Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

Nemo

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
How about a Crunchy Frog. instead?

(sorry for the quality)

========================

Migrating Russian eagles run up huge data roaming charges

Russian scientists tracking migrating eagles ran out of money after some of the birds flew to Iran and Pakistan and their SMS transmitters drew huge data roaming charges.
After learning of the team's dilemma, Russian mobile phone operator Megafon offered to cancel the debt and put the project on a special, cheaper tariff.
The team had started crowdfunding on social media to pay off the bills.
The birds left from southern Russia and Kazakhstan.
The journey of one steppe eagle, called Min, was particularly expensive, as it flew to Iran from Kazakhstan.
Min accumulated SMS messages to send during the summer in Kazakhstan, but it was out of range of the mobile network. Unexpectedly the eagle flew straight to Iran, where it sent the huge backlog of messages.
(c) BBC.'19

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
The cleanest rat in the world.
How did it rinse off? Didn't the soap sting its eyes? . . . I looked for answers on YouTube and found:
. . . which explains that the "washing" motions were due to the creature's (not a rat) attempts to remove the irritating suds, and that the suds were possibly causing it pain.

After seeing rats driving little cars, it was easy to believe rats might learn to wash their "arm" pits, too.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
A Helpful Housekeeping Tip From Captain Obvious: Don't let your animals play with incendiary devices ...
Puppy chewing on lighter sets couch on fire

An Australian woman's home security camera captured the moment her 10-month-old puppy decided to use a lighter as a chew toy and ended up starting a fire.

Dee Borkowski shared security camera footage from her Melbourne home showing Archie, a French bulldog/Boston Terrier mix, chewing on a lighter on her living room couch.

After a few moments, the lighter ignites and the couch bursts into flames.

Borkowski said she saw the flames on CCTV when she checked on Archie and alerted the fire department to extinguish the blaze.

She said the fire didn't spread to any other apartments, but her unit sustained thousands of dollars worth of damage. ...
SOURCE (WITH VIDEO): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/1...ighter-sets-couch-on-fire/1031572284334/?sl=4

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I've heard of cocaine turning people into bores, but never boars turning to cocaine.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
A guard cat.

A lion which was reportedly being used to guard a house in Lagos, Nigeria, has been removed by authorities.

The two-year-old lion was reportedly discovered at a property opposite a school by a task force team on Friday.

It was tranquilised on Monday and transferred to Bogije Omu zoo in Lekki, head of the task force team Yinka Egbeyemi told the BBC.

The owner of the animal has been told to report himself to police before the end of Monday or face arrest.

A team from the Lagos State Environmental Sanitation and Special Offences Unit located the animal after residents filed a petition to the state's ministry of environment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-50465081

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Still just a woof estimate though.

Here’s a better way to convert dog years to human years, scientists say
By Virginia MorellNov. 15, 2019 , 3:42 PM

Our Scotch collie, Buckaroo, is just shy of 14 years old. Following the long-debunked but still popular idea that one dog year equals seven human years, he’s almost a centenarian. (This “formula” may be based on average life spans of 10 and 70 years for dogs and people, respectively.) Now, researchers say they have a new formula (see calculator below) to convert dog years to human years—one with some actual science behind it.

The work is based on a relatively new concept in aging research: that chemical modifications to a person’s DNA over a lifetime create what is known as an epigenetic clock. Scientists have built a case that one such modification, the addition of methyl groups to specific DNA sequences, tracks human biological age—that is, the toll that disease, poor lifestyle, and genetics take on our bodies. As a result, some groups have converted a person’s DNA methylation status to an age estimate—or even a prediction of life expectancy (worrying ethicists, who say the data could be misused by forensic investigators and insurance companies).

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/11/here-s-better-way-convert-dog-years-human-years-scientists-say

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Dog takes a ride (though only in a tight circle) when the driver exits the car ...
Florida dog knocks car into reverse, drives in circles for an hour

Residents of a Florida neighborhood said a car that drove in circles in reverse for about an hour only had a single occupant -- a dog.

Police said the driver of the car in Port St. Lucie had gotten out and left the vehicle running, and the dog then apparently knocked the vehicle into reverse.

Neighbors said the car was moving for about an hour before police were able to stop it.

"First I thought I saw somebody backing up but then they kept going and I'm like OK what are they doing," Sabol told WPBF-TV. "The cops came and I'm like OK."

Police were able to enter a code to open a door, stop the car and rescue the dog.

Sabol said the car hit a mailbox, some garbage cans and some bricks in front of a home while the canine was behind the wheel.

"He was doing pretty good until he hit the mailbox. He went around for about an hour without hitting anything at all," Sabol told WPTV.
SOURCE (With Video of Scene & Owner Interview):
https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/1...es-in-circles-for-an-hour/2331574437777/?sl=3

skinny

Class of 1984
Reaction score
Thousands of 'penis fish' washed ashore on a Californian beach
That's the annual running of the dicks.
Happens only on the lower west coast.
It's a by-product of global warming. Or as it's known here, Male Dominance Hierarchy Disorder.
MDHD for short ... er I mean centimetrically-challenged.