• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

I'd put money on this being utter bollocks but anyway..

Mum 'attacked by 100 rats which bit her legs and ran up her body in London park'

No photos of said bites & bruises.

I wonder with stories like this how it happens. Did the woman simply contact the Mirror with the story & they print it with no question? I suppose if nothing else it's clickbait which the Mirror wouldn't be averse to.
Would you believe that they've even put this tale on World News! Bonkers.

A worker at a Chilean safari park was attacked and killed by a tiger while she was performing maintenance work.
Tiger kills woman working at Chilean safari park

A young woman working at a Chilean safari park died on Friday after a tiger attacked her, police said.

The woman, who has not been identified by police, was among staff cleaning and performing maintenance work in the big cats' enclosure at a safari park in the city of Rancagua, 90 kilometers (60 miles) south of the capital Santiago.

Visitors drive through the safari feature, where animals can move freely. When staff are working in the area, animals are confined in enclosures. ...

Williams Espinoza of the Rancagua police said the woman's ordeal was brief. "She did not realize that the door of the animal's cage was open and was immediately attacked by this tiger, causing her death on the spot," he said.

The safari park was closed while police investigated. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/07/americas/tiger-kills-woman-chile-intl-hnk/index.html

Ha! Nice one:)
Reminds me of when I was working for the Forestry Commission in Scotland, the task we had set was to clear away weeds & grasses from around some recently planted young Norway Spruce's, by slashing away around them with a short hand sickle tool.
All went well until I must have accidentally hacked right through an underground wasps nest!

Within less than a second, I was stung all over - head; stomach, chest, legs with 15 stings in all. Had me on tender hooks for days after when in the Forest, and I suppose I had shock from it without realising it, as it created a metallic taste in my mouth for weeks on end, other than that I was alright.

The foreman (who was laughing his head off - along with the rest of our crew, that is until next day when he got out of the cab (he was driving the Landrover) went inspecting another part of the Forest, and as we watched him walk towards a darker section of the trees we all waited for him to scream out - as we could all see an oversize hornet (as we thought) about 50 feet away from him making a 'Bee-line' directly towards him just before it stung him on the back of his neck. He also did an unchoreographed highland fling that day, just like I did the previous day, only I was wearing a red tartan shirt on that day. . . which is probably why I had all those stings as they couldn't miss the target!

Last edited:
It's revenge for cutting down his forest.

Parrot steals a phone.
I like the video, but ...

Do you think the parrot actually snatched the phone and was carrying it? The way the video tilts to match the bird's flight orientation makes me think this was a camera attached to the bird rather than something the bird was carrying.

A model posing for photos with a leopard, at a home for retired animals, was severely mauled.

"A 36-year-old model has been mauled by a leopard during a photoshoot that went wrong at a retirement home for show animals in eastern Germany.

The woman, described as an animal lover as well as a photo model, suffered serious head injuries inside an enclosure that is home to two leopards, Troy and Paris.

Police said she was taken to hospital on Tuesday with serious injuries.

A mobile alert that the leopard had then run away turned out to be false."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58329080

Last edited:

Do you think the parrot actually snatched the phone and was carrying it? The way the video tilts to match the bird's flight orientation makes me think this was a camera attached to the bird rather than something the bird was carrying.
No I do not 'EnolaGaia,' but it was carrying it. As becomes apparent when the bird sits on the white wall near the end of play. If the phone was in the grasp of one of the birds foot claws, then it would not have a view looking down at the street below with two men looking up at it. I believe the phone might well have been strapped to it's underbody/breast area.

Last edited:

I was suspecting a Gopro, but went along with the title.

Let us drape this snake around your daughter's neck, they said ... Yes, it's venomous, but it's never attacked anyone before, they said ...
snakebitRussiangirl.jpg
Girl, 5, bitten on face by venomous snake at Russian petting zoo

A little girl visiting Russia’s Butterflies Park petting zoo recently learned that not all of the animals there are truly ideal for petting.

Five-year-old Viktoria was interacting with a rufous beaked snake when the predatory reptile curled around her neck and bit her on the face in an interaction caught on viral video. It was only after she was bitten that a staff member removed the reptile — a mildly venomous breed that hails from East Africa — and the girl was taken to a hospital for treatment. (Hospitalization was done as a safety measure, as the snake’s venom is mild and the bite no stronger than the prick of a syringe.)

“We called an ambulance and took the child to hospital to be examined,” Viktoria’s father, Vladimir, told wire service East2West. “The zoo staff said that the snake does not attack people at all.” ...

It is not clear why the snake — which zoo workers say had never before attacked anyone — decided to nip the child, but it’s possible it was due to what was in her belly: Viktoria had reportedly eaten a chicken dinner before handling the snake. She had also been playing with the petting zoo’s chicks before moving on to the reptiles.

“Snakes are very sensitive to smell,” explained reptile expert Ekaterina Uvarova, East2West reported. “If it was hungry and the girl smelled of prey like chicks, this might provoke the snake to bite her.”

Another possibility is that the snake had the reptile equivalent of a panic attack due to “excessive attention” from visitors, Uvarova added.

“An animal that is being touched all the time, which has nowhere to hide and rest, and is in constant stress. It is never good,” she said, calling for petting zoos to be banned. ...
FULL STORY: https://nypost.com/2021/08/30/girl-5-bitten-on-face-by-venomous-snake-at-petting-zoo/

SLIDELL, La. (AP) — A man had his arm ripped off by a large alligator while walking through floodwaters from Hurricane Ida and is now missing, a Louisiana sheriff said.

The 71-year-old man’s wife told sheriff’s deputies that she heard a commotion around noon on Monday, then walked outside to see the gator attacking her husband in the New Orleans suburb of Slidell, the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Office said in a statement.

According to the woman, the alligator “had him in a death roll,” sheriff’s Capt. Lance Vitter told The Times-Picayune/The New Orleans Advocate.

The gator tore off the man’s arm, leaving him unconscious, the woman told authorities.

When the attack stopped, the man’s wife pulled him out of the floodwaters and ran inside to get first aid supplies. When she realized how serious his injuries were, she got into her canoe and paddled to higher ground about a mile away to get help, the sheriff’s office said in a statement. When she returned with deputies, he was gone.

The sheriff’s office, which did not identify the man, said it used high-water vehicles and boats in an attempt to find him, “but all attempts have been futile.”

The sheriff’s office is warning residents to be on guard while walking in flooded areas as wildlife — including gators, black bears, poisonous snakes and feral hogs — may have been displaced during Ida and moved closer to neighborhoods.

Pandemic-related closure of Bali to tourists has left local macaques without their usual source of easy food and treats. Now the local residents are fearful of what the monkeys may do.
With no tourist handouts, hungry Bali monkeys raid homes

Deprived of their preferred food source — the bananas, peanuts and other goodies brought in by tourists now kept away by the coronavirus — hungry monkeys on the resort island of Bali have taken to raiding villagers’ homes in their search for something tasty. ...

The Sangeh Monkey Forest typically had about 6,000 visitors a month, but as the pandemic spread last year and international travel dropped off dramatically, that number dropped to about 500.

Since July, when Indonesia banned all foreign travelers to the island and shut the sanctuary to local residents as well, there has been nobody.

Not only has that meant nobody bringing in extra food for the monkeys, the sanctuary has also lost out on its admission fees and is running low on money to purchase food for them ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/oddities-europe-785b3f9da8fcabae7f8dd93aa98ff69c

Hull grandmother (48) terrorised by pigeons.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/new.../hull-grans-enduring-pigeon-nightmare-5901564

This reminds me of when my in-laws neighbours asked the mother-in-law to stop feeding the pigeons in her garden. It was costing them a fortune having to keep cleaning the conservatory roof.

The father-in-law was also somewhat relieved as he was now saving £35 per week not having to buy bird seed.

Hull grandmother (48) terrorised by pigeons.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/new.../hull-grans-enduring-pigeon-nightmare-5901564

This reminds me of when my in-laws neighbours asked the mother-in-law to stop feeding the pigeons in her garden. It was costing them a fortune having to keep cleaning the conservatory roof.

The father-in-law was also somewhat relieved as he was now saving £35 per week not having to buy bird seed.

£35 a week? Sounds like they were feeding Rocs not pigeons.

SLIDELL, La. (AP) — A man had his arm ripped off by a large alligator while walking through floodwaters from Hurricane Ida and is now missing, a Louisiana sheriff said.

The 71-year-old man’s wife told sheriff’s deputies that she heard a commotion around noon on Monday, then walked outside to see the gator attacking her husband in the New Orleans suburb of Slidell, the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Office said in a statement.

According to the woman, the alligator “had him in a death roll,” sheriff’s Capt. Lance Vitter told The Times-Picayune/The New Orleans Advocate.

The gator tore off the man’s arm, leaving him unconscious, the woman told authorities.

When the attack stopped, the man’s wife pulled him out of the floodwaters and ran inside to get first aid supplies. When she realized how serious his injuries were, she got into her canoe and paddled to higher ground about a mile away to get help, the sheriff’s office said in a statement. When she returned with deputies, he was gone.

The sheriff’s office, which did not identify the man, said it used high-water vehicles and boats in an attempt to find him, “but all attempts have been futile.”

The sheriff’s office is warning residents to be on guard while walking in flooded areas as wildlife — including gators, black bears, poisonous snakes and feral hogs — may have been displaced during Ida and moved closer to neighborhoods.
Alligator suspected of killing man in Hurricane Ida floodwaters found with what appears to be human remains in its stomach

A 504-pound alligator was captured in the area where a St. Tammany Parish man was last seen after he walked in floodwaters following Hurricane Ida, the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office said.
The man, identified as Timothy Satterlee Sr., was last seen on August 30, CNN previously reported. His wife told authorities that she heard a commotion and saw a large alligator attacking her husband.
St. Tammany Parish Sheriff Randy Smith "vowed" that his agency "would use all of the resources and manpower available to bring some sort of closure to the family," a statement from the parish reads.

For three weeks, crews from local and state agencies have been looking for Satterlee or the alligator that attacked him, and on Tuesday the agency found the 12-foot alligator they believe attacked the man.
The alligator was trapped and taken to a secure site to be searched, the sheriff's department said. "Once the alligator was searched, it was discovered to have what appears to be human remains inside its stomach. Investigators will work with the St. Tammany Parish Coroner's Office to verify those remains belong to Timothy Satterlee," the statement said.
"This is a horrible tragedy and my sincere condolences and sympathy goes to the Satterlee family," Sheriff Smith said.

Call the animal police.

Mary Roach’s new book ‘Fuzz’ explores the ‘criminal’ lives of animals

Roach profiles mugging monkeys, thieving bears and more

Fuzz
Mary Roach
W.W. Norton & Co., $26.95

Around the world, criminals run free in the forest. These villains can’t be arrested — because they’re not human. In her latest book, Fuzz: When Nature Breaks the Law, Mary Roach puts the spotlight on these miscreants. On the Midway Islands, albatrosses carry out suicide missions against the U.S. Navy’s planes. In Colorado, bears break and enter, raiding the refrigerators of mountain homes. And deer do so much jaywalking.

Nature’s perp list also includes camels, mountain lions, crows and many more. Through such examples, Roach tackles this question: What should we do when animals break laws intended for people?

The book brims with Roach’s irreverent humor, which particularly shines when she experiences human-animal conflict firsthand. She tastes rat bait to better understand its allure and gets training on how to tell if a human body was mauled by a bear or by a human pretending to be a bear. She even engineers a robbery: “I had bananas. I was asking for it. I wanted to know what it was like to be mugged by monkeys.”

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/mary-roach-new-book-fuzz-explores-criminal-lives-animals-nature

A snake knocked out electricity to an entire town in North Carolina.
Snake knocks out power for entire North Carolina town

Utility officials in North Carolina said a snake was responsible for a substation fire that left an entire town and the surrounding area without power.

Duke Energy said more than 1,400 customers in Denton and the surrounding area were without electricity Wednesday morning after a snake came into contact with equipment at a substation, sparking a fire. ...

The Denton Fire Department said the fire did major damage to the substation.

"Fire at the Duke substation has been extinguished but major repairs will be needed to restore power. ..."
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...e-Energy-Denton-North-Carolina/5881631810630/

Otters are mysteriously attacking people and dogs in Alaska's largest city

Residents of Alaska's largest city often contend with bears and moose, but state officials are warning of another wild animal that has been causing problems: river otters. The Alaska Department of Fish and Game says river otters have attacked people and pets in some of the city's most popular outdoor areas.

mean-otter.jpeg

Officials are asking people to be extra careful when they are around rivers, creeks and lakes along the city's greenbelt.

Earlier this month, a 9-year-old boy was taken to an emergency room for a rabies shot after being bitten several times near a duck pond.

"This week, another woman was bitten while rescuing her dog from a similar group of river otters at University Lake," Fish and Game said in a written statement. Another dog was bitten at a different area of the same lake, which is a popular dog walking trail.

River otter attacks do happen, but are not considered commonplace, Fish and Game said. It's not known if the attacks came from the same group of otters.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/otters-attacking-people-dogs-anchorage-alaska/

maximus the friendly otter

Last edited by a moderator:
A red squirrel in North Dakota has selected this man's pickup truck as its winter nesting place, and it's been hiding hundreds of black walnuts throughout the vehicle - some in places from which the owner can't extract them.
Squirrel stores thousands of nuts inside man's parked truck

A man in North Dakota has been saddled with a massive cleanup job, caused by a tiny, furry perpetrator. ...

"The red squirrel will come behind, run along the frame rail and all the way up to the front," said Bill Fischer.

Fischer just cannot win the war. A beautiful black walnut tree in the yard produces nuts that a red squirrel finds irresistible. However, the squirrel has picked Fisher's Chevy Avalanche as the winter storage hideout for hundreds of these nuts, each about the size of a small lemon.

"A lot of places, in the radiator fan, all the way through here, that corner has been covered full with walnuts," said Fischer. "It was planning on camping there for the winter."

Fischer has cleaned out 42 gallons of black walnuts from his truck from every crack and crevice of his Avalanche. ...

That includes the engine compartment, fenders... nothing is off limits.

"I had to pull the fenders off and clean out all the walnuts out, and thought I had them all and took it down the road, turned the corner and found one rolling inside the windshield where the wipers go," said Fischer. ...
FULL STORY (With Photos & Video): https://local12.com/news/offbeat/sq...black-walnuts-cleanup-gallons-chevy-avalanche

This Australian tour guide has good reason to look miffed. He didn't follow the advice he'd given his passengers and ended up having a croc lunge out of the water to clamp onto his arm.
Croc-Sock.jpg
Australian ‘a bit sore’ after hand was caught in croc’s jaws

An Australian wildlife tour operator said he was lucky to escape more serious injury or even death when a crocodile lunged from a river and clamped his hand in its jaws.

Sean Dearly was attacked on Monday on the Adelaide River which is renowned for its “jumping crocodiles” — large crocodiles that rise vertically from the water to snatch chicken carcasses dangled from long poles extended from tourist cruise boats. ...

“I’m feeling all right. I’m a bit sore in the arm, of course, but, yeah, I survived it,” he told Nine Network television.

Dearly had his right hand and forearm in a cast, but did not detail his injuries. He had undergone surgery to repair a severed tendon in his hand ...

Dearly said he told the 18 tourists on his cruise on Monday to keep their entire bodies inside the boat at all times for safety. ...

He then did the opposite when he decided to retrieve a pole he had been using to feed meat to raptors and had dropped overboard.

He was about to grab the pole and “immediately something lunged on to me” ...

The crocodile remained clamped on to his arm as he drew back. ...

Dearly said he hoped the crocodile would not twist its body, which could have caused more serious tearing wounds and potentially dragged him overboard.

“If it had gone into a twist, it would have given me a bit of grief” ...

“It went for another bite and it actually released its grip and I just got my arm out as soon as it released. So I was pretty lucky it dropped back down in the water,” he added. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/business...re-australia-1bb461a5510fec71b8fb58b237efe8a3

Popstar Shakira attacked by wild boar.

"Pop superstar Shakira says she was the victim of a random attack by a pair of wild boars while walking in a park in Barcelona with her eight-year-old son.

The Colombian singer said the animals attacked her, before seizing her bag and retreating with it into the woods.

She shared her bizarre tale in a series of Instagram stories on Wednesday.

Holding the now recovered but torn bag towards the camera, she said: "Look at how two wild boar which attacked me in the park have left my bag.""

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58747464

Back