• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

You can't go down to the beach these days without getting mugged:

View attachment 22769

Bovvered, me? I've got my crew beside me:

great-black-backed-gull-img_4306c2a9-maria-de-bruyn.jpg

maximus otter

Amazing the driver got out of that one!

Could almost go in piss poor journalism

Walrus Attacks & Sinks Russian Navy Boat

The article claims it sunk this boat:

ek96uGqyEeDZdxwMykAeaT-320-80.jpg

Which struck me as a bit unlikely. However, this report says it attacked & sunk a rubber landing craft launched from the boat.

The boat sank, but a tragedy was avoided thanks to the prompt action by the squad leader. All landing participants safely reached the shore,» a press update from the Geographical Society reads.

Sad, at least it was only days so he wasn't totally devoured.

Three starving dogs were found eating their owner after he died of natural causes, police said.

Authorities were called to the 67-year-old man’s house in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania after a family member checked in on the man, who had not been heard from in days, and saw his body partially eaten. The man, who has not been identified, reportedly had three large dogs who were in the process of mauling his body when he was found. His sister, Renee Melvin, said: ‘When I came around knocking on the door, the dogs came to the window, I didn’t know he had three dogs.’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/23/starving-dogs-ate-owner-died-natural-causes-12112120/

It appears that this happens far more frequently than you perhaps might like to imagine. Around 8 years ago, there was a chap who lived alone who died in our town. It was not until 5 days later that his neighbours noticed that they had not seen him about, although his car was parked and knocked on his door to no response.
The local police officer (a friend my wife and I went to school with) was the first responder and gained entrance to find him dead (heart attack) and naked on his bathroom floor. His two small dogs had eaten most of his testicles and penis and part of his face away. The other surprise was the massive dildo suction cupped onto the bathroom wall.

Last edited:
'Biblical plague' of bats forces town into lockdown

Thousands of bats have taken over a town with residents afraid to leave home or take their children to school.

0_https___prodstatic9net.jpg

The 'bat-tornado' was so intense that the local hospital's air ambulance was grounded as they made it impossible to fly.

The flying animals have taken over the town of Ingham in North Queensland, but they are a protected species so very little can be done.

Trees around one primary school are full of the upside down fruit bats, with many parents refusing to send their children to school until they are gone.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/biblical-plague-bats-forces-town-21442650

maximus otter

'Biblical plague' of bats forces town into lockdown
Thousands of bats have taken over a town with residents afraid to leave home or take their children to school.
The 'bat-tornado' was so intense that the local hospital's air ambulance was grounded as they made it impossible to fly.
The flying animals have taken over the town of Ingham in North Queensland, but they are a protected species so very little can be done.
Trees around one primary school are full of the upside down fruit bats, with many parents refusing to send their children to school until they are gone.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/biblical-plague-bats-forces-town-21442650

maximus otter
' "It just seems to me that every bat in Australia is now in Ingham," Mayor of Hinchinbrook Council Raymon Jayo says.'
Dangerous situation for both humans and bats! Maybe the natural habitat where the bats came from needs to be restored? Sounds like the fires this season aren't responsible, since the bats have been increasing for years.

His two small dogs had eaten most of his testicles and penis and part of his face away. The other surprise was the massive dildo suction cupped onto the bathroom wall.
Death is merciless.

Baboon who was being sent for 'the snip' decided to give his keepers the slip, perhaps with a little assistance...

baboons.jpg

Baboons outside Sydney hospital escaped from 'research facility'
NSW Police say a group of baboons that were on the loose outside a Sydney hospital escaped from a nearby research facility.
Police told nine.com.au officers were on the scene outside Royal Prince Alfred Hospital after being contacted at about 5.30pm yesterday.

They later confirmed the three baboons had escaped from a research facility. They also said the situation was controlled.

"Just after 5.30pm officers from inner west police area command were called to a car park on Missenden Road and Lucas Street, Camperdown, after reports three baboons escaped while being transported," a NSW police spokeswoman said.
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...research-facility/ar-BB10m1Ga?ocid=spartanntp

Using her tail as a decoy!

I've heard of mongoose versus diamond back snake before, I didn't realise squirrels were this hard.

I think they are immune or at least partially immune to snake venom.

While we are on the subject of snakes... Did you know that those old western movies that used to show the trick shot of the cowboy shooting off the head of the snake were not fake? The truth is that the snake actually jumps to attack the bullet that's why it's so easy to shoot them in the head.

Crufts 2020 winner, Maisy the Daschund, does her round of honour for the crowd then does a massive poo :)

Did you know that those old western movies that used to show the trick shot of the cowboy shooting off the head of the snake were not fake? The truth is that the snake actually jumps to attack the bullet that's why it's so easy to shoot them in the head.

I’m going to shoot this story down (see what l did there?)

One of the most popular revolvers for self-defence in the cowboy era was the Colt Single Action Army revolver of 1873. lts most common chambering was in .45 Colt. That cartridge launched its bullet at roughly 1,000 feet per second.

A snake can strike 6” in 70 milliseconds. A big rattler might attain a length of 7’, and can strike defensively only to about 2/3rds of its body length.

I can therefore see no reason why anyone would want to waste an expensive cartridge by shooting a snake more than ten feet away, so a bullet from a Colt will strike the snake in less than 1/100th of a second after firing. That’s not enough time for the snake to move its head one inch, even ignoring its reaction time.

So: an entertaining story, but impossible in real life.

maximus otter

I’m going to shoot this story down (see what l did there?)

One of the most popular revolvers for self-defence in the cowboy era was the Colt Single Action Army revolver of 1873. lts most common chambering was in .45 Colt. That cartridge launched its bullet at roughly 1,000 feet per second.

A snake can strike 6” in 70 milliseconds. A big rattler might attain a length of 7’, and can strike defensively only to about 2/3rds of its body length.

I can therefore see no reason why anyone would want to waste an expensive cartridge by shooting a snake more than ten feet away, so a bullet from a Colt will strike the snake in less than 1/100th of a second after firing. That’s not enough time for the snake to move its head one inch, even ignoring its reaction time.

So: an entertaining story, but impossible in real life.

maximus otter

This story/study says it is true...

They say to kill a rattlesnake, just shoot in its general direction and it’ll intercept the bullet, inadvertently killing itself.

The lunging movements of rattlesnakes and other vipers have been described as “lightning fast” and the “fastest strike on the planet.” The G forces they employ to capture their food would be enough to cause even experienced jet pilots to black out.

Snakes rely on their ultra-quick ability to strike in order to eat and to defend themselves. When necessary, they can hit a target in as little as 50 to 90 milliseconds. For the sake of comparison, a blink of an eye takes 202 milliseconds.

“It’s such a cheesy sentence but it’s literally true: They strike within a blink of an eye,” said David Penning, who studies functional morphology at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.

https://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-fast-snake-strikes-20160316-story.html

This story/study says it is true...

Au contraire, it doesn't.

Paragraph A: It quotes the old wives' tale. Cut.

Paragraph B: It says that snakes strike fast. At no point does it say "...fast enough to intercept a bullet".

maximus otter

Au contraire, it doesn't.

Paragraph A: It quotes the old wives' tale. Cut.

Paragraph B: It says that snakes strike fast. At no point does it say "...fast enough to intercept a bullet".

maximus otter

Okay.

I certainly don't want to see a study done on it. That would mean a lot of dead snakes for very little reason.

I do have to admit that I have seen it done. The snake has to be poised and ready to strike. The gun was within 10 feet of the snake when it fired. I don't remember what kind of gun was used except that it was a hand gun. I was 12 years old at the time.

Back