he's unstable now. I hope he gets help.

One story is that his fees were too high. That sounds like his agent's account.

His exclusion and consequent outburst don't look like something that could have been invented for publicity, though.

Just a bit extreme. I'd go with break-down. :(

Blue Velvet is terryfing, seductive and ahead of its time

David Lynch’s Blue Velvet inspired Tarantino, the Coen brothers and many more. As it turns 30, Nicholas Barber looks back at its influence.
By Nicholas Barber
20 September 2016

Blue Velvet was released 30 years ago in 1986, but David Lynch’s woozy surrealist masterpiece doesn’t quite fit into that decade. Some of the haircuts are definitely from the 1980s, but it pays homage to the film noirs of the 1940s and ‘50s, its two signature ballads, Blue Velvet and In Dreams, were both recorded in 1963. The hero’s detective work could have been lifted from a 1970s cop show. But more than anything, though, Blue Velvet feels as if it is the first film of the 1990s. One reason why so many critics adore it is that it was several years ahead of its time. But that’s one reason why some critics loathe it, too.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20...ng-seductive-and-ahead-of-its-time?ocid=fbcul

Funny they should reference the Coens, I saw Blue Velvet on a double bill with Raising Arizona. Great night at the pictures, that one.

A LOOK AT THE DUNE "COLORING AND ACTIVITY BOOK" FROM 1984...

spice_cookies_23904_465_636_int.jpg

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/..._adapted_from_the_david_lynch_film_are_brilli

‘Lucky’ Review: 90-Year-Old Harry Dean Stanton Gives a Performance for the Ages in Wry Comedy Co-Starring David Lynch — SXSW 2017
John Carroll Lynch's directorial debut is a wise and wistful love letter from one remarkable character actor to another.

David Ehrlich
Mar 11, 2017 5:43 pm
A wise and wistful love letter from one remarkable character actor to another, John Carroll Lynch’s “Lucky” returns 90-year-old Harry Dean Stanton to the dusty desert environs he shuffled through in 1984’s “Paris, Texas,” and offers the rawboned legend one of the best roles he’s had since. Beginning as a broad comedy before blossoming into a wry meditation on death and all the things we leave behind (a transition that kicks into gear when one of Stanton’s old friends shows up and steals the show), Lynch’s directorial debut is a wisp of a movie, blowing across the screen like a tumbleweed, but it’s also the rare portrait of mortality that’s both fun and full of life.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/03/lu...ynch-harry-dean-stanton-sxsw-2017-1201792467/

surprised me, although hes looked old a long time ... in the classic paris texas monologue he indicates travis was "quite a bit older" than jane ... looks like 30 odd years older ...

surprised me, although hes looked old a long time ... in the classic paris texas monologue he indicates travis was "quite a bit older" than jane ... looks like 30 odd years older ...
He has looked like he's in his 60s since the 80s, but the Lucky photo shows him as old as he actually is.

he was in his 60s in the 80s ... to be honest he doesnt look much older in that shot

Currently watching Twin Peaks so I can finally watch Fire Walk with me. I also haven't see the Straight Story or The Elephant man (or I was so young I forgot) but ranking the rest in my opinion

1 Eraserhead
2)Lost Highway
3)Blue Velvet
4)Inland Empire
5)Wild at Heart
6)Mulholland Drive
7)Dune

Also his early short films are awesome they are extras on Eraserhead Criterion blu ray.
Sad to see IMDB boards are gone, but FT boards live on and posters here watch good movies

I haven't read the articles, but I know David Lynch has been heavily in to Transcendental Meditation for a few years
Indeed. An acolyte of Maharesh Mahesh Yogi. He did a tour of lectures through Europe peddling the mantra. Various students recorded bits which were then pooled in a documentary.

Lynch has also released a few fine full albums of his music. I have only just discovered these, but I like #2 better so far.
1. This is soundtrack music.
The Air Is on Fire (2007)

2. The Big Dream (2013)

There's a third somewhere. Will look into it.

Was David lynch ever really in touch with the modern world? ;) His films always seemed like some sort of dream/nightmare state infused with 1950's Americana.

I haven't read the articles, but I know David Lynch has been heavily in to Transcendental Meditation for a few years...said it got rid of his depressed feelings, but perhaps those depressed feelings are what inspired him to make films?

I listened to his album one night. It was so odd and strange yet bizarrely compelling I listened to it straight through twice. When my friends asked me what it was like, all I could say was um...er...Lynch-y?" :laughing:
Been listening to The Big Dream for a month now and regularly. Really like it. Some of the lyrics fed into his latest series of Twin Peaks.

Really looking forward to this - release on dvd in 2 weeks here.

Back in the early 2000's, I remember finding this commercial to be strangely haunting:
I didn't know then it had been directed by David Lynch. In retrospect it should be obvious, but I just didn't think a famous film director would bother making commercials for pregnancy tests!

Back