• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

An apparent clarification is needed on the Killer Kalua story ... According to the Indian article cited by the Daily Mail, Kalua's rampage wasn't recent. He has been held by a zoo for some 3 years now.

The new news is that zoo personnel have apparently given up on trying to rehabilitate Kalua, and they've decided he'll spend the rest of his life in captivity at their zoo.

After several efforts, Kalua was caught and brought to the Kanpur zoo.

"We kept him in isolation for some months and then shifted him to a separate cage. There has been no change in his behaviour and he remains as aggressive as he was. It has been three years since he was brought here, but now it has been decided that he will remain in captivity all his life," said the zoo doctor Mohd Nasir.

https://gulfnews.com/world/asia/india/india-drunk-monkey-to-spend-life-behind-bars-1.1592287077922

Family rescue bear cub swimming with a plastic jar stuck on its head

From Wisconsin.

Tricia Hurt and her family were fishing when they spotted the animal swimming in the lake and decided to help.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yellowstone Park visitor approaches within 10 feet of bison multiple times to take snapshots, gets trip to hospital for her trouble ...
Bison gores woman in Yellowstone National Park after multiple close approaches

A bison gored a 72-year-old woman in Yellowstone National Park after she "approached within 10 feet of a bison multiple times to take its photo," according to a National Park Service press release.

The press release said the incident occurred last Thursday evening at the California woman’s campsite at Bridge Bay Campground.

The woman was transported to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center via helicopter after rangers provided immediate care on-site for multiple goring wounds. ...

“The series of events that led to the goring suggest the bison was threatened by being repeatedly approached to within 10 feet,” Yellowstone’s Senior Bison Biologist Chris Geremia said in the press release.

“Bison are wild animals that respond to threats by displaying aggressive behaviors like pawing the ground, snorting, bobbing their head, bellowing, and raising their tail. If that doesn’t make the threat (in this instance it was a person) move away, a threatened bison may charge. To be safe around bison, stay at least 25 yards away, move away if they approach, and run away or find cover if they charge,” Geremia added. ...

SOURCE: https://www.kbzk.com/news/local-new...national-park-after-multiple-close-approaches

Macaques slap squirrels in the face ..

Man that's one psychedelic looking squirrel! Wish we had those effervescing round here. Macaques too! That would liven thing up here in Portland --if anyone noticed them

Dog swallowed 26 golf balls on walk

Neil Taylor had let him off his lead near a golf course as there were no golfers due to Covid-19.

Alfie, a 10-year-old giant Schnauzer, had also scoffed rubber gloves, a ball of string – and “multiple” pieces of wood.

he became poorly and then vomited four balls up in their back garden last month.

A trip to the vet revealed the scale of the problem, requiring surgery.

1593775752160.png

I got this from a philosophy Twitter

Man gets eaten by crocodile. Crocodile caught. Body parts exhumed from crocodile.

Remove asterisks if you insist on viewing the video.

https://***twitter.com/CNoumena/status/1291447952943316992?s=19

And from an economy weblog comment:

Meanwhile, in 2020 libertarian news, the Libertarian Party candidate for President has been bitten by a possibly rabid bat.

(Which tells us that, yes, the Libertarian Party has apparently already chosen its candidate, and yes, the Libertarian Party also has female members.)

A rabid politician?

I was off out stalking at 0500 a couple of weeks ago. On a straight, dry, well-lit road with no other traffic about, and in broad daylight with my dipped-beam headlights on, an effing muntjac burst out of the hedge on the offside and ran right across the road in my path. I was unable to brake and swerve enough, and I just clipped the brute's left rear leg. It ran off, apparently little the worse for the encounter.

I examined the damage and thought, "I've got away with this!" One body panel had sprung loose from its clip, and I managed to push it back into place with a reassuring clack. The FNS sidelight had gone walkies as a unit, but I thought I'd got off lightly.

I continued to my permission where, to add to my good mood, I barely even saw a deer, much less got a shot.

I sent pics to my insurance company, thinking that at worst I'd have to have one body panel replaced. Seriously, unless you got to arm's length and looked closely, the car appeared undamaged.

The result? An estimate of over £1,500 for repairs! Luckily I have good insurance, but I can kiss goodbye to my excess, though my No Claims Discount is protected.

Believe me, the irony of the incident is not lost on me. I would, however, point out that before costing me a large amount of money, any animal species would do well to establish that:

a) It wasn't delicious.

b) It wasn't an unpopular pest to agriculture, and;

c) The person whom it discommodes doesn't have the necessary permission, inclination and equipment to shoot it.

Grrr...

maimus otter

Eagle kills drone and stalls aerial mapping project.
Bald eagle shows air superiority, sends drone into lake

A bald eagle launched an aerial assault on a drone operated by the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy — known as EGLE — ripping off a propeller and sending the aircraft into Lake Michigan.

The attack happened July 21, when the drone was mapping shoreline erosion ...

Environmental quality analyst and drone pilot Hunter King said he had completed about seven minutes of the mapping flight when satellite reception became spotty. ...

King pressed a button to return the $950 drone to him and was viewing his video screen when the drone began to twirl.

“It was like a really bad roller coaster ride,” said King, who looked up and saw the eagle flying away, apparently unhurt by its confrontation with technology.

Two birdwatchers who were nearby saw the bird attack something but told officials they didn’t realize it was a drone.

The drone sent 27 warning notifications in the 3.5 seconds that it took to spiral to the water, including one noting that a propeller was missing. A search of the shoreline failed to find the drone. Data later revealed that it landed in 4 feet of water about 150 feet offshore.

EGLE’s drone team is considering what it can do to reduce the possibility of a repeat attack, including possibly using “skins” or other designs on the aircraft to make them look less like seagulls, the agency said.

SOURCE: https://apnews.com/d1d82d7519063f09911b7cde3cd8465a

Turkey becomes aggressive enough to force closure of the park where he was a well-liked resident, and authorities are having trouble catching and evicting him.
California city hunting aggressive turkey that forced park closure

Officials in a California said they are attempting to capture and relocate a wild turkey that was a longtime beloved resident before becoming so aggressive he forced the closure of a local park.

Residents of the Grand Lake neighborhood of Oakland said Gerald the turkey has been a longtime resident of the area and was beloved by locals before he started becoming territorial and aggressive toward humans earlier in the summer -- about the time turkey mating season began. ...

Gerald's behavior became so aggressive that city officials ordered the closing of the neighborhood's Morcom Rose Garden.

"He's still there," Ann Dunn, director of Oakland Animal Services, told the East Bay Times. "A Department of Fish and Wildlife officer tried to trap him and couldn't, so he gave up."

Officials said efforts are underway to capture and relocate the turkey. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...urkey-that-forced-park-closure/4581597348184/

Fearsome flying fish flattens fisherman.

Fish launches into boat off Darwin, killing 56-year-old man, NT Police say
By Sowaibah Hanifie and Steve Vivian
Posted 7hhours ago, updated 2hhours ago

A 56-year-old man has died in Darwin after being struck in his chest by a fish while on a fishing boat.

Key points:
  • Police say the fish hit the man while he was inside the fishing boat
  • The man was rushed to Cullen Bay jetty where he passed away
  • Police say the man was fishing with family and friends
Northern Territory Police say the man had been fishing with family and friends on Darwin Harbour on Friday when he was "struck in his chest by a large fish which launched itself into the boat".

A local fisherman said he understood the fish was an 18-kilogram mackerel.

"From reports, it was like an 18-kilo mackerel, so it would have been a big fish that speared right into this guy and caused major blunt [force] trauma," James Crane said. ...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08...t-off-darwin-killing-56-year-old-man/12562100

Cur Cuts Cops' Cable Connection Causing Considerable Cost; Culprit's Capture Confounds Constabulary ...
Bad boy! Dog costs Mississippi officials more than $7,000

A curious dog got hold of a fiber optic cable that ran between county buildings in Mississippi, chewing it to pieces and costing county officials thousands of dollars in an attempt to get it fixed.

The cable connected a courthouse and a nearby Justice Court building in Amite County ...

The culprit was not caught in the act, but officials saw “his running mate” through the security camera ...

The sheriff has a suspect in mind but lacks evidence to hold up his charge. If officials knew who the troublemaker was, the county could seek damages, which amounts to more than $7,000, from the owner ...

Amite County Justice Court Judge Roger Arnold said it’s his first time hearing a case like this.

“I did hear the suspect was still at large,” he quipped.

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/9bab5a8ffb148bb3fab38e18b45fb032

Don't wrestle with lions.

A South African lion keeper died after a game of wrestling with two lionesses he had raised as cubs “got a bit rough”.

West Mathewson, 68, was playing with Demi and Tanner when “instincts got the better of one of them” and he was seriously injured.

He died on the way to hospital after the incident at Lion Tree Top Lodge outside Hoedspruit, near the Kruger National Park yesterday. A spokeswoman at the lodge told The Times the white lions would “definitely not be put down”.

She added: “West loved those cats as much as his children and spent much of the day with them every day. They didn’t mean him any harm and it was just a tragic accident. They will continue to be loved and protected until the day they leave this earth.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...-rough-wrestling-bout-with-his-pets-5dbtpxmfk

Back