• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

David Lynch

Two of my American heroes in conversation. Hope to find some more of this.

Looking forward to this Criterion release!

David Lynch releasing 51 minutes of lost footage from ‘Blue Velvet’
February 19, 2019

David Lynch is teaming up with The Criterion Collection to release 51 minutes of previously lost footage of his iconic film Blue Velvet.

The film, a 1986 American neo-noir mystery feature starring the likes of Kyle MacLachlan, Isabella Rossellini, Dennis Hopper, and Laura Dern, is Lynch at his brilliant best.

Typically, the film divided opinion upon its release but still wound up earning Lynch his second Academy Award nomination for Best Director and the film ultimately rose to cult fame among his fans.

Now, it has been revealed that Lynch has uncovered 51 minutes of “The Lost Footage” from production which includes a series of deleted scenes and alternate takes.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/david-lynch-releasing-51-minutes-of-lost-footage-from-blue-velvet/

Last edited:
Tried to watch Lucky (HD Stanton) and it was dead boring. Whomever made that film was clearly hoping for some cred on the back of Harry's rep. It didn't come off at all. The only thing I liked about it was the landscape photography. Such a beautiful part of the world. GIVE ME CACTUS!

I'm currently rewatching Twin Peaks S1 for the third time, and it seems I've remembered nothing from my first two viewings of that season at all. How does Lynch do that - change the whole show from outside the DVD box set? I only watched the bloody thing a year ago. Snippets remained. It's like I'm seeing it for the first time. What a guy.

Born storyteller.

This could be part of one of his films.

E8H-ypvUYAEpCDg.jpeg.jpg

David Lynch is weird. I guess that's his appeal.

You’re weird too. I mean just look atcha. You appeal to David Lynch.

I had no idea Dave and the Woody Woodpeckers had split up! I feel the world has diminished this day.

Lynch has been announced as part of the cast of the new film by... Steven Spielberg! It's a coming of age tale, semi-autobiographical. For Steve, not Dave. Though if it's a success, maybe they can team up for various old man double act adventures on a future project?

Out in November, anyway.

In an interview about Inland Empire's remaster and rerelease, Lynch admits he's finally open to revisiting his Dune footage...

AVC: Some notable filmmakers have returned to their works years later with re-edits, because just as a viewer’s relationship to a piece of art can change over time, so too can a creator’s. Was a new narrative cut something you ever considered with Inland Empire?

DL: No. But Dune—people have said, “Don’t you want to go back and fiddle with Dune?” And I was so depressed and sickened by it, you know? I want to say, I loved everybody that I worked with; they were so fantastic. I loved all the actors; I loved the crew; I loved working in Mexico; I loved everything except that I didn’t have final cut. And I even loved Dino [De Laurentiis], who wouldn’t give me what I wanted [laughs]. And Raffaella, the producer, who was his daughter—I loved her. But the thing was a horrible sadness and failure to me, and if I could go back in I’ve thought, well, maybe I would on that one go back in.

AVC: Really?

DL: Yeah, but I mean, nobody’s…it’s not going to happen.

AVC: Well that’s interesting, because in the past you were always much less open to it.

David Lynch: Yeah, I wanted to walk away. I always say, and it’s true, that with Dune, I sold out before I finished. It’s not like there’s a bunch of gold in the vaults waiting to be cut and put back together. It’s like, early on I knew what Dino wanted and what I could get away with and what I couldn’t. And so I started selling out, and it’s a sad, sad, pathetic, ridiculous story. But I would like to see what is there. I can’t remember, that’s the weird thing [laughs]. I can’t remember. And so it might be interesting—there could be something there. But I don’t think it’s a silk purse. I know it’s a sow’s ear.

https://www-avclub-com.cdn.ampproje...-empire-interview-dune-restoration-1848795394

It could perhaps do with a bit of enhancement to make it more compatible with present-day screen resolutions.
But, generally, I think it doesn't need to have new CGI stuff added (like they did with the first Star Wars films).

If he re-cut a far longer version, I'd give it a go, CGI or no.
I guess he could add the scenes that had been cut out. The cinematic version was still a long film, which was why it was cut down.
Sure, I'd give that a watch too.

Yeah, this is more about putting out a longer version with the discarded scenes. His unwillingness was because some important scenes were never filmed (to save money), so he always said there could never be a proper "directors cut"... But I guess enough time has passed to look at all the footage with fresh eyes. (There was a longer TV cut assembled without Lynch's input, which he disowned and took his name off the credits)

Putting two and two twogether makes two.

I have been having a Lynchian episode playing inside my skull projected from outside:

Just finished watching S1 of psci-fi series From, and at end credits there's a dedication to two dead guys.​
Googled the first name and came up with this sad event from earlier this year, yet the deceased has no connection to my TV show.​
In the report, the deceased died at a remote mountain locale in California called Keddie.​
I Google-mapped the spot and got street view of such a landscape as brought immediately to mind David Lynch and there's a camper trailer right there on the spot.​
lynchthin1.jpg
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@40....SgEcZOk938NXt7f9w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-GB

I think this is in the vicinity of where the Donner Party was halted.

I know it means nothing, yet I felt a sense of loss just looking at this lonely place. I hope David is ok. I've had omenic intuitions regarding our beloved Davids before. I hope he's ok.

Last edited:
Back