Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Dog Steals Reporters Microphone On Live Broadcast

In Moscow. Video at link.

41290006-0-image-a-9_1617438210215.jpg

Dick Turpin

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
(Transplanted from the Magpies thread)

It is sort of common when you are growing up and injury is rare.

You've just got to keep your head down, shield your eyes, and get out of their nesting zone. They'll leave you alone once you've put distance between you and the nest.

Not a magpie story, but last summer the missus & I was out walking, when we were attacked by a buzzard (which I didn’t even think existed living wild in Britain)

The Buzzard didn’t attack from the air, but instead ran out from underneath a hedgerow, wings a flapping and hissing and spitting at us. We tried to ignore it by just carrying on walking, but the thing decided to attack. It came at me first and well discretion being the better part of valour, I ran for it. It chased me for about 30 yards back up the country lane, and I continued to run until I heard my wife scream. I stopped and turned, only to see the Buzzard was now chasing Mrs DT and Junior DT.

It gave up after a while, but now we were all standing 100 yards apart from each other in this quiet country lane, with the angry buzzard in between us, still flapping her wings and hissing and spitting.

Wondering what to do next, I used a tactic, that I’d always wondered would work if I was ever attacked an animal in the wild - I decided to run at the bird as fast as I could whilst shouting obscenities at it.

At first it seemed as if the Buzzard was up for a fight and I began to question my decision, but finally it backed off and started to run away.

Unfortunately it ran in the direction of where Mrs DT and my son were standing, so they had no choice but to run for it too. So picture a 47 year old woman running down a country lane, dragging her terrified 7 year old son with her, behind them a large bird of prey, who’s now in full retreat from a 49 year old man effing and blinding at the top of his voice.

The Buzzard eventually ran underneath another hedgerow and disappeared from sight. As we stood there catching our breaths, we heard uncontrollable laughter coming from behind. We turned, and there was a farmer sitting atop his tractor in fits of hysterics, clapping his beefy hands together and wiping tears of laughter away from his big red face. He said it was the funniest thing he had seen in years.

We simultaneously gave the farmer the middle finger, and sloped off home :)

Last edited by a moderator:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score

Dick Turpin

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
“...the commonest and most widespread UK bird of prey.”

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/buzzard/

Bizarre tale, though. l can’t help thinking that it must have been sick or injured. l’m not surprised, with an attitude like that...

maximus otter

Not being a country boy Max, I wouldn’t really know.

My next door neighbour is a country girl though, and told me it’s very common for Buzzards to attack. Walkers, joggers and cyclists apparently.

It did give us a bit of a fright, although back in the comfort of our living room we both saw the funny side – my son however said that’s the last time he comes out walking with us. :D

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Pig saves its own bacon in a daring escape on the way to the slaughterhouse.

"Smallholder Sarah Allan, from Langtree in north Devon, had been driving three pigs to an abattoir 11 miles (18km) away in Holsworthy.

But when she arrived she was astonished to find that one of the animals had jumped out of the trailer. It was later found in a field in Milton Damerel.

Ms Allan said: "I don't think I have it in me to send him back."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56680210

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
An Indian gang who committed robberies aided by their trained monkeys have been arrested following a rickshaw stick-up.
Criminal gang who trained monkeys to steal cash from unsuspecting victims arrested

Police in India have arrested two men for training monkeys to steal cash and other items of value.

The Indian capital New Delhi has long had a problem with marauding gangs of monkeys attacking members of the public for food and more recently for valuables.

Now it has emerged that at least one criminal gang has been exploiting the mischievous little creatures and using them in street robberies.

In March, a local lawyer was robbed of 6,000 rupees (about £60) in the south of the city by three men who used monkeys to intimidate him as he was travelling in a rickshaw. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/criminal-gang-who-trained-monkeys-23901104

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This guy thinks the fox is being friendly. Call me a skeptical, but I'm thinking rabies...

I was living for a short time in a room on a old grange house, there was a big pond in the grounds that i took to looking after, cleaning the pumps/filters, feeding the fish etc, i would go out first thing with my coffee to feed the fish and sit by the pond and a juvenile fox would often come up to me and sit by my feet, it wanted to eat the fish but i made sure the net was secure over the pond, so i would take it out a biscuit every morning and it would delicately take it from my hand.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
At least one South African poacher was stomped to death by elephants as he and two accomplices fled from rangers.
Suspected poacher killed by elephants at South African national park

A suspected poacher was killed by a herd of breeding elephants that he encountered while fleeing from park rangers, according to South African officials.

Three people attempted to run away after they were spotted by rangers at the Kruger National Park, one of Africa's largest game reserves, on Saturday, South African National Parks officials said. ...

Rangers later discovered the man "badly trampled" and dead from his injuries. ...

Investigators say they are still searching for the third suspect, who continued to flee after he suffered an injury to the eye. ...

FULL STORY: https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa...south-african-national-park/story?id=77151086

Ascalon

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
A reading of the full article at the link provided may assist.

maximus otter
The film was supposedly shot in England so rabies would be extremely unlikely.

I think you are right there.

The animal is clear eyed and alert, even if it is displaying unusual behaviour.

Rabid animals are usually drooling, shaking, and generally looking in rough condition.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I bet they were shell shocked.

A woman travelling with her daughter on a motorway in Florida suffered a gashed forehead when a turtle smashed through the windscreen of their car.

The 71-year-old’s daughter pulled over and got help from another motorist after the incident on Interstate 95, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reported.

According to a 911 recording, both were surprised by what they found.

“There is a turtle in there,” the man can be overheard saying.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40272452.html

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
From what I've read about wolverine; they're one animal that I would not particularly want to come into contact with. Here in Britain we have the weasel and stoat.
View attachment 37308

We also have the Patterdale terrier. Horrifying little balls of anger that will bite ANYONE and ANYTHING if they see fit. Wolverines, yes, maybe, but you're not going to find one tied up outside the local supermarket.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
I bet they were shell shocked.

A woman travelling with her daughter on a motorway in Florida suffered a gashed forehead when a turtle smashed through the windscreen of their car.

The 71-year-old’s daughter pulled over and got help from another motorist after the incident on Interstate 95, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reported.

According to a 911 recording, both were surprised by what they found.

“There is a turtle in there,” the man can be overheard saying.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40272452.html
I saw this in another thread, too. Seems like it would also fit in the "Out of Place Animals" thread. Since when do turtles fly? If it gets adopted, it should be named Icarus.

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
Reaction score
I saw this in another thread, too. Seems like it would also fit in the "Out of Place Animals" thread. Since when do turtles fly? If it gets adopted, it should be named Icarus.
In this latest account, the turtle was said to have been kicked up from another vehicle. I'm still trying to figure out what this means and how it could occur without decimating the turtle (it apparently lived through both the flying and the crashing parts).

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
In this latest account, the turtle was said to have been kicked up from another vehicle. I'm still trying to figure out what this means and how it could occur without decimating the turtle (it apparently lived through both the flying and the crashing parts).

Only Touché Turtle could have survived that.

Touchedum.jpg

Frasier Buddolph

CAUTION: May not know what he's talking about.
Reaction score

I've seen this happen when a car's tire just catches the edge of the turtle's shell and flips it into the air. Think tiddlywinks.