Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
he was on duty the night the fires broke out.
Loyalty is in their genes. By coincidence, I watched a Youtube video last week about a lady with a house full of these huge guardians. It seems they hope mainly to protect the herd by their sheer bulk - they are not aggressive dogs.

I knew one by his name, many years ago. Pancho was tethered and spent his days as a guard-dog, pathetically grateful for any treats or attention. How we wanted to take him with us, after our weekly visits! :(

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Safety cat.

Footage from South Africa shows a leopard giving her cubs one of the most important lessons in a busy national park: how to cross the road.

The clip shows the leopard stepping onto the road at Kruger National Park to ensure the scene was safe. Then, once she determined no threat, the big cat fetched her two cubs. But one of the cubs needed a little more help than the other and cried out for its mother, as seen in the footage posted online by Latest Sightings: ...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/leopard-cubs-cross-road_n_5ea658ffc5b6dd3f9086e10a

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Safety cat.

Footage from South Africa shows a leopard giving her cubs one of the most important lessons in a busy national park: how to cross the road.

The clip shows the leopard stepping onto the road at Kruger National Park to ensure the scene was safe. Then, once she determined no threat, the big cat fetched her two cubs. But one of the cubs needed a little more help than the other and cried out for its mother, as seen in the footage posted online by Latest Sightings: ...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/leopard-cubs-cross-road_n_5ea658ffc5b6dd3f9086e10a

They're such beautiful creatures. Why anyone would ever decide that they would look better as a rug in front of a fireplace remains a mystery to me.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
The Dead Parrot Kvetch:

"Sale of defective parrot leads to B.C. lawsuit

There's legal precedent, and then there's Monty Python.

The two overlapped this week when a British Columbia small claims court sided with a Salt Spring Island resident who sued another man for allegedly selling him a defective parrot.

An Eclectus parrot. (Not dead).

According to the Civil Resolution Tribunal decision, Michael Davy said he noticed the parrot — Tiberius — was missing a few tail feathers when he bought it but was told the bird was only "molting and had clipped wings but was otherwise healthy."

But to paraphrase one of the British comedy troupe's most beloved sketches, in which an irate customer confronts a shopkeeper who sold him a dead parrot — the plumage didn't enter into it.

Tiberius should have had a life expectancy of up to 40 years. Davy soon learned he had a fatal disease and — in fact — faced the prospect of becoming an ex-parrot in a just a fraction of that time.

"I find that there was an implied warranty in the parties' contract that Tiberius would be healthy for at least six months," wrote tribunal member Julie Gibson. "Instead, Tiberius became very ill within weeks of the applicant's purchase."

And he wasn't just pining for the fjords.

A veterinarian diagnosed Tiberius with psittacine beak and feather disease (PBFD), "an extremely contagious and lethal virus" that is usually contracted "from a contaminated environment or directly from an infected bird."

Even with medication he had between "weeks and several years to live."

Davy paid Akhtar Kidwai $2,100 for Tiberius.

Gibson did find that B.C.'s Sale of Goods Act applied to the parrot's purchase. The law carries an "implied warranty" that a "good will be durable for a reasonable period having regard to the use to which it would normally be put and to all the surrounding circumstances."

Given the life expectancy of the average Eclectus parrot, Gibson said Davy had every right to expect Tiberius to be healthy for at least six months after buying the bird.

She found that Davy had received some "benefit" from owning Tiberius — awarding him 75 per cent of the purchase price as a refund.

Gibson also ordered Kidwai to pay Davy's veterinary bills, bringing the total award to just under $1,900.

The judgment does not specify the current state of Tiberius's health.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/parrot-lawsuit-civil-dispute-1.5544536

"There is no word on whether the Pet Shop owner ripped off his jacket, exposing a flannel shirt and sang about how his life’s goal was to be a lumberjack who “cut down trees. I wear high heels, suspenders, and a bra.” And wishes, “I’d been a girlie, Just like my dear Papa." "

https://lidblog.com/monty-python-dead-parrot/

maximus otter

Reaction score
The Dead Parrot Kvetch:

"Sale of defective parrot leads to B.C. lawsuit

There's legal precedent, and then there's Monty Python.

The two overlapped this week when a British Columbia small claims court sided with a Salt Spring Island resident who sued another man for allegedly selling him a defective parrot.

An Eclectus parrot. (Not dead).

According to the Civil Resolution Tribunal decision, Michael Davy said he noticed the parrot — Tiberius — was missing a few tail feathers when he bought it but was told the bird was only "molting and had clipped wings but was otherwise healthy."

But to paraphrase one of the British comedy troupe's most beloved sketches, in which an irate customer confronts a shopkeeper who sold him a dead parrot — the plumage didn't enter into it.

Tiberius should have had a life expectancy of up to 40 years. Davy soon learned he had a fatal disease and — in fact — faced the prospect of becoming an ex-parrot in a just a fraction of that time.

"I find that there was an implied warranty in the parties' contract that Tiberius would be healthy for at least six months," wrote tribunal member Julie Gibson. "Instead, Tiberius became very ill within weeks of the applicant's purchase."

And he wasn't just pining for the fjords.

A veterinarian diagnosed Tiberius with psittacine beak and feather disease (PBFD), "an extremely contagious and lethal virus" that is usually contracted "from a contaminated environment or directly from an infected bird."

Even with medication he had between "weeks and several years to live."

Davy paid Akhtar Kidwai $2,100 for Tiberius.

Gibson did find that B.C.'s Sale of Goods Act applied to the parrot's purchase. The law carries an "implied warranty" that a "good will be durable for a reasonable period having regard to the use to which it would normally be put and to all the surrounding circumstances."

Given the life expectancy of the average Eclectus parrot, Gibson said Davy had every right to expect Tiberius to be healthy for at least six months after buying the bird.

She found that Davy had received some "benefit" from owning Tiberius — awarding him 75 per cent of the purchase price as a refund.

Gibson also ordered Kidwai to pay Davy's veterinary bills, bringing the total award to just under $1,900.

The judgment does not specify the current state of Tiberius's health.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/parrot-lawsuit-civil-dispute-1.5544536

"There is no word on whether the Pet Shop owner ripped off his jacket, exposing a flannel shirt and sang about how his life’s goal was to be a lumberjack who “cut down trees. I wear high heels, suspenders, and a bra.” And wishes, “I’d been a girlie, Just like my dear Papa." "

https://lidblog.com/monty-python-dead-parrot/

maximus otter

The Eclectus Parrot is known for its extreme sexual dimorphism. Here is a photo of a male and female together.

Eclectus_roratus-20030511.jpg

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Dutch cattle pop clogs in wolf attacks.

Wolves are believed to have killed four Highland cattle calves on a Dutch nature reserve in the Brabant region of the Netherlands close to Belgium.

The one-year-old calves had their throats bitten and their organs eaten in a method of killing which is typical of wolves. The killings occurred on the Kievitsloop reserve near the De Groote Peel National Park over the past three weeks

“I didn’t know the wolf was so active here,” said Jos Leenders, the farmer, whose herd of 150 traditional Highland cattle keeps grass down on the region’s nature reserves. DNA tests will confirm whether wolves were to blame. Local farmers are concerned that more livestock will be lost in the coming weeks.

At least 165 sheep were killed by wolves in the Netherlands in 2018 but there have not been any confirmed sightings in the area of the latest attacks.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...lf-attacks-after-cattle-deaths-zj02j2925?t=ie

Last edited:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
A rare bit of news.

A 57-year-old man has died and two people have been injured following a water buffalo attack in Wales, police have said.

A 19-year-old man was critically injured and a 22-year-old woman suffered a serious leg injury following the incident in Gwehelog, Monmouthshire.

A statement from Gwent Police said: "We received a report of an incident at a commercial property in Gwehelog, Monmouthshire, at around 2.50pm on Tuesday, after two men and a woman were attacked by a water buffalo."

https://news.sky.com/story/man-dies...g-attacked-by-water-buffalo-in-wales-11983680

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A rare bit of news.

A 57-year-old man has died and two people have been injured following a water buffalo attack in Wales, police have said.

A 19-year-old man was critically injured and a 22-year-old woman suffered a serious leg injury following the incident in Gwehelog, Monmouthshire.

A statement from Gwent Police said: "We received a report of an incident at a commercial property in Gwehelog, Monmouthshire, at around 2.50pm on Tuesday, after two men and a woman were attacked by a water buffalo."

https://news.sky.com/story/man-dies...g-attacked-by-water-buffalo-in-wales-11983680
Rare indeed. I would assume that water buffalo attacks in Wales aren't a frequent occurrence.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Pig bite:

https://m.9gag.com/gag/aGdw9PK

From the comments:

You need at least sixteen pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a body that weighs 200 pounds in about eight minutes. That means that a single pig can consume two pounds of uncooked flesh every minute.

And:

This is "Pig Beach" in Bahamas. Caution because those pigs doesn't have a good life at all !
The weater is way too hot for them (they have to cover their noses by putting them under the sand)
They don't have a lot of thing to eat, they are starving and that's the reason why they are letting humans approach them et touch them : humans are their only way to eat and survive !
Tourists are mistaken by thinking that they are happy and friendly and in good wealth, but the true reality is that they are starving cash machines begging for food...

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
A bull knocks out power to 700 homes while scratching his butt ...
Bull scratching itself on utility pole knocks out power to 700 homes

A bull attempting to alleviate an "itchy bum" using a utility pole ended up knocking out the electricity for more than 700 homes in a Scottish town.

Hazel Laughton posted an apology to a local Facebook group after her 4-year-old bull, Ron, rubbed up against a utility pole and ended up knocking the transformer box to the ground.

"Our bull Ron would like to apologize to everyone in Chapelton and Strathaven for causing last nights power cut to over 700 homes," Laughton wrote. "He had [an] itchy bum so [he] scratched it on the electricity pole and knocked the transformer box off."

She said Ron is "happy to be alive" after managing to avoid an 11,000 volt shock from the fallen transformer box. ...
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...-knocks-out-power-to-700-homes/3141589475546/

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
He'd be stuffed without the wheelchair.

Bill the turkey is on the road to recovery, thanks to his one-of-a-kind wheelchair!

After first making a trip to the vet for guidance on how to treat the 60 lb. turkey’s "bum foot," his caretakers at the Odd Man Inn Animal Refuge were told that in addition to caring for his injury, Bill needed to lose some weight.

Recognizing that they’d need to think outside of the box to figure out a way to keep Bill active while still protecting his injury, they decided to create the first-ever turkey wheelchair, which they converted from a Walkin’ Wheels wheelchair, originally designed for a dog,

In order to make the wheelchair usable, the farm added in a makeshift sling, which supports Bill from underneath, enabling him to get in all the exercise he needs without being weighed down.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good...heelchair-—-the-first-of-its-kind/ar-BB14tuE1

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
He'd be stuffed without the wheelchair.

Bill the turkey is on the road to recovery, thanks to his one-of-a-kind wheelchair!

After first making a trip to the vet for guidance on how to treat the 60 lb. turkey’s "bum foot," his caretakers at the Odd Man Inn Animal Refuge were told that in addition to caring for his injury, Bill needed to lose some weight.

Recognizing that they’d need to think outside of the box to figure out a way to keep Bill active while still protecting his injury, they decided to create the first-ever turkey wheelchair, which they converted from a Walkin’ Wheels wheelchair, originally designed for a dog,

In order to make the wheelchair usable, the farm added in a makeshift sling, which supports Bill from underneath, enabling him to get in all the exercise he needs without being weighed down.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-news/injured-turkey-is-taking-his-first-steps-thanks-to-custom-wheelchair-—-the-first-of-its-kind/ar-BB14tuE1
I love turkeys. Especially with a side of bread stuffing and gravy on top.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Flying turtle smashes windshield and "frags" passenger with shattered glass ...
A turtle smashed through a woman's windshield while she was driving on the highway

A woman in Georgia was left shell shocked when a turtle went flying across the highway and through her windshield, nearly striking her passenger in the face.

Latonya Lark was driving along Harry S. Truman Parkway in Savannah with her brother, Kevin Grant, on May 19 to run a few errands. In a split second, the pair found themselves face to face with an unlucky turtle.

"I saw out of the corner of my eye what I thought was a brick," Lark told CNN. "I told my brother, 'Oh my God there's a brick flying across the highway.' No sooner than I said that, it impacted my vehicle. It scared me so bad, it sounded like a bomb went off and glass went all over my brother."

If she hadn't slowed down when she did, the turtle may have gone entirely through the windshield and hit her brother in the face, "probably decapitating him," the small business owner said.

"I just remember shielding myself while my sister screamed my name," Grant told CNN. "After the turtle hit the glass, she was literally in shock and kept driving. I was the one covered in blood and telling her to calm down and call 911."

Fortunately, Grant only suffered from minor cuts from the broken glass. The turtle, however, was met with a much more unfortunate fate: it died.

The Chatham County Police Department told CNN affiliate WSAV they are unsure how the turtle ended up airborne. The siblings suspect another vehicle struck the turtle, and it ended up soaring across the other side of the highway. ...
SOURCE: https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/27/us/turtle-driver-windshield-savannah-trnd/index.html